Study: Licorice, peppermint DECREASE sebum secretion

Prevent99

Reaction score
Have you seen this from http://www.drugs.com?

Clinical data

A 10% glycyrrhizin shampoo prevented sebum secretion for 1 week compared with citric acid shampoo, which delayed oil accumulation by 1 day.

Is it reasonable to believe that sebum secretion can be affected so dramatically by DHT inhibition or anti-androgen properties? This seems to good to be true. Can anyone find this study?

MB - Can you please share with us your reasoning for your recent post against peppermint oil?

CCS

Reaction score
I'm skeptical too.

Prevent99

Reaction score
Does anyone have a copy of the full report? If not, does anyone know how I can obtain a copy of this report?

michael barry

Reaction score
Prevent.

Ive wondered if peppermint oil might actually slow keratinocyte cell division or actually harm hair or slow cell division in one of its component parts. Alpecin's reserch showed that caffeine alone counteracted the slowing of hair growth of testosterone in their experiments, but alpecin (which contains alot of menthol to slow the metabolization of caffeine) seemed to see keratinocyte activity remain halfway between the control group and the testosterone group according to their own research.

I do know one thing, it so drammatically inhibited hairgrowth on one side of my chin, it made me wonder if what Bryan suggested (that there may be something in peppermint that is hard on hair) could be right. It definitely is what I recommend for men whose beards are too thick or grow to fast and want to lessen the five o'clock shadow. I think it would be a great anti-hirsutism treatment that would be very cheap.

There are a few other potential topical anti-androgens (green tea extract which Im putting on my face right now----and seem to already be getting a positive result from to be honest...........we will see), clove, arnica, rose hips, topical curcumoids, licorice. I feel optimistic that one of these is going to be a cheap winning anti-androgen that we can make very cheaply at home. As Ive said before, I doubt any of us is going to find a hypertrichotic that can outdo prox-n or minoxidil as growth stimulants are likely to be complex things, but we might be able to trip up on a natural anti-androgen that downregulates or blocks the human androgen receptor (or even inhibit alpha five reducase----licorice does both) that can be soluble with a penetrating agent (alcohol) and water so we can make it ourselves.

I hope green tea extract is it. Its soluble with water and alcohol, its cheap and easily obtainable. I bought mine from Nature's Way in capsules, and I think Bryan mentioned he bought his from Beyond-a-century.com and its guarnanteed to have 45 percent or so ECGC content. The side of my face Ive been spraying the green tea extract/alcohol/water mix sure is dry vs. the other side...................and the whiskers do seem be lagging a tad behind the growth of the whiskers on the other side. But its very early yet. Gimme a month and I ought to be able to tell you what I see on close inspection. Based on the flank organ results Liang and Lao had, if we can get ECGC to the correct area and it not be metabolized too quickly, it ought to be a very effective antiandrogen. Im crossing my fingers.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
As I write this I just put Peppermint/Lavender mix on my head and feel so good!!

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
squeegee said:
As I write this I just put Peppermint/Lavender mix on my head and feel so good!!

are you using lavendor as carrier oil? how are proportions are you mixing these? thanks!

CCS

Reaction score
goata007 said:
squeegee said:

are you using lavendor as carrier oil? how are proportions are you mixing these? thanks!

oil on your head is nasty. I think he uses alcohol as the carier. The lavendar essential oil is one of the active growth stimulants.

I'll definitely use peppermint on my body hair and neck hair.

michael barry

Reaction score
Hair Today Gone Tommorow wrote:
do you think its a coincidence that dr. cole uses peppermint oil and licorice in his haircycle shampoo?

Im pretty sure Cole included those ingredients based on the Japanese study indicating those two substances inhibited alpha five reductase, reduced sebum, and in licorice's case, inhibited androgenic uptake at the receptor. I suppose he could have put them in there for other reasons (anti-bacterial, anti-oxidant, etc.) reasons, but it doesn't seem likely that would be the case as its a hairloss shampoo.

Cole uses green tea extract in the topical spray and conditioner if I remember correctly...........................

CCS

Reaction score
squeegee said:

Our assumption that Peppermint is good for scalp hair is based on the fact that it inhibits 5ar, and inhibits body hair growth. Body hair responds opposite to androgens compared to scalp hair.

But as MB pointed out, it very strongly inhibited beard hair. So unless licorice is stronger, like it should be, it is possible that peppermint inhibits all hair growth too. Minoxidil makes all hair grow, scalp and body. Maybe the peppermint is not only an anti-androgen, but also the opposite of minoxidil. that would make it great for getting rid of body hair. But it might be too early to use it on scalp hair.

However, some people reported using it and said their hair got better. That was only after a month of use though, which is too soon for hair to grow out. So it could have been their imagination.

The peppermint inhibited MB's beard profoundly in just 2 months.

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
just wanna make sure I get this right...the percentange of peppermint oil & water is 50/50? Also is it ok to make a bottle once and keep it in the bathroom so I can use it after shower or do I need to mix it everytime i need it?

peridot

Reaction score
Yikes, unless I misunderstand what you're saying, no, I think they said 1 part to 50 parts.

So, now I think I understand why you're beginning to favor licorice over peppermint. (Sucks cause I just went out 2 days ago & bought a $15 bottle of peppermint oil! Ah well.)

I've seen licorice extract at a local market, but the bottle also contains grain alcohol & water. Does that matter? Can I just add that to my shampoo, or should I add it to more water & spray it directly on my scalp?

Thanks very much!!

Prevent99

Reaction score
Michael Barry,

The study that you posted claims that Licorice has the most potential efficacy as a topical anti androgen and receptor blocker. In light of this why have you elected to test Green Tea and Peppermint before testing the licorice? Are you aware of some negative attributes about licorice?

Prevent99

Reaction score
CCS,

Have you ordered licorice yet? If so, what are your plans for usage? Are you going to test it on body hair?

CCS

Reaction score
Prevent99 said:
CCS,

Have you ordered licorice yet? If so, what are your plans for usage? Are you going to test it on body hair?

yes, 2g per 180mL, and yes.

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
btw, where are you guys buying peppermint oil from? any reliable website that sells Grade-A quality peppermint oil?

michael barry

Reaction score
Prevent,

I already had peppermint and green tea in my possession when I seen that article. I thought I'd go ahead and test them first........................

Prevent99

Reaction score
Michael Barry,

Is there any reason to believe that Green Tea or licorice do not exhibit the same short comings as peppermint oil (ie. slow down cell division)?

Prevent99

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to obtain a full copy of this report? It would be great to understand the testing process used and and what the actual results were!

Yuber

Reaction score
The licorice specie G. Inflata's main isoprenoid-substituted flavonoid is licochalcone A

Licochalcone A is claimed to reduce Bcl-2 protein expression.

Bcl-2 protein is:A gene that encodes an integral outer mitochondrial membrane protein that blocks the apoptotic death of some cells such as lymphocytes. Constitutive expression of BCL2, such as in the case of translocation of BCL2 to Ig heavy chain locus, is thought to be the cause of follicular lymphoma. Two transcript variants, produced by alternate splicing, differ in their C-terminal ends.
The Bcl-2 gene has been implicated in a number of cancers, including melanoma, breast, prostate, and lung carcinomas, as well as schizophrenia and autoimmunity. It is also thought to be involved in resistance to conventional cancer treatment. This supports a role for decreased apoptosis in the pathogenesis of cancer.

I found a post where someone claimed that frontal hairs from the balding scalp are struggling for their lives and have upregulated Bcl-2 about 50% in an attempt to do so. This upregulation might account for some or all of the lower growth cycles we see in these follicles. It also means that pathways to keep them alive via Bcl-2 are likely to keep more follicles alive but dormant - or at the very least limit the effectiveness of antiinflammatory treatments which happen to have this effect on Bcl-2.

Can anyone clarify if Bcl-2 has anything to do with wheter hairs grow or not?

Copied from: http://www.groupsrv.com/science/about37567.html
In androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) terminal hair follicles undergo
transformation to vellus hair type with miniaturisation of the dermal
papilla (DP). Pathogenetic mechanisms in Androgenetic Alopecia are not yet fully
understood, however, it is generally agreed that androgens, especially 5
-dihydrotestosterone (5 -DHT), inhibit hair follicle activity with
shortening of the anagen and early induction of the catagen phase. In
the present study we investigated the ability of potent androgens, i.e.
testosterone (T) and 5 -DHT to induce apoptosis in the
mesenchyme-derived DP, possibly leading to early catagen induction in
Androgenetic Alopecia. It is well known, that the DP is protected against apoptosis under
physiological conditions, possibly due to overexpression of the
anti-apoptotic protein bcl-2. Thus, we investigated the influence of
testosterone and 5 -DHT on proliferation, apoptotic and necrotic cell
death in cultured human scalp dermal papilla cells (DPC). The influence
of T and 5 -DHT at 10 -7 M to 10 -5 M on the proliferative activity of
DPC after 24h and 48h was evaluated by MTT assay. Induction of apoptosis
by T and 5 -DHT at 10 -5 M to 10 -7 M after 4 h, 24 h and 48 h was
measured by NA fragmentation using a cell death detection ELISA plus .
Necrosis of 5 -DHT and T on DPC was measured by lactate dehydrogenase
activity. Furthermore, the expression of bcl-2 resp. bax at the mRNA and
protein level was detected in T/5 -DHT-treated DPC by reverse
transcription polymerase chain reaction and confirmed by Western blot. T
and 5 -DHT induced apoptosis in DPC in a dose-dependent and time-related
manner, with a necrotic effect induced by T at 10 -5 M. In addition, T
and 5 -DHT inhibited proliferation of DPC at 10 -5 M. Interestingly, the
decrease of bcl-2 protein expression in T and 5 -DHT treated cells
correlated with the increase of the bax protein level. The present study
provides a new interesting approach in understanding possible
pathomechanism in androgenetic alopecia."