Treatment of male pattern baldness.... results from 1988!

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
2020 said:
squeegee said:
2020 said:
well heart disease was not that common like it is today but somehow people were balding at the same rate.... idk all those connections they make are very vague. I'm sure you could find a study that relates masturbation to skin cancer... doesn't mean jack

LOL.. yep

sarcasm? what's up? seriously, heart disease or any other disease does not run in my family.... wth.
All those new "American" diseases were much much less common back then. Why were people balding then?

Dunno man. This is why I am here!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
squeegee said:

ok my final opinion: such studies about heart disease and male pattern baldness are vague.... I remember there was some study about sunshine vs male pattern baldness where they found that norwegians or some other scandinavian nation had a higher rate of balding people and somehow the study connected that to the exposure of sunshine.... yeah whatever, balding is as old as humanity and "American" diseases are barely 50 years old.

anyways, I'm still interested in taking GLA supplements. What would be the absolute best brand? Come on, let's pick a regimen and let's all stick with it to see what would happen.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
2020 said:
squeegee said:

ok my final opinion: such studies about heart disease and male pattern baldness are vague.... I remember there was some study about sunshine vs male pattern baldness where they found that norwegians or some other scandinavian nation had a higher rate of balding people and somehow the study connected that to the exposure of sunshine.... yeah whatever, balding is as old as humanity and "American" diseases are barely 50 years old.

anyways, I'm still interested in taking GLA supplements. What would be the absolute best brand? Come on, let's pick a regimen and let's all stick with it to see what would happen.

You have to take GLA with Omega 3...not only Gla by itself or it will produce bad prostaglandins..

Experienced Member
Reaction score
squeegee said:
You have to take GLA with Omega 3...not only Gla by itself or it will produce bad prostaglandins..

yes I know. so which brand are you taking?

Experienced Member
Reaction score
squeegee said:
Taking that one http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Bo ... ftgels/149

Cold Pressed
Hexane Free
Gamma tocopherol for cover the extra oxidation from the oil.

ok... so from that study since primrose oil provided 90mg per gram and the subjects took 6 grams - 6*90 = 540 mg.
your stuff has 240 mg per capsule so you must take AT LEAST two of those a day. Not too bad, that would come out to $8/month. I'll probably buy that brand too

Sparky4444

Reaction score
I wonder if it would be better to break the capsules and mix it right in with the Fish Oil..The stuff I have says to take 2 teaspoons once a day...I am taking a tablespoon twice a day...I couldn't stomach taking anymore of that stuff...

matt.r.smith

Reaction score
Thanks for all the amazing info. So how much of each are you supposed to take daily? Is this supposed to really work? I am diffuse thinning rapidly and am very desperate for any hope ...thanks much

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
2020 said:
squeegee said:
Taking that one http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Bo ... ftgels/149

Cold Pressed
Hexane Free
Gamma tocopherol for cover the extra oxidation from the oil.

ok... so from that study since primrose oil provided 90mg per gram and the subjects took 6 grams - 6*90 = 540 mg.
your stuff has 240 mg per capsule so you must take AT LEAST two of those a day. Not too bad, that would come out to $8/month. I'll probably buy that brand too

Isn't 6g, 6000mg?

Sparky4444

Reaction score
matt.r.smith said:
Thanks for all the amazing info. So how much of each are you supposed to take daily? Is this supposed to really work? I am diffuse thinning rapidly and am very desperate for any hope ...thanks much

Supposedly 4 middle-aged men showed a response...will it work?? Dunno..it's a pretty harmless little experiment though...A person should be taking Fish Oil anyways for your overall health and I plan on keeping that up indefinately...popping 3 Evening Primrose capsules twice a day won't cause any harm to you for a few months...I poisoned myself for 6 years taking finasteride, 3 months on a herb like Primrose is nothing...

:punk:

As far as being desperate -- don't be...losing your hair sucks but try losing your eyesight, or having cancer, etc, etc...Your overall health is the most important thing ...Have a good vitamin regime and use 2% Nizoral once or twice a week if you don't want to use minoxidil...It seems to me reading all the posts on here that Nizoral is the one constant that seems to help the most...It does help me at least slow it down for sure...

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ok so what is the proper ratio of GLA and EPA/DHA?? If you're not taking them in the right ratio, you're wasting your time....

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
2020 said:
ok so what is the proper ratio of GLA and EPA/DHA?? If you're not taking them in the right ratio, you're wasting your time....

3:1 will be a good ratio. Don't forget taking it with multivitamins with B's in it It helps the conversion of GLA to good prostaglandins.. There is a study on the web.. Helps by 60 more %. Cheap add-on.

Fight Your Genes

Reaction score
squeegee said:
Borage oil + EPA/DHA rich omega 3 oil + Sesamin = Winner. Kill all the bad oils from our diet is also a must.

Look closely at these 3 graphs. See the warning.. you cannot raise DGLA levels without raising EPA/DHA levels.

ss2007_report_epa_dha_03.jpg

OmegaConversions.gif

dec2004_supp_gla_02_lg.gif

If we inhibit Arachidonic acid were inhibiting Prostaglandin E2 production, but is that not the good prostaglandin that we need to be elevated in order to keep PGD2 in check! Sorry but i'm a bit confused I though the more PGE2 the better?

FishNChips

Reaction score
That's a good question. Isn't E2 a beneficial prostaglandin, and we want to minimize D2?

Also, if we're trying to minimize Arachidonic acid, shouldn't we be trying to increase sesamin, by using more sesamin oil for instance?

odalbak

Established Member
Reaction score
I know that the stimulation of PGE2 synthesis by minoxidil is maybe the reason minoxidil is helpful, but in theory how can PGE2 actually be beneficial to hair growth if it's a "pro-inflammatory" agent? What's the process?

Fight Your Genes

Reaction score
odalbak said:
I know that the stimulation of PGE2 synthesis by minoxidil is maybe the reason minoxidil is helpful, but in theory how can PGE2 actually be beneficial to hair growth if it's a "pro-inflammatory" agent? What's the process?

I dont know the process but I know that PGE2 and PGf2 were mentioned in the
Cotsarelis study as been beneficial for hair growth. I wouldn't be opposed to taking tons of sesame oil to block AA acid but i'm just a bit weary that it will lower the good Prostaglandins.