To wig or not to wig: that is the question.

CCS

Reaction score
What Norwood am I?

My front is by far the thinnest, but at lest it can't get thinner, since it is grafts. The top clearing is thinner than it should be, though the lighting makes it hard for me to tell how thin, even in the mirror. Maybe it is highlighted because it is on the very top and angled more at the light.

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score
From the pictures you have provided you look a good NW4 in my opinion; of course you still have hair in a NW2 pattern but it is visibly thinner. As to whether you want to try hair replacement again I'm probably not the best to comment considering I haven't made the transition yet but one thing I will say is I'm surprised coolpiece ruined your order as that company seems to be in quite high regard according to hair replacement customers. As you have said before though money is tight but at $200 surely even poor people can afford that? I remember you being quite adament on getting single stranded pieces. Why not try hatsoffhair? They do single strand.

CCS

Reaction score
I think the hairline is NW2. It is 1/4 to 1/3 inches higher than I want. All grafts, so about 30 hairs per cm2.

And here is the scar. A piece won't hide that. Maybe a tattoo is better.

Most people don't ask about the scar. Even if I tell people about the hair grafts, they forget soon enough.

I will probably try a piece again. Just not now. I have work to do and hopefully money to eventually make. Until then, not worrying about my hair seems to be the best route.

Yes, propecia keeps me from losing any more hair. As for regrowth, maybe minoxidil can patch that runway on top, but it won't fill in the grafted area at all.

I had 4000 grafts implanted, and 2800 that grew. Regardless of what anyone tells me, I'm hesitant to remove another strip and risk thinning the hairs I have. It might be a good way to close that scar. Or with the tightness, it might make the scar worse. 6 months of healing is no fun.

The total surface area there is 100 cm2. If I lower the hairline where I want, 112 cm2. If I get 600 grafts to just close the scar, that is 5 extra hairs per cm2, taking it from 30 to 35. Still pretty thin.

Another problem is the hairs don't grow the correct direction. My native hairs curl backwards and down. My transplanted hairs curl up and forward on the sides. My front transplanted curl back, whereas my front native curl forward. The thickness contrast shows the same at all lengths.

S&L

Reaction score
If you decide to get a wig and want a short hair style , you could get a fullcap , no scar problem .

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That scar would be covered up if you grew your hair longer; and with hair replacement I assume you would want the hair longer on top anyway. No need for a full cap though it is an option.

Nene

Reaction score
I think you might as well go for another hair transplant if you have grafts left. You already have the scar and you've already gone this far.

CCS

Reaction score
One thing you need to remember is that if you ever get outed with a wig, you can always get rid of it and you will be no worse off socially than if you had never worn it in the first place. You will just be the naughty bald guy who tried and failed, and is soon forgotten.

But if I do it, I want to do to good quality. Until then, it is just so easy to wear a hat and worry about other stuff in my life.

Surgery costs more than many hair pieces, and just will not get the same density. But the hair would feel nicer and life would be easier. I can attract much better attention from women though with the wig.

My hair may be thinning, but it still is fast and strong enough to push up under the bass bond. It would probably be easier to use Dermmatch on the very top middle.

CCS

Reaction score
Nene said:
I think you might as well go for another hair transplant if you have grafts left. You already have the scar and you've already gone this far.

Had I never gotten the grafts, I could have been gluing to smooth scalp in front, instead of having to regularly shave it. But going the graft route, I'll never be sexy thick. I'll just be thin, high hairline, but not bald. Women don't pursue guys unless they look good. Looking not bad usually means I'd have to do a lot of chasing and settle for being treated like a small fish.

CCS

Reaction score
I have a dense head of hair other than the male pattern baldness areas. And women could rub all but the front and still be happy. But as far as matching goes, I really think a full cap is the best way. Life would be so much easier. No matching, no worrying about transitions. The down side is you have a lot more edge to get right, and the nape flexes.

Going full cap means they can't feel any real hair, but it also means they can't feel a difference between one area and another area. But stubble growing up through the base could be a tip off.

I will definitely try it some day. Nothing to lose. I keep my hair short anyway.

As for women, and men, no one will rip your wing off if you are minding your own business. The only time men will point it out is if you are dating women they want to be with. The only time women will point it out is if you ask them out and they don't like you. Women hate having to come up with excuses not to date a guy, but pointing out the wig is a very easy, socially accepted way to do it. Also anyone else who does not like you will point it out. But as long as you don't have enemies and you only go for women who like you, and you don't strut them everywhere to make men jealous, I doubt you will have anyone point out your wig. Many will notice and not care. If you ask, they will tell you it looks good on you, and lie that they had no idea. If you hate being gossiped about, don't hang around immature or jealous people. It is pretty easy to not get your hat taken off.

Now if you are 50, and you have an ugly face, and you go get a perfect full cap and think you are hot because of it, and you go walk into a frat/sorority bar and start hitting on the 21 year old hotties, then you better expect one of them to reach for the wig and call you out. But if you have a good face and the hair was the only thing holding you back, and you approach a woman who is hot but not the envy of the room, I'm sure you will do fine. She won't mind if she can tell up close, as long as everyone else can't tell from across the room, including her in the gossip.

Noah

Reaction score
"Until then, not worrying about my hair seems to be the best route".

CCS; if you have the option of not worrying about your hairloss, it is definitely the best option for always. Most of the people who visit forums like this don't feel they have that option. The fact that you have undergone unsatisfactory hair transplant surgery and are now thinking about a hairpiece suggests you don't really feel you have that option either.

Be that as it may, my main purpose in posting is to observe, principally for the benefit of any newbie who may accidentally happen upon your post, that as far as the social consequences of wearing a hairpiece are concerned you appear to inhabit an alternative universe made up of clips from low-budget Hollywood films, and which bears no resemblance to reality.

First, in real life neither women nor men will "rip your wig off", whether you are minding your own business or not. For one thing, it is physically impossible. For another, it would be a criminal offence. The suggestion that that is a real concern for hairpiece wearers is utter rubbish.

Second, the suggestion that males competing in the dating market or women who don't want to date you will use exposure of your hairpiece to third parties as a strategy is also nonsense. In the first place, if your hairpiece is so obvious that the men and women around you are all aware of it, you are doing it wrong. There is no reason why it should not be undetectable to all but long-term intimate partners if you take a little care. In the second place, people in real life are simply not that Machiavellian or nasty. In 99 cases out of 100 even if someone does spot that you wear, they will not be ill-natured enough to call you out on it or use it against you; they will treat it for what it is - a harmless cosmetic white lie.

Again, in real life I have never met an ugly 50-year-old who buys a full cap, thinks he is hot because of it, and walks into a frat/sorority bar and starts hitting on the 21 year old hotties. That sounds like the plot of a cheap sitcom, probably starring Rob Schneider.

In short: wise up mate.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Noah said:
"Until then, not worrying about my hair seems to be the best route".

CCS; if you have the option of not worrying about your hairloss, it is definitely the best option for always. Most of the people who visit forums like this don't feel they have that option. The fact that you have undergone unsatisfactory hair transplant surgery and are now thinking about a hairpiece suggests you don't really feel you have that option either.

Be that as it may, my main purpose in posting is to observe, principally for the benefit of any newbie who may accidentally happen upon your post, that as far as the social consequences of wearing a hairpiece are concerned you appear to inhabit an alternative universe made up of clips from low-budget Hollywood films, and which bears no resemblance to reality.

First, in real life neither women nor men will "rip your wig off", whether you are minding your own business or not. For one thing, it is physically impossible. For another, it would be a criminal offence. The suggestion that that is a real concern for hairpiece wearers is utter rubbish.

Second, the suggestion that males competing in the dating market or women who don't want to date you will use exposure of your hairpiece to third parties as a strategy is also nonsense. In the first place, if your hairpiece is so obvious that the men and women around you are all aware of it, you are doing it wrong. There is no reason why it should not be undetectable to all but long-term intimate partners if you take a little care. In the second place, people in real life are simply not that Machiavellian or nasty. In 99 cases out of 100 even if someone does spot that you wear, they will not be ill-natured enough to call you out on it or use it against you; they will treat it for what it is - a harmless cosmetic white lie.

Again, in real life I have never met an ugly 50-year-old who buys a full cap, thinks he is hot because of it, and walks into a frat/sorority bar and starts hitting on the 21 year old hotties. That sounds like the plot of a cheap sitcom, probably starring Rob Schneider.

In short: wise up mate.
A very rational post if you were talking to someone who was rational............................................ :whistle:

Noah

Reaction score
Fair point Doctor House. I was really posting for people other than CCS who may read what he writes. I would hate any newbies to read that nonsense and be put off by it. This an emotionally-charged enough topic without it being further complicated by idiot posts.

CCS

Reaction score
There is a chance I'll try a toupee again some day. But at my current length, and the thickening that daily nizoral seems to have done, I think I might be fine how I am.

A piece could make me look a lot better. But I'm not bad looking now, it and is just so much easier not to maintain a piece. I am thin in front, but I don't feel like I'm bald.

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am in the same situation as you...still have hair on top but thin and it's getting thinner despite the treatments I tried...

CCS

Reaction score
If yours is getting thinner, I would switch over before others notice, unless you think you can regrow.

My hair is not getting thinner. It may be thickening just slightly. I will not regrow the hair I want, but I don't look that bad right now, and I'm not getting thinner.

When I look in the mirror, I see a NW1.5/2 looking back at me. Then I notice that the front 1/4 is thinner than the rest. If I aim my head at the light and use a second mirror to see from the top, I clearly see the thin runway going to the back. Yep, diffuse. But probably too dense to shave daily to have a piece over.

A NW1 would look way better. Problem is a piece even with temple flaps is not a NW1. It will have flaws that at worst give it away and at best make the hair look less than perfect, unless I go with a longer, messier style.

Good hair will help me with the ladies, but I don't think it will win the game. I may still have to chase a bit, and it might not be worth the hassle of maintaining a piece. I might do it later just to go get some good sex, but I don't think I would want it for life.

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score
did you stop your treatments ccs?

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i think you're wrong...norwood 1 with piece and a good style...

Attachments

• front1ibuu.jpg
    front1ibuu.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 429

HairLust

Reaction score
Wow that piece is amazing. It looks completely natural.

hairfan

Reaction score
I wore a hair system from AHS for two years and have to say i didnt like it, it faded in the sun and was very hot. I had to go in to AHS every month to have it refitted I woud not go back down that route again I have since had two FUT and much happier