Samumed Sm04554 Results Normalized To Baseline

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Samumed is now Biosplice, they received 120m in funding and male pattern baldness is still on the homepage but there is no mention in the press release:

So I'm not getting my hopes up..
Wait what? This company rebranded itself and changed it's entire mission/target area with no press release? Uhhh

@pegasus2 You win this one. Even if the drug has clinically significant results this move is nothing but incredibly shady

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nothing changes, we'll wait for the phase III results before drawing definite conclusions. Btw, their focus was never on AA and rightfully so, that never brings in any investing money.
Nothing actually changes with the drug obviously, but the argument against this company was that it was incredibly shady. This is an incredibly shady way to pivot the company, that press release doesn't even say why they changed names/direction or that they used to be Samumed. You can't find "Samumed" anywhere in that release. They also mention their entire pipeline except SM04554, which is closest to market. If it was about to drop impressive study results would be 100% listed there.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Samumed/Biosplice is still a small company and isn't publicly traded, there is no need to make a big fuss about a name change. Also it's obvious their name is based on mRNA splicing.
If I was an analyst covering private companies and I was following Samumed, this would be the largest red flag possible. There is nothing wrong with the name change in itself, but when companies are pivoting and don't do it in a PR friendly manor it's almost always a sign of large scale failures that they are hoping you don't notice.

Also, shifting to mRNA right as the hype is centered around this new emerging medical direction is the same thing as kodak camera's adding "blockchain" to their name and their stock going up 1000% overnight. It's a branding move in reaction to trying to generate investment.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I knew some of you guys would find a way to cope with this. Kudos to them for finding another grift so quickly. Maybe they'll bring us an mRNA prlr cure

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Positive scenario: They deliberately waited to publish the study until the name change was through. Because the study results are so intoxicatingly good that they want to draw attention to themselves with the new name.
And not even mention it in their statement about the pipeline in the press release?

Gegen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It is also very noticeable that half of the pipeline has been abandoned. At that time it was already clear to me that they weren't confident.
True. They were supposed to have cured all the diseases they targeted.

drakl

My Regimen
Reaction score
As someone who doesn’t know how SM0554 actually works, can somebody explain to me how could a product like this not be profitable to them if, even though the regrowth wasn’t the greatest, seemed like it offered at least maintenance without sides? I mean, wouldn’t that be great in conjunction with a hair transplant?

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
As someone who doesn’t know how SM0554 actually works, can somebody explain to me how could a product like this not be profitable to them if, even though the regrowth wasn’t the greatest, seemed like it offered at least maintenance without sides? I mean, wouldn’t that be great in conjunction with a hair transplant?
Probably because it wont offer maintenance without sides. I've long said the same thing. If you give people another treatment option that's above baseline 1+ year up, people will still use it when the alternatives are so sparingly thin. If this drug offered 10-20% increase in density at 1 year it would have been a success imo, but it looks like it missed even that target.

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm colossally not surprised by any of this.

I wonder if the mRNA thing really is that simple. "It's been in the news with Covid shots. Let's put it on the new buzzword list."

Last edited:

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nice find. They've gotten all they can from private equity, now they can bilk retail rubes with an ipo. I admire their grift.

JealDeal

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why doesn’t anyone send them a mail and ask when the result will be published ? I am pretty sure they will answer and if the drug is doomed we would know and not wait.

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nice find. They've gotten all they can from private equity, now they can bilk retail rubes with an ipo. I admire their grift.

Exactly.

They've gotten away with everything so far. Their story isn't over yet.

The renaming looks like a typical brand-laundering job. When a crooked used car dealer's reputation & legal liabilites become too much of a problem, he doesn't turn honest. He doesn't quit the business. He just moves to a different location and reopens with a new name.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here we go; CEO Steps down, SM data in 4-6 weeks but the company predicts the OA drug program to be the first marketed, and it's phase 3 read out isnt until Q4.

Last edited:

Numerous_Bet_3027

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah they have nothing. They wouldn't communicate it this way if it looked promising. They didn't mention it in the press release, they stear away in this article. I wouldn't keep my hopes up. But at least they tried which is nice enough.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah they have nothing. They wouldn't communicate it this way if it looked promising. They didn't mention it in the press release, they stear away in this article. I wouldn't keep my hopes up. But at least they tried which is nice enough.
Yeah, I agree there. It might not be a total dud but it's not impressive, that's for sure.