Socks' story - (general thinning, pics included)

G

socks, hair looks great. i am a diffuser like you so i may consider adding 100 mg a day of spironolactone along with dutasteride 0.5 mg per day. what do you think this could do for me? any more than dutasteride alone? i have mild-moderate diffusion behind the hairline. would 100 mg a day be a good dose since i am taking the dutasteride with it?

thanks

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Jayman, I was changing channels and I saw the last 20 minutes of the movie Tommy Boy. I have seen it many times before. I happen to see Rob Lowe in the movie and his hair looked quite thin and receded. Bo Derek was in it too and looked awful with short hair. Now that movie was made along time ago. I have seem him lately on television and I am thinking he maybe doing some concealer to his hair or something. What is your take? As far as spironolactone, I would stay away from that stuff. You may start to take on subtle androgenous features. I do not know if its my imagination, but when I look at Sock's old pic and his new one, I see a subtle change in his features. Socks, I am not trying to be negative bro. Its just my perception. It could be all the Vicodin I take but I was just wondering if anyone noticed it too?

G

Doctor, i am surprised to hear you say that. i always thought rob lowe has had his NW1 or NW1.5 for as long as I can remember. maybe they did it on purpose for tommy boy? i didntknow the feature difference.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Jayman, He looked around a Norwood 1.5. I guess maybe he has kept it all these years but for some reason it looks better now. His hair did not look like your avatar. Anyway, I hope you did not take my impression negatively. I know you are one of my biggest fans, I do not have too many of them at the hospital, so I don't want to burn any bridges with you. As far as Socks, I was not trying to make a negative comment with him as well. You know my mouth sometimes has a mind of its own. :roll:

G

DoctorHouse said:
Jayman, He looked around a Norwood 1.5. I guess maybe he has kept it all these years but for some reason it looks better now. His hair did not look like your avatar. Anyway, I hope you did not take my impression negatively. I know you are one of my biggest fans, I do not have too many of them at the hospital, so I don't want to burn any bridges with you. As far as Socks, I was not trying to make a negative comment with him as well. You know my mouth sometimes has a mind of its own. :roll:

don't worry about it house, i still want to have sex with you.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Jayman, I am flattered but even under the influence of the Vicodin, I don't think I will allow my Big Cane to SWING into new territories. I had no ideas you were gay. I have no problem with your orientation but I think you have a better chance with Chase. :eek:

G

DoctorHouse said:
Jayman, I am flattered but even under the influence of the Vicodin, I don't think I will allow my Big Cane to SWING into new territories. I had no ideas you were gay. I have no problem with your orientation but I think you have a better chance with Chase. :eek:

he does have great hair, doesn't he? that's why you won't fire him even after screwing up with that patient.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
IBM said:
About norwood scale: you were worse than your picture in 2003? Or that is your worse?

Well, I never was really on the Norwood scale because I never suffered significant recession of my hair (in the front or back). But as far as the diffused hairloss, it got much worse after that pic in 2003.

Now this is going back some time so I'll do my best to have an accurate time line description here but I believe in that pic I wasnt even on Finasteride... I believe I just started Finasteride a month or two afterwards at the end of 2003/early 2004. The first part of 2004 was my worst for my hairloss and I really got to the point I felt hopeless when styling my hair (it was so -see through-, flat, and sick looking). Towards the end of that year things improved for about 6 - 8 + months (after 8 months on Finasteride) before getting going back down hill... It was around October 2005 that I added Spironolactone to my Finasteride and I started seeing results within 2 months... I later dropped the Finasteride and stuck with the spironolactone for a year before dropping the spironolactone and going to 5mg of Finasteride EOD which I now take... Only time will tell where things go from here.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
socks, hair looks great. i am a diffuser like you so i may consider adding 100 mg a day of spironolactone along with dutasteride 0.5 mg per day. what do you think this could do for me? any more than dutasteride alone? i have mild-moderate diffusion behind the hairline. would 100 mg a day be a good dose since i am taking the dutasteride with it?

Hey bro,

First, thank you :pint:

As far as spironolactone and dutasteride what a can of worms one opens to answer that question LoL

Ok, to put things into context:

Both Finasteride and Dutasteride causes a spike (or upregulation) of Testosterone. The latter (Dutasteride), more so then the former. Now Testosterone is an androgen just like DHT, just not as potent. Posters such as Bryan feel that Testosterone may indeed also play a role in Androgenetic Alopecia. This is one reason why some guys report that Dutasteride causes frontal recession... Yes, the DHT levels are lower but in the androgen sensitive areas like the front hairline and temples the increase in testosterone may, for some men, cause further recession in these areas. Now, I'm not advocating that dutasteride does this for everyone (or even the majority) but that is one of my pet-peeves with Dutasteride.

Now, Spironolactone in addition to being an androgen receptor blocker also reduces testosterone output... The later being possibly good to counter-act dutasteride's increase in Testosterone but because dutasteride inhibits so much DHT it very well may be too much for most men with almost a guaranteed set of sexual side-effects developing (in the case of dutasteride you would be inhibiting more then 60% or so of your overall DHT levels and with the Spironolactone you would be cutting your Testosterone output in half or more, and ontop of that your ARs would be less 'receptive' to the little remaining androgens!!!!).

In general, if Dutasteride is working for one then I say stick with dutasteride. It's potent and the results on paper seem to be better then standard doses of Finasteride (likely due though to the more complete inhibition of the Type II 5ar not the reduction in the Type I)... But if you feel after 6 - 12 months one is losing ground a safer and arguably more potent combo would be:

5mg - 10mg of Finasteride daily with 50mg - 200mg of Spironolactone daily.

Finasteride is generally non-toxic with very high doses being administered with no ill-effect (I dont even think there is an LD50 on Finasteride). In theory, enough Finasteride can inhibit just as much Type II 5ar as Dutasteride (according to one of Bryan's theories) with the Spironolactone addressing the ARs and testosterone angle. Since you would still have a decent level of benign DHT (as produced by the type I 5ar) it should reduce your chances of getting side-effects that are unacceptable.

But to answer your question more directly I think that you could experiment with 50mg of spironolactone w/ dutasteride but I wouldnt go over 50mg... 100mg would certainly be tops... anything over that and I cant see how one wouldnt more or less effectively 'nuter' themselves... Not good for a young guy at the prime of his life (and looks) IMO :)

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Jayman, I will not fire Chase for several reasons. For starters, I want him to be available for you, just in case you can't find a date on a Friday or Saturday night. Secondly, I use his precription pads to write Vicodin prescriptions for myself. Thirdly, he has better hair than Socks. And finally, if he screws up, I get to punch him in the face like I have in the past. Its alot cheaper than getting a puching bag. :freaked:

IBM

Reaction score
socks good post about finasteride/dutasteride+spironolactone. Definitely i'll try 1mg of finasteride + 50 mg of spironolactone in first three months and then jump to 100 mg of spironolactone. But i'll start after 5 months of only finasteride. Now i'm in 3 month mark.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
IBM said:
socks good post about finasteride/dutasteride+spironolactone. Definitely i'll try 1mg of finasteride + 50 mg of spironolactone in first three months and then jump to 100 mg of spironolactone. But i'll start after 5 months of only finasteride. Now i'm in 3 month mark.

Let me know how that goes man!

Good luck and of course if you have any questions feel free to post/PM them :pint:

toni

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
cassin,

transvestites take oral spironolactone to feminize themself. At 100-200mg/day, it starts reducing testosterone production drastically. This is good for hair loss and men like holyhair, and I think socks has the same goals. It is not for most guys, but is an option for men who want to look like women. I'd advise people to research it thuroughly before using it. Doctors should know a lot about old spironolactone.

Hi, I’ve come to this thread quite late, and if I’m honest, I haven’t read all the posts.
Transvestites rarely take feminising medication, such as ‘spiro’, as they’re still guys who want to stay guys. M2F (male to female) transsexuals or transgendered may be prescribed ‘spiro’, to help reduce testosterone and aid the effects of oestrogen.

socks said:
Yet still most transgender men still look a lot like men despite all the pre-mentioned measures. Serious transgender men must turn to plastic surgery to 'complete' the transformation.

The label of ‘trangendered men’ are F2M , born genetic female.

No problem boys, but just to putting the record right. :roll:

IBM

Reaction score
socks, do you want to be a women?

If no, do you have a normal sex life with spironolactone?

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
toni said:
socks said:
Yet still most transgender men still look a lot like men despite all the pre-mentioned measures. Serious transgender men must turn to plastic surgery to 'complete' the transformation.

F2M? Wouldnt it be M2F?

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
IBM said:
socks, do you want to be a women?

If no, do you have a normal sex life with spironolactone?

Do I want to be a woman? No, I cant say that I do :lol:

I'm not on oral spironolactone anymore but when I was (200mg for a year) my sex drive/life was normal... Maybe a little on the 'low' normal but certainly not anything that got in the way of things.

I will say though that, compared to the 'average' male I've always (as in way before any hairloss med) had a lower libido... By lower I mean I'm good with sex once every 2 - 4 days... I've never been the type to think about sex all day long or masturbate multiple times a day... Ever. But that is just the way I've always been :)

toni

Reaction score
socks said:
toni said:
socks said:

F2M? Wouldnt it be M2F?

No Socks.

F2M (Female to Male) are genic females who wish to be male = Transgendered men

M2F (Male to Female) are genic males who wish to be female = Transgendered women................. I should know :wink:

socks said:
I'm not on oral spironolactone anymore but when I was (200mg for a year) my sex drive/life was normal.

You must have quite a T level, as 200mg of spironolactone daily is the usual dosage prescribed for those M2F transitioning. Although I still have some life in those areas :freaked2: , things are nothing like they used to be.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
toni said:
socks said:
toni said:
socks said:

F2M? Wouldnt it be M2F?

No Socks.

F2M (Female to Male) are genic females who wish to be male = Transgendered men

M2F (Male to Female) are genic males who wish to be female = Transgendered women................. I should know :wink:

That's what I thought. I misinterpreted what you were saying in your first post :)

toni said:
socks said:
I'm not on oral spironolactone anymore but when I was (200mg for a year) my sex drive/life was normal.

You must have quite a T level, as 200mg of spironolactone daily is the usual dosage prescribed for those M2F transitioning. Although I still have some life in those areas :freaked2: , things are nothing like they used to be.

200mg of Spironolactone PLUS estrogens (and sometimes progesterone and Finasteride) are the usual routine for M2F transitions according to countless websites and shows (on the Discovery Health Channel) I read/watched.

Also, I'm unclear how much an effect Spironolactone can have alone in shutting down the testes. I know spironolactone reduces/shuts down testosterone in the adrenal glands but I havent yet seen anything definitive on how it affects the male testes... I really dont think spironolactone is enough for such a major transition... In fact, I heard some medical sites describe spironolactone as a weak anti-androgen. All I know is I took 200mg for 2yrs without any lasting problems.

Anyhow, I should have had bloodwork on my Testosterone levels prior, would have been interesting. However, I do perceive sexuality different then many men (I've always seen it more from an emotional perspective over a physical one long before any hairloss med) so maybe that has something to do with it... Plus my old man is 55 with a super thick NW1 and a chest similar to mine (little on the flabby side with a hard time putting muscle on)... So maybe I'm genetically able to handle lower testosterone and higher estrogens... Or maybe I just have UbEr levels of testosterone LoL