Setipiprant For Hair Loss - Mega Thread

wilson2

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the lack of reported results online are unique to setipiprant. I've only been on this site and checking out hairloss forums this year. I'm wondering if someone who is a bit more a veteran can speak to the usual process of these experimental methods. Setipiprant had huge buzz last summer and it seems like there are no in-depth logs anywhere on the internet. Is this typical for new methods or have people for one reason or another been especially quite about setipiprant.

(Note: not that I feel I entitled to these logs or reports. Any one who chooses to use any method (especially new experimental ones) and report on their progress is doing everyone a huge favour.

Soviet Youth

Reaction score
Well this doesn't sound good.

"Prostaglandin (PG) D2 is the most potent endogenous sleep-promoting substance. PGD2 is produced by lipocalin-type PGD synthase localized in the leptomeninges, choroid plexus, and oligodendrocytes in the brain, and is secreted into the cerebrospinal fluid as a sleep hormone. PGD2 stimulates DP1 receptors localized in the leptomeninges under the basal forebrain and the hypothalamus. As a consequence, adenosine is released as a paracrine sleep-promoting molecule to activate adenosine A2A receptor-expressing sleep-promoting neurons and to inhibit adenosine A1 receptor-possessing arousal neurons. PGD2 activates a center of non-rapid eye movement (NREM) sleep regulation in the ventrolateral preoptic area, probably mediated by adenosine signaling, which activation inhibits the histaminergic arousal center in the tuberomammillary nucleus via descending GABAergic and galaninergic projections. The administration of a lipocalin-type PGD synthase inhibitor (SeCl4), DP1 antagonist (ONO-4127Na) or adenosine A2A receptor antagonist (caffeine) suppresses both NREM and rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, indicating that the PGD2-adenosine system is crucial for the maintenance of physiological sleep."

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Finasteride: Good hair no penis

Setpiprant: Good hair no sleep?

Lol.

In all seriousness, REM sleep is crucial to a functioning consciousness, alertness, energy, and mental focus. Some other interesting facts I stumbled upon:

What are the side effects of setipiprant: This is the good (probably best) news about setipiprant. There have been no recorded sexual side effects on the drug. This is likely because setipiprant does not hinder PGD2 production itself, but PGD2 receptor activation. This could partially explain why finasteride has caused so many issues. By inhibiting DHT, you prevent the production of PGD2 as well as several other pathways responsible for sexual development, libido, and arousal. Why some people don't experience sides on finasteride while others do, is still unknown. But setipiprant should truly be a way to skirt around the sexual side effects and prevent hairloss closer to the source (there is likely some other deeper reason for hairloss besides PGD2). That said, the side-effects reported in trials were: dry mouth, nausea, somnolence, hepatic enzyme elevation, and anxiety. A more serious side effect reported was cholelithiasis. Apart from the cholelithiasis, these side-effects all line up with the expected results of inhibiting PGD2; this study was very small, however, but the fact that no sexual side effects were reported is a great sign setipiprant is a more targeted treatment for hairloss.

Via reddit.

Helios

Reaction score
I've been on seti for about 4 months and a week and I don't encounter any sides what so ever (on +/- 150-200mg). You best take it in the morning as far as my personal experience has thought me. And that seems somewhat logic since your testosterone is highest in the morning.

distracted

Established Member
Reaction score
In addition to sleeplessness, does anyone know if it's normal to experience an initial shed period?

irishdub

Established Member
Reaction score
2016 is fast approaching. There have been many group buys for Seti. Some people using it from a period of weeks to others many months now.
I wonder will we get an update by year end from some posters whom having being trialing it for many months.

Mageirast

Reaction score
Finally I got my seti after 4 months since participating in GB 2.0.
Today I'll have my milligram scale and empty capsules from Amazon.
Starting with tomorrow I'll be taking 150mg, one doze in the morning.
I'll be back with an impression about antiinflamatory effects in two week time. That's mainly because:
- I considere myself one of the best candidate in terms of experiencing itching scalp. It started one year and a half approximately, along with significant shedding and it's a very clear symptom.
- I've never been on finasteride, minoxidil, cb, etc so that an interference with seti effects is excluded
- I'm quite familiar with dealing with symptoms and signs of human diseases so that I can provide an objective opinion on that
- two week time is sufficient for an antiinflamatory drug to see results
- if thinking of increasing the dose, I'll do it after this period of time
- I'm not interested in applying topically

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
Finally I got my seti after 4 months since participating in GB 2.0.
Today I'll have my milligram scale and empty capsules from Amazon.
Starting with tomorrow I'll be taking 150mg, one doze in the morning.
I'll be back with an impression about antiinflamatory effects in two week time. That's mainly because:
- I considere myself one of the best candidate in terms of experiencing itching scalp. It started one year and a half approximately, along with significant shedding and it's a very clear symptom.
- I've never been on finasteride, minoxidil, cb, etc so that an interference with seti effects is excluded
- I'm quite familiar with dealing with symptoms and signs of human diseases so that I can provide an objective opinion on that
- two week time is sufficient for an antiinflamatory drug to see results
- if thinking of increasing the dose, I'll do it after this period of time
- I'm not interested in applying topically

Seti is not an anti inflammatory in the same way that Finasteride is not an anti inflammatory, they both inhibit the 2 things which cause your scalp to itch. DHT and PGD2. It can take months for finasteride to work, although the time frame for Seti to work is a lot shorter from all the anecdotal reports I have read, in many cases it is still longer than 2 weeks. Seti is a dose dependant drug, If you have an itch, and you're not on an anti androgen, then 150mg of seti per day is not going to maintain your hair and the chances are you will still have itch for most of the day as PGD2 builds up in the body very fast after inhibition wears off (which for Seti is short as I think it's half like is 8-10 hours). It's up to you if you want to apply topically or not but as over 50% of seti gets excreted orally, you will really only be taking in <75mg per day and it will be spread throughout the body.

Mageirast

Reaction score
PGD2 mediates inflammation.

I'm not talking about maintaining my hair, for the first instance I'm focusing on reducing the inflammation.
I know 150 might not be sufficient, but I'm going to increase the dose after two weeks if necessary.

distracted

Established Member
Reaction score
Did Hellouser ever provide an update or basic log? Would be nice considering the forum funded his trip to the conference (though his hard work there is very appreciated!)

I'm sure he will get around to it. He's still hasn't finished posting everything from the conference, and he said he was going to post a concise thread summarizing everything he learned. Once that is done I would expect a Seti update from him.

Mageirast

Reaction score
Been on seti for two weeks now,150 mg, one doze in the morning.
Starting with the first doze, I noticed there was an effect on my itchy scalp. That sensation of itching that used to vary in intensity and making you feel
aware that something is wrong with your scalp almost all the time apparently disappeared. That surprised me and gave me so much hope. I said "apparently" because the effect seemed to last only 5-6 hours and after that it looks like everything is getting back to "normal" slowly. Also, the forehead immediately below the hair line that used to be felt oily (and directly related to the intensity of itchiness) became less oily but I would say unsatisfactory. The oil is still there.
That made me think and understand at the same time why other people on this forum opted for two doses daily or even more (which now to me it makes sense). Also I think that so called unsatisfactory results can be improved by increasing the dose ( knowing from the rumours that an effective result could be expected at higher doses).
In terms of sleep disturbance as others complained, I haven't experienced anything that interfered with my sleep. Could be because of the fact that I took only one dose in the morning, allowing enough time for the potential side effect to get ineffective.
And the biggest "negative" part I found out starting with the second week and visible to me was the fact that the pozitiv effect of seti against my itchiness progressively diminished as time is passing. A quite big difference between the impact of seti in the first days compared to what I felt in last days in terms of reducing inflammation and therefore reducing scalp itching. That confirm what others said that seti presents drug tolerance. Which I don't think it's a good news.

For the next two weeks I've planed to increase the dose to 200mg, once in the morning.

INT

Reaction score
Why the hell is there so much hype for this stuff? Just because the method of action behind it sounds so simple? So far there have been ZERO convincing results...

Breyfogle

Established Member
Reaction score
Kythera demonstrated that Setipiprant is a prostaglandin antagonist. This holds the greatest potential to be a cure for hair loss, especially in combination with a prostaglandin analog. The minute they did this – boom – they were bought by Allergan. That's why everyone's excited. Also, Allergan own bimatoprost, which seems to be a prostaglandin analog.

DDobler

Established Member
Reaction score
Kythera demonstrated that Setipiprant is a prostaglandin antagonist. This holds the greatest potential to be a cure for hair loss, especially in combination with a prostaglandin analog. The minute they did this – boom – they were bought by Allergan. That's why everyone's excited. Also, Allergan own bimatoprost, which seems to be a prostaglandin analog.

Who gives a damn crap about what Kythera demonstrated or who bought them as long as this **** DOESN'T WORK? (Sorry for my language. I am just frustrated)

INT

Reaction score
Who gives a damn crap about what Kythera demonstrated or who bought them as long as this **** DOESN'T WORK? (Sorry for my language. I am just frustrated)

Agree, just because it makes sense on a theoretical level does not mean it actually works...

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score

How do you know it doesn't work? Have you tried it yourself? No? But you want convincing results? Well I'll tell you what you're not going to get them from the trials because the results have not been published yet, and the only other people using legit Setipiprant got it from Group Buys, most of them don't vacate these forums cause they're filled with idiots like you. But those who do, like me, say it works, and that depends by what your definition of "works" is, the drug decreases itch and shedding at low doses, barely anyone can afford to do higher dosages but from what it seems, Setipiprant is dose dependant, there are also other, stronger PGD2 inhibitors in the pipeline such as ADC, and Seti may be made more potent to increase inhibition and half life. If that is not convincing enough for you then nothing will be until the trials are published, so until then shut your stupid mouth. I can't say how many times I have had to explain it on these forums, people read what you say and then believe it unless they read something else, idiots like you forget that so you just post whatever garbage you feel like and don't care if it's true or false.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
How do you know it doesn't work? Have you tried it yourself? No? But you want convincing results? Well I'll tell you what you're not going to get them from the trials because the results have not been published yet, and the only other people using legit Setipiprant got it from Group Buys, most of them don't vacate these forums cause they're filled with idiots like you. But those who do, like me, say it works, and that depends by what your definition of "works" is, the drug decreases itch and shedding at low doses, barely anyone can afford to do higher dosages but from what it seems, Setipiprant is dose dependant, there are also other, stronger PGD2 inhibitors in the pipeline such as ADC, and Seti may be made more potent to increase inhibition and half life. If that is not convincing enough for you then nothing will be until the trials are published, so until then shut your stupid mouth. I can't say how many times I have had to explain it on these forums, people read what you say and then believe it unless they read something else, idiots like you forget that so you just post whatever garbage you feel like and don't care if it's true or false.

HL123, sorry to ask you a noob query, ...

Is there any indication of what seti will cost when it comes to market? I read that the dosage being trialed is 1 mg/day, which would imply a tremendous cost if bought from the Kane shop. That's not a middle class drug.

Maybe $100/month is standard for these drugs, or some other numbers, but I don't know this to be true.

INT

Reaction score

Dear Hairloss23,

Are there any platforms where I can read any results? I am considering to try it out for myself as well but first want to read at least one story that might convince me of it's effectiveness. You can also PM me if you would prefer that.