SAFE AND HARMFUL CHEMICAL FREE TAPE FOR HAIR SYSTEMS

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well it’s void of Toluene, Xylene, Benzene, Acetone, Acetate, Ethyl Acetate, Parabens, Latex, or Phthalates which is a good start!

and I guess if supertape actually is this same adhesive in tape form than it’s definitely one of the safer options for tape
I'll have to look up the ingredients and get back to you. However I've used true tapes adhesive that Curtis is speaking about, and it was the worst I've ever used...

If it doesn't work as intended, the ingredients are a moot point.

Unfortunately, the reason acrylic is used by adhesive companies, such as davlin Walker and so forth is because they work.

Last edited:

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'll have to look up the ingredients and get back to you. However I've used true tapes adhesive that Curtis is speaking about, and it was the worst I've ever used...

If it doesn't work as intended, the ingredients are a moot point.

Unfortunately, the reason all acrylic and adhesive companies, such as davlin Walker and so forth use the same chemicals, is because they work.
Yeah absolutely, I’m sure they would like to avoid these chemicals themselves but unfortunately they work very well for adhesives. Will see what chemicals are inside supertape and then maybe giving it a try.

so what do you currently use as your adhesive? Are you not concerned about the toxic effects?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah absolutely, I’m sure they would like to avoid these chemicals themselves but unfortunately they work very well for adhesives. Will see what chemicals are inside supertape and then maybe giving it a try.

so what do you currently use as your adhesive? Are you not concerned about the toxic effects?
I use ultra hold tape and ultra hold adhesive. I'm absolutely concerned about the effects, but I make the conscious decision to take the risk. That's the whole point of these discussions. It's not about telling people what to do or that they're fools, it's about highlighting the fact that assuming incorrectly that it's harmless is foolish. You should only do it knowing the risk that you're taking. I do know the risk, I'm taking, and I choose to take it.

You keep saying toxic. Your concern should be with systemic cancers, not acute toxicity.

Last edited:

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use ultra hold tape and ultra hold adhesive. I'm absolutely concerned about the effects, but I make the conscious decision to take the risk. That's the whole point of these discussions. It's not about telling people what to do or that they're fools, it's about highlighting the fact that assuming incorrectly that it's harmless is foolish. You should only do it knowing the risk that you're taking. I do know the risk I'm taking and I choose to take it.

You keep saying toxic. Your concern should be with systemic cancers.
Oh yeah for sure I’m engaging in this discussion to educate myself and hopefully others reading this because If I had no idea about this I’m sure a lot of others probably don’t either and then it’s up to them what they want to do with the information.

yeah I guess it’s similar to drinking and smoking then

im having a really bad time with ghostbond to be honest and I don’t think I can make it work with me so I may have to just continue to use ultra hold after all :/

Yes toxicity to organs, endocrine disruption, reproductive toxicity and cancers are my concern

so truetape have got back to me. They said there are no harmful chemicals inside supertape as they are removed by a kilning process by the time the product is ready to use.

Last edited:

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh yeah for sure I’m engaging in this discussion to educate myself and hopefully others reading this because If I had no idea about this I’m sure a lot of others probably don’t either and then it’s up to them what they want to do with the information.

yeah I guess it’s similar to drinking and smoking then

im having a really bad time with ghostbond to be honest and I don’t think I can make it work with me so I may have to just continue to use ultra hold after all :/

Yes toxicity to organs, endocrine disruption, reproductive toxicity and cancers are my concern

so truetape have got back to me. They said there are no harmful chemicals inside supertape as they are removed by a kilning process by the time the product is ready to use.
Ah you had good luck w clear glue, just not stupid Ghostbond ?

Fanjeera

Reaction score
@TooBad , what do you think of using Ghostbond inbetween tape and skin? That would significantly lessen the exposure to pure tape plastic, no?

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
SDS sheet for ultra hold tape….

All raw materials have negligible toxicity. Are the chemical ingredients considered a raw material?

Attachments

• 6FECEDF9-A0CF-4334-ACED-72D0191C19F7.jpeg
    6FECEDF9-A0CF-4334-ACED-72D0191C19F7.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 74

DarkStranger

My Regimen
Reaction score
There are safer hair system tapes that don't use acrylic.
Jesband aka Bioclaim Hydrobend. That use hydrocolloid adhesive and claim to last up to 3 weeks.
Oniy downside they are expensive at 23-25 euros for 5 strips.

I'll be trying them out as I have many issues with acrylic tapes causing irritation and itching after 3-4 days.
Walker max hold sport scalp protector does f*** all for me.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
There are safer hair system tapes that don't use acrylic.
Jesband aka Bioclaim Hydrobend. That use hydrocolloid adhesive and claim to last up to 3 weeks.
Oniy downside they are expensive at 23-25 euros for 5 strips.

I'll be trying them out as I have many issues with acrylic tapes causing irritation and itching after 3-4 days.
Walker max hold sport scalp protector does f*** all for me.
What information do you have that deems it a safer tape? I see on their website it says they do not use acrylic components, which is great. But other than that, there is absolutely nothing regarding the ingredients nor any evidence that it's safe.
Simply that it's a waterproof adhesive, which is true of all hair system adhesives.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
SDS sheet for ultra hold tape….

All raw materials have negligible toxicity. Are the chemical ingredients considered a raw material?
This is why it's dangerous to do exactly what you're doing. Respectfully, you are not understanding what you're reading.

A material safety data Sheet is required by osha which is occupational health and safety. It is not a scientific study for a long term exposure with humans. It is meant for accidental cases of occupational exposure. In an occupational environment, such as manufacturing the adhesive, they wear protective respirators,clothing, and gloves....the factory has an air filtration system.... they are not choosingly putting it on their bare skin....nor breathing the fumes.

What is considered negligible is if you accidentally get it on your skin and immediately wash it off according to their instruction. That would be a negligible exposure. Leaving it on your skin 24hr a day
.. 6 out of 7 days a week...is absolutely the complete opposite of an occupational exposure.

It absolutely does not say that long term exposure, to humans is a negligible risk.

Last edited:

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is why it's dangerous to do exactly what you're doing. Respectfully, you are not understanding what you're reading.

A material safety data Sheet is required by osha which is occupational health and safety. It is not a scientific study for a long term exposure with humans. It is meant for accidental cases of occupational exposure. In an occupational environment, such as manufacturing the adhesive, they wear protective respirators,clothing, and gloves....the factory has an air filtration system.... they are not choosingly putting it on their bare skin....nor breathing the fumes.

What is considered negligible is if you accidentally get it on your skin and immediately wash it off according to their instruction. That would be a negligible exposure. Leaving it on your skin 24hr a day
.. 6 out of 7 days a week...is absolutely the complete opposite of an occupational exposure.

It absolutely does not say that long term exposure, to humans is a negligible risk.
Ah right I see. Yeah I guess you’re right.
Truetape said the chemicals they use is removed by a kilning process. Is this similar to ‘flashing’?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
All that means is drying...flashing...curing.

As I mentioned for the most part all acrylic adhesives...from different lines... and different manufacturers all use the same components. Because they work and are cheap.

Last edited:

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay so according to TrueTape, they say that their supertape consists of a heavy coating of acrylic polymer adhesive with resin additives. Didn’t give much more but just said the actual formula is proprietary.

he did confirm it doesn’t contain toluene, heptane, phthalates etc and all the other common harmful ingredients in acrylic adhesives.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay so according to TrueTape, they say that their supertape consists of a heavy coating of acrylic polymer adhesive with resin additives. Didn’t give much more but just said the actual formula is proprietary.

he did confirm it doesn’t contain toluene, heptane, phthalates etc and all the other common harmful ingredients in acrylic adhesives.
Remember I said that before? Proprietary......

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
The website says it does not cause allergy and it's skin friendly.
So safer.
There is no substance, that is incapable of causing allergic reaction in everyone.

Aquagenic urticaria is a condition, where people are allergic to water.

There's products that are less likely to cause allergic reaction, those are referred to as hypoalergenic.

Allergy should be the least of your concern. Systemic cancer should be your worry.

Getting shot with a 9mm Is safer than a .45

Getting shot, still causes harm..

Last edited:

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well safer not totally safe.

And if that's the case,they could be held liable if anyone had an allergic reaction from it. However hopefully most people do a patch test beforehand.
They should have said inert instead.

Hydrocolloid it says too.
Safer? You can't be kind of pregnant. Something is safe, or unsafe....

They absolutely cannot be responsible for the way your body reacts. Where do you come up with this nonsense?

Are you of the impression that all 6 million US citizens, allergic to peanuts, have the right to sue planters and other peanut suppliers?

It absolutely blows my mind, that people are this naive.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220329-085156_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20220329-085156_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 55
Last edited: