So, I Have Just Popped My First Loniten Pill

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey all ive just started minoxidil ( pill form ) 5mg at morning and 5mg at night after 8 months of unresponsiveness so far on finasteride (now proscar)

I know the oral version is more dangerous but from anecdotal evidence and statements by certain surgeons that ive read up on the results seem to be far superior with an apparent higher success rate compared with liquid. Im far from bald at this stage, probably a NW2.5. I was a solid NW2 8 months ago and im looking to get back to that, if not better. I'll try use this thread to document my progress if i get any. Anyone currently on loniten with positive results? Hell even topical users chime in i could use some hope and encouragement lol :) :D

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey folfox i am on the same brand as you, its just easier to say loniten rather than loxidil forte lol. What do you mean by it didnt really work? Do you mean that you kept losing hair or you did not notice any new growth?

Hippocrates21

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm on legit Loniten 10mg a day from my dermatologist. It helps somewhat at this dose. Anything over 10mg a day has too much of an effect on blood pressure, but I'd be interested to see if anyone has experience with higher doses. Not that I'd ever b willing to do it

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
@ForeverLacey : you're still thinking of me. You will dislike all my post just because you're having fun :p keep going, make me reach 200 points and more ! <3

Folfox maybe try upping your dose to 10mg a day because ive heard that loniten is dose dependant, unlike finasteride's flat line dose dependancy.

Hippocrates glad to hear you're at least having some success. If my results are undesirable i think ill up my dosage to 15mg per day but thats likely to be my limit.

God i just want something to work even just a little bit lol

shookwun

Reaction score
What did you tell your doctor in order for him to prescribe oral for hair loss?

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
What did you tell your doctor in order for him to prescribe oral for hair loss?

Its not prescribed. I buy from Thailand Pharmacy, i get 100 10mg pills for like 30 - 40 euros

EDIT: I noticed that was for hippocrates, but ive left my message anyway incase you find it helpful

Last edited:

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
1) Loniten must be prescribed with a diuretic, since it cause water retention
2) Yep, could drop your pressure even at that dosage
3) There is not a single prove that it will work better , even more, if you use 5 % lotion, you will use 3 grams of minoxidil per month , if you use 10 mg daily oral, you will only use 300mg per month ! There are greatest changes for you to get the right dosage of minoxidil by topical way ( cause the low molecular weight ) than oral . I also used in the past, 15 years ago was something real popular and was already demostrated by that time that was a none sense.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
1) Loniten must be prescribed with a diuretic, since it cause water retention
2) Yep, could drop your pressure even at that dosage
3) There is not a single prove that it will work better , even more, if you use 5 % lotion, you will use 3 grams of minoxidil per month , if you use 10 mg daily oral, you will only use 300mg per month ! There are greatest changes for you to get the right dosage of minoxidil by topical way ( cause the low molecular weight ) than oral . I also used in the past, 15 years ago was something real popular and was already demostrated by that time that was a none sense.

Thanks for the reply James! Sure its true that minoxidil lotion contains more mg of the stuff, but alot less than that actually reaches the follicle so the average per month is likely quite similar. Im using oral for convenience and consistency , im 20 and i dont care about my blood pressure ( will regret it someday ) i just need something to get me through my 20s and hopefully my 30s with a decent head of hair. So far ive just experienced shedding, but nothing crazy... yet. Hair is definitely a bit thinner ( even with a good thickening shampoo ) but i guess thats to be expected when starting minoxidil. Either way im staying hopeful.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply James! Sure its true that minoxidil lotion contains more mg of the stuff, but alot less than that actually reaches the follicle so the average per month is likely quite similar. Im using oral for convenience and consistency , im 20 and i dont care about my blood pressure ( will regret it someday ) i just need something to get me through my 20s and hopefully my 30s with a decent head of hair. So far ive just experienced shedding, but nothing crazy... yet. Hair is definitely a bit thinner ( even with a good thickening shampoo ) but i guess thats to be expected when starting minoxidil. Either way im staying hopeful.
You are extremly wrong :
1) less minoxidil will rich your folicles since it have to pass the stomach and will be spare in the entire body . The dose you are using is useless
2) dont matter how old you are, it will lower your blood pressure

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
You are extremly wrong :

1) less minoxidil will rich your folicles since it have to pass the stomach and will be spare in the entire body . The dose you are using is useless

2) dont matter how old you are, it will lower your blood pressure

Let me show you this extract written by a respected hairtransplant surgeon called Dr Pathomvanich, this is a small sample of his view on oral minoxidil

"When I started my private practice 20 years ago, I have seen a large number of patients who were taking oral minoxidil other than minoxidil lotion from other physicians and some patients even took on their own. I was entirely against taking oral minoxidil since it is not approved by the FDA and encouraged those patients to change to minoxidil lotion only, in fear of the side effects from oral minoxidil. After many years of practice, I have realized the remarkable effect on hair growth from oral minoxidil compared with the lotion. In many patients the result has changed from minimal hair over the scalp i.e. miniaturized hair to the cosmetic fullness of hair i.e. more terminal hair growth over both the front and the crown areas. Some have responded only at the crown but not at the front; also, there were patients who did not respond other than hypertrichosis. I have a few patients, whom I turned them down for hair transplantation surgery since they were poor candidates’ i.e. poor donor and severe degree of hair loss. One of them took oral minoxidil on his own and I was amazed when he returned to see me in four months, his temples hair was full with moderate hair growth at the crown but not at the front and made him a candidate for hair transplantation. Please see the attached photograph below. I did two sessions of hair transplant surgery on him and he was happy with the final results ".

He also mentions 5mg is not sufficient to alter blood pressure but enough to stimulate hair follicules. I understand i am on 10mg a day but the minimum dose for blood pressure was 40mg a day i believe, so i still have some room left.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Let me show you this extract written by a respected hairtransplant surgeon called Dr Pathomvanich, this is a small sample of his view on oral minoxidil

"When I started my private practice 20 years ago, I have seen a large number of patients who were taking oral minoxidil other than minoxidil lotion from other physicians and some patients even took on their own. I was entirely against taking oral minoxidil since it is not approved by the FDA and encouraged those patients to change to minoxidil lotion only, in fear of the side effects from oral minoxidil. After many years of practice, I have realized the remarkable effect on hair growth from oral minoxidil compared with the lotion. In many patients the result has changed from minimal hair over the scalp i.e. miniaturized hair to the cosmetic fullness of hair i.e. more terminal hair growth over both the front and the crown areas. Some have responded only at the crown but not at the front; also, there were patients who did not respond other than hypertrichosis. I have a few patients, whom I turned them down for hair transplantation surgery since they were poor candidates’ i.e. poor donor and severe degree of hair loss. One of them took oral minoxidil on his own and I was amazed when he returned to see me in four months, his temples hair was full with moderate hair growth at the crown but not at the front and made him a candidate for hair transplantation. Please see the attached photograph below. I did two sessions of hair transplant surgery on him and he was happy with the final results ".

He also mentions 5mg is not sufficient to alter blood pressure but enough to stimulate hair follicules. I understand i am on 10mg a day but the minimum dose for blood pressure was 40mg a day i believe, so i still have some room left.
That is extremly old . Ee read it back on 2002 when it was popular . Did not gave us better results than topical, will not give you better results . You are putting your health at risk cause some doctor opinion, none sense . Also, Loniten was sold as 5 and 10mg . 40 mg was a high dose per day

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
That is extremly old . Ee read it back on 2002 when it was popular . Did not gave us better results than topical, will not give you better results . You are putting your health at risk cause some doctor opinion, none sense . Also, Loniten was sold as 5 and 10mg . 40 mg was a high dose per day

That extract was posted in 2010 and this surgeon still prescribes oral minoxidil. I do agree i am putting my health at risk, but from someone like yourself, your perspective at late 30's who probably responded to traditional medications does not have the same point of view as me, a 20 year old balding since early teens who has only had negative experiences with traditional medicines. Topical minoxidil is definitely effective.. in the minority of the population. I appreciate you are trying to help me by saving my health but my mental health is deteriorating far faster than my physical health. I may be taking unconventional medication but that doesn't mean it doesn't work, because it does. Not for everybody but im willing to try it. If it doesnt do anything well my experiment was a failure and i will have to try something else but if it does then for me personally the risk will be worth the reward. Thanks for your opinion though James it is nice to hear other perspectives despite not agreeing completely with you :)

folfoxorack

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You should try, in my opinion and maybe I'm wrong, to start with "only" 2.5mg for a start ... and wait 6-9 months, and maybe increase the dose to 5mg max ...
It's not candy, be careful. And monitor your heart rate the first weeks.

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Andy,

There was a thread a few months ago on this forum about the usage of oral minoxidil and what kind of success you could expect.

You'd probably be interested in reading the thread and following a few of its links:
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/minoxidil-tablets-vs-topical-application.104477/

Here's another (old) one from some other forum:
http://www.hairestorationetwork.com/eve/161610-anybody-here-use-oral-minoxidil.html

Use of oral minoxidil is indeed something that goes way back but, as you'll read from the first thread, it seems some success can be achieved even by taking a small dose yet without most (any?) of the side-effects.

In any case, good luck and keep us updated!

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the information! The second link doesnt work however. I saw that time lapse of that asian dude, he is now literally a NW0 with perfect temple hair. i hope i get similar results. Im still shedding but its decreased, i only had 10 hairs in the sink this morning as opposed to the 20 or so ive been getting fora week now lol, im staying hopeful :)

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
Indeed, the second link doesn't work. Seems there's a conflict between linking and ad serving or some such.

In any case, I was able to find the relevant thread using Google.
Search for: hairestorationetwork anybody here use oral minoxidil
For another thread: hairestorationetwork any experience with oral minoxidil

Both threads contain interesting, albeit anecdotal reports, commented by a few medical professionals.

Good luck!

yourworld001

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information! The second link doesnt work however. I saw that time lapse of that asian dude, he is now literally a NW0 with perfect temple hair. i hope i get similar results. Im still shedding but its decreased, i only had 10 hairs in the sink this morning as opposed to the 20 or so ive been getting fora week now lol, im staying hopeful :)

Have you checked your heartrate? I was taking 5mg a day, didn't think Loniten was doing much to my heartrate felt ok, until I measured heartrate and it came up as 100bpm resting! Instantly stopped taking it as that kinda resting heartrate is not normal. Was too scared to do any exercise incase heart-rate went through the roof. Be careful taking it, it's a very very dangerous drug, it's why doctors recommend taking a duiretic AND beta blocker with it. Oral spironolactone and Oral Estrogen are probably safer than Loniten, they at least don't f*** up your heart-rate.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you checked your heartrate? I was taking 5mg a day, didn't think Loniten was doing much to my heartrate felt ok, until I measured heartrate and it came up as 100bpm resting! Instantly stopped taking it as that kinda resting heartrate is not normal. Was too scared to do any exercise incase heart-rate went through the roof. Be careful taking it, it's a very very dangerous drug, it's why doctors recommend taking a duiretic AND beta blocker with it. Oral spironolactone and Oral Estrogen are probably safer than Loniten, they at least don't f*** up your heart-rate.
Thanks for the concern but im sure i will be fine. Almost a month in and no sides. No growth either but im still shedding, its only a mild shed so i think thats a good thing.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Meh I'd rather have heart problems than turn into a woman.
Lmao id happily take both for a full head of hair! Whats the worst that can happen? Grow a small pair of tits and become reversabily chemically castrated? I'll still be a man, one with nice boobs and nice hair lol.
That last bit i joke, but im willing to give estradiol a go anyway.