SM04554 Phase 2 results

Reaction score
Short question from someone who has not been in the game for long: Does SM04554 act downstream of the DHT-induced problem? Or has it a completely new method of action (meaning that in case it is effective it could be used together with finasteride for better results) ?

bbbeeeppp2

Reaction score
Short question from someone who has not been in the game for long: Does SM04554 act downstream of the DHT-induced problem? Or has it a completely new method of action (meaning that in case it is effective it could be used together with finasteride for better results) ?
It uses the wnt signaling pathway. A key pathway involved in hair follicle neogenesis. It's completely different to Fins mechanism of action, it's basically signalling your hair follicles to grow and develop instead of inhibiting the signal to miniaturize as finasteride does. Histogen's approach is similar (although better in my opinion), it could potentially active dormant follicles or even signal new ones to develop. I wouldn't put money on that at this stage though, but it's an interesting area for future research.

If it works it might help to restore hair follicles undergoing miniaturization and may also increase the length of the hair cycle. So it could potentially be a pumped up minoxidil.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It uses the wnt signaling pathway. A key pathway involved in hair follicle neogenesis. It's completely different to Fins mechanism of action, it's basically signalling your hair follicles to grow and develop instead of inhibiting the signal to miniaturize as finasteride does. Histogen's approach is similar (although better in my opinion), it could potentially active dormant follicles or even signal new ones to develop. I wouldn't put money on that at this stage though, but it's an interesting area for future research.

If it works it might help to restore hair follicles undergoing miniaturization and may also increase the length of the hair cycle. So it could potentially be a pumped up minoxidil.
So it doesn't solve the miniaturization problem? The hairs are still dying underneath?

bbbeeeppp2

Reaction score
So it doesn't solve the miniaturization problem? The hairs are still dying underneath?

Who knows what it will actually do in practice, we'll need to wait and see what they announce. But as I said, wnt signaling is a key piece of the puzzle in hair follicle development. It's not out of the question that hair follicles in the process of miniaturization might reverse when the wnt pathway is sufficiently activated. Especially if combined with AAs like finasteride and other growth factors.

nameless

Banned
Reaction score

Has science even completely mapped the entire hair growth/loss pathway? I don't really think so.

I think that once they do finally map the entire pathway they may find out that all of these things (minoxidil, anti-androgens, Wnt mediators, etc) work at different points on the same pathway.

If I'm wrong and if science has already definitely determined the entire hair loss/growth pathway with CERTAINTY could someone please post a link to that definitive CERTAIN map. Not guess work.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Has science even completely mapped the entire hair growth/loss pathway? I don't really think so.

I think that once they do finally map the entire pathway they may find out that all of these things (minoxidil, anti-androgens, Wnt mediators, etc) work at different points on the same pathway.

If I'm wrong and if science has already definitely determined the entire hair loss/growth pathway with CERTAINTY could someone please post a link to that definitive CERTAIN map. Not guess work.

Swisstemples did a pretty good job of mapping it out:

http://swisstemples.com/prostaglandin-chart/

Breyfogle

Established Member
Reaction score
Question: How the hell are we going to know what SM says if no one is attending?

Are we hoping for a press release?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Knowing our luck, it may be that this treatment is extremely effective and has perverse side effects.

E.g. it's twice as effective as finasteride, doesn't damage your dick, but greatly increases the odds of Alzheimer's.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
We definitely don't know all the signalling pathways involved in Androgenetic Alopecia or hair follicle development yet, plus Swiss's chart only shows prostaglandins. It's likely there are a number of unknown signaling pathways involved in Androgenetic Alopecia and hair follicle cycling/development.

A recent study
Foxc1 reinforces quiescence in self-renewing hair follicle stem cells

and
[h=1]FOXC1 maintains the hair follicle stem cell niche and governs stem cell quiescence to preserve long-term tissue-regenerating potential
[/h]
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2016/02/23/1601569113

el_rizos

Reaction score
Please , publish any news that is known today about samumed . I'll read to you from Spain . Fingers crossed because we have good news.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh boy, it's almost here! Don't dissappoint me Samumed!

kiwipilu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
can you hear that drum roll in the background?