Study: Licorice, peppermint DECREASE sebum secretion

CCS

Reaction score
MB,

thanks so much for suggesting these ideas. Now I'm really interested in doing my own topical experiments. this is so much cheaper spironolactone or other commercial stuff, smells good, has anti-oxidant effects. You got my idea exactly: oral finasteride, topical kick. But I really think topically inhibiting 5ar1 will grow more hair than you think.

I'm definitely doing the lavendar then. The licoricice is tempting, but maybe a once a day only thing. And I'll just use the EGCG on my face, not my scalp. I'll also keep the curcumin and apple poly on my scalp. I think peperment is much more masculine and better smelling than lavendar, so I might get some just to cover the smell of the lavendar.

My only question for you is, from those studies, do you think they use water soluble licorice extract, or the essential oil, or just the regular oil? Same question for each of the samples. I'll try to get the full text of the study and post it here.

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
CCS,

What do you think about adding some peppermint oil to a shampoo?

CCS

Reaction score
sounds good. I'd use the licorice in the shampoo, and pepermint as a topical. But licorice topical at bed time. just ideas. Too bad EGCG may inhibit angiosynthesis of the scalp hair. I wish I knew if it just did that kind, or only cancer kind. Doctor or Bryan once answered that, but I forgot their conclusion. Need another topical AR inhibitor. Lots of 5ar inhibitors though. Oh, yeah, that would be the licorice again.

CCS

Reaction score
a polyol is an alcohol with at least 3 OH groups. So glycerol or propylene glycol. These can dissolve more fat soluble stuff than water can, but they are water soluble. So it is hard to know which extract they got. Probably there is a reason they picked polyol instead of water or ethanol. For the trouble it would cause them, I'd guess these extracts are oils.

Is peppermint oil and peppermint essential oil the same thing?

CCS

Reaction score
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... l%26sa%3DN

in that invention, 0.1% seems to be the best dose.

CCS

Reaction score
post where to buy this stuff.

and PEG80 from puritan's pride will emulsify the oil in water. It also has biotin and niacin, and unclogs poors for better penetration. I got 3 bottles for $10 I think. Those will easily last forever.

CCS

Reaction score
I think you should put half a milliliter of of licorice extract into a 200mL bottle of shampoo. That might be a bit strong, or weak. not sure if you should up the strength 1 drop each time. 1mL = 20 drops. Use a few milliliters of PEG-80 to dissolve it. I'd add the lavendar to a topical, with maybe some peppermint to mask the feminine smell. Again, use PEG-80 to help dissolve it.

I'd put 5 drops of lavendar, 2 drops of peppermint, half a gram of white curcumin, and half a gram of apple poly into a 60mL topical with 2mL PEG80, 35 water, 15 ethanol, 6, PG.

Thoughts?

CCS

Reaction score

CCS

Reaction score
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... n%26sa%3DG

That is the only place I can find that sells it. You can get 100g. I don't read Korean though. I wonder how much it is to call them.

Guys, I don't think essential oil or just any oil is the same as this stuff. I'm sure some the compounds overlap, but if you want what they used in the study, this is it. It also is very effective against Rossacea.

I'll ask my vietnamese roommate to let me call them on his computer, for free.

CCS

Reaction score
MB, where did you get your lavendar at?

michael barry

Reaction score
NOW personal care was the little company that makes the lavendar/tea tree oil I have.

I think that was the same little group that made the peppermint oil I bought, but I no longer have that bottle.

I try to make sure these are the "real" essential oils and not mere blends etc....

CCS.................I wonder, based on the women's hirsutism study, if Spearmint might be an alpha five inhibitor and not screw with receptor sites? Men that drank Peppermint tea complain of no libido, but Ive not found similar complaints about spearmint tea, yet it still helped women with hirsutism. Could it be that these two variation of common weeds yeild the anti-androgenic power to stop baldness from occuring? Almost too good to be true.

Licorice would seemingly be almost an all-powerful topical anti-androgen against baldness based on the acne study that you posted. Very good stuff indeed.

Bryler

Reaction score
...and another....they're pretty convinced...

http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/article/200107/000020010701A0212701.php

I got a hold of the full article for your original study Michael, but it's in Japanese. I could upload it and post it if someone knows Japanese :) . I would google-translate it but I have to scan it in...so unless someone has an OCR program capable of Japanese conversion...we might be out of luck. If you know of any resources let me know and I'll scan it in...

CCS

Reaction score
Bryler said:

good find. I'd pay more for licorice than I would for RU, but I bet the licorice is cheaper. I'm going to get an international calling card and call the company to find the price of 100g and 500g. I bet it is $1 per gram and probably $100 at least.

Please put that study into here, paragraph by paragraph, and post the results here:
http://www.google.com/language_tools?hair loss=en

CCS

Reaction score
MB, I'm afraid to use peppermint. I guess I should try it if you say it helped your scalp hair. But I'm worried because I think it inhibited your beard hair too well. I don't expect an anti-androgen to dramatically reduce body hair. 40% yes, but more than 70% would suggest it has negative growth factors, like the opposite of minoxidil. That would be bad for scalp hair. I'd just rather use topical white curcumin and lavendar for my topical, and licorice for my shampoo. Maybe licorice topical at night too.

I want to put just half a gram of licorice in all of my shampoos, including the proven ones, so I'm always getting it.

CCS

Reaction score
blaze said:
Would the 'Essential Oil Licorice' be alright to use?

maybe. the study used propylene glycol extract of licorice. So it probably has a mix of water soluble and some fat soluble extracts. I'm sure some essential oils might be in the extract, but we don't know if they are responsible for the effects. So you might get good effects from the essential oils if some of the extract compounds overlap, but there is a good chance it won't do anything except smell a lot stronger than the chinese stuff I want to buy.

Bryler

Reaction score
Here ya go....

It is very particularly advantageous to start from an aqueous extract that can be obtained under the name Aqua Licorice Extract P-U from Maruzen, which is an aqueous mixture (approx. 10% by weight water) of radix glycyrrhizae inflatae (approx. 5% by weight, proportion of licochalcone A in the extract approx. 22%, PPG-6-decyltetradeceth-30 (approx. 25% by weight) and butylene glycol (approx. 60% by weight).

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20050037042.html

You can find the citation if you scroll down the page a bunch...now you know ;)

Bryler

Reaction score
and...

"Polyol Soluble Licorice Extract P-U" or "Aqua Licorice Extract P-U" from Maruzen Pharmaceuticals. The first-mentioned extract is an alcoholic extract which is in powder form. "Aqua Licorice Extract P-U" also comprises additional ethoxylated and/or propoxylated raw materials. In this connection, it is advantageous if these ethoxylated and/or propoxylated raw materials, which are added to the extracts by the manufacturer for various reasons, are not present in the preparation because their possible sensitizing potential can then not arise. In particular, the absence of PPG-6 (Nikkol PEN) is of great advantage. It is very particularly advantageous to start from an alcoholic extract, as can be obtained under the name Polyol Soluble Licorice Extract PU (INCI name Glycyrrhiza Inflata) from Maruzen. The extract of Radix Glycrrhizae inflatae comprises a content of about 25% licochalcone A. It is thus possible to prepare cosmetic or dermatological preparations for body- and hair cleansing which have exceptional mildness. Beyond these effects, it was surprisingly found that the preparations according to the invention can be used advantageously for the treatment and prophylaxis of post-inflammatory skin conditions triggered by surfactant damage to the skin. Furthermore, these formulations are suitable for the treatment of skin reddening, in particular rosacea. It is preferred if the content of licochalcone A or extract of Radix Glycrrhizae inflatae is at least 0.0001% by weight, particularly preferably 0.0005% by weight, very particularly preferably 0.001% by weight, very extraordinarily preferably 0.01% by weight, very extraordinarily particularly preferably 0.05% by weight and at most 10% by weight, particularly preferably 5% by weight, very particularly preferably up to 2% by weight, very extraordinarily particularly preferably 0.1% by weight, in each case based on the total weight of the preparation.

michael barry

Reaction score
CCS,

Peppermint oil is in the following hairloss products:

Paul Mitchell LemonSage "Thickening" Shampoo
Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shampoo
American Crew Thickening (as mentha piperta--or
peppermint's latin name)
Tricomin Shampoo
Tricomin Conditioner
HairCycle Shampoo (Dr. John Cole's hairloss
shampoo, he's a hair transplant-surgeon)
Jason's Shampoo line has peppermint oil
Alpecin SHampoo has "menthol" which can be
synthetic.
I think Nioxin has peppermint or spearmint in it, but dont remember after all these years.

I really doubt there would be any negative effect on hair that would have eluded all the researchers formultaing those concoctions. But whatever.................