Treatment of male pattern baldness.... results from 1988!

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Fight Your Genes said:
odalbak said:
I know that the stimulation of PGE2 synthesis by minoxidil is maybe the reason minoxidil is helpful, but in theory how can PGE2 actually be beneficial to hair growth if it's a "pro-inflammatory" agent? What's the process?

I dont know the process but I know that PGE2 and PGf2 were mentioned in the
Cotsarelis study as been beneficial for hair growth. I wouldn't be opposed to taking tons of sesame oil to block AA acid but i'm just a bit weary that it will lower the good Prostaglandins.

I believe in COX levels in skin.. not all the bullshit about prostaglandins..PGD2 is x3 elevated than normal proving without a doubt that there is inflammation locally. You want to reduces COX-2 levels to get the prostaglandins back in the right direction.

Role of PGD2: Inhibits platelet and leukocyte aggregation, decreases T-cell proliferation and lymphocyte migration and secretion of IL-1? and IL-2; induces vasodilation and production of cAMP

Experienced Member
Reaction score
why couldn't those scientists just measure the levels of COX-2 in balding people? Maybe they did but nothing came up.... wth this could literally take a day to figure out

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Loss of delta-6-desaturase activity as a key factor in aging.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6270521

In meat eaters or omnivores which can acquire arachidonic acid from food, the main consequences of D6D loss will be deficiencies of GLA, dihomogamma-linolenic acid (DGLA) and prostaglandin (PG) E1......GLA administration to humans has been found to lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and to cause clinical improvement in patients with Sjogren's syndrome, scleroderma and alcoholism. These diseases are associated with some features of accelerated aging. The proposition that D6D loss is not only a marker of aging but a cause of some of its major manifestations is amenable to experimental test even in humans. The blocked enzyme can be by-passed by giving GLA directly.

it seems that everyone should take GLA anyways....

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ok so according to that chart, consuming GLA would increase Prostaglandin E1 levels right?

that would be excellent because of this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11295585

CONCLUSIONS:
The data suggest that PGE(1) could be a potent inducer of angiogenesis and the angiogenic factor VEGF, and could cause reduced fibrosis in the failing human heart.

PGE1 induces VEGF? Isn't VEGF one of the things Histogen uses to grow hair? :innocent:

hammer2012

Reaction score
Boldy the last deadline was mid May and now you've postponed it to early June, I hope you don't postpone it to September :(

The Natural

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys, this oil movement was the buzz of hair loss forums seven or eight years ago: People tried different combinations of them (fish oil with borage oil/perilla/black currant), and after some initial success stories (e.g. less shedding and thinning, thicker hair, even regrowth), this treatment was discontinued by everyone because it became too difficult to determine the correct ratio of GLA to EPA, which, in turn, lead to massive shedding. This ratio seemed to differ from person to person, and to change from month to month.

If you go to Hairsite, you'll find some decent threads on this subject. But these oils are not the answer that so many here are desperately looking for, unfortunately.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
The Natural said:
Guys, this oil movement was the buzz of hair loss forums seven or eight years ago: People tried different combinations of them (fish oil with borage oil/perilla/black currant), and after some initial success stories (e.g. less shedding and thinning, thicker hair, even regrowth), this treatment was discontinued by everyone because it became too difficult to determine the correct ratio of GLA to EPA, which, in turn, lead to massive shedding. This ratio seemed to differ from person to person, and to change from month to month.

If you go to Hairsite, you'll find some decent threads on this subject. But these oils are not the answer that so many here are desperately looking for, unfortunately.

Bunk...Fish oil and GLA in the form of Primrose or Borage won't cause you to lose your freakin' hair :shakehead: ..If anything, the effects were overcome by the body getting used to the routine...

..Fish oil is one of the most important supplements a person can take for overall health so why in the hell would it contribute to hairloss?? :thumbdown2:

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The Natural said:

you're right, determining the correct ratio is difficult but let's try to make it right this time....

Remember: if you have a D6D enzyme deficiency, it is impossible for you to consume enough of GLA no matter what your diet is and when that happens levels of PG1 fall!

The Natural

Established Member
Reaction score
Sparky4444 said:
Bunk...Fish oil and GLA in the form of Primrose or Borage won't cause you to lose your freakin' hair :shakehead: ..If anything, the effects were overcome by the body getting used to the routine...

..Fish oil is one of the most important supplements a person can take for overall health so why in the hell would it contribute to hairloss?? :thumbdown2:

It's not "bunk." It is fact.

Hey, I would like nothing better than to come here, and state (especially to the drug addicts) that fish oil, borage oil, etc. were effective options for those suffering from male pattern baldness. Unfortunately, they were not (for any significant period of time). Borage oil, I remember distinctly, caused inflammation for many users at Hairsite and Regrowth. Also, there were people who complained of shedding massive amounts of hair while experimenting with fish oil. This most likely was due to their inability to find/establish the proper ratio for themselves. But, even those who began well (i.e. initially achieved some regrowth), later complained that they were thinning again. And I was one of them.

Haven't touch fish oil since, and never will.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
The Natural said:
Sparky4444 said:

It's not "bunk." It is fact.

Hey, I would like nothing better than to come here, and state (especially to the drug addicts) that fish oil, borage oil, etc. were effective options for those suffering from male pattern baldness. Unfortunately, they were not (for any significant period of time). Borage oil, I remember distinctly, caused inflammation for many users at Hairsite and Regrowth. Also, there were people who complained of shedding massive amounts of hair while experimenting with fish oil. This most likely was due to their inability to find/establish the proper ratio for themselves. But, even those who began well (i.e. initially achieved some regrowth), later complained that they were thinning again. And I was one of them.

Haven't touch fish oil since, and never will.

ALA = Alpha-Linolenic Acid is the omega 3 (omega-3) EFA. It is sometimes shortened to LNA. ALA is very fragile to destruction by light, oxygen (air), and heat, and must therefore be protected from these influences. If this is not done, ALA molecules change from natural and beneficial to unnatural and toxic. ALA is destroyed about 5 times faster than LA, the omega-6 EFA. ALA is deficient in the diets of most people in affluent societies. Due to processing damage, shelf life considerations, and changes in food choices, average intake of omega-3 has decreased to less than 20% of what was present in common diets 150 years ago. (This is why taking fish oil is a good idea.)

Borage caused inflammation because it was not taken with EPA and DHA. I took massive amount of fish oil in the past, I don't recall any shedding from it. These polyunsaturated fats play a very important role with the function of our bodies. EPA/DHA extend life: less telomer shortening .Maintain healthy function of the brain. EPA and DHA are converted into hormone like substances called prostaglandins, :woot: and they regulate cell activity and healthy cardiovascular function.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
...Fish oil will not cause you to lose your hair..If your hair falls while on Fish Oil, it was going to fall out without taking Fish Oil...for crissakes this is ridiculous

:shakehead:

K

Kirby

Sparky4444 said:
...Fish oil will not cause you to lose your hair..If your hair falls while on Fish Oil, it was going to fall out without taking Fish Oil...for crissakes this is ridiculous

:shakehead:
Yeah, but this is someone who calls users of legit prescription medications "drug addicts" and makes unscientific claims about turmeric preventing hairloss....

The Natural

Established Member
Reaction score
By all means then, continue to take fish oil then, squeegee. I have just proffered my experience (and that of countless others) with this supplement.

And Sparky, I'm not quite sure why you are taking this testimony so personally. There was an acceleration of hair loss that occurred after adding this supplement to one's regimen. There were many who experienced this. People with no reason to lie or fabricate; I mean, if anything, they would want to return to the board, screaming, "Fish oil saved my hair!!!!!!!!!" Unfortunately, they could not.

After about six months or so, this whole "oil rage" died down...but now, six years later, as I see it rear its head again, I would be remiss if I did not give personal testimony (reviews, if you will) from people who have already been down this road before: Gentleman, these oils will not grow a significant amount of hair for you for any significant period of time, and there is a high possibility that you may lose more hair while experimenting. Caveat emptor.

For Kirby: http://www.hairloss-research.org/Update ... 11-07.html

Sparky4444

Reaction score
The Natural said:
Gentleman, these oils will not grow a significant amount of hair for you for any significant period of time, and there is a high possibility that you may lose more hair while experimenting. Caveat emptor.

For Kirby: http://www.hairloss-research.org/Update ... 11-07.html

....so you're saying that hair that normally would not have fallen out will most likely fall out now if we continue with this experiment??

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Many prefer Borage Seed Oil as a source for Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA)
because it has more than twice the GLA found in Evening Primrose Oil.
However, esteemed researcher Dr. David Horrobin found the GLA from Evening Primrose Oil is converted to Prostaglandin E1 (PGE1)15 times more efficiently than an equal amount from Borage Oil. The triglyceride structure of Borage Oil is much
different than Evening Primrose Oil. That is why so little of it actually converts into the
powerful antidepressant brain metabolite, PGE. This is good news for alcoholics who have struggled with depression. If past attempts to lift depression using Borage Oil have failed, be prepared for a surprise with new Bio-GLA. Allow at least one week to build up to adequate levels of PGE1 and ... good bye depression! It's now standard in the HRC Alcoholism formula. We hope you'll enjoy it.

thoughts? :dunno:

Sparky4444

Reaction score
2020 said:
Many prefer Borage Seed Oil as a source for Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA)
because it has more than twice the GLA found in Evening Primrose Oil.
However, esteemed researcher Dr. David Horrobin found the GLA from Evening Primrose Oil is converted to Prostaglandin E1 (PGE1)15 times more efficiently than an equal amount from Borage Oil. The triglyceride structure of Borage Oil is much
different than Evening Primrose Oil. That is why so little of it actually converts into the
powerful antidepressant brain metabolite, PGE. This is good news for alcoholics who have struggled with depression. If past attempts to lift depression using Borage Oil have failed, be prepared for a surprise with new Bio-GLA. Allow at least one week to build up to adequate levels of PGE1 and ... good bye depression! It's now standard in the HRC Alcoholism formula. We hope you'll enjoy it.

thoughts? :dunno:

...That's why I am sticking with your original find...They used EPO and had results, so stick with the plan...I made a comment that perhaps there is something else inherent in EPO that works synergistically to give the results...

..hey..maybe it won't stop your hairloss, but maybe you'll feel so much better that you won't really care! lmao! ...I mean, the bad feelings we have because of losing hair is all in our heads, not ON our heads :woot:

ohmanohno

Established Member
Reaction score
Started taking fish oil a few weeks ago as a daily supplement and I'm not sure what it will do for my hair but my skin looks better.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
ohmanohno said:
Started taking fish oil a few weeks ago as a daily supplement and I'm not sure what it will do for my hair but my skin looks better.

Fish oil will NOT make hair fall out that wasn't already destined to fall out...Fish oil supplementation is a huge thing so if this were happening, there would be something out there about..plus it just doesn't make any sense...

...Taking Fish oil is hugely beneficial to ones overall health...It is now part of my regime for overall health and I ain't changing because I like feeling good...Along with E3 Live, NEO40, I am feeling sooooo much better these days...And if EPO is also an anti-depressant, I expect to feel even that much better...

..it's all good!

:punk: