SAFE AND HARMFUL CHEMICAL FREE TAPE FOR HAIR SYSTEMS

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've tried enough long-hold tapes to know they all bother my skin. I had the best of luck w LaceFX, but still nothing I could wear long term.

The issue w patch testing is it only reflects very serious reactions that manifest themselves in short order.

When I first started wearing I had my taped piece on for a week, whereupon the hold died. I was feeling a little itchy at the time but felt it was something that came w the territory of wearing.

It took me a good deal more of wearing before I had crazy dermatitis that wouldn't abate for a long time, despite constant application of cortisone cream.

So am I supposed to try patch testing tapes all over my body for a week+ to so what's popping?

It's amazing how few ppl on these boards have issues w tape. When I look up black women trying tape w their lace fronts online, so many complain about the issue I get...
A 4 hour patch test should suffice. My concern would be anaphylaxis.... Which is unlikely, but the reason for the patch test.

I have had irritation from super tape, but not ultrahold. However even my best bonds, only last one week.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
A 4 hour patch test should suffice. My concern would be anaphylaxis.... Which is unlikely, but the reason for the patch test.

I have had irritation from super tape, but not ultrahold. However even my best bonds, only last one week.
Well, I certainly didn't die.

But the onset of the inflamed, raised, highly itchy skin did not occur within 4 hours. I, of course, could not see what was going on under my toupee until I took it off, but, even after a week of initial use, it wasn't that bad. It progressed into something ridiculous...

DarthJoking

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, I certainly didn't die.

But the onset of the inflamed, raised, highly itchy skin did not occur within 4 hours. I, of course, could not see what was going on under my toupee until I took it off, but, even after a week of initial use, it wasn't that bad. It progressed into something ridiculous...
It took me 3-4 days before the itching from the tapes to start with me. And pretty bad itching too.

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@TooBad would scalp protector negate the harmful effects of the chemicals in liquid adhesive and tape?

i know there are also harmful chemicals in scalp protector such as phthalates but scalp protector dries in seconds and absorption into the skin is avoided

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
@TooBad would scalp protector negate the harmful effects of the chemicals in liquid adhesive and tape?

i know there are also harmful chemicals in scalp protector such as phthalates but scalp protector dries in seconds and absorption into the skin is avoided
Scalp protectors typically contain similar ingredients to adhesives.. in diluted form. So, no.

Absorption does not only occur when a wet substance is on the skin. It's ongoing, until the substance is removed.

Last edited:

YoungBalder15

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just shave it, bro. The glue isn't ideal for human body.

Baldcafe's picture.
1646924433863.png

DarthJoking

My Regimen
Reaction score
What are you using now? I called a few salons complaining about itching & they told me their secret.
I'm not wearing currently.

I try the last few tapes and glues I got. If any work without causing me itching after a few days,great.
Then I would have tried everything out there, if not.
And my bio hair is way too thinned out to accept clips.
Norwood 7 and I have receded temples and under a TON of stress as well.

Edit:
Daily wear tape Walker 1522 was a heap of sh*t and only lasted hours. Unless it can't be used on lace that's why.
I'm not buying a hybrid hair system again to find out that tape truly sucks. I'd be wasting my money.
I have my doubts that Walker Natural Hold 1-7 daily wear tape will be any good either. But currently patch testing it.

I'm not feeling positive about it anymore. I tried thin skin,hybrid, now French lace. Walker max hold scalp protector.
Many tapes like 15 different ones and 3 glues. ALL with itching issues after 3-4 days.
I don't get itching much when I don't wear a hair system.

Last edited:

DarthJoking

My Regimen
Reaction score
I tried Walker 1522 tape earlier.
What a load of utter shite,lasted a few hours on my head before lifting.
Weakest tape I ever tried or maybe it doesn't work on lace.

I'm patch testing for 24 hours:
Walker Lace Front Blue,Easy Green,Natural Hold,Ghostbond XL.

Other tapes I want to try is Lace FX and Walker Proflex 2.

I'd possibly try Walker Safe Grip and Walker Great White glues too.
But glues are a pain in the arse to clean with lace. If I get min 7 days hold time and NO itching after a few days great.
If not,I can't be f*****g arsed.

I wont be trying solvent glues as the stinky vapour has given me asthma attacks in the past.
Such as Walker Ultrahold which failed on the patch test anyway.

When I tried all of them tapes if they cause me irritation after 3-4 days,as I would have tried every tape out there.

Last edited:

DarthJoking

My Regimen
Reaction score
Tapes I tried which didn't work for me,which caused itching and irritation after 3-4 days were:

Ultrahold tape
Walker Signature
No Shine
Extenda Bond Plus
Sensi Tak
Sensi Tak Select
Supertape
Truetape Performance Plus blue
SuperStick.
German Brown.

Walker 1522 lifted after a few hours. As weak as masking tape. lol

I've yet to try:
Walker Lace Front blue,Easy Green,Natural Hold,Proflex 2 and Vapon Lace FX.
Which is not many tapes left to try.

Last edited:

Fanjeera

Reaction score
What do you think of this method as protection from tapes? I am 100% firm that 4 layers of Ghostbond Platinum and some strong blue tape I have work better than just Ghostbond Platinum: I get a longer and stronger attachment that never lifts and is difficult to remove even after 4-5 weeks. What makes using Ghostbond so bad are all those layers and the waiting time. What if I dont do all the layers nor waiting, but just apply a single protective layer or two inbetween the tape and my scalp? That would protect me from getting in contact with the tape and probably would also give me an attachment that's better than anything else and give me almost all the convenience that using tape has.

Sounds realistic?
Should I then put Ghostbond on the scalp or maybe it's even possible to put it on the tape?

Last edited:

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What do you think of this method as protection from tapes? I am 100% firm that 4 layers of Ghostbond Platinum and some strong blue tape I have work better than just Ghostbond Platinum: I get a longer and stronger attachment that never lifts and is difficult to remove even after 4-5 weeks. What makes using Ghostbond so bad are all those layers and the waiting time. What if I dont do all the layers nor waiting, but just apply a single protective layer or two inbetween the tape and my scalp? That would protect me from getting in contact with the tape and probably would also give me an attachment that's better than anything else and give me almost all the convenience that using tape has.

Sounds realistic?
Should I then put Ghostbond on the scalp or maybe it's even possible to put it on the tape?
So you’re basically just using the ghostbond as a scalp protector? The ghost bond will eventually break down and your scalp will be in contact with the tape

TexanGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wearing a system makes me happy but the negative effects of the endocrine disrupters would create the opposite effect.

so ideally I’d like to be as risk adverse as possible whilst wearing a system.

with that in mind I’m considering switching to a perimeter ghost bond because I currently use a tape perimeter which I have now learnt is clearly going to cause endocrine disruption (in fact, after 2 years of wearing I am already seeing some effects of this) with it being a plastic and also ultra hold not being the safest adhesive. Fortunately, I don’t wear poly so at least that’s not an issue.

Would you agree this method of bonding (perimeter ghost bond on lace) would be the most risk adverse when it comes to minimising the effects of endocrine disruption? Clips isn’t an option for me so that’s ruled out.
It would be nice if this type of stuff had a bigger market, somebody would probably make some all natural adhesive. I've got long hair so I'm actually considering clips now since I'm not ready to shave my head even for a hair system but I would like to look like I've got hair when the time is right, but I don't care about going natural at other times. For a shorter hairstyle though I'm sure it gets more tricky to use clips since I haven't seen many videos of short hairstyles using clips.

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
I actually get a better hold using 2 layers of ghostbond classic. If i do 4 it remains sticky for a week which means i get lift on the hairline. Since I've tried just 2 layers it sets faster and stays secure. But i only require a week hold.

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I actually get a better hold using 2 layers of ghostbond classic. If i do 4 it remains sticky for a week which means i get lift on the hairline. Since I've tried just 2 layers it sets faster and stays secure. But i only require a week hold.
I’ve been told by my salon that less is is more when it comes to liquid adhesive so maybe 2 layers of any ghost bond variant would be better than 4

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
From walkers website:

Adhesive tapes do not have an MSDS sheet as the hazardous chemicals are evaporated and gone when the tape is created. We have a data sheet available on our tapes upon request stating the basic makeup of the tape and the specific thickness. We also have a letter available detailing why a tape does not require an MSDS sheet.

Does this mean tape isn’t that bad after all?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
From walkers website:

Adhesive tapes do not have an MSDS sheet as the hazardous chemicals are evaporated and gone when the tape is created. We have a data sheet available on our tapes upon request stating the basic makeup of the tape and the specific thickness. We also have a letter available detailing why a tape does not require an MSDS sheet.

Does this mean tape isn’t that bad after all?
No!
Seems like you'll keep asking until you receive the answer, you want to hear.

MSDS are used for shipping/ handling information. They outline the risk regarding fire,spills, acute exposure, and how to handle those accidental situations.
Since much of the carrier has flashed off, tape is not a fire hazard, and is not going to spill. There is zero chance the tape will unroll and smother you.

Material safety data sheets have nothing to do with health, regarding long term exposure.

Last edited:

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No!
Seems like you'll keep asking until you receive the answer, you want to hear.

MSDS are used for shipping/ handling information. They outline the risk regarding fire,spills, acute exposure, and how to handle those accidental situations.
Since much of the carrier has flashed off, tape is not a fire hazard, and is not going to spill. There is zero chance the tape will unroll and smother you.

Material safety data sheets have nothing to do with health, regarding long term exposure.
I don’t know, I’m struggling to see the harm with tape other than the potential endocrine disruption from the plastic.

the toluene and other harmful chemicals would have flashed off or evaporated when the tape is made so maybe not as toxic or harmful people are making out?