Stemson is going to use minipigs in the next stage of their hair cloning research

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, like the occipital hair. Does not seem like that. They make the follicles out of a blood draw, dunno if it is possible to make them have the same gene expression as the occipital hair...

Any ideas!?
I think the product would be useless if it didn't yield almost identical copies of follicles that would be found on the scalp, but I also think that's getting a bit too far ahead of ourselves worrying about the gene expression of follicles that have yet to be proven even work in humans.

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think the product would be useless if it didn't yield almost identical copies of follicles that would be found on the scalp, but I also think that's getting a bit too far ahead of ourselves worrying about the gene expression of follicles that have yet to be proven even work in humans.
Absolutely! Let's hope that Stemson won't turn out as a big flop. I'll pray for them to succeed the coming pig trials lol. And yeah, by then, we should have some better maintenance drugs to keep the 'new' hair you get.

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So to prove to you it wasn't about the money he would have to abandon his lower paying unfinished research at a university lab? I think that's completely backwards imo.
Well he's getting the best of both worlds right now with his research position at the university while getting paid a full salary for being the CSO of a startup.

"and the co-founder Dr Terskikh is a Stanford academic who refused to drop his research position to get rich off this product."
I don't get how he'd be any richer if he did drop his research position as he'd be rich if Stemson succeeds either way.

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
i had hair loss very early (when i was 15) i wonder if that would also cause my stemson hair to fall out immediately ...
Yeah, because of that I am wondering as well, how that will work for AA. It started for me as soon as puberty started, almost 3-4 years ago I noticed it.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well he's getting the best of both worlds right now with his research position at the university while getting paid a full salary for being the CSO of a startup.

"and the co-founder Dr Terskikh is a Stanford academic who refused to drop his research position to get rich off this product."
I don't get how he'd be any richer if he did drop his research position as he'd be rich if Stemson succeeds either way.
My point was that he cares more about the research then financial incentives, otherwise his attention would be 100% geared towards the potential multi-billion dollar company he now owns a large part of.

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nah, they originally planned to start human trials this year. Factor in a 6-9 month covid delay and we're probably looking at early 2022 trials. I'm sure they will announce their clinical intentions when the pig data is finalized.
Wait so the pig trials are not done yet right. I know they have something on the pigs and verified the technology, but have they started the trials? Also, where did they say human trials was gonna start this year, did you factor in the move to UK and all that as well?
Thanks in advance. Sorry havent kept up with the threads recently.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wait so the pig trials are not done yet right. I know they have something on the pigs and verified the technology, but have they started the trials? Also, where did they say human trials was gonna start this year, did you factor in the move to UK and all that as well?
Thanks in advance. Sorry havent kept up with the threads recently.
It seems the pig validation is being done right now. They didn't mention human trials at all in the video other then the fact that they are "rapidly" approaching it.

For the UK, the CEO said they would be considering it over the next 6-12 months, presumably to potentially do the the trials there if their government health agency was more willing to be flexible and grant them certain exceptions that the FDA probably wont be willing to budge on, like fast tracking due to no alternative similar procedures on the market or skipping phase 3 due to the nature of the product.

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain me what stops Stemson now to take 2-3 pigs and test their technology in lab if it works or not? Government stops you to take 5 pigs from farms, edit their genes, put stem cells on their back and see if it will grown human hair with normal hair cycle without any cancer risks?

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can someone explain me what stops Stemson now to take 2-3 pigs and test their technology in lab if it works or not? Government stops you to take 5 pigs from farms, edit their genes, put stem cells on their back and see if it will grown human hair with normal hair cycle without any cancer risks?
Nothing stops them, they're doing this right now.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It's just ridiculous how these companies have to be apologetic about trying to cure male baldness. They start talking about AA and other conditions, while acknowledging that it is not even clear that their technology would protect the immune system from attacking new hairs.
And this is in front of investors who care about $!! I doubt they would have done the same if it was a new procedure for breast implant.

This is part of the reason we only have the "big 3" 20 years later.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's just ridiculous how these companies have to be apologetic about trying to cure male baldness. They start talking about AA and other conditions, while acknowledging that it is not even clear that their technology would protect the immune system from attacking new hairs.
And this is in front of investors who care about $!! I doubt they would have done the same if it was a new procedure for breast implant.

This is part of the reason we only have the "big 3" 20 years later.
I guess the question would be, why does it matter if the immune system attacked these new hairs? They're promising unlimited follicles/hairs. If it's not permanent but bought people 5-10 years at a time, it's still a cure.

I do agree that it is insane that companies have to find a compassionate stance on curing this when half the industry (or more) on earth are built around selling people sh*t they don't need or will openly make them unhealthy/harm them. Then a company wants to cure the most vanity driven condition on earth in both males/females, and it's deemed an unworthy scientific cause?

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I call it vanity. This is the whole point we have been educating people about, it is a condition that causes psychological stress and trauma. This is not a nose job, this is someone who is 20 years old and suddenly starting to look like a 40yo.
I don't think a lot of people would risk their testicles for a nose job.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know if I call it vanity. This is the whole point we have been educating people about, it is a condition that causes psychological stress and trauma. This is not a nose job, this is someone who is 20 years old and suddenly starting to look like a 40yo.
I don't think a lot of people would risk their testicles for a nose job.
I only called in vanity for the reason you just said, it completely changes your appearance and has a huge stigma attached to it when you're in your 20s and even 30s. I think most people who have male pattern baldness or FPB know how taxing it can be mentally.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
So there is a company out there that is trying. And they hooked up with a venture firm who does not specialize in Biotech, after getting some pocket change (in the starup world) from Allegran.

They did not answer any savvy investors' question: why is the hair on your mice better than the hair on the other hundred mice I have seen in the last ten years. It is an amateurish presentation, where the lead scientist is missing.

Downvote me as much as you want, but mark my words, this is not going anywhere. Not in the next 7 years. I shared articles on the subject.

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So there is a company out there that is trying. And they hooked up with a venture firm who does not specialize in Biotech, after getting some pocket change (in the starup world) from Allegran.

They did not answer any savvy investors' question: why is the hair on your mice better than the hair on the other hundred mice I have seen in the last ten years. It is an amateurish presentation, where the lead scientist is missing.

Downvote me as much as you want, but mark my words, this is not going anywhere. Not in the next 7 years. I shared articles on the subject.
Perhaps it doesn't need to be. Virtually none of the things that have been used to grow hair on mice have even gotten to human trials. Can you relink the articles you've shared saying hair cloning won't be a thing in the next decade?

Last edited:

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score

Lol yes they did. The follicle & hair on that mouse isn't a follicle that existed before they created it. They didn't just grow a hair where hair wasn't growing but existed, they created it with stem cells and supported it with a synthetic scaffold. Other then Tsuji last month using a different method, that's literally never been done.

That also wasn't conference presentation highlighting the science, it was an internal investors video to highlight the investment and drum up support.

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol yes they did. The follicle & hair on that mouse isn't a follicle that existed before they created it. They didn't just grow a hair where hair wasn't growing but existed, they created it with stem cells and supported it with a synthetic scaffold. Other then Tsuji last month using a different method, that's literally never been done.

That also wasn't conference presentation highlighting the science, it was an internal investors video to highlight the investment and drum up support.
Didn't Angela Cristiano and KY also grow hair on mice?

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Didn't Angela Cristiano and KY also grow hair on mice?
KY as in the compound? That would have just grown existing follicles. Same with A Cristiano, they took existing follicle cells and supplemented them with growth agents and a 3d printed bridge to grow follicles, but you needed the follicle in the first place. Even Tsuji said he would need to extract a certain amount of follicles to clone them.

Stemson grew hair from pure stem cells, which is why they said they can do this with just blood and not a follicle extraction.

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
KY as in the compound? That would have just grown existing follicles. Same with A Cristiano, they took existing follicle cells and supplemented them with growth agents and a 3d printed bridge to grow follicles, but you needed the follicle in the first place. Even Tsuji said he would need to extract a certain amount of follicles to clone them.

Stemson grew hair from pure stem cells, which is why they said they can do this with just blood and not a follicle extraction.
Ah, that seems even more groundbreaking than I had originally thought, then. I believe in their science but still assumed they were just another company to grow hair on mice.

There's no chance that they're lying about what they did is there? Like they can't just take existing hair cells and legally say they were made through a blood draw and their cell conversion process?

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Didn't Aderans/Intercytex do something similar back then!? I'm confused.