Update: Follica's Presentation At The 2017 Aad Meeting

Agent

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Its nice to know that they are moving forward and doing things properly but after this info it would not be surprising if they got delayed even further:-/

tress_dreams

Reaction score
Nothings stopping the hair from falling out without finasteride and minoxidil?

I think with follica we're talking about actual follicular neogenesis. If that's the case then I'll gladly just transplant from the donor area then rely on follica to replenish the donor area. I'd imagine the new follicles from that area would be equally dht resistant. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I think with follica we're talking about actual follicular neogenesis. If that's the case then I'll gladly just transplant from the donor area then rely on follica to replenish the donor area. I'd imagine the new follicles from that area would be equally dht resistant. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sounds like a good plan. I wonder if it would work. I still think even with treatments in the future, hair transplantation will still be necessary to achieve better results. I remember having that discussion with a hair transplant doctor.

tjnpdx

Banned
Reaction score
They may have been looking for that release date but it does not seem it will happen next year.

I know we're all trying to be positive here, not jump the gun or anything, but this is pretty depressing. I'm truly surprised they didn't offer more to you. With the new website, (apparent) packaging, and the recent boost in media, it seems surprising that they'd still be 2+ years off. Either way, sad thought to face.

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm truly surprised they didn't offer more to you.

i actually blame House for that. it was probably his interviewing technique

i dont think he pressed the guy hard enough

i mean lets face it. the guy is a nw2.5 keanu reeves lookalike. why the f*** does he give a sh*t?

probably spent most of his time chatting up the hot doctors than thinking about us bald fuckers

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So, they are now aiming for a release in 2019 (best case scenario)?

If Follica is working on this new treatment for 10 years and the best possibility for a release date is 2019, I guess Tsuji will be available in 2030 (best case scenario).

Then I'll have 41... How wonderful! :(

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
i actually blame House for that. it was probably his interviewing technique

i dont think he pressed the guy hard enough

i mean lets face it. the guy is a nw2.5 keanu reeves lookalike. why the f*** does he give a sh*t?

probably spent most of his time chatting up the hot doctors than thinking about us bald fuckers
And earlier today, you called me friend. You just stabbed me in the back.:( Its true though, the hotel was full of hot dermatologists. They were distracting but I was able to focus on the main purpose of my visit. :p

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
but I was able to focus on the main purpose of my visit.

i bet u were my friend

hot nurs.jpg

Breyfogle

Established Member
Reaction score
"Current Status of Research and Commercial Availability?
Answer given was unknown, and depends upon FDA approval."

Or if they need FDA approval at all.
I thought Follica might be able to get around the FDA since the ingredients are pre-approved, no?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
"Current Status of Research and Commercial Availability?
Answer given was unknown, and depends upon FDA approval."

Or if they need FDA approval at all.
I thought Follica might be able to get around the FDA since the ingredients are pre-approved, no?
I think it has more to do with the instrument used to do the wounding than the chemicals used. The modality to do the wounding must be safe enough that it would not harm the patient. Like I mentioned before the wounding on the mice was pretty invasive but they have to reproduce a similar method but not scar your scalp with disfigurement.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it has more to do with the instrument used to do the wounding than the chemicals used. The modality to do the wounding must be safe enough that it would not harm the patient. Like I mentioned before the wounding on the mice was pretty invasive but they have to reproduce a similar method but not scar your scalp with disfigurement.

Are you skeptical about it working for Androgen Alopecia? I am.

Because how would it make the new hair DHT resistant> If it did, they wouldn't be telling
people to stick with their current medications.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Are you skeptical about it working for Androgen Alopecia? I am.

Because how would it make the new hair DHT resistant> If it did, they wouldn't be telling
people to stick with their current medications.
Good points. I think it would be an ongoing treatment. He did mention this would be more synergistic with other treatments. Its all about wounding the scalp. I guess the chemicals involved will have to be some type of DHT blocker like a topical version of finasteride. You think wounding the scalp could make the hair more DHT resistant by altering its structure?

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Good points. I think it would be an ongoing treatment. He did mention this would be more synergistic with other treatments. Its all about wounding the scalp. I guess the chemicals involved will have to be some type of DHT blocker like a topical version of finasteride. You think wounding the scalp could make the hair more DHT resistant by altering its structure?

Actually, even Histogen had that issue. They only promised hair for one growth cycle.

To be honest, Follicel doesn't make me that optimistic.

If they can't answer your questions honestly, it raises suspicion for me.

Do you feel they were honest with you? If not, they're probably hiding something. Either that, or they might
still be waiting for a patent.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Actually, even Histogen had that issue. They only promised hair for one growth cycle.

To be honest, Follicel doesn't make me that optimistic.

If they can't answer your questions honestly, it raises suspicion for me.

Do you feel they were honest with you? If not, they're probably hiding something. Either that, or they might
still be waiting for a patent.
Jason, the CEO was being honest. He just has to be tight lipped to protect his company. I understand that. They updated their website so they will reveal the data in do time. He told me that. Hey, he did not have to meet with me. The fact that he made time for me is a gesture of good faith. I thought what he did was very honorable. Most CEO's won't do that.

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not exactly the birthday news I had in mind :(

Last year was samumed on my b day and now follica

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Trying to respond to this, but I still keep getting 404d...

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not really. The take home message was you need to go to a dermatologist to do this which we were not certain about. Secondly, obviously wound healing is the key for new hair. Derma rolling might be a good idea for the time being. At least we know something is being worked on. It's main focus is for men with androgenic alopecia so that means you, Sunchyme. You won't have to shave your head to do this. I certainly would not want to. And like everything else, you have to be patient because they want to make sure the modality is the best one for everyone including the FDA which means the United States might be the place you have to have the procedure first so you will have to travel here from the UK.

I wonder why just men.

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
This quote (italics by me) caught my eye"

"After the procedure, the patient will be sent home with a similar device for at-home treatment. No specifics were provided regarding this at home treatment, and we were directed back to the website for further (existing) information."

Are they saying that the patient will be sent home with a similar wounding device?

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
Another quote of interest and again italics by me:

"Possibly Replace a Finasteride / Minoxidil Regimen?
Treatment modality not the same as Minoxidil or Finasteride, so they would most likely not discourage people from stopping their current treatments as this would just be another angle to treat hair loss and maybe give a synergistic positive result with the other treatments. In other words, treating hair loss from multiple angles is always a good thing."

I understand that in an earlier question they declined to answer if minoxidil is part of the treatment but in this (later) question they seem to be saying minoxidil is NOT part of their treatment.

Last edited: