Stemson is going to use minipigs in the next stage of their hair cloning research

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wont this be just as crazy expensive as what would have been Tsujis cure?
We don't know. It won't be dirt cheap but I think there is a good chance that it won't be crazy expensive either.

It will be costly for Stemson in the beginning for sure but they could subsidize the treatment for us in order to keep the price reasonable and not to give a bad fame to their product. Then once the economies of scale kick in they could take out the subsidizes without increasing the price to avoid stalling growth.

Waiting lines will be another problem, but it will all depend on how well funded they get. If they have enough $$$ in the bank from investors they can prioritize growth over profit in the short and mid term.

So it will depend on how well they get funded and what their growth strategy will be.

What makes me a little optimistic is that they already have a huge strategic investor and partner called Allergan. Research about that company, they have deep pockets and enough know how about commercially deploying cosmetic products to the big masses.

Last edited:

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would love to hear your (@werefckd) opinion on why you think Stemson will be effective.

I think, even, if it is working, it won't give you THE perfect hair (you had) because its not natural hair, more-over it's bioengineered.

Also, in vitro, androgens will just rip off those follicles if your androgen receptors (in general) are just too sensitive to them. Because of that the only REAL approach to male pattern baldness is to multiplicate the androgen insensitive hairs from the back, but we all now that this way it won't work.

Mh

Last edited:

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would love to hear your (@werefckd) opinion on why you think Stemson will be effective.

I think, even, if it is working, it won't give you THE perfect hair (you had) because its not natural hair, more-over it's bioengineered.

Also, in vitro, androgens will just rip off those follicles if your androgen receptors (in general) are just too sensitive to them. Because of that the only REAL approach to male pattern baldness is to multiplicate the androgen insensitive hairs from the back, but we all now that this way it won't work.

Mh
You have literally 0 insight into any of the claims you made here.

1. The hair could (and should) be practically identical to your native hair, as it's being bioengineered from the cells that would create your native hair. If successful, I'd be more concerned about how long they would last relative to native hair rather then the texture, which will be good or this product will be a bust anyways.

2. Again, no basis for this claims. For all we know their process might start the follicles state to 0 as if you were a child, giving you decades or years of insensitivity. Again, we simply don't have any data to make these types of guesses.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
I always see this Doctor saying that. That everything is just fake, but hype.
Could it be because the good Dr has a direct competitor to this product in his own pipeline? He has some weird cellular regenerative hair process from mole cells in the works promising unlimited donor hair.

It's clearly not fake though. They have Allergan as a strategic partner and a pretty robust company profile, and the initial science is published here;

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Because he’s advocating wigs in a cutting edge forum. Because he’s gloomy and depressing. And that isn’t welcome.
I was just saying the truth.
Even if stemson is going to figure out hair multiplication, we will, even with a big MAYBE, have access to it in 10-15years+. 20 years is more realistic.
I just don't want that people get dissapointed or that their expectations aren't meeting with reality, that's it.

Sorry then, for spreading a bad atmosphere around here.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was just saying the truth.
Even if stemson is going to figure out hair multiplication, we will, even with a big MAYBE, have access to it in 10-15years+. 20 years is more realistic.
I just don't want that people get dissapointed or that their expectations aren't meeting with reality, that's it.

Sorry then, for spreading a bad atmosphere around here.
Their timeline is 5-7 years, so you're just adding your own opinion into it.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
where did you get the information from? I appreciate your factual and rational approach
The interview follicle thought did with them last year (I believe its on that treatment chart they update as well). They said their target to be commercially available was 2025-2027.

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The interview follicle thought did with them last year (I believe its on that treatment chart they update as well). They said their target to be commercially available was 2025-2027.
Do you have a source for that? I don't remember such an interview nor am I able to find one. But I do remember an interview Dr. Terskikh did with Dr. Wolf where his ballpark estimate was a bit longer than 3-4 years, which would more or less line up with 2025-2027. I wonder if he has a good knowledge about which regulatory hurdles would apply to his product.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you have a source for that? I don't remember such an interview nor am I able to find one. But I do remember an interview Dr. Terskikh did with Dr. Wolf where his ballpark estimate was a bit longer than 3-4 years, which would more or less line up with 2025-2027. I wonder if he has a good knowledge about which regulatory hurdles would apply to his product.
You'll have to dig through the site for the interview but here is the chart; https://twitter.com/FollicleThought/header_photo

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting. I think that sounds realistic. What do you think what will the price of this treatment be? I heard in a report that it should be comparable to a normal hair transplant
I don't think anyone really knows but Dr. Terskikh did say in an interview that he wanted to make it available at a "reasonable cost" but I'm doubtful about that considering all the manual labor involved unless they find a way to automate most if not all of it. I'd personally want around 10k grafts and expect/am preparing to have to pay around $200k.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting. I think that sounds realistic. What do you think what will the price of this treatment be? I heard in a report that it should be comparable to a normal hair transplant
I'd assume it would start off a bit more expensive but yeah I think easily over 10k if a surgeon has to complete it. Then you'd also be looking at more expensive for the skill of the surgeon. You might have unlimited follicles but if they are put in looking shitty then it's really not a cure, is it.

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd assume it would start off a bit more expensive but yeah I think easily over 10k if a surgeon has to complete it. Then you'd also be looking at more expensive for the skill of the surgeon. You might have unlimited follicles but if they are put in looking shitty then it's really not a cure, is it.
I highly doubt they'd be even close to 10k as that's already way cheaper than a decent transplant now. Also having horribly placed/oriented hairs isn't desirable but it's better than not having hair, and you can just buzz that down and rock the buzzed look.

Last edited:

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
To better understand stemsons approach...:

The newly lab-created follicles... are they identical to the follicles you already have? Or are they completely new, as they would be when you were born!?

I suggest the answer is that they are identical to the follicles you already have, because they are made from YOUR blood.

Also: does this mean stemsons therapy could give you a full coverage + natural density!?

Mh

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Mh
With Stemson it will be hit or miss.

If they fail to produce a natural looking human hair in their studies and trails, they won't even bother to release the product.

OTOH, if the procedure works as planned, it will be able to cover all our scalp with FULL density, with any hairline we want (even lower than our original). Basically the holy grail.

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
it is a webinar for investors and potential investors. To be a potential investor at fortunis Capital, you need 250k net worth and an annual salary of 100k. Introduce yourself as a potential investor who heard about it
Cool the bar is low, we should start throwing some and help the cause

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
With Stemson it will be hit or miss.

If they fail to produce a natural looking human hair in their studies and trails, they won't even bother to release the product.

OTOH, if the procedure works as planned, it will be able to cover all our scalp with FULL density, with any hairline we want (even lower than our original). Basically the holy grail.
In vitro it sounds like a magic restoration procedure. I can't seem to find any problem lol. Hope it is like that! Do we have infos when they want to continue/start the preclinical trials?

Hope I will be able to "cure" my hairloss till then with medication :eek:

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In vitro it sounds like a magic restoration procedure. I can't seem to find any problem lol. Hope it is like that! Do we have infos when they want to continue/start the preclinical trials?

Hope I will be able to "cure" my hairloss till then with medication :eek:
It's not in vitro. They have developed their tech on mice with human skin - edit: human cells (DP cells).

They may have started pre clinical studies with the minipigs already. If not, they will start soon.

My guess is best case scenario they finish the studies with minipigs in the second half of 2022 and start planing the clinical trials from there.

Last edited:

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not in vitro. They have developed their tech on mice with human skin.

They may have started pre clinical studies with the minipigs already. If not, they will start soon.

My guess is best case scenario they finish the studies with minipigs in the second half of 2022 and start planing the clinical trials from there.
Science was able to clone hair on mice back then in the 90s, but there were always problems. Hope this time it will be succesfull! :fingers_crossed:

Thanks! :)