Study: Licorice, peppermint DECREASE sebum secretion

michael barry

Reaction score
I hope youre right about that Doctor. :)

Im applying topical green tea extract to one side of my face now, and have been for a a few days. I hope that it slows beard hair growth. Im still looking for that "winner" anti-androgenic topical that we can all use very cheaply and make at home................ :agree:

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
michael barry said:
Im still looking for that "winner" anti-androgenic topical that we can all use very cheaply and make at home................ :agree:

I'm kinda puzzled...didn't you say that peppermint worked very well? Also, I searched for it peppermint oil and came across many links that sell peppermint oil for hair massage (scalp)...so it should be good for scalp hair too.

CCS

Reaction score
goata007 said:
michael barry said:
Im still looking for that "winner" anti-androgenic topical that we can all use very cheaply and make at home................ :agree:

I'm kinda puzzled...didn't you say that peppermint worked very well? Also, I searched for it peppermint oil and came across many links that sell peppermint oil for hair massage (scalp)...so it should be good for scalp hair too.

yeah, it is good, but not perfect. Got to look for better stuff always. Good thing about oils is they penetrate very well, and they are already small molecules instead of chunks. But peppermint is not an estrogen mimic or an AR blocker, and not even the most potent 5ar inhibitor. So good for now, but we need to keep searching.

Jacobo

Established Member
Reaction score
michael barry said:
I hope youre right about that Doctor. :)

Im applying topical green tea extract to one side of my face now, and have been for a a few days. I hope that it slows beard hair growth. Im still looking for that "winner" anti-androgenic topical that we can all use very cheaply and make at home................ :agree:

Michael, but you have the winner already with the peppermint, don't you? You explained that it slowed down beard growth a big deal, when applied topically...what else we need? I am going to use it for my beard, I hope to be able to shave myself twice a week.

I have just a basic working knowledge of all this hairloss "theory". So sorry if I make a big "conceptual" mistake. But don't you think that peppermit is working as a AR blocker, binding to Testosterone, and that is why you get that massive reduction on beard growth?. You are taking Finasteride, which reduce the conversion T to DHT a 80% roughly. Doesn't it sound like that noticiable effect has more to do with testosterone binding rather than a small reduction on the DHT conversion?

So, to anybody taking internals, peppermint could be the perfect "antiandrogenic" adition to a regimine?

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Any feedbacks so far with people using Peppermint/ Purified water mix??? Still looking to buy some Licorice too...

licorice.jpg

peridot

Reaction score
Michael (or anyone!): apologies if you've already answered these Qs and I just missed the responses due to the length of the thread. But:

1) You mention that a # of shampoos include peppermint oil. Do you feel that any of them would be just as effective as your 1:50 solution?

2) I wash my hair every other day, not daily. Could I spray your solution on a dry scalp? (I do spray Tricomin daily, so I could consider adding it to that bottle like someone else mentioned doing.)

3) What does it do to the texture of your hair? I quit using emu oil b/c it made my hair so greasy. And I quit using Riquette's cayenne-vodka solution b/c it made my hair stiff & weird.

Thanks so much!!
(FWIW, my current regimen is Rogaine 5% foam and spironolactone 150 mg (I'm female), none of which has stopped my shed but pictures nonetheless show that my scalp looks about the same as it did a few months ago. So I'm crossing my fingers that something's happening.)

IBM

Reaction score
squeegee, those candies must be awesome... Anyone knows if those candies are effective to lower free testosterone?

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
They are Fat free so far it is a good start! :)

IBM

Reaction score
I read a study that licorice root may decrease T levels by 40%... Anyone knows where i can find those licorice roots so i could eat all day while i work...

IBM

Reaction score
A study carried out in Iran proved that the administration of 1,3 gr. of dry extract of licorice during ten uninterrupted days diminished testosterone and inhibited sexual desire. Equally a study carried out in Finland proved that the consumption of licorice was the reason of premature childbirths.

Prevent99

Reaction score
If the study MB posted claims that Licorice was the best performing oil, why is peppermint oil so highly discussed in this thread? MB or Bryan, would you recommend purchasing a shampoo with Glycyrrhiza in the ingredients? This is the active ingredient in Licorice and there are many shampoo's available with this ingredient. Just google "Glycyrrhiza & shampoo" and you will find many alteratives. Like this for example: http://www.lamasbeauty.com/chinese.html

MB - I read your recent post pertaining to your concern over using peppermint oil on your scalp. Based on your previous advice I have been using a peppermint based shampoo. Can you please elaborate on why you are now concerned about the peppermint efficacy?

CCS

Reaction score
IBM said:
A study carried out in Iran proved that the administration of 1,3 gr. of dry extract of licorice during ten uninterrupted days diminished testosterone and inhibited sexual desire. Equally a study carried out in Finland proved that the consumption of licorice was the reason of premature childbirths.

you're not supposed to eat it, You are supposed to put it on your head, you spironolactone eater.

CCS

Reaction score
Prevent99 said:
If the study MB posted claims that Licorice was the best performing oil, why is peppermint oil so highly discussed in this thread? MB or Bryan, would you recommend purchasing a shampoo with Glycyrrhiza in the ingredients? This is the active ingredient in Licorice and there are many shampoo's available with this ingredient. Just google "Glycyrrhiza & shampoo" and you will find many alteratives. Like this for example: http://www.lamasbeauty.com/chinese.html

MB - I read your recent post pertaining to your concern over using peppermint oil on your scalp. Based on your previous advice I have been using a peppermint based shampoo. Can you please elaborate on why you are now concerned about the peppermint efficacy?

peppermint is available in a pure form that we can make into topicals. yes, that licorice shampoo is very good. I might buy some soon. Please post more shampoos like this and try to guess which one has the most licorice in it. very very good.

make sure it is the chinese licorice, inflata.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Good find! I want that shampoo and conditioner! http://www.lamasbeauty.com/chinese.html
Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine (Coconut), PPG-2 Hydroxyethyl Coco/Isostearamide, Lamas Proprietary Chinese Herb Extract Blend (Codonopsis Tangshen Root Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Paeonia Albiflora Root Extract, Polygonum Multiflorum Extract, Prunus Persica (Peach) Kernel Extract), Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Oat Protein, Tilia Cordata Flower Extract, Nasturtium Officinale Extract, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Acer Saccharum (Sugar Maple) Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Mentha Arvensis Oil, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Quillaja Saponaria Bark Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract, Sodium PCA, Tocophersolan, Biotin, Panthenol (Vitamin B), Polyquaternium-7, Glycerin, Citric Acid, Butylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Caramel.

CCS

Reaction score
looks good, but I don't know if Glabra is the same as Inflata

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I had a friend who used to use hand moisturizer as his styling gel... What if we used this product and left it in the hair as topical?

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:ivE ... cd=5&gl=us

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
I know we can buy some here in Bulk powder : http://www.herbalextractsplus.com/licorice.cfm

What it makes Inflata species so different of others? licochalcone-A or the percentage of Glycyrrhizic Acid in it? more soluble in water?? They choses that species for that trial??

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
New Balm with Glycyrrhiza inflata Batalin in it! Looks like a copy of Bioskinclear except for couple ingredients.

GLYCOBALM is a sweet natural remedy for the treatment of mild and moderate acne breakouts. With the additive and synergistic benefits of Helix Aspersa Müller Glycoconjugates (adaptogen); Licorice Root Extract; Alpine Willow herb extract (Epilobium Fleischeri); essential oils from the roots of Coleus Forskohlii and Kaempferia Galanga; Inca Inchi Oil the richest in Omega-3 fatty acids, plus an extract from the fruit of black pepper.

http://www.biobeautybalm.com/glycobalm/

CCS

Reaction score
squeegee said:
I know we can buy some here in Bulk powder : http://www.herbalextractsplus.com/licorice.cfm

What it makes Inflata species so different of others? licochalcone-A or the percentage of Glycyrrhizic Acid in it? more soluble in water?? They choses that species for that trial??

Plants have lots of different chemicals in them. Some chemicals are fat soluble, some are water soluble, and some are more soluble in alcohol. Some chemicals grow your hair, some don't, some might even hurt it.

It is entirely possible that other licorice species will work. But we just don't know if the important chemicals are shared by both. That study used Inflata. If we get inflata, we know we have the good stuff. If we don't get inflata, then we have to test it on our beards and find out if it is any good.

I'd like to get an online plant encyclopedia with pictures of the different licorice species, and descriptions of the tastes and smell, like red lic vs black lic. If the plants look similar, and smell similar, then it is a good bet that extracts will both work. Now finding that online description is something we can probably do.