S5 Cream: Does spironolactone Have Any Efficacy In Male Pattern Baldness?

tjnpdx

Banned
Reaction score
I've looked all over, and I can't seem to arrive at any sort of a generality about this. I know everyone's different, but are there any people that use spironolactone and know for a fact that it actually has a beneficial effect? Theoretically, it all sounds great--the S5 Plus cream. In reality, things are never as they seem. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Janks16

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I spent a year using spironolactone and had no results or improvement. Might work for others, but it didn't for me. There used to be a doctor in Los Angeles named Dr. Lee. He was a good man that was trying to help others with the whole balding affliction. Back in 1990 he was offering 5% Minoxidil before it existed on any shelves, and he eventually put together a 15% minoxidil solution, but that didn't do anything for me either.

He offered spironolactone as both a cream and he also had a liquid solution that had both spironolactone and 5% minoxidil. Again, I saw no results other than it allowed me to keep the hair that I have.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im using a spray spironolactone with Estrodial in it--so far knock on wood i am doing well in regards to shedding. Im on it now about 7 or 8 weeks. Past two weeks shedding decreased a lot and my short hairs are not shedding,,,I was shedding a lot of short hairs for long time..like 6 months straight.

Im also anemic and got my iron up so i don't know if its a coincidence or not..

But i would say try the cream or lotion spironolactone but if hair loss is aggressive i would not do it instead of oral meds.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's an androgen blocker. It is not a growth stimulant. It is not used for regrowing hair. It is used for stopping further loss. It must be used 2x a day as per Dr. Lee.

To be completely honest, when it comes to hair loss treatments, there really aren't a lot of options, and this is one of the options that actually should work. To be all skeptical and cynical about it is really doing yourself a disservice. There are plenty of snake oils out there you can play around with if you prefer. Topical Spironolactone is absolutely *not* in that group at all.

I used it personally for nearly 10 years after stopping Propecia, and I maintained the whole time.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I used it personally for nearly 10 years after stopping Propecia, and I maintained the whole time.
Yes, but you have PFS. Perhaps you would have maintained regardless.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Does this stuff ever go systemic or not? Does anyone have any link to a study?

I've thought about trying it, but people always market it as "It's topical, so no side effects!"

Yeah, the scalp is actually a great way to get drugs into the body and spironolactone isn't something most dudes want in them.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

I've thought about trying it, but people always market it as "It's topical, so no side effects!"

Yeah, the scalp is actually a great way to get drugs into the body and spironolactone isn't something most dudes want in them.

Im a woman so take it with a grain of salt for how it would effect men
I had side effect from oral spironolactone--i do not have side effects from topical.
My side effects were hormonal it made my period stop for few months.
spironolactone oral is such high dosage to work compared to people who take it for blood pressure.

tjnpdx

Banned
Reaction score
It's an androgen blocker. It is not a growth stimulant. It is not used for regrowing hair. It is used for stopping further loss. It must be used 2x a day as per Dr. Lee.

To be completely honest, when it comes to hair loss treatments, there really aren't a lot of options, and this is one of the options that actually should work. To be all skeptical and cynical about it is really doing yourself a disservice. There are plenty of snake oils out there you can play around with if you prefer. Topical Spironolactone is absolutely *not* in that group at all.

Thanks for getting in here @Admin, I was actually hoping you would. Maintenance is awesome! To me, that's being effective. I'm really happy to hear there's been success in that regard with spironolactone. Definitely what I was looking for.

tjnpdx

Banned
Reaction score
@Admin, is there any reason you haven't tried minoxidil with spironolactone for regrowth? Given that spironolactone can maintain, it seems like it would be a good mix (aside having to worry about two topicals). Although, if you can maintain and are happy, I can see the lack of the need to do this.

Mattias

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im going to but the "S5 plus cream: Spironolactone Alfatradiol Tempol" .

I just read the FAQ about it and it sounds good to me. Lowering my Finasteride dose a lot and adding this might be what i need to maintain. I dont seem to find any info about the appliance? how much? how often? anything to think about?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Or perhaps using a topical antiandrogen for 10 years lowered my androgen levels .... and maintained my hair.
You're not being consistent man.

Do you have PFS or not?

If spironolactone actually lowered your T levels by two thirds, then it's an awful choice.

Mattias

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're not being consistent man.

Do you have PFS or not?

If spironolactone actually lowered your T levels by two thirds, then it's an awful choice.

are you saying the cream can have sides? it clearly says it doesn't ..?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
are you saying the cream can have sides? it clearly says it doesn't ..?

I'm trying to understand the Admin's story better. He's the one who actually said above that maybe it's the spironolactone that lowered his T. Previously though he has said the lowered T is due to PFS.

Janks16

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Isn't this the point? To keep what you had, to maintain? I would call that a success no?

No, it's not the point. I was maintaining with Minoxidil alone. spironolactone created no added benefit, so why keep it in my regimen?

rcom440

Reaction score

I've been using spironolactone cream for 8 years and I never had any sides caused by spironolactone. I used Dr. Lee cream, S5, and wholesale 5% spironolactone cream. If it goes systemic it's in such a small dose it won't cause any sides. My blood tests are all normal.

I experienced sides right after I started using RU a couple of weeks ago.

dupaman

Reaction score
Did anybody grew or thickened existing hair with this cream? Any bad sides? That's the only thing we need to know.