Stemson is going to use minipigs in the next stage of their hair cloning research

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
The problem is that for a biotech company, $ 22.5M raised (Stemsons number) means you are severely underfunded.

I’ve sad it before, It took BILLIONS before, for instance, Moderna was able to bring something to the market.

Let’s face it, by the energy and “optimism” Geoff is showing during his last presentations, Stemson is probably taking a beating in the pigs research and their hairs probably currently look like pubes at best. The size of the problem they are trying to solve is gigantic and they needed a team at least 5-10 bigger to make it for a fair game.
They are not severely underfunded, you have legitimately no idea what you are talking about. The money you are talking about comes as companies get close to and enter human trials. This is a preclinical biotech company that is mostly working with cell cultures and in small labs.

Goddamn the collective brain power here is insanely low. They raised a series A and were given the amount of money they needed to complete this part of their program, and as they proceed to human trials they will raise a subsequent series B to get the funding they need for humans. That's how venture capital works.

Last edited:

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
100% agree, their aproach failed
Too early to say that and I don’t think their approach will fail, but it’s starting to bother me a lot that the CEO doesn’t at least confirm if the hairs they are producing are getting better after each iteration (or not)

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
They are not severely underfunded, you have legitimately no idea what you are talking about. The money you are talking about comes as companies get close to and enter human trials. This is a preclinical biotech company that is mostly working with cell cultures and in small labs.

Goddamn the collective brain power here is insanely low. They raised a series A and were given the amount of money they needed to complete this part of their program, and as they proceed to human trials they will raise a subsequent series B to get the funding they need for humans. That's how venture capital works.
22.5M is almost nothing

froggy7

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Too early to say that and I don’t think their approach will fail, but it’s starting to bother me a lot that the CEO doesn’t at least confirm if the hairs they are producing are getting better after each iteration (or not)
i think the hairs are simply sh*t quality

Super Metroid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No news is usually bad news, so in that sense I understand the negativity here.

froggy7

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No news is usually bad news, so in that sense I understand the negativity here.
Sumen left company, Hamilton said in the last interview "a couple of years preclinical work" - simply their technology doesnt work well on pigs and probably will not work, Stemson is another aderans, intercytex etc

froggy7

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So the entirety of my reply just flew right over your head, nice.
This is a good way to do business - grow hair on mice, collect millions from investors, then do a few years of pig testing and close the company, then repeat : D

Super Metroid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sumen left company, Hamilton said in the last interview "a couple of years preclinical work" - simply their technology doesnt work well on pigs and probably will not work, Stemson is another aderans, intercytex etc
Hey froggy7, are you optimistic or negative about Stemson's chances to make it work? I just can't figure out, maybe you can clarify. Thanks!

froggy7

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
my opinion is worth nothing, I'm just a regular internet dude
but if someone has been following the topic of hair cloning for years, in my opinion everything indicates that Stemson has problems, human trials were supposed to be in 2021, it's 2022 and Hamilton talks about several years of trying on pigs, imo he only makes a good face for a bad game , of course I would like them to succeed, but on the other hand their solution will cost a fortune, imo it is the same price as Tsuji, I hope that dnovo will do it cheaper and faster than Stemson, they do not use ipsc cells .. ...

surfer9

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why would that youtube channel release these Stemson videos now...hyping it up...but the tests on pigs failed and they only recruited students...

Kagaho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Its kind of weird they agreed to do that interview without having anything meaningful to update.

While its far from proven at this point, if dNovo can effectively mass produce inductive DP cells and the other HF stem cells without having to go the pluripotent stage, its game over for Stemson.

The complexity and associated costs of their product will be unable to compete with a quicker, scalable solution like the one dNovo is developing.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Its kind of weird they agreed to do that interview without having anything meaningful to update.

While its far from proven at this point, if dNovo can effectively mass produce inductive DP cells and the other HF stem cells without having to go the pluripotent stage, its game over for Stemson.

The complexity and associated costs of their product will be unable to compete with a quicker, scalable solution like the one dNovo is developing.
I don't think it was nothing, he laid out the timeline and where they are at with the technology pretty clearly. They're looking at 2-3 years until human trials and a few years for the trials themselves. He also laid out pretty clear where they are at and what their initial product will look like, in that it will be done by existing hair transplant surgeons and because of the high graft count available will likely need robots. I think the purpose of this interview was to begin to develop a name for themselves amongst surgeons, because they will need to partner with reputable clinics to offer this service.

It's true though, dNovo would be an end to the transplanted cloning game. It's a much more robust and scalable process.

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
dNovo was founded in the same year as Stemson and they are way behind. They are moving SLOWER than Stemson. And we all know the bad news start after the mouse stage, which is where they are currently at.

Kagaho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
And we all know the bad news start after the mouse stage, which is where they are currently at.
Well, not really. Stemson moved to pig skin without reliable differentiating/culturing DP cells. Go an read the interview they had with Follicle Thought last year.

What dNovo says its capable of doing is paradigm shifting. Even if its only on mice for now. They have a lot to prove though.

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, not really. Stemson moved to pig skin without reliable differentiating/culturing DP cells. Go an read the interview they had with Follicle Thought last year.

What dNovo says its capable of doing is paradigm shifting. Even if its only on mice for now. They have a lot to prove though.
Dude, dNovo was founded in 2018! Why do you think they are behind Stemson in the stage of their research, funding, company size etc? Because they are just lazy? It’s obvious they are facing their own problems, don’t be naive to fall for press releases marketing again

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
dNovo can never work in scarring alopecia. There will always be a need for something like Stemson.

Kagaho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude, dNovo was founded in 2018! Why do you think they are behind Stemson in the stage of their research, funding, company size etc? Because they are just lazy? It’s obvious they are facing their own problems, don’t be naive to fall for press releases marketing again

You fail to understand this is not about funding or start date at this stage. Other user tried to explain you but your in denial.

Kagaho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
dNovo can never work in scarring alopecia. There will always be a need for something like Stemson.

Highly doubt thats their target market though. Im seeing through Androgenetic Alopecia glasses obviously