Study: Licorice, peppermint DECREASE sebum secretion

ram_in_md

Reaction score
Question about type of water

Guys,

I just bought peppermint essential oil from Body Shop. I have an old 50ML Tricomin container which I think will be perfect for this mixture. I will get distilled water from safeway tomorrow. I am assuming that bottled water like Dasani (which is purified using Reverse Osmosis) will work. Am I right?

Secondly, if anyone has luck acquiring licorice, please post here. I am looking to get the right extract too and will probably do it. After 3 years with excellent results on finasteride, I have lately started to shed big time. I am adding Prox-N and peppermint spray to my regimen. Hopefully, this will help control the shed.

Thanks.

Charly

Reaction score
Very good post....I just started using a shampoo that contains peppermint is called Peppar and I immediately noticed less sebum production and my hair does seem to be thickening up a bit as well. Dropped H & S. I had been using H & S for a few years and didn't seem to be working very well. Was also on minoxidil for a while and stopped but did notice that my scalp would feel better when I started using this new shampoo but it would kind of react to the H & S and make my scalp itchy while I was on minoxidil foam. What do you guys think? It has Nettles, Peppermint, Rosemary, cayene pepper, placenta.

Check it out

http://www.amazon.com/Placenta-Plus-Sha ... B0001430N4

and here are the ingredients in it.

Water (agua), Sodium C-14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, ammonium laureth sulfate, Cocamide DEA, Ammonium Chloride, Capsicum Frutescens Resin (which is hot pepper), Niacin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Achillea Millefollium (Yarrow) Extract, Arctium Majus (Burdock) Root Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Urtica Dioica Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Glyceryl Stearate, Polyquaternium-10, Lactic Acid, PEG-150 Distearate, Propylene Glycol, Methychlorisothiazolinone, Methylisthiazolinone, Fragrance (Parfum), Red 33 (cI17200, Red 4 (CI14700).

mjd50

Reaction score
It looks like it has good stuff in it. It will be good to see if there are any further results with more time. It doesn't look that expensive either.

Newbaldy84

Established Member
Reaction score
would this be ok?
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... f%26sa%3DN

I'll buy it and test it on my body hair.

You guys said that this could be even better than RU. What are you basing this on?

also look at this. It's quite disturbing..

Licorice - also has lots of phytoestrogenic compounds but side effects and long term toxicity preclude it's value as a Hormone Replacer. In fact, it is one of the very few plants that has a direct hormonal action in the human body (source). It's generally used short-term as a treatment for Asthma or other bronchial problems in that it acts as an expectorant. It also can cause high blood pressure if used for extended periods.

[following information added 4 January 2002]

Here are some additional cautionary notes on the over-use of Licorice (glycyrrhiza glabra):

Licorice can act as an anti-coagulant, preventing blood clots. This can be a benefit for someone who is prone to thrombosis (a potential risk of taking exogenous estrogen compounds). However, it also leaves the person risk to hemmorraging and hematomas. "Glycyrrhizin prolonged thrombin and fibrinogen clotting times, and inhibited thrombin-induced, but not collagen-, PAF- or convulxin-induced platelet aggregation." Francischetti IM, Monteiro RQ, Guimaraes JA, Francischetti B. Department of Medical Biochemistry, ICB/CCS, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. (source)

Licorice acts as a corticosteroid and abuse or long term use has similar effects, one of which can be corticosteroid-induced Cushing's Syndrome. "Urine cortisol excretion more than doubled (33 to 83 microgm) in 10 of 13 people taking 100 or 200 g licorice for 1-4 weeks. Levels typical of Cushing's syndrome were seen in 7 subjects and remained high for a week after licorice stopped." Epstein MT, Espiner EA, Donald RA, Hughes H, Cowles RJ, Lun S. (source)

Lowered potassium levels, increased thirst, increased blood pressure, and a craving for salty foods are also common with Licorice abuse. "Increases in potassium loss, water intake and appetite for salt were found after glycyrrhizic acid blocking of 11 beta-OHSD (EC 1.1.1.146) in rats. Results resembled effect of mineralocorticoid" Cooney AS, Fitzsimons JT. Physiological Laboratory, Cambridge, UK. (source)

(See Note on purchasing Licorice Below)

ANDROGEN BLOCKERS

Licorice - "Testosterone decreased 35% and 17-hydroxyprogesterone increased 21% in 7 men taking 7 g/d licorice (500 mg glycyrrhizic acid) for a week; returning to normal 4 days later. This indicates inhibition of 17B-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase and 17,20-lyase" Armanini D, Bonanni G, Palermo M.(source)

A Note on Purchasing Licorice: There are actually two forms of this herbal available on the market. One is labeled as being "De-glycyrrhizinated" (abbreviated "DGL") and does not carry the health risks of non-DGL licorice but also does not contain the glycyrrhizic acid (the active ingredient) of interest to anyone taking Licorice as part of an herbal HRT regimen. If you plan to use Licorice for HRT purposes (either as an anti-androgen, phytoestrogen, or both) make sure that you purchase the non-DGL kind.

michael barry

Reaction score
Licorice sounds great, and probably could be configured in a topical. I dont know what its soluble in, etc. I do know that it inhibits angiogenesis, but so does gree tea.

I find the possible combination of peppermint oil and arnica or rose hips oils or extracts in a water base to be interesting personally. Youd have an alpha five inhibitor and a receptor blocker. Rose hips (or rose fruit) also supposedly has some retin-A-type compounds therein and a ton of good vitamin C. There is a rose hips tea that people drink. A bottle of an essential oil like this would probably cost next to nothing and last near a year diluted in water, etc.

I actually seen a "peppermint and arnica shampoo" also.

It would seem that with some experimentation on our body hair, one of the guys will find a great topical alpha five inhibitor and receptor inhibitor combo that was effective that could be had for a song price-wise. These things are available as extracts or oils in many cases. One must (of course) look up and see which are water or oil soluble, if they can mix with an alcohol carrier if one mixes with water and no oil (oils usually penetrate the skin pretty well, but not always of course). I have not really looked into any saftey warnings for any of these substances however. I know there is a rose hips tea, so Im assuming its safe, and I know peppermint is safe. I haven't really delved into much of the other stuff, but can say factually that many people eat licorice (the real thing, not candy flavoring) so its probably pretty safe also.

I hope some folks have success with this stuff. It would be great to have a helpful homemade anti-androgen that can be made cheap. Not all my hair-challenged pals are made of money.

michael barry

Reaction score
The Japanese study mentioned 'rose fruit' which Ive read is another name for 'rose hips' which are apparently the little "fruit" on the sides of a rose shoot under the blossom.

I dont think the seeds therein are considered to be the same thing for the reason that Ive not heard of teas being made from seeds before. However, perhaps they are part of the whole of what is considered to be "rose hips", but perhaps not. Obviously Im not a florist. I just lucked up on that study one night looking for more info on peppermint.

It is interesting that three different receptor blockers were mentioned in the study-----licorice, rose fruit (hips), arnica. I feel almost "surely" one will be effective for us--at least thats my hope.

CCS

Reaction score
michael barry said:
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=2915003

On licorice and agiogenesis.

it seems like every plant anti-oxidant/extract inhibits angiogenesis. apple poly still grows hair. so does grapeseed extract, which is an aromatase inhibitor. I've decided to not worry about the angiogenesis thing. i think topical curcumin reduces body hair mainly by inhibiting 5ar1, not by inhibiting angiogenisis.

CCS

Reaction score
It inhibited granuloma angiogenesis. That is an inflammed tumor. They speculated it might inhibit other angiiogenesis too. But it was not the licorice extract that did it. It was a water soluble concentrated molecule that did it, which was 50x as potent at inhibition than the licorice extract was. They did not say what species of licorice it was either. I do hope the EGCG in my body wash helps prevent skin cancer.

michael barry

Reaction score
CCS,

Topical curcumin probably downregs receptor expression a great deal. Thats why androscience is attempting to make a topical out of it. In trials now.

The angiogenesis might be a false "worry".

Arnica can be very poisonious as an essential oil or if injested (systemic absorbtion), so there is a danger there.

Rose hips are in many skin creams though.................................and it inhibited receptor binding and does not inhibit angiogenesis.

Finasteride + topical rose hips tea w/vehicle?

Looking for the easiest regimine possible that is still very effective personally.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys

Rose hip oil is another component in Oropelum, my product developed a few years old.

Armando

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
michael barry said:
CCS,

Topical curcumin probably downregs receptor expression a great deal. Thats why androscience is attempting to make a topical out of it. In trials now.

Arnica can be very poisonious as an essential oil or if injested (systemic absorbtion), so there is a danger there.

Rose hips are in many skin creams though.................................and it inhibited receptor binding and does not inhibit angiogenesis.

Looking for the easiest regimine possible that is still very effective personally.

michael, are you looking into arnica as an anti-androgen? my mom goes to this homepathic, she asked him about my hair loss and he prescribed arnica oil mixed with some essential oil and application (massage) about 3 times a week for at least 2-3 hours. I only did it for a week, do you think its worth giving a shot?

mumuka

Established Member
Reaction score
goata007 said:
my mom goes to this homepathic, she asked him about my hair loss and he prescribed arnica oil mixed with some essential oil and application (massage) about 3 times a week for at least 2-3 hours.
What essential oil is mixed with arnica?If you know ,could you post the percentage of the used oils.Thanks.

Charly

Reaction score
So before I started using the shampoo that I posted about on this thread I was using H&S and rogaine foam. Stopped the foam, just got lazy a bit and switched the shampoo too the one that has menthol and have thinned a bit so I started back on the rogaine foam a week or 2 ago and definitely wondering if its the menthol in it has something to do with it or the stop of rogaine. What do you guys think? Whos using menthol/peppermint and what do you guys think of it. Updates?

Also intersting find on licorice as a phytoestrogen. I found this interesting:

0005] The important functions of such phytoestrogen is to obstruct the action of enzymes to multiply cancer cells, and to promote division of normal cells so as to prevent breast cancer and prostate cancer (Horn-Ross, P. L. et al., J. Nat. Cancer Inst., 95:1158, 2003; Watanabe, S. et al., Gan To Kagaku Rhoho, 30:902, 2003; Peeters, P. H. et al., Breast Cancer Res. Treat., 77:171, 2003; and U.S. Pat. No. 6,265,448). Also, it has been known that phytoestrogen is helpful for prevention and treatment of osteoporosis, cardiovascular diseases and menopausal symptoms.

http://www.freshpatents.com/Phytoestrog ... 208159.php

CCS

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hair loss=en&sl=ko&u=http://eng.whacheon.co.kr/sub02/sub01.php%3Fmode%3Dview%26code%3D000502%26lv%3D2%26Jname%3DAnti-Acne%26no%3D2123%26SearchField%3D%26SearchText%3D&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=9&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dpolyol-soluble%2Blicorice%2Bextract%2BP-U%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

That is the only place I can find that sells it. You can get 100g. I don't read Korean though. I wonder how much it is to call them.

Guys, I don't think essential oil or just any oil is the same as this stuff. I'm sure some the compounds overlap, but if you want what they used in the study, this is it. It also is very effective against Rossacea.

I'll ask my vietnamese roommate to let me call them on his computer, for free.

there it is

docj077

Reaction score
michael barry said:
CCS,

The only people that need to worry about angiogenesis inhibition are those with any type of organ ischemia. Especially, the heart. I could foresee far worse outcomes when it comes to the skin for those who focus on upregulating angiogenesis as a hair loss treatment.