Testosterone Replacement Therapy ,propecia, Dht Levels And Sideeffects

Heinrich Harrer

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
The problem is that most of the low T cases are actually considered normal because both shbg and free T levels are literally normal / good, which means you’re not hypogonadal. Even with low lh/fsh. This is what my endo said and frankly he’s not wrong. However, fatigue and a host of other issues are present for me (such as heat intolerance, adrenal fatigue, general tiredness, little muscle mass, bones cracking a bit). I feel like an old man but my tests show that it’s all good. Go figure...

My hair did improve after being on TRT therapy. I had a uptake in Estrogen which resulted in fuller thicker hair. So in my experience I would agree. The hair I lossed did not come back but my doctor suggested it was due to my thyroid issue not DHT.

Ever since my thyroid got hit with hashimotos my hair went to sh*t. I was 14, I remember :/

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
The problem is that most of the low T cases are actually considered normal because both shbg and free T levels are literally normal / good, which means you’re not hypogonadal. Even with low lh/fsh. This is what my endo said and frankly he’s not wrong. However, fatigue and a host of other issues are present for me (such as heat intolerance, adrenal fatigue, general tiredness, little muscle mass, bones cracking a bit). I feel like an old man but my tests show that it’s all good. Go figure...

Ever since my thyroid got hit with hashimotos my hair went to sh*t. I was 14, I remember :/

I take Naturethroid 2 grains which is 78mcgs of T4 and 18mcgs of T3. I thought possibly when I was losing hair that it could be due to a thyroid issue and supplementing with this and using Minoxidil did result it regrowth on the top (I am considered subclinical hypothyroid, my TSH is always high but my thyroid hormones are low normal). However the hair line and temples were also starting to recede a bit which made me start Finasteride. The hair is starting to grow back on the temples and hair line for me and I also am taking Clomid. I also do not need to put Toppik on my hair anymore as coverup which is nice.

pikemason

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I'm starting MK677 which will release HGH and increase Igf 1. There have been some reports that it may help with hair growth, quality and improve the hair cycle. I will update the group. My Igf-1 on my test results were low so this will be interesting to see if this helps with hair.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Started .05 topical Finasteride with low dose TRT. Noticing a change for the worse in the quality hair, mich more whispy/brittle. I also dropped RU.

Could the TRT be offsetting the Finasteride for a net loss?

Diffuse NW1.5 in NW6 pattern only 2 years into Hairloss.

Is it crazy to try oral Finasteride with topical Finasteride? maybe even add back the RU? Is 4 months enough to know if this is working?

medSTATIC

My Regimen
Reaction score
Started .05 topical Finasteride with low dose TRT. Noticing a change for the worse in the quality hair, mich more whispy/brittle. I also dropped RU.

Could the TRT be offsetting the Finasteride for a net loss?

Diffuse NW1.5 in NW6 pattern only 2 years into Hairloss.

Is it crazy to try oral Finasteride with topical Finasteride? maybe even add back the RU? Is 4 months enough to know if this is working?

Hmm, I would not recommend that at all.
IMO being on TRT means having regular endocrine check-up and if you start to mix up drugs, it can get impossible to know the source of upcoming problems.
1/. I think you should switch to oral finasteride and stop topical. It is absolutely pointless to use both.
2/. I would stay away from RU in your case : you're on TRT and we still don't know if you are a good responder to finasteride
3/. People generally say wait 6 months to see results

wannamyhairback

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone. @Retinoid
I have a feeling hair loss, especially in younger men, is caused by too low of testosterone and NOT too high. Mainly secondary hypogonadism where the brain is not telling the testicles to produce more T even though the body is severely lacking. I think the body, in response to low androgens, increases localized conversion of T to the more potent DHT which causes problems in those tissues (such as hair loss). The optimal treatment would be something like low dose Clomid and testosterone supports.

Chemically castrating oneself is essentially the opposite of what your body needs but is strong enough to overpower the localized increase in androgens. Taking exogenous testosterone is also not great when your testicles are already working. Finasteride is the least harmful however still causes people to be testosterone deficient when they have low T and actually compounds the problem of low T over the long term (decreases FSH/LH).

Hello everyone. Man i want to back up your idea . I experienced exactly what you said. after being on trt dose 100 mg per week, i got my hair to be strengthened quite well , its been 3 weeks that i am doing pct , and my hair got raped again.

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry, my bad. Do you really feel better? I'm actually doing the opposite and removing testosterone from my body, I have no idea what my levels are at but I actually feel great.. If you don't include the side effects!
So you feel great even with sides? What sides do you have?

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
So you feel great even with sides? What sides do you have?
Most noticeably a reduced sex drive, some mild but unnoticeable gyno and I'm infertile. The last one is reversible at lower doses.

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Most noticeably a reduced sex drive, some mild but unnoticeable gyno and I'm infertile. The last one is reversible at lower doses.

You said most notable, what are some least notable? Also, do these side effects not bother you enough or you are simply willing to do anything to keep your hair?

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
You said most notable, what are some least notable? Also, do these side effects not bother you enough or you are simply willing to do anything to keep your hair?
Some of the less notable are reduced sebum production. I used to have to wash my hair every day as it got really greasy, but now I can go days without washing. Another is it is harder to get an erection but it usually works and I always have v**** on hand just in case. Another would be slight fat redistribution but I still look very much male so this doesn't bother me. I am willing to go pretty far to keep my hair.

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@AnxiousAndy: tbh, the sebum reduction seems to be the only manageable if not desired effect that wouldn't bother me. The reduced sex drive, gyno possibility, infertility and the slightest degree of ED are so very unappealing. Depending on v**** in the 30's seems like a stretch. Good luck on your path though and hopefully you'll be successful and satisfied with the treatment for a long time.

SCAMPANE

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would like to bump this topic

I am currently 31 years old. I have been on TRT since 2012 below my doctor’s recommended dose. I am prescribed 200mg/week but I only take 40mg/week, the reason being I do not want the testosterone to convert into DHT causing more hair loss. I have bloodwork done every 3 months and my testosterone is on the lower end of normal range. Aside from slight weight gain in my abdomen, I feel fine and do not have any side effects.

My question is, will starting finasteride at 1mg/day and increasing my trt dose to the prescribed amount of 200mg/week reduce the DHT enough to prevent hair loss and offset any potential finasteride side effects.

When I brought up the topic of finasteride to my hair transplant Doctor and my TRT Doctor they both stated there are potential sexual side effects with the drug.

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score

I am currently 31 years old. I have been on TRT since 2012 below my doctor’s recommended dose. I am prescribed 200mg/week but I only take 40mg/week, the reason being I do not want the testosterone to convert into DHT causing more hair loss. I have bloodwork done every 3 months and my testosterone is on the lower end of normal range. Aside from slight weight gain in my abdomen, I feel fine and do not have any side effects.

My question is, will starting finasteride at 1mg/day and increasing my trt dose to the prescribed amount of 200mg/week reduce the DHT enough to prevent hair loss and offset any potential finasteride side effects.

When I brought up the topic of finasteride to my hair transplant Doctor and my TRT Doctor they both stated there are potential sexual side effects with the drug.

Finasteride will help but 200 a/week seems a little high for me. A steroid cycle for a beginner is 250/a week...really im not an expert but for me 200 a/week is too much and will hurt your hairs even with finasteride

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score

finasteride in many cases will still help your hair even if you bump up your TRT dosage. There are side effects associated with the drug, but that's universal for all drugs. Probably about 95% of finasteride users do not get any side effect bad enough to cause them to quit taking it.

SCAMPANE

My Regimen
Reaction score
finasteride in many cases will still help your hair even if you bump up your TRT dosage. There are side effects associated with the drug, but that's universal for all drugs. Probably about 95% of finasteride users do not get any side effect bad enough to cause them to quit taking it.

Thanks for the reply. I took my first dose last night before bed, .5mg of generic finasteride and so far so good.

pikemason

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

im getting progess even while being on trt but I think im going to add dutasteride weekly when I inject.

my test levels came back at 945 today. Holly sh*t... and I feel amazing.

Last edited:

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
cause real men go bald
It obviously has nothing to do with that. But yes, real men would rather go bald than see their dock fade away or rely on other meds to get an erection or lose drive etc. In the light of potential risks (please read the potential word also), you don't see very many family men that persist in taking fina or duta despite going through sides (and being able to start and maintain a family is pretty damn manly). It is mainly the lonely (singles I should say) or the once being scared of rejection that persist despite going through sides (please note that the key here is not takin or not taking fina but taking fina even if you suspect it may give you unpleasant sides).

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
there;s a big difference from "juicing" and a "Testosterone replacement therapy". I'm under doctor supervision, I do blood work every 3 months and all the medications comes from a FDA approved compounding pharmacy. Its a very safe drug to take long term actually, but for hair of course its not the best thing. I'm pretty sure I could take both drugs safely. I have a meeting with Dr. Saya. at the end of the month, his one of the best Hormone replacement doctors in america, I'm gonna get his feedback.
While there seem to be some benefits for people that are "clinically' low on testosterone, it seems to be more and more like onion juice. If u ask even a student studying endocrinology, they will tell you about the feedback loop. Really the while system seems to be working based on both the values of individual hormonal values but also (and probably crucial) on the overall entourage effect, a system that "feeds" itself with the overall effect of all hormones in sync. If you have Superman testosterone but your whole system is out of whack, ain't hg onna make the difference you want

pikemason

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I studied for 2 years before I started therapy. You are correct but I add hcg every 6 months for LH and FSH production and fertility. I have lost 65lbs, reversed diabetes that I was headed towards and quality of life is much better. Everybody is different tho, I would like a full head of hair but if I dont thats ok too. I love myself regardless bro.