SM04554 Phase 2 results

distracted

Established Member
Reaction score
These hair loss forums are an emotional roller coaster. Some days you think the cure is right around the corner, the next it is 5-10 years away. When I joined, there was hype around all these new drugs in pipeline but with the disappointing results of Seti, CB, SM, the light that people said was at the end of the tunnel is getting dimmer and dimmer.

For myself, I'm going to try and take a long break from these forums. Hoping now that I started RU that I will be able to maintain what I have for a while. Otherwise I'll be bald soon.

Coiffio

Reaction score
Yeah, but they don't have to do it here, in the "groundbreaking" research section. This very well could have been included as a poster or as paper. Or, just slip it into a slide for investors like bim's results were released.
Yeah, this is what I was referring to. Is that forbes article all we've got so far? The author didn't seem to know anything about hair loss. The results are what they are, but maybe something else was discussed. I expected to be disappointed, but damn...

Reaction score
These hair loss forums are an emotional roller coaster. Some days you think the cure is right around the corner, the next it is 5-10 years away. When I joined, there was hype around all these new drugs in pipeline but with the disappointing results of Seti, CB, SM, the light that people said was at the end of the tunnel is getting dimmer and dimmer.

For myself, I'm going to try and take a long break from these forums. Hoping now that I started RU that I will be able to maintain what I have for a while. Otherwise I'll be bald soon.
I'm thinking of jumping on Ru and dutasteride in 2 months when I turn 18, hopefully we both maintain what we have for a long time so we can get a hair transplant/s. Good luck distracted

what

Established Member
Reaction score
Another one bites the dust.

So now it's down to Histogen and Replicel. And we already know that replicel isn't going to do much for hair growth. Histogen, back in 2009 was saying they're going to market in 2-3 yrs. Seven years later, they're still saying the same thing and have made zero advancements in trials or treatment.

Game over. I've been here way too many years and am tired of this sh*t.

Looks like the best we have to look forward to are advancements in hair transplants. The ground breaking mFue by Feller - LOL! and Pilofocus (which may actually be a good advancement) by Wesley.

FML

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
it looks like it's a cure of few months... it's still better than nothing. in control group , they lost hair. And in the others maybe they also did lost hair but they managed to regrow hair aswell. would this works also as maintenance? Were they taking any AA? that's impotant

With these numbers some men on treatment may have lost hair.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, but they don't have to do it here, in the "groundbreaking" research section. This very well could have been included as a poster or as paper. Or, just slip it into a slide for investors like bim's results were released.

WTF possessed them to present this in the groundbreaking arena?

FWIW

Established Member
Reaction score
I dont think its bad,anyway they are finishing another study in april with more focus on right dosing. Plus the key to hairloss will be combination of products.

kiwipilu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
With these numbers some men on treatment probably did lose hair.
And? they still have more hair than they started with.
without taking any anti dht?! you guys expect to regrow full head of hair? Wait more. I just see this as a step forward. It's still a new approach to hair loss and If it could regrow 10% of hair I would gladly jump on this for a few months.

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
Let me see the positive side. This regrows hais !!! if it can't regrow full head of hairs, it can still regrow few and maintain a density. Don't forget its taken as a cure.Finasteride successor? :D
Get a hair transplant and get SM.

These numbers are bad enough that some test subjects in the treatment group may have lost hair.
I would not count on this treatment (at least at this dose) to arrest hair loss.

Solomon

Established Member
Reaction score
I'll wait for the official results and pictures.
btw 10% regrowth and maintenance would be great for me

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
This is honestly mindboggling. I'm obviously disappointed, but more amazed that THIS is the standard for "groundbreaking" at a world-renowned conference. How was this approved? I'd hate to see what the other presentations are like if this was part of such a "prestigious" panel/section.

Ditto.

what

Established Member
Reaction score
The worst part of this failure is that it's yet another carcass on the funeral pyre that is male pattern baldness. More evidence to dissuade companies from attempting to bring forward new treatments.

We're back to square one in terms of a full cure or highly effective treatment. New lines of research will need to be investigated and the entire trial process will need to start at phase I again. Reset the timer now and come back in 20 years.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can't say I'm impressed with 10% regrowth in GENERAL, however..... this is after only THREE months. That's not even a full hair cycle! I'd be far more interested to see what results are like when treatment is continued for 12 months. 3 months isn't enough data, but 10% increase is 'good' in that short of a time span. Do you guys expect hair transplants to work that fast in 3 months?

I remember Dr. Naughton from Histogen mentioned that treatment is important during a particular phase of the hair cycle. So, there's that. Anyway, 3 months results aren't anything to be worried about.

Follisket

Established Member
Reaction score
So it's really over, huh? Absolutely everything fell through. All that's left now is to wrap things up with Histogen and Replicel and we're officially done.

Whatever new treatments will enter trials in the next few years won't manage to salvage our youth. So much for a $3,5 billion industry.

I'm sure we're all still fine with waiting patiently and taking it like "real men" though, eh?

kiwipilu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Completely agree, peple expect to go nw1 in a blink of an eye? Wait hair cloning. With a new approach this is a step in the right direction.
- > Regrowth.
Waiting a longer term result could be interesting.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Steady as she goes mates.

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
Can't say I'm impressed with 10% regrowth in GENERAL, however..... this is after only THREE months. That's not even a full hair cycle! I'd be far more interested to see what results are like when treatment is continued for 12 months. 3 months isn't enough data, but 10% increase is 'good' in that short of a time span.

I remember Dr. Naughton from Histogen mentioned that treatment is important during a particular phase of the hair cycle. So, there's that. Anyway, 3 months results aren't anything to be worried about.

That's an interesting point. I don't know what to make of that point. They tested it for just 3 months so does that mean they intend for the patient to only use it for 3 months or perhaps the FDA only allowed 3 months of use for this study so the FDA could find out if it proved some efficacy AND SAFETY in a few months. Wnt modulation is a new mode of treatment so maybe the FDA is making Samumed take baby steps with this treatment. Maybe the endgame for this treatment is ultimately continued use as in the case of minoxidil but the duration of use has to be done in baby steps to ascertain safety for small increasing lengths of time. I don't know. But for right now these results are VERY disappointing and it's very surprising that the AAD awarded this project with the "groundbreaking" designation.

IvanXproject

Established Member
Reaction score
This is extremely depressing. So the ones who can't use finasteride are basicly fucced? This is horrible man..

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's an interesting point. I don't know what to make of that issue. They tested it for just 3 months so does that mean they intend for the patient to only use it for 3 months or perhaps the FDA only allowed 3 months of use for this study so the FDA could find out if it proved some efficacy AND SAFETY in a few months. Wnt modulation is a new mode of treatment so maybe the FDA is making Samumed take baby steps with this treatment. Maybe the endgame for this treatment is ultimately continued use as in the case of minoxidil.

I'd be willing to bet all of my remaining hair that it's going to be required as continued use like minoxidil and finasteride. So yeah, 12 month results are far more interesting than a petty 3 months, but 10% in 3 months ONLY is actually decent. I don't know why they only did 3 months, that'd be a question for Dr. Yazici.