Tsuji Riken Hair Primordiums - Final 20 Questions

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For your review and discussion:

1) Will the new hairs be DHT-resistant or does that depend on the donor hair?

2) If planning a 2020 release date, wouldn't human trials need to begin soon? If so, when? How confident are you in the current method such that you anticipate no obstacles to a 2020 release?

3) Are you able to get unlimited cells from single biopsy? If not, what is the maximum number of total follicles that can be amplified from the donor sample?

4) Is the cost of this procedure expected to cost similar, less, or more than a typical Hair Transplant?

5) Have you injected or tested these germs on humans yet? If not, when is the concept going to be tried on human scalp for the first time, with photographs?

6) Will direction of hair growth be controlled by natural cellular processes in the skin, or require surgeon skill and intervention? Do you anticipate the Nylon Thread Guide being necessary for controlling hair-growth direction?

7) Do you anticipate any of the problems seen with Hair Transplants, in grafting hairs into hair-bearing areas, where existing hairs might be damaged by the process, and subsequently lost?

8) What have been the biggest problems creating new healthy terminal follicles? Have you managed to address those problems, or do some currently remain, and what are they?

9) Describe how injected hair issues such as color, angle, and proper hair cycles have been addressed.

10) Who would probably NOT respond to this treatment?

11) Have you actually expanded human DP cells in the lab beyond Passage 7 and maintained trichogenicity?

12) How long does it take hair to grow after injection?

13) How do you plan to make this available to a large number of people? How will you meet the demand?

14) Can clinics overseas collect biopsies and ship to Japan, then back to the clinic for injection?

15) Will the hairs inherit the damage / characteristics of donor hair, or be considered "new"/embryonic?

16) Will the hair primordiums be injected into the scalp or grafted using the FUT technique?

17) Will primordium hairs be capable of growing through scars from past hair transplants?

18) Will a machine be built to inject hair follicle germs or will hair transplant doctors be trained?

19) Can Primordiums be cryopreserved for future use in top-up sessions?

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
16 and 18 are the same question.

Also questions 6, 7, and 16 have presumably been answered by a member who posted Riken's recent email response:

The process they are proposing to use is taking a few hair follicle samples from a patient, extracting and isolate mesenchymal stem cells and epithelial stem cells from the hair follicles, and using a method that the lab developed to culture these two cell types to generate many follicular primordium, which will be transplanted into the hair loss area, using methods similar to current hair transplantation methods, and the transplanted follicular primordium should generate hair shafts.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
4) Is the cost of this procedure expected to cost similar, less, or more than a typical Hair Transplant?

It might be a good idea to suggest that the price of a hair transplant is about $7,000 USD, perhaps even suggest it being lower as to not give them any ideas of raising the price too much. This would give them an idea of how much it can be compared to and keeping their solution at a low cost.

stump

Established Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure question number 1 does not need to be asked.. if it's a clone then it would have the same characteristics of what it was cloned from. If it was cloned from dht donor hair then yes the clones will be dht resistant as well. Otherwise what's the point? You'd need to keep getting the procedure done again every time you re-go bald. Same for question 15. If you clone damaged hair then by logic the clones would also be damaged.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think that, apart from 16 and 18 being the same question, we are asking the right things. And I am already excited by what could be the replies.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Pretty sure question number 1 does not need to be asked.. if it's a clone then it would have the same characteristics of what it was cloned from. If it was cloned from dht donor hair then yes the clones will be dht resistant as well. Otherwise what's the point? You'd need to keep getting the procedure done again every time you re-go bald. Same for question 15. If you clone damaged hair then by logic the clones would also be damaged.

Even if it weren't DHT resistant... doesn't mean you can't go for a top up. It'd be many many years before follicle shrinkage would come to a point where hair loss was visibly noticeable again. I'll take that over current treatments any day, it'd be another band aid solution but at least it'd cover an entire NW7 bald scalp (if you're so unfortunate to get to that point).

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe a question about the shedding cycles, how did that do in the poll?

I had suggested that one for inclusion to @Swoop but he seemed to think it was unnecessary.

Me: "Since active follicles are biopsied, wld this lead to synchronized hair cycles & seasonal shedding? "
Me: i like this one so I'm asking it

Swoop: Why do you like that question?

Me: it seems interesting. if theyre taking hairs that are all in active growth phase, don't you run the risk of seasonal shedding in mass quantities?

Swoop: No since it doesn't happen in a hair transplant too.
Swoop: Look if you take a graft from the back of head like 1000.
Swoop: You implant 1000 of them at the front
Swoop: Most of them will fall out
Swoop: Maybe like 800
Swoop: They will go into telogen
Swoop: That's the "ugly ducking phase"
Swoop: That's why it takes time to grow hair with a hair transplant.

Not sure that answers why the question isn't a good one, but any thoughts? Also swoop - figured you wouldn't mind pasting the convo here. Nothing sensitive was said.

Admin

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
No, I think that's a reasonable explanation. Tsuji's method is essentially artificially replicating the way hair formed when you were just a fetus. As far as I'm aware, much of those cells would have formed follicles at a fairly equivalent pace yet their cycles aren't synchronized perfectly as we all know.

Solomon

Established Member
Reaction score

Also questions 6, 7, and 16 have presumably been answered by a member who posted Riken's recent email response:

"which will be transplanted into the hair loss area, using methods similar to current hair transplantation methods, "

Oh, sh*t. I thought it was an injection and not the transplant. Can you explain?
AFAIK Replicel is injection. Is primordium too big to be injected?

stump

Established Member
Reaction score
Even if it weren't DHT resistant... doesn't mean you can't go for a top up. It'd be many many years before follicle shrinkage would come to a point where hair loss was visibly noticeable again. I'll take that over current treatments any day, it'd be another band aid solution but at least it'd cover an entire NW7 bald scalp (if you're so unfortunate to get to that point).

Regardless, clones should retain the same properties as the cells they were made from. Unless they could change something about the cells while they were doing the procedure but if they could they'd make them better, not worse. The only way I'm seeing the hairs not be DHT resistant is if they don't initially use DHT resistant donor hair. Or maybe they are using the word "clone" too liberally.

stump

Established Member
Reaction score
I had suggested that one for inclusion to @Swoop but he seemed to think it was unnecessary.

Me: "Since active follicles are biopsied, wld this lead to synchronized hair cycles & seasonal shedding? "
Me: i like this one so I'm asking it

Swoop: Why do you like that question?

Me: it seems interesting. if theyre taking hairs that are all in active growth phase, don't you run the risk of seasonal shedding in mass quantities?

Swoop: No since it doesn't happen in a hair transplant too.
Swoop: Look if you take a graft from the back of head like 1000.
Swoop: You implant 1000 of them at the front
Swoop: Most of them will fall out
Swoop: Maybe like 800
Swoop: They will go into telogen
Swoop: That's the "ugly ducking phase"
Swoop: That's why it takes time to grow hair with a hair transplant.

Not sure that answers why the question isn't a good one, but any thoughts? Also swoop - figured you wouldn't mind pasting the convo here. Nothing sensitive was said.

Admin

Even if the injected hairs all shed together at once couldn't you just pluck the hairs at different intervals at first so that they all start to grow at different times? Even if this is a thing I don't see it being a problem in the long run, especially since the hairs will most likely be permanent.

stump

Established Member
Reaction score
Please ask if it will work for DUPA suffers, if beard hair could also be used in this procedure,

I don't see why beard hair couldn't be used in this procedure, however it'd most likely cause you to grow beard-like hair on the top of your head. The hairs are clones so they would likely retain the same properties as the donor.

FoucaultII

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't mean to sound too pessimistic but the interview, if it's done, will be fruitless. Most of the questions are like so stupid.