S5 Cream: Does spironolactone Have Any Efficacy In Male Pattern Baldness?

rcom440

Reaction score

minoxidil should get you some extra hair.
I'm just saying that spironolactone won't regrow your hair. It will only slow down your hairloss.

rcom440

Reaction score
Ive been on minoxidil for 4 years and it hasnt helped, but im afraid to stop because i fear a big shed. Im also taking finasteride and dutasteride for over 3 years. So i really dont have any growth stimulant options. Ive tried EVERYTHING, literally everything. spironolactone is just about my last grasp to keep what i have left. I just really want to slow the loss down, thats my goal with this. We will see

Some people don't respond well to minoxidil. Are you using foam or liquid? If you are applying foam, try liquid. Also play with dosage but don't go crazy because this stuff can go systemic

Jameston

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ive been on minoxidil for 4 years and it hasnt helped, but im afraid to stop because i fear a big shed. Im also taking finasteride and dutasteride for over 3 years. So i really dont have any growth stimulant options. Ive tried EVERYTHING, literally everything. spironolactone is just about my last grasp to keep what i have left. I just really want to slow the loss down, thats my goal with this. We will see
Do you maintain with your regime? I wouldn't expect wonders if you are already on minoxidil + powerful anti 5ar.

CapiLarry

Reaction score
@hairblues,

You mentioned on the other thread that you were on spironolactone for two months on its own.

Any noticeable affects? Less itching, less shedding?

Thanks

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@hairblues,

You mentioned on the other thread that you were on spironolactone for two months on its own.

Any noticeable affects? Less itching, less shedding?

Thanks

It's hard to say definitively what is going on because I have very long hair.

I had a lot of short hairs shedding from top of head for long time...i could easily pull them out of head they have white bulbs..end of life cycle. I shed these small hairs for a very long time.

the past few weeks that has slowed down tremendously (knock on wood). When i go to tug them only a couple come out when before all were coming out.

I'm still shedding from the back very long hairs--which does not worry me as much because my hair is super dense in back.

I am also on iron to treat low ferritin...so if its iron kicking in or topical spironolactone or just coincidence i cannot say for sure.

But this is about 2 weeks and i have been using spironolactone since end of September i think.

it's spironolactone estrodial caffeine and melatonin in a spray.
it's a 'womans' blend from the hair transplant Dr who is treating me

But it sounds like the cream has same stuff thats active.

I would try it.

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Some people don't respond well to minoxidil. Are you using foam or liquid? If you are applying foam, try liquid. Also play with dosage but don't go crazy because this stuff can go systemic
Im on foam cause it helps add texture to my hair when i try to style it. Maybe liquid would help. Any brands you can suggest?

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Do you maintain with your regime? I wouldn't expect wonders if you are already on minoxidil + powerful anti 5ar.
Im maintaining but still losing ground slowly. Im 41 now and have about half of my hair left. Really scared to lose any more at all. Seems finasteride and dutasteride are not as effective as they once were for me

Johnmpb

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
S5 cream has been available through this site for over 7 years. I have yet to see ONE success story with documented pictures showing its efficacy. That should tell you something.

Nadester

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What amount of spironolactone is present in a tub??
How big is the stanard tub of s5 cream??

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Im maintaining but still losing ground slowly. Im 41 now and have about half of my hair left. Really scared to lose any more at all. Seems finasteride and dutasteride are not as effective as they once were for me
Sorry champpy, which is your actual regime?

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sorry champpy, which is your actual regime?
One dutasteride pill a day and half a finasteride pill a day. Then minoxidil foam in the morning. Been doing this for about 3 to 4 years now.

Over the past two weeks I've also started a few new topicals. Alpicort F and Follione. I've been mixing the two and then applying it before I go to bed. Too early to say that's helping yet but I'll report on this within the next couple weeks

rcom440

Reaction score
Im on foam cause it helps add texture to my hair when i try to style it. Maybe liquid would help. Any brands you can suggest?

If foam doesn't work definitely try liquid, make sure you spread it on the skin when applying it - it needs to be on the skin and not in the hair (duh?:)
Id stick with Rogane 5% minoxidil - that's what I'm using.
Also add Nizoral shampoo 3x a week. It will help with itchy scalp.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
If foam doesn't work definitely try liquid, make sure you spread it on the skin when applying it - it needs to be on the skin and not in the hair (duh?:)
Id stick with Rogane 5% minoxidil - that's what I'm using.
Also add Nizoral shampoo 3x a week. It will help with itchy scalp.

I just started minoxidil 5% foam a few weeks ago no side effects at all..I had read about your experience so i started with a little less and worked up in dosage to half a cap. Now it's a little more than half a cap 1x a day.

I also have a lower percent i think its 2% liquid.

Do you think 'here and there' adding the liquid 1x a day would cause those negative side effects you had? where you were over dosing? Im a woman i don't have 'low' BP but i have low normal which is good but not sure this would push it down below normal.

Also i don't know if i already asked you but at what point into treatment did you start to shed?

rcom440

Reaction score
I don't think adding 2% liquid minoxidil once a day combined with foam would cause side effect but please remember that everyone responds to this stuff different.

Do you prefere foam? I know that most people respond better to liquid. It's probably because you can easily get liquid on the skin while foam may get stuck in your hair and also because liquid minoxidil has better vehicle.
If I'm correct Woman foam is 5% and liquid 2%.

If foam won't work for you try liquid minoxidil and see how it goes.

I started to shed hair a couple of weeks after I started applying minoxidil but as I said everyone is different. 2 months after I got nice regrow then after around 5 months into the treatement I went through another shed and then regrow hair I shed but slightly thicker.

I also have low/normal BP.
If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about side effects. I think if you were very sensitive to minoxidil you would already noticed some sides. However, pay attention to headaches, dizziness, and heart palpitation as it can be related to minoxidil.
If you think you get size effect just stop minoxidil for a day or two and then decrease the dossage.

I'm my case I had headaches and extreme dizziness - I felt like I was drunk. I couldn't walk in a straight line and I could barely drive my car to work. I was just applying more than my body could handle.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think adding 2% liquid minoxidil once a day combined with foam would cause side effect but please remember that everyone responds to this stuff different.

Do you prefere foam? I know that most people respond better to liquid. It's probably because you can easily get liquid on the skin while foam may get stuck in your hair and also because liquid minoxidil has better vehicle.
If I'm correct Woman foam is 5% and liquid 2%.

If foam won't work for you try liquid minoxidil and see how it goes.

I started to shed hair a couple of weeks after I started applying minoxidil but as I said everyone is different. 2 months after I got nice regrow then after around 5 months into the treatement I went through another shed and then regrow hair I shed but slightly thicker.

I also have low/normal BP.
If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about side effects. I think if you were very sensitive to minoxidil you would already noticed some sides. However, pay attention to headaches, dizziness, and heart palpitation as it can be related to minoxidil.
If you think you get size effect just stop minoxidil for a day or two and then decrease the dossage.

I'm my case I had headaches and extreme dizziness - I felt like I was drunk. I couldn't walk in a straight line and I could barely drive my car to work. I was just applying more than my body could handle.

Wow-- i had no side effects what so ever like that.

Only thing i got 'possible' side effect is the topical spironolactone it also has caffeine I notice i don't go to sleep as easily since doing the topical--which was way before minoxidil..This can just be a coincidence i am not even sure caffeine absorbed in skin would do that.

I use the stuff at night so i could switch to liquid if foam does not work well. I shower in AM
I use the foam honestly because i like that it dries quickly and easy clean up--i have a cat.
I figured quicker it dries and does not drip etc the better.
I also read people had less itching side effect from liquid.

I just started i think 3 weeks ago.

Im seriously considering PRP+Acell but i don't know if i should give the minoxidil a few months first.

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
Could this stuff work to maintain if finasteride with minoxidil is not?

mowingdown

Reaction score
Oh goody. More suspicious sounding comments. My favorite.

I have maintained my hair for 15 years. There are no before and after photos to show you.

I got on Propecia within 3 months of first noticing hair loss.

Sorry

Would you be willing to disclose why Hairlosstalk is given a "discount" on these products? Presumably you are receiving revenue from traffic directed from your site? People aren't asking for photos of your face. They are asking for two photos of just the top of your head. No personal info disclosed in this case. I'm not sure why you are lashing out at anyone here but it is not really helping your claims given that you benefit directly (unless otherwise stated) from the sale of this stuff.

Mach

Established Member
Reaction score
Before any topical I make sure my hair and head is dry and I exfoliate my scalp with a boar brush. one of those brushes that hurts to comb.
I have no evidence that exfoliating helps but it makes perfect sense.

WMQ

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm surprised that no one has ever asked this and the admin/website still hasn't reply to my previous message:

1. Why the product doesn't even have a proper photo? (the current one obviously photoshopped)
2. Where is the product manufactured?