Update From The God Himself - Dr. Takashi Tsuji

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
it's 10 times easier, how is injecting cells as opposed to an entire graft much harder? the nylon sh*t is also completely outdated. all of you really don't know what you are talking about and neither do i but this is just pure speculation

Point to me an article that shows this treatment will be a cellular injection. Every interview that has been done from his team, thats been voiced through an article has said it will still surround traditional transplantation but they'll need to use a nylon thread to 1) keep the pores open 2) guide the cell into the correct position so it grows in the correct direction. The most recent article i read regarding that technique was summer 2018. If you can point me to a piece of literature that talks about an injection then great. But as usual like with CB you're getting triggered because you realise it isn't going to be quite how you want it to be.

forlorn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I find it curious how Replicel's treatment is legitimately around the corner now, yet we've been so caught up in the affairs of Organ Technologies that we've half-forgotten about them. We used to hold these two companies in almost the same high regard not so long ago. I suppose the prospect of permanently restoring your hair eclipses that of a maintenance treatment - even though once released, it'll probably be the most efficient way of maintaining out there (until cloned hair follicles become a commercial reality).

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
I find it curious how Replicel's treatment is legitimately around the corner now, yet we've been so caught up in the affairs of Organ Technologies that we've half-forgotten about them. We used to hold these two companies in almost the same high regard not so long ago. I suppose the prospect of permanently restoring your hair eclipses that of a maintenance treatment - even though once released, it'll probably be the most efficient way of maintaining out there (until cloned hair follicles become a commercial reality).

I think we’re all still somewhat worried how effective shiseido / replicel will actually be. I’ve heard people talk about 5 year maintenance data but haven’t actually seen it. The results we’re waiting for should hopefully answer this.

Mighty

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im pretty sure they worked out the Cancer problem early on.

I think the big concern is the reality that the technique for this will take years and years to develop. I mean only now are transplants looking natural-ish, and thats only by the top surgeons. My understanding of this is that technically its 10x more complicated so if like with hair transplant there is an artistic element that needs to be developed, then its going to be many more years ...

I am pretty sure they are very careful about the cancer issue. In my opinion, the problem is that for such therapy to become accessible to the public, cancer needs to be a side effect with a near zero chance of happening. I don't know how this kind of stuff is regulated or if there is a small allowed margin for a side-effect like cancer, but I imagine discussions like this one will become more common in the future when stem cell therapy becomes a bit more popular.

Imagine that if, after they release the treatment, 0,05% of people are affected by cancer. 5 people out of 10,000 for example. Is this acceptable? I have no idea. I guess they might have to deal with this issue in the future.

mo2019

My Regimen
Reaction score

It’s been around the corner since 2016 mate

Dogma

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
They moved clinical trials to 2020 everyone thought it was going to start sometime in 2019.
No we originally thought they were going to start in 2018, as per the interview we had with the CEO of Organ technologies that the moderators organized awhile ago. And then with the inception of this thread we thought they would start in 2019. I hate to say it but I was right, if they are faltering back to a 2020 date to initiate human trials now. f***, I just knew that there would not be full market approval by 2020, I actually thought it’s quite possible for them to get conditional market approval in 2020 within Japan, I guess optimistically that still is a possibility if everything goes absolutely perfectly for them, however no human trail this year I would not bet on it, honestly I feel I was/am being pollyish even if they did start this year.

Last edited:

Dogma

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
tsuji has grown actual human hair on human skin that was put on a mouse, what do you think would happen if you'd take those hairs that have already been made and verified to be indeed human and having a proper hair cycle and transplant it onto the human scalp?

damn I want to see what happens then, I guess hopefully next year we will see
I don’t know, I sit in anticipation just like you… Hair follicle Neogenesis has never been done in human models YET. And other labs have tried with extracted papilla (mesenchymal) cells and epidermal cells, interchanging tissue and cells between mice and human models, etc.

Here’s something that is quite interesting from a different research paper 2015:

This review summarizes current advances in the different experimental strategies to regenerate or neogenerate hair follicles, with emphasis on those involving neogenesis of hair follicles in adult individuals using isolated cells and tissue engineering. Most of these experiments were performed using rodent cells, particularly from embryonic or newborn origin. However, no successful strategy to generate human hair follicles from adult cells has yet been reported. This review identifies several issues that should be considered to achieve this objective. Perhaps the most important challenge is to provide three-dimensional culture conditions mimicking the structure of living tissue. Improving culture conditions that allow the expansion of specific cells while protecting their inductive properties, as well as methods for selecting populations of epithelial stem cells, should give us the necessary tools to overcome the difficulties that constrain human hair follicle neogenesis.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4444612/

Another study looking at actually healing wounds (grafting, combinding human and rodent cells and tissues in a variety of different ways) in general but obviously looked at regenerating hair follicles expressed the same challenge about culturing papilla cells and maintaining the inductive properties which are shown to be capable of regenerating hair follicles (I know Tsuji is extracting papilla cells, and as the citation shows from the 2010 study it is rectified in 3-D dermal spears more a kin to the actual structure of living tissue, something Tsuji and their team are utilizing):

During embryogenesis, mesenchymal cells signal the overlying epithelium to induce HF formation, and in adults a specialized group of mesenchymal cells, the dermal papilla (DP) cells, have been shown to retain the capacity to induce HF regeneration (Hardy 1992, Reddy et al., 2001, Gharzi et al., 2003). DP cells from rodents induce HFs in a variety of assays (reviewed in Ohyama et al., 2010), but it has been difficult to grow human DP cells that maintain inductive capacity in culture (Higgins et al., 2010). Recent technological advances have enabled the use of human cells to form chimeric HFs, for example by combining human keratinocytes and rodent mesenchymal cells in chamber assays (Ehama et al. 2007), human scalp dermal papilla cells and mouse epidermal keratinocytes in flap grafts (Qiao et al., 2009) or injecting human DP cells, grown as spheroids, together with mouse epidermal cells in reconstitution or “patch” assays (Kang et al., 2012). However, to date, complete and entirely human HFs formed from normal cultured cells have not been reported.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3947143/

Very promising when looking at Dr. Tsuji work we clearly see neogeneration of new hair follicles (after the cultivated cells produce the regenerated hair germ that is implanted):
The hair follicle is the only organ known to regenerate repeatedly after birth (hair cycles*3). In 2012, the research team isolated epithelial stem cells and follicle dermal papilla cells (mesenchymal stem cells)*4from the follicles of mature mouse whiskers and body hair and used them to develop a technology for the regeneration of follicular primordium by utilizing an “organ primordium technology*5” previously developed by the same team. Transplanting the regenerated follicular primordium into hairless mice results in the growth of regenerative follicles, thus demonstrating the feasibility of hair shaft regeneration. The transplanted primordium also forms connections with surrounding tissues (arrector pili muscle and nerves) and repeats normal hair cycles. Furthermore, this method allows control of the hair color by adding pigment stem cells, and the number of hair follicles regenerated, elevating its potential for the aesthetic treatment of alopecia.
https://global.kyocera.com/news/2016/0702_nfid.html

Dr. Tsuji and his team clearly have ( according to their diagrams, and research) begun to address what the researchers in the previous study deemed to be the most challenging part to regenerating or neogenerating human hair follicles “Three-dimensional culture conditions mimicking the structure of living tissue“ That is very promising when you concatenate the studies observations, especially considering that the transplanted “ Primordium/germ” form connections with the surrounding tissue in the animal model. I am a laymen but to me that would be demonstrative of a success in “mimicking the structure of living tissue“. The key here is will the regenerated hair germ respond the same in human models, time will tell, The other thing is fluctuating results between each individual; naturally something that is always a concern and taken into consideration with any kind of new/next generation treatment.

P.S Don’t even get me started on the inadequacies of modern medicine, and the mythopoetic society we live in, that proclaims we have so much advancements in modern medicine, addressing a wide variety of ailments. Miniature organs have been regenerated in vitro, A heart, a kidney, a penis, even a mini brain, etc. but this is just the very very early onset, glimmering hope that may be borderline delusional. I can only imagine what it will take to actually cultivate a functioning heart using a patient’s own cells therefore making the organ autologous, greatly reducing the risk of rejection. I have no right to speculate I’m not qualified, but even repairing 2 cm of spinal tissue is decades away to potentially not possible ( when looking at chronic injuries, which would require axons to re-sprout all throughout the body, there is more hope for acute injuries obviously), so functioning autologous organ is ready for transplant… I believe genetic therapies will become more viable before cellular biologist reach such heights, or more realistically develop cellular therapies that can repair any cardiomyopathy, that is much more realistic for the coming decades.

Attachments

• 4FF82EEC-5380-4EC4-A1F5-77DA4AFDC80E.jpeg
    4FF82EEC-5380-4EC4-A1F5-77DA4AFDC80E.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:

LebronJames23

My Regimen
Reaction score
I want to know how this Tsuji innovation could be helpfull for every type of hair situation.
I mean, in most cases, alopecia can not be stopped but only opposed..for this reason even if a hair transplant, your old hair will continue to fall..so, over time, it’s likely you need more then one singol transplant...the problem could be that over time the donor area no longer has the requirements..with Tsuji hair solution this problem doesn’t exist. I think the Tsuji proposal could be a lifelong therapy. every tot time the patient have to make the transplant in order to reach and then maintain their aesthetic results..obviously the cost of this depends on person
What you think about this?

ZP31

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I want to know how this Tsuji innovation could be helpfull for every type of hair situation.
I mean, in most cases, alopecia can not be stopped but only opposed..for this reason even if a hair transplant, your old hair will continue to fall..so, over time, it’s likely you need more then one singol transplant...the problem could be that over time the donor area no longer has the requirements..with Tsuji hair solution this problem doesn’t exist. I think the Tsuji proposal could be a lifelong therapy. every tot time the patient have to make the transplant in order to reach and then maintain their aesthetic results..obviously the cost of this depends on person

Yeah, we all know this and have already talked about it.

H

Reaction score
Read their actual website.

JimmyB

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

You answered your own question. Replicel is a.) a maintenance treatment, which disqualifies some of the balding population that is already too far gone, and b.) still relatively unproven. Their photos have been sketchy and pretty underwhelming. Not to mention, you'd have to travel to Japan (maybe Germany will be another option?) in the beginning, which makes it even less appealing for a maintenance drug.

Organ tech, on the other hand, is basically a hair transplant with endless donor supply, so there's less to be skeptical about if they can get cloned follicles to survive.

Cymro27

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
News of our friend: Dr. Takashi Tsuji, really looks that our dream will be become true :)

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41596-019-0124-z

Interesting that it seems it has functioning sebaceous glands already. Always thought that it was basically a cluster of cells that have kept their own function/niche role (rather than ips) in a 3d scaffold that got transplanted, then later develop into fully functioning features like sebaceous glands once in vivo.

The organ is far more complete prior to implant than I expected.