Tissuse Interview, Ask Your Questions Here!

Christian Miller

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I believe in things that can work. Are you saying that wounding DOESN'T work? Because there are absolutely studies and even users here who demonstrate that it is a perfectly viable path to growing a sufficient amount of hair — no cell-cultivation problems stand in the way. It's also the only treatment in the west that is likely to be released in the next few years given that it's on its way to Phase 3.

and as we can safely establish, none of them are nearly as progressed as him.

Oh good, they're "brainstorming". Still doesn't change the fact you have no way of accurately guessing when they might decide to move forward with it.

Just shy of literally saying "Guess we'll just have to wait until the day a method of expansion of our neopapillae is invented lol"

Doesn't sound like they're actively pursuing it to me. Besides, their "organ on a chip" is a bigger deal to the medical world as it could eliminate animal testing.

"If", and the "when" is still quite some time away as per their own admission.

No, I don't lol. Wtf is with everyone thinking "Oh, they'll just go to Japan!"?

No they won't, it's not that simple, and there are only two companies doing this. One is native to Japan and the other is also native to Japan and using licensed foreign tech that was only licensed out because the startup that created it is in dire need of $. Huge companies like L'Oreal don't do this.

They will do it in the EU and USA as those are bigger markets that they have a strong foothold in that will turn larger profits and they will happily make you wait because "hair regeneration" isn't high on their list of priorities and you'd have to be high to think they're going to go through the bullshit and bureaucracy of doing the trials in Japan just for "quick approval" — they don't care about "quick approval."

and life is finite.

Get a f*****g grip, indeed.
You sound a lot like Foucault lately.
Have you been possessed by his banned spirit?
Lol
Now, I guess, you can relate to him.
Him being realistic and you attacking him has now become you being realistic and you being attacked.
That's progress.
Kudos, That Guy.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol
Him being realistic and you attacking him has now become you being realistic and you being attacked.
That's progress.
Kudos, That Guy.

I don't think Foucault was inherently "wrong" all the time, but he was a complete dick just for the sake of it and flaunted him being a "med student' as justification.

He also proudly proclaimed there was no way Tsuji could meet the 2020 timeline and over a year later, they're still on course and their method for cell expansion awaits publication.

Yeah, sounds like the renowned research institute wasn't lying — who would have guessed?

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol
That's progress.
Kudos, That Guy.

How do you know what Foucault and @That Guy sound like if you just joined on Tuesday?

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I believe in follica, but also believe there are other players in cloning that are not as far out as you think. For f*** sake stop being a b**ch

You're the one ranting and swearing and I'm the one being the "b**ch"? Stop and think about that for a second.

And yes, there are other players; we've talked about this. More players in the game only really matters if those players are getting somewhere.

It's just that there aren't any who we have any sound reason to believe will deliver anything substantial anytime soon, unless you have some evidence to the contrary? TissUse is apparently waiting for someone else to clear their hurdle, HairClone doesn't even know how they're going to cultivate the cells, L'Oreal is still a number of years away from creating just one functioning follicle via bioprinting and that about covers it.

All who I am aware of are still struggling with getting the tech to a comparable level to Tsuji's — let alone ready for human trials.

Christian Miller

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're the one ranting and swearing and I'm the one being the "b**ch"? Stop and think about that for a second.

And yes, there are other players; we've talked about this. More players in the game only really matters if those players are getting somewhere.

It's just that there aren't any who we have any sound reason to believe will deliver anything substantial anytime soon, unless you have some evidence to the contrary? TissUse is apparently waiting for someone else to clear their hurdle, HairClone doesn't even know how they're going to cultivate the cells, L'Oreal is still a number of years away from creating just one functioning follicle via bioprinting and that about covers it.

All who I am aware of are still struggling with getting the tech to a comparable level to Tsuji's — let alone ready for human trials.
Still, there are more players in da game and that's always a good thing!

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I believe in follica, but also believe there are other players in cloning that are not as far out as you think. For f*** sake stop being a b**ch

I'm not sure what your issue is with his train of thought. It's his opinion and you don't have to agree with it.

In my opinion he's right. Outside of the players he listed that are further along with their research and trials the other companies (TissUse, L'oreal, etc.) aren't really going to benefit those of us that are hoping we can hold on to what we have before we go totally bald. That's not to say that those companies won't be successful down the line but if you still have some hair/youth left and you are hoping a treatment will become available before you lose everything then the newer players aren't going to benefit you.

It's really not that hard to understand....and there's really no point for the insults....

And using the "they'll just go to Japan!" excuse isn't so easy. Those new regulations are meant for Japanese based companies. The chances of a foreign company coming into Japan are slim to none because they won't receive the same benefits that the Japanese companies will. It's one of the many reasons Replicel teamed up with Shiseido, they knew the only way they'd be able to take advantage of the Japanese regulations is being teamed up with a native company.

Last edited:

MrV88

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just wonder why everybody is so excited about Follica? Where are the results? Photos? Did they give a launch date? İn which phase are they? Do we know more than minoxidil+wounding?

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just wonder why everybody is so excited about Follica?

For me, it's because they're based on something that we know is a feasible method of growing hair.

For example, there is the often-cited BBQ man, 2013 micro needling study or even users here like "Somebody"

and this has all been observed using primitive methods that don't really offer much control. Follica has been working on their tech for over 10 years now and is apparently worth sending off to a pivotal trial.

As far as I'm aware, how much hair you should be able to grow from something like that, should theoretically be limited to only how much skin there is, but figuring out how to grow the most hair in just one pass seems to be the golden ticket.

Where are the results? Photos?

In the hands of PureTech, Follica, and the relevant agencies.

Follica is no longer an indie-startup like RepliCel and it's not a research institute like Riken, as is the case of such companies; there is no obligation to show the results to the public; it's the FDA that matters.

That being said, according to an article on Rox Anderson that came out a few months back, Follica does plan to finally unveil some of the results from its first two trials in the near future.

İn which phase are they?

Completed 2, anticipated to start Phase 3 in the second half of 2017.

Do we know more than minoxidil+wounding?

It uses a mixture of compounds; looks to be about 3 different ones as per the photos of the smartphone app they've developed to help you keep the regimen up. Minoxidil likely would be one of them.

hanginginthewire

Reaction score
@That Guy

I'm sorry I keep harping on this but I just want to request a little more clarification. When Bimmler started his "don't be delusional, nothing new in next 30 yrs" thread, you participated with others in scoffing at the notion that no promising treatments are coming. Obviously there's a difference between say 10 years and 30 years though. Is that where your at? If Bimmler had said nothing new in 10 years would you have agreed? 5? Like, what are YOU banking on if your hair loss worsens? Again I apologize for the repeat interrogation. I think I focus on what you say because whether you are up or down on a given potential product you always comment with an air of assurance that implies you've really done your homework. But have you? Map out the next , let's say 6 years (10 is too painful for me to contemplate) of what you think might happen, with the proviso that I know you don't have a crystal ball. Whats gonna end all of our nightmares? Tell us! Lol

MrV88

My Regimen
Reaction score
For me, it's because they're based on something that we know is a feasible method of growing hair.

For example, there is the often-cited BBQ man, 2013 micro needling study or even users here like "Somebody"

and this has all been observed using primitive methods that don't really offer much control. Follica has been working on their tech for over 10 years now and is apparently worth sending off to a pivotal trial.

As far as I'm aware, how much hair you should be able to grow from something like that, should theoretically be limited to only how much skin there is, but figuring out how to grow the most hair in just one pass seems to be the golden ticket.

In the hands of PureTech, Follica, and the relevant agencies.

Follica is no longer an indie-startup like RepliCel and it's not a research institute like Riken, as is the case of such companies; there is no obligation to show the results to the public; it's the FDA that matters.

That being said, according to an article on Rox Anderson that came out a few months back, Follica does plan to finally unveil some of the results from its first two trials in the near future.

Completed 2, anticipated to start Phase 3 in the second half of 2017.

It uses a mixture of compounds; looks to be about 3 different ones as per the photos of the smartphone app they've developed to help you keep the regimen up. Minoxidil likely would be one of them.

Do you also know how long it would take them to finish phase 3 and get to the market if they really start in 2 half of 2017?

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Obviously there's a difference between say 10 years and 30 years though. Is that where your at?

If Bimmler had said nothing new in 10 years would you have agreed? 5?

The problem is in the wording "nothing new"; I definitely think there are going to be new things in the next 1 - 5 years.

Like, what are YOU banking on if your hair loss worsens?

Transplants, hairpiece in the worst of cases and as for new tech, Follica and Shiseido.

If the former can provide enough new growth to restore my hairline and the latter would enable me to ditch finasteride, then I would be cured.

I've thought so much about just saying f*** it and getting the transplant, but it's risky, might not look as natural and by the time it would grow out...something like Follica might come out and I've wasted money. So until I'm certain, the big 3 it is.

Map out the next , let's say 6 years (10 is too painful for me to contemplate) of what you think might happen

The crystal ball is always a bit cloudy, of course, but what I think is reasonable is that:

Shiseido and Follica will hit the market and as long as Tsuji's method for cultivating the cells maintains their hair-inducing properties (I'm quite optimistic about this) in humans, that will probably be around as well.

I suspect they will price Riken's therapy (and similar ones following in its footsteps) according to how much hair the patient requires and THAT is where my so-called "doom and gloom" comes into play: They could easily charge double the price of a normal transplant for a procedure that would allow you to control all aspects of the hair growth. Most people who are high NWs are unlikely to afford being able to go back to a NW2 or 1 in a single session and unlikely to afford multiple trips to Japan, and low NWs won't be able to justify the cost between conventional transplants and Follica being options. The majority of Riken's customer base will be from Japan as these are the people who would most easily be able to swing "touch up" sessions.

Put simply: I think that in the coming years, cost and location will result in most people being faced with a trade off. Do you take permanent or otherwise long lasting results from the hair you have, but settle with minimal regrowth? Do you take a cheaper treatment that gives you hair, but requires a lot of upkeep to maintain it?

Unless you're made of money, that is what I think it's going to look like outside of combination therapy. And if Tsuji were to fail, we obviously can't count on the others to bring a similar therapy to market in the foreseeable future

JimmyB

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The problem is in the wording "nothing new"; I definitely think there are going to be new things in the next 1 - 5 years.

Transplants, hairpiece in the worst of cases and as for new tech, Follica and Shiseido.

If the former can provide enough new growth to restore my hairline and the latter would enable me to ditch finasteride, then I would be cured.

I've thought so much about just saying f*** it and getting the transplant, but it's risky, might not look as natural and by the time it would grow out...something like Follica might come out and I've wasted money. So until I'm certain, the big 3 it is.

The crystal ball is always a bit cloudy, of course, but what I think is reasonable is that:

Shiseido and Follica will hit the market and as long as Tsuji's method for cultivating the cells maintains their hair-inducing properties (I'm quite optimistic about this) in humans, that will probably be around as well.

I suspect they will price Riken's therapy (and similar ones following in its footsteps) according to how much hair the patient requires and THAT is where my so-called "doom and gloom" comes into play: They could easily charge double the price of a normal transplant for a procedure that would allow you to control all aspects of the hair growth. Most people who are high NWs are unlikely to afford being able to go back to a NW2 or 1 in a single session and unlikely to afford multiple trips to Japan, and low NWs won't be able to justify the cost between conventional transplants and Follica being options. The majority of Riken's customer base will be from Japan as these are the people who would most easily be able to swing "touch up" sessions.

Put simply: I think that in the coming years, cost and location will result in most people being faced with a trade off. Do you take permanent or otherwise long lasting results from the hair you have, but settle with minimal regrowth? Do you take a cheaper treatment that gives you hair, but requires a lot of upkeep to maintain it?

Unless you're made of money, that is what I think it's going to look like outside of combination therapy. And if Tsuji were to fail, we obviously can't count on the others to bring a similar therapy to market in the foreseeable future

My hope is that Follica can be repeated to increase density, instead of having efficacy plateau. It'll obviously take longer than something like Tsuji (and probably won't be realistic for really high norwoods), but multiple treatments over 5 or so years might yield some decent results.

If it's really going to compete with hair transplants as members of the team hope, then I think this is plausible.

hanginginthewire

Reaction score

Thanks, interesting. I assume by up keeping you mean repeat injections from Replicel/Shisedo or multiple woundings from Follica? The whole at home app aspect of Follica sets off alarm bells for me. It screams gimmick. "People love apps! Let's have an app!" An app seems like it has f*** all to do with hair loss treatment.

Anyway, I'm in (emotional) hibernation mode until we hopefully learn SOMETHING at the hair congress.

H

Reaction score
I suspect they will price Riken's therapy (and similar ones following in its footsteps) according to how much hair the patient requires and THAT is where my so-called "doom and gloom" comes into play: They could easily charge double the price of a normal transplant for a procedure that would allow you to control all aspects of the hair growth. Most people who are high NWs are unlikely to afford being able to go back to a NW2 or 1 in a single session and unlikely to afford multiple trips to Japan, and low NWs won't be able to justify the cost between conventional transplants and Follica being options. The majority of Riken's customer base will be from Japan as these are the people who would most easily be able to swing "touch up" sessions
If this were to be true Riken must not be as smart as we all think this would limit their market so much they might as well not even develop it. If high norwoods cant benefit from this procedure and low norwoods would opt out for hair transplants who in the hell are they going to treat? Only the rich Japanese? Well wed have to narrow that down to the higher class Japanese who are balding, then we'd have to narrow that down to the balding higher class that actually give that much if a sh*t about balding. Anyone who's under the impression it will get cheaper what cosmetic medical procedure has come out expensive as hell and 5-10 years later shot down to the available level of middle class? If its 60g upfront at release to get a nw7 back to whatever you like, in 2025 i'd be hard pressed if it's 25g. Aside from the travel to Japan I believe Riken will release it at 30g its expensive but with a loan or whatev its attainable for most who really want it that bad. You could be right it could be expensive af when it comes out and if it is we might as well not even talk about it cuz it won't come down to an suddenly attainable price for a long time.

Last edited:

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
My hope is that Follica can be repeated to increase density, instead of having efficacy plateau. It'll obviously take longer than something like Tsuji (and probably won't be realistic for really high norwoods), but multiple treatments over 5 or so years might yield some decent results.

If it's really going to compete with hair transplants as members of the team hope, then I think this is plausible.

This is the one I was hoping for to hit soon...but starting to have doubts of the time line.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
If this were to be true Riken must not be as smart as we all think this would limit their market so much they might as well not even develop it. If high norwoods cant benefit from this procedure and low norwoods would opt out for hair transplants who in the hell are they going to treat? Only the rich Japanese?

The only way this treatment will be feasible for significantly bald foreigners is if they decide to charge a flat-rate for the procedure rather than per "graft", which is unlikely given that they plan to leverage transplant surgeons who don't get out of bed for less than a four-digit paycheck.

3,000 grafts of FUE and FUT in Canada easily costs around 14,500 and 25,000 CAD, respectively. There is no way such an involved, advanced therapy costs less than these numbers at launch.

The average NW7 is not going to be able to afford, nor take on the debt that would be required for easily twice as many primordial "grafts" at such a price. Their only option would be to get more hair as they can afford it over the span of years. But again, for someone far away from Japan, this is not practical. You'd easily be spending, regularly, the equivalent of many people's annual salaries to travel back and forth and get all of your hair back in a relatively-short timeframe.

Much more practical if you live in Japan, though. We see the same thing with conventional transplants. There are more people in Vancouver who will repeatedly visit Hasson & Wong or something than people from Manitoba who will fly back and forth to that particular clinic.

Organ Tech will undoubtedly want to secure the international market, but the Japanese market alone is more than enough for it to be profitable at nearly any price point within reason.

They do not care if international customers won't be able to travel to Japan for the treatment because it will still be profitable — you can wait until one of their locations opens near you.

Christian Miller

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
The only way this treatment will be feasible for significantly bald foreigners is if they decide to charge a flat-rate for the procedure rather than per "graft", which is unlikely given that they plan to leverage transplant surgeons who don't get out of bed for less than a four-digit paycheck.

3,000 grafts of FUE and FUT in Canada easily costs around 14,500 and 25,000 CAD, respectively. There is no way such an involved, advanced therapy costs less than these numbers at launch.

The average NW7 is not going to be able to afford, nor take on the debt that would be required for easily twice as many primordial "grafts" at such a price. Their only option would be to get more hair as they can afford it over the span of years. But again, for someone far away from Japan, this is not practical. You'd easily be spending, regularly, the equivalent of many people's annual salaries to travel back and forth and get all of your hair back in a relatively-short timeframe.

Much more practical if you live in Japan, though. We see the same thing with conventional transplants. There are more people in Vancouver who will repeatedly visit Hasson & Wong or something than people from Manitoba who will fly back and forth to that particular clinic.

Organ Tech will undoubtedly want to secure the international market, but the Japanese market alone is more than enough for it to be profitable at nearly any price point within reason.

They do not care if international customers won't be able to travel to Japan for the treatment because it will still be profitable — you can wait until one of their locations opens near you.
Interesting.
How long does an FUE or an FUT procedure take?
What do these procedures entail?
Tsuji's treatment can be a lot simpler.
Only some 100 follicles are extracted (and that's for a nw7 patient), and the germs are injected, not implanted the classical hair transplant way.
So, the surgeons can't charge that much for doing less than half the work they usually do.
In addition to that, Kyocera is to automize the procedure and that means more secured results, less time and less money.
I'm not saying it will cost 5gs, but it won't be that expensive.
Why are we even talking about costs?
We don't know if it's gonna happen, for Tsuji's sake.

H

Reaction score

Agreed

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Tsuji's treatment can be a lot simpler.

On paper, the procedure appears simpler, but the business model is much more complicated.

They plan to automate the entire process one day. For this, they need to build, staff (until the staff can be replaced), and maintain facilities for cultivating the cells, storage, shipping, machines, etc. You need at least the facilities, the storage and shipping right from the get go which will inevitably be responsible for the price.

Only some 100 follicles are extracted (and that's for a nw7 patient), and the germs are injected, not implanted the classical hair transplant way.

Yeah, only a handful of follicles are extracted, but what's actually given back to you will obviously depend on how bad your hairloss is and they absolutely must account for continued balding, since it's not like you can just forever keep taking biopsies. Therefore, it makes the most sense to charge per graft — just like a traditional transplant.

So, the surgeons can't charge that much for doing less than half the work they usually do

As per the interview, they aren't just working with any surgeon. They plan to train and work with "the best" transplant surgeons Japan has to offer.

There are only so many surgeons that will be doing this and I guarantee you these doctors are only willing to work for so little, even if it would mean more work in general. A transplant surgeon making 5 figures off just one job could do just a few a month and be happy.

Why work more than you have to?

Christian Miller

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
On paper, the procedure appears simpler, but the business model is much more complicated.

They plan to automate the entire process one day. For this, they need to build, staff (until the staff can be replaced), and maintain facilities for cultivating the cells, storage, shipping, machines, etc. You need at least the facilities, the storage and shipping right from the get go which will inevitably be responsible for the price.
You make it seem like it's the most complicated technique ever.
It's not.
The surgeon chops a few cms of your scalp off. The skin piece is stored and sent to the laboratory.
The technicians extract the follicles and isolate the stem cells. Then, those stem cells are amplified in thousands of thousands and are manipulated to form germs.
The germs are shipped to the surgeon and he/she injects them into your balding area.
The most complex part of this procedure is the bioengineering one, not the surgical one.

Yeah, only a handful of follicles are extracted, but what's actually given back to you will obviously depend on how bad your hairloss is and they absolutely must account for continued balding, since it's not like you can just forever keep taking biopsies. Therefore, it makes the most sense to charge per graft — just like a traditional transplant.
I don't get this argument.
Most probably, that's how they are gonna charge each procedure, by the number of grafts needed. So?

As per the interview, they aren't just working with any surgeon. They plan to train and work with "the best" transplant surgeons Japan has to offer.

There are only so many surgeons that will be doing this and I guarantee you these doctors are only willing to work for so little, even if it would mean more work in general. A transplant surgeon making 5 figures off just one job could do just a few a month and be happy.

Why work more than you have to?
Surgeons are able to carry out a certain number of hair transplants per day. With this new technique, they can serve more clients per day, so, even if their profit per procedure may be lower, the total daily profit may be the same or even bigger.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You make it seem like it's the most complicated technique ever.
It's not.

It is.

The procedure isn't limited to the walls of the clinic. You need cell-cultivation plants, staff, storage, shipping, maintenance, and this is all before the process would be fully-automated.

I don't get this argument.
Most probably, that's how they are gonna charge each procedure, by the number of grafts needed. So?

So, that's expensive.

Surgeons are able to carry out a certain number of hair transplants per day. With this new technique, they can serve more clients per day, so, even if their profit per procedure may be lower, the total daily profit may be the same or even bigger.

Take it from a guy who sets his own hours, and names his own prices in a business where there is no theoretical limit to what you can charge and the top dogs only need to do 3 - 5 — or sometimes fewer — projects to pay their bills for the entire year and the absolute highest tier often command million-dollar paychecks per gig. I've seen guys turn down gigs that will pay $10,000 and would only take them a month to do because it's "too low" for them and they'll instead pass it off to someone lesser-known: People do not work more than they have or want to.

To you and I, that sounds insane: but people who make a lot of money do it every day.

You're also forgetting that a regular transplant surgeon doesn't have to wait cellular cultivation. Conventional transplants are same-day procedures, but you have to wait weeks to actually treat a "hair primordium" patient.

If a transplant surgeon can do say...3 transplants in a day; even after he pays his staff and taxes, he has still made a shitload of money. Lots of in-demand cosmetic surgeons need only do a few surgeries per month to be able to afford nice houses, cars, travel, etc.

So, if someone comes to them and says "Hey, we have this revolutionary procedure that requires your skillset and would allow you to treat a lot more patients, but it will only cost a third (or whatever other fraction) of what your normal procedure does. So you'll have to see a lot more patients in a day to match your current revenue or greater." Most of them are going to say "Lol, no."

They'd stick to their conventional treatment that allows them to do less work and still make the money they want to and let younger newcomers do the new thing. They'll eventually be put out of work by the new procedure? So what, they've been sitting on salaries and assets that would allow them to retire right now, if they wanted to.