SAFE AND HARMFUL CHEMICAL FREE TAPE FOR HAIR SYSTEMS

Fanjeera

Reaction score
The carriers that allow it to be in liquid form until it dries... have dried on the plastic substrate therefore creating tape. It's just liquid adhesive semi dried on a substrate.
Why do you say SEMI dry? So it does mean some part of the solvent could still be there?

Fanjeera

Reaction score
No. The carriers have flashed, that's all. There is still risk, and there are still harmful chemicals.

Tape can be considered more dangerous. It has the same ingredients as its liquid counterpart, attached to a plastic substrate.

The plastic alone is an endocrine disrupter, and estrogen promoter......in addition to the chemicals.
Is the plastic in contact with the skin, when there's glue inbetween?
If the OP is that fussy about chemicals.
Hair cleaning products,shampoo,conditioner,scalp protector,styling products are all chemical based too.
They are not in contact with skin, except the scalp protector

DarthJoking

My Regimen
Reaction score

Yes they are.
Cleaning products touch the scalp during removal.
Hair dyes get patched tested too as some people have severe allergic reactions to them.
Shampoo and conditioner gets on part of the scalp during washing your hair. With a lace base it goes through it.
Styling products can soak into the base, and if that's lace, yes it can go on your scalp.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score

When the glue deteriorates, it exposes the substrate.
Same thing with scalp protector once it deteriorates, the contact is made.....

Chemicals In the plastic leech into the adhesive...which leeches into the bloodstream.

This is the reason plastic baby bottles are made bpa free.....and you are not to leave water, in plastic bottles ...exposed to the sun and heat....

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Cocktails of medicine? What combinations have you taken? Contradictions are well known.

Prescription pharmaceuticals have been studied extensively, in many cases for decades. Hair glue has never been. I don't think that's a fair comparison whatsoever..

No one believed smoking was bad for you until lung cancer cases skyrocket.... and later was extensively studied for decades......to make the correlation
If I'm not mistaken medications are made in a lab. Some of these chemicals have only been out for a short time considering medications have only been around in mass the last 150 years. I know some people on 15 different meds. This can't be good considering there have been no long term studies mixing these together. Let alone by themselves. Yes, some medications can treat some real issues but I think just assuming they are automatically safe is a foolish as thinking hair glue is.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken medications are made in a lab. Some of these chemicals have only been out for a short time considering medications have only been around in mass the last 150 years. I know some people on 15 different meds. This can't be good considering there have been no long term studies mixing these together. Let alone by themselves. Yes, some medications can treat some real issues but I think just assuming they are automatically safe is a foolish as thinking hair glue is.
Actually medications are made in manufacturing facilities, not laboratories. Laboratories are used for conducting studies and research, in a controlled environment It's completely different. It's certainly not sn assumption they're safe. Medications have been studied many times for 10 years plus before they're released. Multiple double blind studies with thousands of people. Medication interactions are studied thoroughly too, therefore we know the expected adverse reactions and contradictions when combined with a different medication. Hair system chemicals have been around for a very long time, because they're not hair system chemicals. They're industrial solvents used in hair system adhesives. There has been 0 study on their long term effect.

Last edited:

DarthJoking

My Regimen
Reaction score
Medications are not entirely safe either.
Medications can cause severe allergic reaction,short term side effects and long term side effects.

But yeah medications are researched for years or longer.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Medications are not entirely safe either.
Medications can cause severe allergic reaction,short term side effects and long term side effects.

But yeah medications are researched for years or longer.
The rate of adverse reactions is well known and documented regarding pharmaceuticals. You're arguing for something with nothing to backup your claim. Completely Apple's vs shoelaces.

You are aware the industrial chemicals used in adhesives specifically state to avoid contact with skin, and immediately wash if contact occurs. Right?

These warnings are required by multiple authorities via regulation, when used occupationally. They are not required when the intended purpose is cosmetic use....however they are the same chemical compounds.

I cringe when I hear people try and convince themselves its not that bad by using completely different things as justification. It's like claiming people have peanut allergies therefore it should be no issue leaving poultry at room temperature for 8 hours before eating it. Really?

Medicine has always been based on benefit outweighing risk. You'll be hard pressed to convince anyone that the risk of lymphoma, cancer, and death are outweighed by vanity.

As I always say, I'm right here, doing the same thing. However, I'm not trying to fool myself. There is significant risk associated with exposure and continued use. Just like many people know the risks of smoking yet choose to do it. This I have no problem with.

Last edited:

DarthJoking

My Regimen
Reaction score
The rate of adverse reactions is well known and documented regarding pharmaceuticals. You're arguing for something with nothing to backup your claim. Completely Apple's vs shoelaces.

You are aware the industrial chemicals used in adhesives specifically state to avoid contact with skin, and immediately wash if contact occurs. Right?

These warnings are required by multiple authorities via regulation, when used occupationally. They are not required when the intended purpose is cosmetic use....however they are the same chemical compounds.

I cringe when I hear people try and convince themselves its not that bad by using completely different things as justification. It's like claiming people have peanut allergies therefore it should be no issue leaving poultry at room temperature for 8 hours before eating it. Really?

Medicine has always been based on benefit outweighing risk. You'll be hard pressed to convince anyone that the risk of lymphoma, cancer, and death are outweighed by vanity.

As I always say, I'm right here, doing the same thing. However, I'm not trying to fool myself. There is significant risk associated with exposure and continued use. Just like many people know the risks of smoking yet choose to do it. This I have no problem with.

A risk with both.
That's why I won't use solvent based hair system glues. Plus the vapour from solvent glues usually sets off my asthma too.
Less risk with tapes as long as they are patch tested.

Least risk with water based glues.

However meds are ingested usually or injected.

Hair system products such as glues are topical. Some of it gets into the bloodstream. Yes.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
A risk with both.
That's why I won't use solvent based hair system glues. Plus the vapour from solvent glues usually sets off my asthma too.
Less risk with tapes as long as they are patch tested.

Least risk with water based glues.

However meds are ingested usually or injected.

Hair system products such as glues are topical. Some of it gets into the bloodstream. Yes.
Tapes are a different risk. I don't know that I would claim a lesser. They have the same ingredients as their liquid counterpart, with the addition of endocrin disrupting plastic....

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Tapes are a different risk. I don't know that I would claim a lesser. They have the same ingredients as their liquid counterpart, with the addition of endocrin disrupting plastic....
Can you reverse endocrine disruption by stopping wearing tape / poly?

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Chemically inactive. The carriers used in tape have already flashed off, as opposed to liquid adhesive flashing off on your skin and being absorbed at the same time.
Thanks for your answer, @TooBad; but I'm no scientist! What does "inert" mean in lay terms? Do you think this tape, where every tape has caused me to develop bad contact dermatitis, could work for me?

So far no hair-system adhesive has worked save for white glues.

I have not tried silocone but have tried ultra-hold, which caused the same issues as tape for me.

Would love to be able to use tape!

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your answer, @TooBad; but I'm no scientist! What does "inert" mean in lay terms? Do you think this tape, where every tape has caused me to develop bad contact dermatitis, could work for me?

So far no hair-system adhesive has worked save for white glues.

I have not tried silocone but have tried ultra-hold, which caused the same issues as tape for me.

Would love to be able to use tape!
Inert is chemically inactive. The amounts can be measured; however it's concentration is too low to achieve its intended purpose

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Inert is chemically inactive. The amounts can be measured; however it's concentration is too low to achieve its intended purpose.

Unfortunately the most scientific (being facetious) way is to patch test.... and try every brand and model.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've tried enough long-hold tapes to know they all bother my skin. I had the best of luck w LaceFX, but still nothing I could wear long term.

The issue w patch testing is it only reflects very serious reactions that manifest themselves in short order.

When I first started wearing I had my taped piece on for a week, whereupon the hold died. I was feeling a little itchy at the time but felt it was something that came w the territory of wearing.

It took me a good deal more of wearing before I had crazy dermatitis that wouldn't abate for a long time, despite constant application of cortisone cream.

So am I supposed to try patch testing tapes all over my body for a week+ to so what's popping?

It's amazing how few ppl on these boards have issues w tape. When I look up black women trying tape w their lace fronts online, so many complain about the issue I get...

Last edited: