Tsuji - News Successfully Developed An Expansion Method Of Hf Derived Stem Cells

Baldybald1

Established Member
Reaction score
First of all I said nothin about skin transplantation regarding Tsuji specifically. Others are already going to do human trials with their methods of skin regeneration. Go back and re-read my posts and you'll see where I said that Tsuji hasn't figured out how to manipulate or control the skin they made so they CAN'T conduct trials to transplant into humans yet.

The cells were still IPS cells and where do you think they got those cells from? Their organ technology?

Fast forward to 2:25 and Tsuji himself said they regenerated WHOLE skin and hair with IPS cells.

Tsuji says it's skin, Costarelis says it's skin and everybody else says it's skin. So what is it then if it's not skin since everybody else is wrong?

Even IF it wasn't skin (which everyone says it is) why would it matter if it ends up being proven safe and indistinguishable from your original skin? They can call it Hillary's Juice for all I care.
So still the question needs an answer, will this work on the scar tissue or do we need to wait for skin transplant?

Omega2327

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So still the question needs an answer, will this work on the scar tissue or do we need to wait for skin transplant?
You really need to learn to utilize your available resources.

Keiko: Question 5: Several users have scars from previous hair transplants. Both from strip excision and follicular unit extraction on the back of the head. There is also some damage to the skin tissue in the recipient areas towards, the front. One of our most popular questions was whether primordium hairs will be capable of growing through these and other types of scars (such as burn scars), and be capable of healthy growth in such an environment?

Mr. Toyoshima: We appreciate their interests in this and asking this question, and would like to offer our technologies to as many patients with scars as possible. Hair transplant procedures often leave some damage in the skin, forming scar tissues thus significantly deforming the subcutaneous tissues structure, or resulting in loss of the subcutaneous fat layer underneath the skin. However, follicles have a characteristic which enables them to grow through normal hair cycles by interacting with the surrounding tissue. As far as the effectivity on such skin with a serious damage, the effects of our hair follicle germ regeneration technology in such case is yet to be determined, therefore we believe that we still need to conduct significant verification for that purpose. However, it is not that I have only bad news. With our hair regeneration therapy using the hair follicle germ regeneration technology, we can artificially combine cellular tissues to tailor to the specific needs of the patient. Therefore, we believe in principle, that even for a patient with various special clinical requirements such as scars, we will be able provide a hair regeneration therapy for these individuals in the future, which is carefully tailored to such needs.

Keiko: Is this also true in case of the scars generated not by previous hair transplants but other types of scars such as burn scars?

Mr. Toyoshima: Yes, that is correct. And we believe that if we can accomplish this, we will be able to make an even bigger contribution to society. However, I have to say that once we begin making progress towards clinical testing, we’ll be better able to provide you with a clear response on whether this can really be done or not. At this point, please forgive us for this level of response.

Keiko: Sorry to press you on this, but what time range are we talking about, when you anticipate knowing more? Is it something 5 years or 10 years from now?

Mr. Toyoshima: Well… we first have to develop a technology to treat regular alopecia patents. As for other types of patients such as those with highly advanced alopecia, etc, we will consider a therapy after that.

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
Of course, if the demand is there then Riken/others will invest unless it's simply not profitable, which doesn't make sense. But that doesn't mean it suddenly becomes more available overnight, especially in other countries.

It will take years to get approved in the US. Even if they want to expand the offering in Asia/Japan, it can take awhile to build new facilities, train folks, etc.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know how long it would take to pass in the US? How do you know the phase testing done in Japan wont be enough to appease the FDA? With the cures act we aren't too far behind Japan with regards to allowing use after phase 2 testing.

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I hate to be the buzzkill, but how many 17 - 18 year olds (presently) are likely going to be able to afford this in 3-4 years?

Likely none, unless they have rich parents.

and everyone is forgetting that they said in the interview that they "aim to treat 10,000 globally". At that number, they could have exclusively Japanese citizens fill up the list for decades. Of course, they will ramp up the production, but that will take years and it will still be very expensive.

This is exciting news because a true cure for hairloss may indeed be near to being a reality; not that we're all going to be NW1s from this in a few years.

It's so close, yet so far away at once.
Hm, if Tsuji bring cure to the market then it will not last very long till many universities/stem cell companies from Europe/USA/Canada figure it out how the whole procedure was done by Tsuji and then implement in their products. I think many companies outside Japan will not wait at all to buy the formula from Tsuji for very big money.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hm, if Tsuji bring cure to the market then it will not last very long till many universities/stem cell companies from Europe/USA/Canada figure it out how the whole procedure was done by Tsuji and then implement in their products. I think many companies outside Japan will not wait at all to buy the formula from Tsuji for very big money.

Patents take years to expire and they will not be able to "buy" the formula from Tsuji anyways.

Tsuji doesn't own it; RIKEN does and there is no way they will sell it away. Kyocrea will own all of the proprietary machines.

People can keep dreaming — this is not going to rapidly travel across the world overnight.

Botox was first put to use for cosmetic treatment in 2002 after first being developed and tested in 1989. 15 years later it is available and approved in only 40% of the world.

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well, in the USA the FDA could and would stop them.

There are a number of reasons why the FDA would stop them.

One would think so. Such is not always the case apparently.

With about 570 clinic locations spread across nearly every state, the great majority of Americans have easy access to these unproven treatments, they said. And with federal oversight lax and the rules imprecise, the public is left largely on its own.

I think these clinics are given half a dozen years or so before they have to submit efficacy data. By that time, and whether it works or not, they will have pocketed some cutter. So in that vain, I think Tsuji would have a free hand in the US if his procedure works at all. I think the FDA might just look the other way.

JimmyB

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how do you know how long it would take to pass in the US? How do you know the phase testing done in Japan wont be enough to appease the FDA? With the cures act we aren't too far behind Japan with regards to allowing use after phase 2 testing.

True, the 21st century cures act might speed things up, but it seems unclear by how much. Look at how long it took Replicel to start phase II trials after Japan's regenerative therapies bill was passed.

I haven't read the entire bill but even if it should expedite the process (I'm not sure if it will for cosmetic treatments), it's new, and there are bound to be delays when setting up new processes - even if they accept Riken's data and don't require new testing, it's the FDA - they're not going to get anything done quickly.

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
One would think so. Such is not always the case apparently.

I think these clinics are given half a dozen years or so before they have to submit efficacy data. By that time, and whether it works or not, they will have pocketed some cutter. So in that vain, I think Tsuji would have a free hand in the US if his procedure works at all. I think the FDA might just look the other way.

The US FDA is not going to allow hair cells that were cultured in some new medium into the marketplace without clinical trials.

H

Reaction score
I'm hoping next year or, worst case scenario, in 2019 that a paper be released in which Tsuji's team claim they have managed to amplify epithelial stem cells, while preserving inductivity. That would be some painfully good news.
If something like that happens, then, I guess noone will be pessimistic ever again.

Then we'll b**ch about the cost and availability...
The night before this thread was made.
I think I might be a Warg also...

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Patents take years to expire and they will not be able to "buy" the formula from Tsuji anyways.

Tsuji doesn't own it; RIKEN does and there is no way they will sell it away...

Not a problem...

Jurassic-Park-Shaving-Cream-05202015.gif

Michel F. II

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Tsuji has MADE FULLY FUNCTIONAL SKIN but I don't think they understood how it worked yet or how it could be manipulated/controlled so that it can be TRANSPLANTED into humans.
U r completely right.
I misread the whole post of yours.
It's not you. It's me.
So sorry.
N O T

MrV88

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wonder if this thread hits the 500 before the procedure gets available

mikes23

Reaction score
I believe this will work in scars, specifically the recipient site. Dr. Bernstein also stated there should be no problem. its the same as a hair transplant, but they are creating a follicle from scratch inside the scalp. people have transplanted body hair into scars and yielded results, so imagine unlimited follicles. yes they usually transplant them about 20 or 30 hairs per square centimeter to give them a better chance to grow but if you had unlimited donor supply you can take more of a chance. And once some hair grows through they say it gives the scar a better blood supply. so more yields the better results. Dr Higgins has an article on her twitter about how hair helps scars heal. but they'll be able to print skin by then, could just have that done first then transplant the hairs. And the recipient site doesn't matter. we know people have multiple hair transplants with success. plus tsuji method will cause some skin damage like a hair transplant albeit smaller. so if his method calls for multiple passes that will cause some skin damage, then your damage from your old transplants should be fine. he just cant make those claims until he test them.

I know when I got my hair transplant I wasn't even a Norwood yet. the hair transplants knocked out a good chunk in the front of my hairline. I kept trying to get back to my old hairline with more procedures, but the new transplants kept knocking out hairs around it. and my hairs were still strong, wouldn't have started receding for a few years. so tsuji method may cause that same shockloss and then people could keep going back until they fully recovered. that's the only way I can see it, I don't know how else it would work on diffuse thinners.

hanginginthewire

Reaction score
I think this is crap. Why would you need multiple procedures if they can give you solid density during the first one...

Well the goalpost has moved from illusion of coverage to pretty much a legit fullhead. (If any of these treatments come to fruition obviously...)

So if your hair looks like this:

Tb7bI.jpeg

...then you have the absurd problem of having too much hair. Traditional transplants now can give a diffuser solid density but as the DHT affected hairs shrink and fall out you are going to chase the loss. I don't know. I'm a diffuser though and it would be just my luck for some holy grail treatment to come out that won't be able to help me (and other diffusers.)

But I know this is all conjecture.

Omega2327

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well the goalpost has moved from illusion of coverage to pretty much a legit fullhead. (If any of these treatments come to fruition obviously...)

So if your hair looks like this :

View attachment 58450

...then you have the absurd problem of having too much hair. Traditional transplants now can give a diffuser solid density but as the DHT affected hairs shrink and fall out you are going to chase the loss. I don't know. I'm a diffuser though and it would be just my luck for some holy grail treatment to come out that won't be able to help me (and other diffusers.)

But I know this is all conjecture.
I understand what you're saying, but if they can already achieve incredible density on a bald head, then I'm sure they can achieve good density on a thinning head, even if some of those thinning follicles get in the way.

H

Reaction score
I understand what you're saying, but if they can already achieve incredible density on a bald head, then I'm sure they can achieve good density on a thinning head, even if some of those thinning follicles get in the way.
It's the problem of losing those original hairs in the crown region that haven't diffused yet but eventually are doomed to. If you lose 56% of the hair in the crown/balding area and the other hairs are to continue the balding process until slick baldness you will be back to where you started with just the hair they filled in which would maybe be roughly 44%. Your back to diffuse.