Update From The God Himself - Dr. Takashi Tsuji

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Reading comprehension on this forum is about as bad as the forum's server. I didn't say the inductivity problem is minor, I said it had been resolved based on what was said before. That was the major hurdle, the ones they had left at the time were minor.

Where did I say that YOU called the problem 'minor'?

I said the DP cell inductivity problem was not minor.

Last edited:

SausageDawg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Would love it if someone could explain this inductivity problem? (I did try searching it lol). From what I've gathered it's something to do with 'expanding' Dermal papilla cells in-vitro and how they lose inductivity after doing so. So what does this mean in terms of human hair loss?

Throwaway94

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Would love it if someone could explain this inductivity problem? (I did try searching it lol). From what I've gathered it's something to do with 'expanding' Dermal papilla cells in-vitro and how they lose inductivity after doing so. So what does this mean in terms of human hair loss?

I gotchu fam.

Inductivity refers to a cell's ability to signal and induce differentiation in other stem cells via expression of the associated markers and signalling molecules.

Through multiple passes of expansion in culture, historically, these cells lose their ability to signal correctly which means that they would end up inert when reintroduced into human scalp instead of inducing hair follicle cell formation from the stem cells around.

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Pretty much.

The plan is basically to take a small sample of skin from the patient's donor area, multiply the relevant cells, and reintroduce them into the balding areas to cause regrowth. The relevant cells are the Dermal Papillae.

A couple of research operations reached that point in the 2000s. But the extracted DP cells kept losing their function (as they were multiplied outside the body) and it crapped the results. The clinical trials would fail to produce much new hair and the investors would pull the plug.

Tsuji's mission has been to beat that DP cell multiplication problem.

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
I can't wait to see my new hair growing inside a fishtank like container then having them planted back on my head. That sounds so freaking awesome

nameless2

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I still see that stuff unobtainable and unaffordable for a while. Nothing is certain till we can see a full head of hair on a NW6 diffused or not 6 month post procedure then we can clap in our hands and hopefully observe some revitalization in the competition.

If Tsuji's treatment comes to market It'll probably be unobtainable for some posters but it'll be obtainable for other posters. It is what it is. Minoxidil & Finasteride works on some people but not on others. That's life. Tsuji's treatment will be expensive initially. Only people with big money may be able to get it initially. That's all true. But it's still in all of our best interests for cellular hair loss cures, that actually work, to come to market.

So far cellular hair loss tech has failed miserably. Look at Intercytex, Aderans, & Replicel. Owing to inductivity issues they don't work. It would be good for us all if a cellular treatment could finally produce good results. Then at least there would be a cure in the marketplace & it would be up to each of us to get the cash to pay for it.

Also, once a successful cellular treatment hits the market others could soon follow and as more of them hit the market the price could come down. We need one that works to hit the marketplace to get that ball rolling.

Last edited:

nameless2

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think you've misunderstood the inductivity problem a little bit.
It has nothing to do with whether the cells they use were induced or not. The issue is getting them to remain inductive through multiple passes of replication.

This has largely been solved already using various 3D structures to facilitate replication, it's quite commonplace at this point. One must assume that Tsuji's team is at the forefront of this technology as well. If they're not... well then we think a little too highly of them.

I don't assume anything. That's my nature. As you say, if Tsuji hasn't solved the inductivity problem "we" think too highly of him. When you say "we" you refer to posters who assume he has solved that problem. I'm not one of those posters.

I've known for years that the inductivity problem is about inductivty lost during mass-pass culture. When I said that the cells that have been used so far (by Intercytex, Aderans, and Replicel) were not induced I was referring to the state of the cells after mass-pass culture.

I know Jahoda & Christiano did an experiment using 3d structures & preserved SOME cell inductivity during mass-pass culture. I think that experiment was about 5+ years ago.

After that, I read stories from Hair Loss Congresses that said scientists reported techniques that preserve more & more cellular inductivity during mass-pass culture. I don't know if Tsuji is allowed to use that tech for his own personal gain though. It seems like the scientists who invented those techniques own that tech. I think Tsuji may need the approval of those other scientists to use their tech or Tsuji may have to invent his own way to achieve the same results.

So I agree with you that a few years ago science found ways to protect virtually ALL cellular inductivity during mass-pass culture, but whether or not Tsuji can use that tech, which was invented by other researchers, is another question. Why would he be allowed to just grab that tech & use it in a commercial enterprise? Don't the scientists who invented that tech have some rights regarding the tech they invented? I *think* he might have to invent his own way of doing the same thing.

Then there's the issue that when scientists add some new tech to their protocol they might have to start the entire project over at least somewhat because adding new tech to their protocol = creating a new treatment.

Last edited:

SausageDawg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I gotchu fam.

Inductivity refers to a cell's ability to signal and induce differentiation in other stem cells via expression of the associated markers and signalling molecules.

Through multiple passes of expansion in culture, historically, these cells lose their ability to signal correctly which means that they would end up inert when reintroduced into human scalp instead of inducing hair follicle cell formation from the stem cells around.

Legend. So basically they've got no issues when it comes to cell multiplication.. the problem is the cells becoming non functional when grafted? Why do we seem to run into so many hurdles for such a pointless physical trait lol

Throwaway94

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Legend. So basically they've got no issues when it comes to cell multiplication.. the problem is the cells becoming non functional when grafted? Why do we seem to run into so many hurdles for such a pointless physical trait lol

No no they lose certain functionalities when they're multiplied as single cells without the perfect medium (which hasn't been developed). But it seems with the right 3D culturing structure and two or more of the right cell types they've managed to create functional follicle-like organoids.

SausageDawg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No no they lose certain functionalities when they're multiplied as single cells without the perfect medium (which hasn't been developed). But it seems with the right 3D culturing structure and two or more of the right cell types they've managed to create functional follicle-like organoids.

Cheers bro, I need to look more into these signalling pathways.. they seem to play a major role in all these treatments.

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't assume anything. That's my nature. As you say, if Tsuji hasn't solved the inductivity problem "we" think too highly of him. When you say "we" you refer to posters who assume he has solved that problem. I'm not one of those posters.

I've known for years that the inductivity problem is about inductivty lost during mass-pass culture. When I said that the cells that have been used so far (by Intercytex, Aderans, and Replicel) were not induced I was referring to the state of the cells after mass-pass culture.

I know Jahoda & Christiano did an experiment using 3d structures & preserved SOME cell inductivity during mass-pass culture. I think that experiment was about 5+ years ago.

After that, I read stories from Hair Loss Congresses that said scientists reported techniques that preserve more & more cellular inductivity during mass-pass culture. I don't know if Tsuji is allowed to use that tech for his own personal gain though. It seems like the scientists who invented those techniques own that tech. I think Tsuji may need the approval of those other scientists to use their tech or Tsuji may have to invent his own way to achieve the same results.

So I agree with you that a few years ago science found ways to protect virtually ALL cellular inductivity during mass-pass culture, but whether or not Tsuji can use that tech, which was invented by other researchers, is another question. Why would he be allowed to just grab that tech & use it in a commercial enterprise? Don't the scientists who invented that tech have some rights regarding the tech they invented? I *think* he might have to invent his own way of doing the same thing.

Then there's the issue that when scientists add some new tech to their protocol they might have to start the entire project over at least somewhat because adding new tech to their protocol = creating a new treatment.

Stem Cells for Everyone: Revolutionizing Regenerative Medicine with Mass Manufacturing of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs)

ALO ALTO, Calif., July 15, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- I Peace, Inc. (CEO: Koji Tanabe, https://ipeace.com/), a Palo Alto-based biotech startup focusing on Nobel Prize-wining technology of induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) has successfully developed a novel system to mass manufacture clinical-grade iPSCs for cell therapy in a palm-size closed cassette. The system was developed in collaboration with FANUC CORPORATION (Head Office: Oshino, Yamanashi Prefecture, Japan; CEO: Kenji Yamaguchi). The technology is modular and scalable with a small footprint, paving the way for simultaneous mass production of clinical-grade iPSCs from a multitude of donors in a single facility.

Induced pluripotent stem cells (iPS cells or iPSCs) are stem cells induced from somatic cells that are reprogrammed to an embryonic stem cell-like state by introducing special factors (genes). iPSCs are able to become any type of cells in the body and proliferate almost indefinitely, like an embryonic stem cell. Unlike embryonic stem cells, iPSCs can be made from matured cells in the body, such as skin or blood cells, from anyone. iPSCs-derived cell therapy generated from a patient's own cells minimizes the risk of immune rejection. It is expected to change the course of regenerative medicine, drug discovery, and personalized medicine.

Unlike other stem cells such as mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) and hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs), iPSCs can differentiate into all tissue and cell types, can be made with a small amount of cells, and can be grown to quantities necessary. These unique abilities make iPSCs unrivaled as stem cells of choice for patient-specific cell therapy and drug discovery. For example, COVID19/SARS-CoV-2-targeted lung cells, differentiated from patient-derived iPSCs, are a valuable in vitro disease model and can be used for drug and vaccine discovery for SARS-CoV-2.

There are numerous ongoing preclinical and clinical studies involving iPSCs for diseases such as age-related macular degeneration, spinal cord injury, heart failure, GvHD, etc. with several of them yielding positive results. However, the manufacturing of high quality, clinical-grade iPSCs currently faces a bottleneck. The iPSCs used in the first clinical trial in Japan cost approximately one million USD and took one year to generate. At this cost and the rate of production, personalized stem cell-based medicine would not be practical.

I Peace's novel methodology to manufacture clinical-grade iPSCs in an automated closed, compact, and modular device provides the scalability required for mass parallel production of personalized clinical-grade iPSC lines within the I Peace GMP facility. I Peace will shortly begin gradually increasing its production capability while carefully examining logistical issues associated with mass production of iPSCs. This technology enables dramatic cost reduction and efficient production of clinical-grade iPSCs from multiple donors at the same time, paving the way for a future of global personalized stem cell-based medicine.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...d-pluripotent-stem-cells-ipscs-301092785.html

https://ipeace.com/

RolfLeeBuckler

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www2.bdr.riken.jp/renkei/2020/

Takashi Tsuji will hold a lecture on 5. August 2020
11:30-12:30 "Takashi Tsuji Organ regeneration by self-organization of stem cells" - it is a ZOOM conference

Does somebody here know a japanese who can participate in this Zoom-conference and share the informations Tsuji will give?

@Trichosan is it possible that your wife log in to Tsujis lecture?

It is very important that we find a person who will collect the informations about Tsujis lecture! Won't have much more possibilities to watch a Tsuji presentation in the internet!

@Fuji Maru Kagurazaka can you please participate in this conference?

生命科学におけるゲノムから個体までの多様な研究対象、研究方法を含め、原理解明から応用へ繋がる理研 生命機能科学研究センター(BDR)神戸キャンパスの先端研究を紹介します。 2020年8月5日(水) https://www2.bdr.riken.jp/renkei/2020/ 11:30-12:30 辻 孝 幹細胞の自己組織化による器官再生

The first Takashi Tsuji Zoom Conference is over now. I hope it was an interesting and exciting lecture for every participant attending on this :) :) :)

nameless2

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Stem Cells for Everyone: Revolutionizing Regenerative Medicine with Mass Manufacturing of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs)

ALO ALTO, Calif., July 15, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- I Peace, Inc. (CEO: Koji Tanabe, https://ipeace.com/), a Palo Alto-based biotech startup focusing on Nobel Prize-wining technology of induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) has successfully developed a novel system to mass manufacture clinical-grade iPSCs for cell therapy in a palm-size closed cassette. The system was developed in collaboration with FANUC CORPORATION (Head Office: Oshino, Yamanashi Prefecture, Japan; CEO: Kenji Yamaguchi). The technology is modular and scalable with a small footprint, paving the way for simultaneous mass production of clinical-grade iPSCs from a multitude of donors in a single facility.

Induced pluripotent stem cells (iPS cells or iPSCs) are stem cells induced from somatic cells that are reprogrammed to an embryonic stem cell-like state by introducing special factors (genes). iPSCs are able to become any type of cells in the body and proliferate almost indefinitely, like an embryonic stem cell. Unlike embryonic stem cells, iPSCs can be made from matured cells in the body, such as skin or blood cells, from anyone. iPSCs-derived cell therapy generated from a patient's own cells minimizes the risk of immune rejection. It is expected to change the course of regenerative medicine, drug discovery, and personalized medicine.

Unlike other stem cells such as mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) and hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs), iPSCs can differentiate into all tissue and cell types, can be made with a small amount of cells, and can be grown to quantities necessary. These unique abilities make iPSCs unrivaled as stem cells of choice for patient-specific cell therapy and drug discovery. For example, COVID19/SARS-CoV-2-targeted lung cells, differentiated from patient-derived iPSCs, are a valuable in vitro disease model and can be used for drug and vaccine discovery for SARS-CoV-2.

There are numerous ongoing preclinical and clinical studies involving iPSCs for diseases such as age-related macular degeneration, spinal cord injury, heart failure, GvHD, etc. with several of them yielding positive results. However, the manufacturing of high quality, clinical-grade iPSCs currently faces a bottleneck. The iPSCs used in the first clinical trial in Japan cost approximately one million USD and took one year to generate. At this cost and the rate of production, personalized stem cell-based medicine would not be practical.

I Peace's novel methodology to manufacture clinical-grade iPSCs in an automated closed, compact, and modular device provides the scalability required for mass parallel production of personalized clinical-grade iPSC lines within the I Peace GMP facility. I Peace will shortly begin gradually increasing its production capability while carefully examining logistical issues associated with mass production of iPSCs. This technology enables dramatic cost reduction and efficient production of clinical-grade iPSCs from multiple donors at the same time, paving the way for a future of global personalized stem cell-based medicine.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...d-pluripotent-stem-cells-ipscs-301092785.html

https://ipeace.com/

This article refers to IPS cell. Tsuji is not using IPS cells. IPS cells don't need a work-around the inductivity problem. Stemson Therapeutics is working with IPS cells to treat hair loss. I don't know how far along their research is though. I think the Coronavirus may be slowing down their research. Stemson Therapeutics is the company that I have the most faith in because they do not need to solve any inductivity issues since they're dealing with IPS cells.

forlorn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This article refers to IPS cell. Tsuji is not using IPS cells. IPS cells don't need a work-around the inductivity problem. Stemson Therapeutics is working with IPS cells to treat hair loss. I don't know how far along their research is though. I think the Coronavirus may be slowing down their research. Stemson Therapeutics is the company that I have the most faith in because they do not need to solve any inductivity issues since they're dealing with IPS cells.

Don't IPS cells have a high risk of carcinogenesis? This is among the reasons why people were excited about Tsuji's research in the first place.

nameless2

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
No new announcements :

Dear Admin,

Thank you for your interest in our research. There was no updates because the lecture was for graduate school students aiming to get fundamental knowledge. For further information, please refer to our laboratory website for the latest news on the progress of our research projects. Our laboratory is striving to advance research with the aim of fulfilling the expectations to improve quality of life for many individuals. We thank you for your patience and continued support of our research activities.

Sincerely,
Takashi Tsuji
Laboratory for Organ Regeneration
RIKEN Center for Developmental Biology Research (BDR)

https://www.hairlosscure2020.com/

Thanks for getting us this update but it really contains no new information and it answers no questions.

H

Reaction score
No new announcements :

Dear Admin,

Thank you for your interest in our research. There was no updates because the lecture was for graduate school students aiming to get fundamental knowledge. For further information, please refer to our laboratory website for the latest news on the progress of our research projects. Our laboratory is striving to advance research with the aim of fulfilling the expectations to improve quality of life for many individuals. We thank you for your patience and continued support of our research activities.

Sincerely,
Takashi Tsuji
Laboratory for Organ Regeneration
RIKEN Center for Developmental Biology Research (BDR)

https://www.hairlosscure2020.com/
We have a long wait ahead of us.

byebyehair

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sure, I realize that to a native Japanese person "IS delayed could possibly mean "WAS" delayed but there is no proof of that as of yet. I'm not going to ASSUME that to the sender "IS" means "WAS" until I have hard evidence to that fact. I'm not going to believe that the sender meant "WAS" delayed just because some guy named Pegasus (who has no connection with the actual research team) at a hair loss website wants me to believe that. I'm into facts, not some unknowing guy's wishful thinking.

And in this situation the difference between the words "IS" and "WAS" is huge. If the message sender meant "IS" that is totally different from what the message would mean if the word is supposed to be "WAS". Tthis disagreement between you and I is not some minor disagreement. The difference between "IS" and "WAS" in this matter is the ballgame, dude.
Dude. Everyone knows that difference between is and was. The way u explain it makes it seem you are very proud of yourself to figure that.

So good job man. Please go on explaining it a few more times.