Test results normal...sigh

jvantin1

Reaction score
Arrgh...these f*****g doctors.

As tempting as it is to believe--and believe me, I so wanted to believe it--progesterone IS NOT A MIRACLE CURE. Natural progesterone changes your hormonal balance, which will affect your follicles. I used ProGest and also took progesterone in lozenge form, and neither did a thing for my hair. In fact, it may be coincidental, but when I stopped the progesterone, my hair seemed to improve AND I became a lot less bloated.

Can I just say one thing? NEVER, EVER listen to a doctor when he says a drug won't cause hair loss. They're saying that because they're arrogant and ignorant. Do your own research on the net first.

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
jvantin1 said:
As tempting as it is to believe--and believe me, I so wanted to believe it--progesterone IS NOT A MIRACLE CURE. Natural progesterone changes your hormonal balance, which will affect your follicles. I used ProGest and also took progesterone in lozenge form, and neither did a thing for my hair. In fact, it may be coincidental, but when I stopped the progesterone, my hair seemed to improve AND I became a lot less bloated.

I thought you were on spironolactone and Folligen? Still using them?
How long were you using the progesterone cream?
YOu've started a lot of products since you started posting here and I wonder if you give them a chance to work.

In his book on progesterone and menopause, Dr. John R. Lee states, p.323,
When progesterone levels are raised by progesterone supplements, the androstenedione level will gradually fall, and your normal hair growth will eventually resume. Since hair growth is a slow process, it may take four to six months for the effects to become apparent.

There are NO MIRACLE CURES, barring a real miracle. Whatever you try takes a long time. I think most everyone on this forum will tell you it takes time.
Two doctors that I trust (somewhat) told me it would take time--months--to get regrowth.

You told me about the Atkins Telogen Effluvium, so you must know it takes 3-4 months for that shed to begin.
There is a time difference between starting or stopping a product/treatment/diet for the corresponding loss/regrowth to begin.

As far as the bloat, you may have been overdosing by taking the cream and lozenge together.

jvantin1

Reaction score
Hi,

No, I didn't take the cream and lozenge together. I stopped the cream months before I started the lozenge. And yes, I'm still using the spironolactone. That's pretty much the only thng i've used on a regular basis. I have a whole cabinet of stuff I've bought to use for my problem, including anthralin, topical spironolactone, and folligen. I still use the anthralin for my AA bald patch--by the way, that hair is now growing in. The folligen and the topical spironolactone has fallen by the wayside, because I'm simply terrified of using anything all over my whole head, fearing mass shedding. I cannot shake my fear of that.

You're going to laugh, but I just spent MORE money of 5 percent minoxidil, to use just on my one thinning temple. If I lose all my hair there, it's totally hidden, so i thought I'd do an experiment where the potentially disastrous results won't be notcieable. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from using progesterone. I just want to say that it's not a sure thing. Believe me, I thought it would be for me, because of my Depo experience. And frankly, I've never heard one woman on this board or anywhere else say that it worked for them. I really do think once your hormones are altered, it can be difficult, if not impossible, to get them back to where they were before they were disrupted. I do think, however, that it's possible that hair loss can stabilize. And I have to say that I'm happy with the oral spironolactone--been on it for almost a year, with no ill effects. I just hope it continues to work.

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
jvantin1 said:
Hi,

You're going to laugh, but I just spent MORE money of 5 percent minoxidil, to use just on my one thinning temple. If I lose all my hair there, it's totally hidden, so i thought I'd do an experiment where the potentially disastrous results won't be notcieable. I'll let you know how it goes

Wouldn't laugh at that. Hope you could get the generic stuff, not as $$$. Please, keep us informed on your experiment.

jvantin1 said:
I'm not trying to discourage anyone from using progesterone. I just want to say that it's not a sure thing. Believe me, I thought it would be for me, because of my Depo experience. And frankly, I've never heard one woman on this board or anywhere else say that it worked for them. I really do think once your hormones are altered, it can be difficult, if not impossible, to get them back to where they were before they were disrupted. I do think, however, that it's possible that hair loss can stabilize. And I have to say that I'm happy with the oral spironolactone--been on it for almost a year, with no ill effects. I just hope it continues to work.
I'm glad the spironolactone is working for you. Since I have Telogen Effluvium, spironolactone isn't recommended by HHT, and I ain't taking no chances....
HOW LONG did you stay on the progesterone cream,??? That's my big question!! And, yes, I have heard of women who regrew hair on progesterone. On other forums, not here, maybe power-surge.Of course, progesterone won't work for everyone. I think you have to be estrogen dominant. [And, my theory only here, your body freaks on synthetic hormones.] Progesterone probably works better on Telogen Effluvium than Androgenetic Alopecia??!?! :hairy: