Somebody's Story | 25 Finasteride Results | 7 Mo Treatment (pics)

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Here is my update

I have been on finasteride and minoxidil for many years. Added in perilla about 6 or 7 months ago. Dermarolling also about 7 months ago. Added many of the supplements op takes like lysine and borage oil. Not much regrowth. My inflammation is still there. Probably not gonna repurchase once this stuff runs out. Will continue dermarolling as its just once a week and I already have it.

bond515

My Regimen
Reaction score
How much Perilla do you take per day? I just picked up 250 grams. Somebody, you said you use 5 grams per day, have you ever adjusted this? What is your normal way to consume it? I just blended my first batch and capped them myself. I only managed to get 300 mg in each capsule. I'm going to try out with 4 capsules per day. If I don't see any improvement in inflammation after a month I'll get bigger capsules. Thanks so much Somebody for your help! As a fellow diffuse thinner, I'm hoping to have just half of your results. Just dropped dutasteride after 6 months since I'm fairly young and didn't like how it made me feel, experiencing a shed I am hoping will regrow. Currently on finasteride, MSM, Castor Oil, Biotin, minoxidil, Dermarolling, multivitamin and topical Perilla leaf extract. Thinking I need to add a bit of alcohol to the perilla extract.

bond515

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Somebody! For all of your work. I have a feeling my inflammation might be diet related since I haven't been eating well for awhile. Going to keep up the perilla pills and topical perilla for a bit and see how that goes. Two days in and I don't have much inflammation. I just hope it lasts!

Tom Cruise

My Regimen
Reaction score
what's your opinion on really hot showers causing inflammation on the scalp? I've taken hot showers all my life, so hot my skin was always bright red when I left shower. I've started taking cold / luke warm showers for 2 weeks and already feel my scalp is less greasy, less itchy and it cleared up my dandruff.

so do you think really hot showers can contribute to hairloss?

Last edited:

Mazaza

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Nearly 3 months have passed since my last post here. It went much faster than expected, so fast that I even haven't taken the time to take an appointment with another dermatologist (see my last post), nor to thank you for the support and advice.

So in the end, I actually followed the advice of the doctor: keep using minoxidil for 2 or 3 months then come again for a follow-up visit, and decide then if I want to consider finasteride.

The appointment is in ~10 days and would like to have your advice (Alex and others) on a few points:
  • Given the state of my hair (pictures here), would you even consider finasteride? I am asking because some days I NEARLY manage to convince myself that my hair was always like that (denial?)... On the other hand:
    • I had a few comments about my hairline/thin hair since ~1-1.5 year ago (never happened before that), and I started freaking out ~10 months ago...
    • My father's starting to lose all his hair at 50, his half-brother is balding in his forties, their father is bald, my other grandfather died with a receeded hairline but thick hair, my brother is NW2-3 and using finasteride.
    • With this information and the pictures I would say I am balding and it's not in my head.
  • Is there anything I can do to reduce the possibility of side-effects, except of course having a healthy lifestyle and a clear mind?
  • Regarding dosage: if I start finasteride, I would like to start it gradually. Would something like '0.25 mg every day for one month' and then '0.5 mg every day' make sense? Is there any rason to use the full 1mg, seeing for example Alex's results with 0.5 mg only?
Thanks in advance to the people that will take time to answer any of the above !

Cheers,
Mazaza

PS : I will post update pictures after I go to the dermatologist.

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
what's your opinion on really hot showers causing inflammation on the scalp? I've taken hot showers all my life, so hot my skin was always bright red when I left shower. I've started taking cold / luke warm showers for 2 weeks and already feel my scalp is less greasy, less itchy and it cleared up my dandruff.

There are a lot of stuff that can contribute to more shedding but what people fail to understand is that 99,9% of all hair loss you guys have are your genetically inherited male pattern baldness. Things like hot showers, greasy food etc. is not what decides that you get hair loss or not.

There is no reason not to eat healthy and try to live a life without a lot of stress but other than that, all these small things is not something worth putting a magnifying glass on unless there are only nw1 thick fullheads in your family.

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Nearly 3 months have passed since my last post here. It went much faster than expected, so fast that I even haven't taken the time to take an appointment with another dermatologist (see my last post), nor to thank you for the support and advice.

So in the end, I actually followed the advice of the doctor: keep using minoxidil for 2 or 3 months then come again for a follow-up visit, and decide then if I want to consider finasteride.

The appointment is in ~10 days and would like to have your advice (Alex and others) on a few points:
  • Given the state of my hair (pictures here), would you even consider finasteride? I am asking because some days I NEARLY manage to convince myself that my hair was always like that (denial?)... On the other hand:
    • I had a few comments about my hairline/thin hair since ~1-1.5 year ago (never happened before that), and I started freaking out ~10 months ago...
    • My father's starting to lose all his hair at 50, his half-brother is balding in his forties, their father is bald, my other grandfather died with a receeded hairline but thick hair, my brother is NW2-3 and using finasteride.
    • With this information and the pictures I would say I am balding and it's not in my head.
  • Is there anything I can do to reduce the possibility of side-effects, except of course having a healthy lifestyle and a clear mind?
  • Regarding dosage: if I start finasteride, I would like to start it gradually. Would something like '0.25 mg every day for one month' and then '0.5 mg every day' make sense? Is there any rason to use the full 1mg, seeing for example Alex's results with 0.5 mg only?
Thanks in advance to the people that will take time to answer any of the above !

Cheers,
Mazaza

0.5mg goes a long way. Percentage wise, 1mg does not suppress THAT much more than 0,5 but the lower the dosage, the less risk for side effects. There shouldn't be any reason to be afraid of side effects. Most people do not get them, it's just that the people who gets them make threads and videos about that and the people who do not only makes thread that they get hair regrowth or not, not that they didn't get sides. Besides, if you get sides that last, then stop using finasteride and you should be fine after a few days/a week.

You should go into using finasteride with a clear mind already so you don't be one of those "it has to be finasteride" when you get a tingling feeling in your stomach, balls or start sneezing, get dry eyes or whatever.

Somebody

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

here is no reason not to eat healthy and try to live a life without a lot of stress but other than that, all these small things is not something worth putting a magnifying glass on unless there are only nw1 thick fullheads in your family.
Yep, agree. But those factors can prospone hair loss.

Last edited:

DiffThinner35

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Cheers,
Mazaza

You should definitely start with propecia (lower to higher doses, like you said). Your hair is still ok, but hairloss is visible.
Don't wait too long, because nobody knows how fast hairloss can progress.

You would want to preserve what you have and propecia is your best option.

killme

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is my update

I have been on finasteride and minoxidil for many years. Added in perilla about 6 or 7 months ago. Dermarolling also about 7 months ago. Added many of the supplements op takes like lysine and borage oil. Not much regrowth. My inflammation is still there. Probably not gonna repurchase once this stuff runs out. Will continue dermarolling as its just once a week and I already have it.

but @Somebody said that he dermarolls EVERYDAY

he said he uses 1.5mm, I asked him, why use that long nail when you can use 0.5mm if you aren't pressing a lot? he didnt reply

I have never dermarolled and I saw this pic and im scared:

dermarolling.jpg

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/news/new-research/follicas-new-hair-loss-treatment-might-hurt/

wtf

is it this bloody?

do you take a shower dermarolling? doesn't the water hitting your scalp hurt?

if you dont take a shower, then you leave blood in your scalp? even its not that messy, having small particles of blood doesnt seem like a good idea

infinitepain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well this is the way you definetly should not do it. I use dermaroller for absorption only.... You can check my youtube there are videos on how I dermaroll. Now I'm working on 5 month contract with limited free time, and my posting and other activities will be lot less in next few months.

Why do you use a 1.5mm one then?

Just use 0.5mm, its safer.

infinitepain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It definitely works and 520 needles work best even though that is counter intuitive. I'm getting my entire hairline back right now. It's reversing rapidly.

Do note that I made many posts before about how I stopped and lost my progress but this time progress is much better because I'm doing this twice a day. In the morning I will dermaroll with 192 needle to cover my bases but I will only dermaroll my hairline and crown area lightly 5 times in perpendicular directions. However I night I will dermaroll with 520 needles and I will do it with 3/10 intensity. Basically I will let the weight of the dermaroll sit on my scalp and then apply just a little bit of pressure and start one rep of dermarolling.

For some reason my hairline is responding really freaking fast compared to the hair on the back of my head. Hopefully they catch up. This time I'm taking regular pictures and therefore I will not be giving up because I have already seen thin but long hair on my entire head regrowing in the pics.

I will post at the 8 month mark which will come in September 2018 in my own new thread.

Please note I kept my hair buzzed for the first to months and for a minute or so I massaged the minoxidil into my scalp with index and middle finger on both hands. Not too much to compromise absorption.

Sounds good, keep us updated. What's the mm's on the nails?

On the dermaroll thread they say the 520 needle ones are the bad ones for some reason:

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/new-dermaroller-study-thoughts-comments.69374/

They say here that to see the befits it must be rather bloody but if you are able to do it TWICE daily I guess you are barely scratching your skin thus not generating the required growth factors... so I guess your regrowth is due improved minoxidil penetration only?

Are you on finasteride/dutasteride or anything else?

Red October

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Pogbaku do you have a thread with pics? Thanks.

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I cannot get that bloody even if I tried too.

I tried the bulldozer tactic once, I didn't get a single drop of blood. Not sure what is wrong with my scalp/skin because I feel immense pain when rolling, especially if I do the bulldozer (LOL) but I have yet to see a drop of blood. I get slightly red but it disappears within the hour, no joke. My eyes get wet even from the slightest touch but that's pretty bearable had I gotten results.

You guys think I should try even longer pins than 1.5mm? but more lightly maybe.

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's the 192 needle one that causes this pain. I'm using 520 all over my scalp at 3/10 intensity. Do not use it to wound but to increase absorption. If it isn't working as you wanted increase application to two times a day. My hair thickened up real quick when I changed to two times a day.

I'm pretty sure 1 to 2 times a day doesn't change no improvements at all to improvements. I'm probably just a non-responder.

Yeah, it's 192 I got. Is 520 roller too or a stamp?

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Also I've been massaging it in. I'm using on average 1.5 ml twice a day and because of my hair structure it sometimes doesn't reach the scalp so I stared massaging is with three fingers on each hands. This is something I did not do earlier. You guys may try it.

I did that from the beginning I think, just to be sure because whatever hair I have left is not that short.

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
520 Dermaroller rolled lighty.

That's 0.5mm.... I run 1.5mm and supposedly it's not getting deep enough on my scalp 'cause I get a slight red tint that disappears very quickly no matter how hard I roll. Not sure what 0.5mm would do. Having fever needles would only mean you have to roll 2-3 times the amount of rolls on your scalp to get as many "holes".

infinitepain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I still think risk of infection is too much for it being worth it. Also if you are rolling lightly, just buy a 0.5mm one, why bother with 1.5mm