Test results normal...sigh

jvantin1

Reaction score
Well, I had ALL the tests recommended on this site. All are "normal." If you see anything here that isn't--or may indicate a subclinical problem--please let me know.

The biggies:

CBC all normal.

Testosterone, total: 22 ng/dL
DHEA-S: 339 MCG/dL
Iron: 118 mcg/dl
Ferritin: 121 ng/ml

FSH: 6.2 MIU/ML
LH: 2.5 MIU/ML
TSH: 1.19 MIU/L
Prolactin: 7 ng/ml
T4: .8

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
jvantin1 said:
Well, I had ALL the tests recommended on this site. All are "normal."

I know this site doesn't go into it, but what about your estrogen/progesterone levels, and more importantly, their ratios.
I've got some blood work coming back in the next week or so. Will post if other tests were done, and if they were "off" :)

jvantin1

Reaction score
You know, I asked for a full blood workup, and he never did test for E and P. Figures that he wouldn't order the most important tests, although I do subscribe to the theory that blood tests are useless for E and P--that these levels are fluctuating constantly, so testing for them in the blood would be sort of like taking a Polaroid of them at the very moment blood was being tested.

Some months ago, I did have saliva testing for E and P--estrogen was up, P was low. I was taking P troches, but they didn't seem to do a thing. I stopped taking them.

However, I wonder whether FSH and LH tests wouldn't indicate whether E or P were off. what do you think?

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
I know you should have estrogen and progesterone tested on certain days of your cycle. Progesterone is best checked on day 18- day 21 of your cycle. I'm not sure about the estrogen.

Another method of testing is saliva testing. It reflects only the biologically available hormones. It is far more accurate than testing the blood levels.

If your doctor doesn't do them and you've got the $$$, you can do them on your own. I haven't looked into this yet, but if the next gyn doesn't pan out, I might HAVE to. http://www.salivatest.com/

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
mariejoe....I've read your posts here and there.....I've noticed that you have a lot of info on estrogen/progesterone. Has this been a factor relating to your hairloss??? If so....have you found a way to correct this??? I'm very interested to know if this could be one of my underlying causes of my hair loss....
thanks

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
rozzy...thanks to totaldisPAIR. She told me about a book she read, What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Premenopause: Balance Your Hormones and Your Life from Thirty to Fifty, by Dr. John Lee. He also wrote a book, What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause: The Breakthrough Book on Natural Progesterone, which I have read. They're both about $11.00, plus postage, at Amazon.com. Well worth it.

Through his book, I have come to believe many "symptoms" are hormone balance related!! Like hair loss, loss of libido, fibrocystic breasts, poor sleep, headaches, irritability, allergies, etc., etc. These are symptoms of estrogen-dominance.
He goes on to say, that we take synthetic BCP and HRT, eat meat laced with hormones, among other things. Our bodies cannot fully recognize and utilize these synthetics. It eventually throws our bodies out of whack, hormonely. Women are losing their hair earlier, girls (and boys) are developing earlier, women experience more infertility, etc.
He talks about hormone imbalance and cancer, heart disease. bone loss, pelvic disease.
It justs makes sense, we put these chemicals into our bodies and do we REALLY know the side effects. For that matter, does the medical profession really know the effects of synthetic hormones. Don't get me wrong, they were all we had for years. But the "establishment" medicos don't seem to want to hear "natural hormones".. Could the drug companies be "in" on this??!?? 8O Also, at the risk of sounding sexist, after all, in the early years, most of the researchers were men ormale-dominated.

My derm. buys this idea, completely. Of course, it helps she is menopausal and into some alternative care. After my disasterous endo visit, my derm gave me a scrip for 100mg. Prometrium.. We'll see, its only been 5 days.

Back to the disaster at the endo: she doesn't "do" female hormones???!?! She did some other adrenal, thyroid, diabetes screens. We'll see what she says. She did say, I may have more than one thing going on, hormonally. She thinks my cortisol levels are off, and if true, may prescibe oral spironolactone. She said she has women patients who have had luck with it.
She did refer me to women gyns, and I have an appt with one on August 7. I'll bet she also validates this imbalance stuff.
Hell, all over the site you hear the men (and women) talking about hormone RATIOS! We all can't be wrong. :rockon:

I'm on the natural hormone bandwagon, and I'll be sure to post any results, good or bad. I'm confident they will be good.
There really is no baldness in my family, esp. for my age (50). And, this all started happening about 4-6 months AFTER is started synthetic HRT, femhrt.
I'm sorry to go on so, but I get on a roll.

By the way, Dr. Lee has a webstie, http://www.johnleemd.com/

Keep in touch...and I'll do the same.

:)

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
e
Rozzy252 said:
mariejoe...I've noticed that you have a lot of info on estrogen/progesterone. Has this been a factor relating to your hairloss??? If so....have you found a way to correct this??? I'm very interested to know if this could be one of my underlying causes of my hair loss....
thanks
This morning, I thought on your post, and remembered more info: from Dr. Lee's What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause: The Breakthrough Book on Natural Progesterone, : p. 323 of this book.
When progesterone levels are raised by progesterone supplements the androstenedione** level will gradually fall, and your normal hair growth will eventaully return. Since hair growth is a slow process, it may take four to six months for the effects to become apparent.

You can buy quality progesterone cream on the internet! There are resources listed on Dr. Lee's site. If you have trouble finding the doasage, post back to me and I'll get the info from his book.
Check it out...
Let me know what YOU think of his info on hormone imbalance. :)

**androstenedoine: Androgenic (masculinizing) hormones, they are precursors to testosterone and the estrogens. Produced in the ovaries and the adrenals from either progesterone or DHEA, they are the sourse of estrogen production after menopause or loss of one's ovaries.

jvantin1

Reaction score
Hi,

I don't want to discourage any woman from looking into natural progesterone, because you never, ever know what's going to help. However, might I gently suggest that this may not be the answer, either.

I was on natural P for 7 months, and saw no regrowth. I now lean more toward the theory that some women are just more sensitive to androgens. Unless you're really seriously deficient in progesterone, or your E to P ratio is seriously skewed, I'm not sure this will make much of a difference.

I, too, have read Dr. Lee's book, and it's unfortunate that he didn't say more about hair loss. That one paragraph just wasn't enough.

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
jvantin1 said:
I don't want to discourage any woman from looking into natural progesterone, because you never, ever know what's going to help. However, might I gently suggest that this may not be the answer, either.

Unless you're really seriously deficient in progesterone, or your E to P ratio is seriously skewed, I'm not sure this will make much of a difference.

Sorry I didn't respond before the cretin posted. He must be the spawn of Satan.
I also had computer problems, and was on the phone with Microsoft for hours Friday and Saturday. But, they fixed it :) :) ...since their "security" update set off the problem.

Back to hair, I agree with you almost completely. You have to have your P/E ratio off, and be low on progesterone.
He calls it estrogen dominance. I think women who were on BCP and HRT are good candidates for this syndrome. I saw the norm for P/e, and it was like 20:1, or 40:1 at the low end of normal. The high number is the progeseterone.
Lord knows, the doctors don't know much about this. And we are not alone! I read in the men's forum how Propecia is having "sexual side effects" for some of them. So you grow hair, and can't perform. I bet the doctors don't dwell on that AWFUL side effect when prescribing the drug.

Of course, who knows if any treatments will work. If it's meant to be... and after awhile, I have several options going on. I'm waiting for blood work from the enod, even though I think it's a dead end, you just NEVER know. It might be the charm.

jvantin1 said:
I, too, have read Dr. Lee's book, and it's unfortunate that he didn't say more about hair loss. That one paragraph just wasn't enough.
You got that right! :rockon: If I get in the mood I may just try to e-mail those folks.
The thing is, I have several of the estrogen dominance symptoms. I'm now one femhrt every other day, vagifem every other other day. Prometrium every day. Until I see my NEW gyn on August 5th. Hope to be off all synthetics after that.

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your info Mariejoe...I will have to look into that book. I find that since I've quit the pill....things are starting to feel a little more normal.....the problem with our endocrine system...is that some little thing may be the cause of all this. One of the things I was really reading into when I first got diagnosed with PCOS was how insulin resistance can effect hormone production......especially our reproductive hormones...I should read up on this again so that I know what I'm talking about :lol: . Anyways, I'll keep you posted.

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Rozzy252 said:
find that since I've quit the pill....things are starting to feel a little more normal.....the problem with our endocrine system...is that some little thing may be the cause of all this. One of the things I was really reading into when I first got diagnosed with PCOS was how insulin resistance can effect hormone production......especially our reproductive hormones
How long since you've been off BCP?
I hope to see similar results. The body is such a marvel, so complicated how can mere mortals figure it out, he-he?
You mentioned insulin-resistance, and that is interesting. I started Atkins March 3, 2003. I was definitely carb-addicted. I've lost 22 lbs. to date. and hope for a dozen more, by year's end. Anyhow, my change in eating habits probably disrupted my insulin resistance, although the endo sure didin't mention it, she's probably one of those anti-Atkins!!! Which may have started my latest shed, who knows??? It seems to be evening out, anyway.
And, yes, our bodies DO NOT REALLY know what to do with synthetic hormones!!
Rozzy252 said:
...I should read up on this again so that I know what I'm talking about :lol: . Anyways, I'll keep you posted.

I'd be interested in knowing where you found this info, maybe it is a source I need to read. Thanks. :hairy:

jvantin1

Reaction score
I read the low-carb boards all the time, and hair loss is definitely mentioned as one of the side effects of Atkins and of low-carbing in general. If your hair loss started three or four months after onset of your low-carb diet, bingo--there you go.

I suggest you go to http://www.lowcarber.org for further information.

Hope this helps.

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, starting Atkins corresponds to my latest shed. Like about 4-5 months after I started Atkins. Double damn. Try to lose a little weight, and get kicked in the ***. :twisted:

Thanks, I'll check there.

jvantin1

Reaction score
I know--if it's not one thing, it's another.

If it's any consolation, most of the folks on Atkins do get their hair back. Also, if you're not yet doing it, I would start eating ground flaxseed. It contains essential fatty acids that are purported to be good for the hair.

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
I spent part of the morning going through some of the hair loss threads. It was quite interesting. In the back of my mind, I thought about atkins causing the shed. I also had a perm, but my stylist said perm damage would be breakage, not shedding.
So, while my HRT caused my hair loss to start last fall, Atkins led to the latest shed. It is sooooo nice to know why your hair is falling out. Now, to know how to get it to grow. :laugh:

Seriously, thanks for the info at http://www.lowcarber.org. I'll have to become better acquainted w/them. I also posted the HairLossTalk.com site--no one seemed to mention them.

As far as supplements, I take 5mg of biotin, EPA/GLA, a multi, selenium, vitamins E & C, fiber, and a few others. Can't see a deficiency there. It's a good thing Puritan's Pride-- http://www.puritan.com/ -- is reasonably priced--I'm a good customer of theirs. :hairy:

Maxine

Reaction score
Yes. I too tried progesterone cream and to my dismay, my hair loss got WORSE!!!! Feel so helpless at times. Wished I knew what the answer is and what has been going on molecularly in my body all these years that causes hair loss! So FRUSTRATING!!!!! AAAAAAAAH!!!
:evil: :evil:

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
jvantin1 said:
I know--if it's not one thing, it's another.

If it's any consolation, most of the folks on Atkins do get their hair back. Also, if you're not yet doing it, I would start eating ground flaxseed. It contains essential fatty acids that are purported to be good for the hair.

For what it's worth, my derm (the only good dr I have) recommended flaxseed, too. Nice to have a doctor agree! :laugh:

Maxine said:
Yes. I too tried progesterone cream and to my dismay, my hair loss got WORSE!!!! Feel so helpless at times.
How long after you began using the cream before hairloss got worse? Did you just stop using it? Or did the shed run its course?
I'm wondering if it was a Telogen Effluvium episode, brought about my your hormones changing, due to the extra progesterone. Are you one BCP or HRT?.
Your extra loss leaves me :freaked2: . I was told by my derm and my new gyn that quitting HRT and starting Prometrium would cause no additional hairloss.
I'm still in my Atkins Telogen Effluvium!!! :roll: