Tsuji Riken Hair Primordiums - Final 20 Questions

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you guys read this also from Olsen? Apparently she has described also in a book of her in 2003 how in androgenetic alopecia ultimately destruction of hair follicles follows.

As affected hair follicles continue to cycle, they undergo a process of progressive miniaturization. Concurrently, the size of the dermal papillae, which is known to correlate with the size of the hair follicle and hair shaft produced, also decreases (Hardy, 1992; Paus and Cotsarelis, 1999; Messenger, 2003). The end result is the production of smaller, unpigmented vellus hairs instead of larger, pigmented terminal hairs. Although the follicles do progressively get smaller, the overall scalp follicle density appears to be preserved until late in the course of hair loss when follicles are eventually destroyed (for a thorough description, see Olsen, 2003).

Brahs. That means only Tsuji can and WILL conquer.

tsujigod.gif

Last edited:

Follisket

Established Member
Reaction score
It also means we're not getting a real fix for hair loss for at least another decade.
How are we celebrating this?

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
It also means we're not getting a real fix for hair loss for at least another decade.
How are we celebrating this?

Probably way earlier if everything goes well with their project. Maybe even as soon as ~2020. I'll celebrate on that.

H

Reaction score
Probably way earlier if everything goes well with their project. Maybe even as soon as ~2020. I'll celebrate on that.
Im kinda worried about the price then... They said in the interview it's gonna be pretty spendy to begin though and with mentioning that grafting is already 8 to 12 grand I feel like they are thinking 20 to 30 on. I mean it is understandable for a new pretty much cure all but also for the most part unattainable for a lot of us.

Hangin'on Hair

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im kinda worried about the price then... They said in the interview it's gonna be pretty spendy to begin though and with mentioning that grafting is already 8 to 12 grand I feel like they are thinking 20 to 30 on. I mean it is understandable for a new pretty much cure all but also for the most part unattainable for a lot of us.

That's what I'm thinking too. You'll always hear someone on here say that money shouldn't be an issue for hairloss, which I think is bullshit.
It's gonna cost A LOT!!!! I make pretty good money, but it still will probably be out of reach for me. You have to be able to pay for and sustain your everyday living expenses. Monthly bills and payments etc...the list goes on.
Travel expense, lodgings and the actual treatment will be sky high in cost.

resu

Reaction score
I already gave up the ideia of having a full head of hair, at this point I would be happy to not end up slick bald or with the horseshoe fully visible.

H

Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking too. You'll always hear someone on here say that money shouldn't be an issue for hairloss, which I think is bullshit.
It's gonna cost A LOT!!!! I make pretty good money, but it still will probably be out of reach for me. You have to be able to pay for and sustain your everyday living expenses. Monthly bills and payments etc...the list goes on.
Ya exactly I make decent also but I couldn't fork out much more then 12 grand on a whim.

Follisket

Established Member
Reaction score
Planning how you're going to get everything done the second it's available is all swell but in practice it would take a miracle.

There's a multitude of highly unlikely conditions that need to be met for an accessible 2020 treatment. They'd literally have to avoid even a single setback in research (while tackling uncharted territory).

And it's not like the moment they have it figured out and working they're gonna start rolling it out, making sure everyone gets their hair back in time. For several years it'll only be available in Japan and they've got nowhere near enough trained doctors they'd be willing to certify. Plus, they'll likely limit the availability in order to perfect the method first.

You think in a world of 6 billion people somehow we'll be in that tiny minority that gets it done immediately? There's enough rich people willing to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy up years' worth of appointments. You really think we can compete with the kind of money millionaires and celebrities can shell out?

And even then you'd need to wait for the hair to actually grow out - not to mention the excruciating roundabout way those who've had a hair transplant would have to go with the retransplantation of grown primordiums from the back of their heads.

We don't live in a world where everyone is scurrying and coordinating their efforts to give us our lives back. They're in it for the money and will be getting it regardless of the thousands of balding losers who'll be way past their prime by then.

I hate to say it but if a treatment that hinges on a number of highly unlikely best case scenarios is your only hope, you may as well kiss your youth goodbye.

Last edited:

KO1

Established Member
Reaction score

I hate to count my chickens etc....but I don't think this process sounds very expensive. These processes will be highly automated and done at significant scale. I think it might be cheaper than hair transplants...depending upon how much the input costs are for the reagents....but again...long way to go before we can have a dicussion on this topic.

Grasshüpfer

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
To me it's sounds like at some point your local hair surgeon will just get a fed ex box filled with liquid nitrogen and your cultured hair primordiums from Japan.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I hate to count my chickens etc....but I don't think this process sounds very expensive. These processes will be highly automated and done at significant scale. I think it might be cheaper than hair transplants...depending upon how much the input costs are for the reagents....but again...long way to go before we can have a dicussion on this topic.

See, where you go wrong is that in the interview right here on this site, the CEO of Organ Tech said that they feel the treatment will initially be quite expensive — it will become more affordable with time.

Beowulf

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Plus, they'll likely limit the availability in order to perfect the method first.

From what I've heard they are expecting to serve something like 10,000 people per year at first. For most people it's less about the practicality of having hair here and now and just knowing that their condition is reversible. Either way it sounds like Kyocera's job in the whole process is just figuring out how to make the whole process as efficient as possible, they expect it will soon become cheaper and more available.

According to Bernstein medical there were 279,381 hair restoration procedures in 2010, so the demand will probably be 300,000 at the very least, but then the question is how many of those people will be willing to travel to Japan.

Outside of Japan is a bit weird though, I mean do regulatory agencies need to sign off on this sh*t? It's just hair, it's basically just another transplant.

Oh yeah, and I guess it's also that one day we'll be able to stop our daily maintenance routines. I imagine most of us will probably rebuild our hairlines with other treatments first while Riken gets together, and then one day drop them all for the transplant.

To me it's sounds like at some point your local hair surgeon will just get a fed ex box filled with liquid nitrogen and your cultured hair primordiums from Japan.

Basically this at first. But hopefully they'll set up other places to culture the primordiums and automate the process so you don't even need to go through all the sh*t that is hair transplantation.

I'm pretty sure they got a bit confused in the interview, wasn't one of the questions essentially asking if you could just inject the primordiums with replicel's multi-injector-whatever? And then they just sort of seemed to think it had something to do with the size of the knife used to cut the scalp.

Last edited:

Grasshüpfer

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There was a photo in one of the papers. It's a large injection needle.

So yes, in the future it would be possible to have a robot inject the hair, or develop a device for rapid injection.

csm_transplantationpeau_51bd931099.jpg

Btw. We had the same discussion on page 30. :D :D

H

Reaction score
I remember seeing that this treatment won't leave any scars somewhere I thought? I wonder how that's to come about with so many injections how can they be sure?

Beowulf

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I remember seeing that this treatment won't leave any scars somewhere I thought? I wonder how that's to come about with so many injections how can they be sure?

It leaves tiny scars that you wouldn't even notice.