Ru58841 Side Effects, Lethargy En Lack Of Sleep

ryan r

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I think I may have gotten bad sides from RU usage. As of lately, I have gotten extremely lethargic, also my sleep quality has suffered significantly.

Has anyone else noticed this or any other sides on RU, and how long did it take for the sides to disappear?

It is a shame, because I really hoped RU combined with dutasteride was a winning combo for me. dutasteride still works, but not sure if my hairline will hold.

Hope to hear your thoughts!

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Ryan, I'm also on this same combination as we discussed previously. I haven't felt this side effect or read that lethargy is a side effect of anti androgens. However, what I do know is when I first used RU about six months ago I read that heart problems were a side effect. It was about that time that I felt chest pains. Also, when I started oral minoxidil I *thought* that I was having heart palpitations but these went away.
What I'm saying is that it could be psychosomatic. I restarted RU and I have since not felt any chest pains and additionally when I was not using RU I felt chest pains but of course didn't attribute them to RU. If you are worried you could switch to CB at the same dosage, I have found them to be similar in effectiveness though it is too early to say with any certainty. I guess it would be a shame to drop topical AAs if you feel they are working

ryan r

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Ryan, I'm also on this same combination as we discussed previously. I haven't felt this side effect or read that lethargy is a side effect of anti androgens. However, what I do know is when I first used RU about six months ago I read that heart problems were a side effect. It was about that time that I felt chest pains. Also, when I started oral minoxidil I *thought* that I was having heart palpitations but these went away.
What I'm saying is that it could be psychosomatic. I restarted RU and I have since not felt any chest pains and additionally when I was not using RU I felt chest pains but of course didn't attribute them to RU. If you are worried you could switch to CB at the same dosage, I have found them to be similar in effectiveness though it is too early to say with any certainty. I guess it would be a shame to drop topical AAs if you feel they are working

Yeah I had a lot of things going on that can cause fatigue. I am starting to feel better. If I can keep this up I am gonna start with RU again. I don't think it caused the fatigue to be honest. But I am gonna wait for a couple more days. I really want to keep using it!

Thanks for the advice!

I will report my findings here....

Last edited:

Ausgebombt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve been on 30 mg RU for the past 7 weeks and it’s done absolutely nothing to me. Still shedding like a dog.

how can you objectively measure lethargy during a social isolation lockdown?

ryan r

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve been on 30 mg RU for the past 7 weeks and it’s done absolutely nothing to me. Still shedding like a dog.

Jep, there is the lockdown, and there is the fact that I was on meds that were making me tired, plus there is other stuff going on in my life that can cause some serious fatigue issues. My energy is coming back and if it stays there for a couple of days, I will hop back on it.

Sucks that you keep shedding, but its only been 7 weeks, stick with it for a couple of months until you can make an informed decision.

FCKW36

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I also think it's all in your head. I'm taking 140mg RU every day for 6 years straight. When I first read about the myth that RU can cause heart problems I felt chest pain and shortness of breath for several days so that I stopped it for some days. Never had this problems again after clearing up my mind.

Ausgebombt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I
30 mg is a joke, try somewhere between 50-120 if you're hoping for results, I've titrated up to 85 mg soon 90

It seems like everybody has a different opinion on this. I’ve heard everything from 10-150 mg working for people. 50 mg worked on the monkeys.

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

It's of course very difficult for anyone to say whether a drug will work for you or not because androgenic alopecia is multi-faceted and RU may not be addressing the issue that is causing your loss. However, I would agree that 30mg is a low dose. I needed 50mg to reduce shedding. RU works differently to other anti androgens in that if it works it works quickly. I *think* that I saw a reduction in shedding at about two weeks. To give yourself a good chance to evaluate whether it is working I would do this:
1) Mix 50mg powder daily (keep refrigerated of course) in 1ml of stemoxidine and immediately apply it to clean dry scalp shortly after showering.
2) Cut your hair short or part it methodically as you work across the scalp to make sure it is getting to your scalp and not sticking to the hair. 3)Monitor shedding closely for 3 months and see if there is a reduction. If not then you can drop it and continue to keep an eye on shedding- if there is any increase after dropping it then you'll know that it was working and it's worth continuing. If shedding remains the same you could try CB at 50mg per day to see if that works any better.
It's also worth mentioning that I read that RU has a higher binding affinity than testosterone but not DHT. I don't know if this is true but if it is it would mean that it is only really effective when used in combination with oral finasteride or dutasteride as these crush DHT systemically, but don't address the testosterone attacking follicles locally in the scalp.

Last edited:

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I also think it's all in your head. I'm taking 140mg RU every day for 6 years straight. When I first read about the myth that RU can cause heart problems I felt chest pain and shortness of breath for several days so that I stopped it for some days. Never had this problems again after clearing up my mind.
That's interesting to hear that you have been on RU for 6 years, people often report a loss of effectiveness after a short time. Did you experience this? Also, I'm new to RU and keen not to take any unnecessary health risks- do you have any regular medical checks to make sure it isn't causing any cumulative damage to heart/ arteries?

Ausgebombt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I honestly have no clue what they did to have success on the monkeys because I'm maintaining density at best and losing temple ground slowly.

In the human-graft on mice study they used even less than the monkeys and still grew hair. I think they used like 0.1 mg effective RU dose 5 days per week or something like that. I’ll have the research paper at home I’ll check what the exact value was later.

Considering the binding affinity of RU is super high over an order of magnitude that of CB, I wouldn’t expect that massive doses are required but of course there are other factors at play.

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think their application vehicle is potentially a variable to account for, also of course having ACTUAL ru lol. I've been using chemyo up to this point as my supplier, will be purchasing from science.bio this week. Will monitor for any changes accordingly.
Have you used Anagenic's RU? Wondering how they compare to Chemyo or others. I use Wuhan for CB

FCKW36

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That's interesting to hear that you have been on RU for 6 years, people often report a loss of effectiveness after a short time. Did you experience this? Also, I'm new to RU and keen not to take any unnecessary health risks- do you have any regular medical checks to make sure it isn't causing any cumulative damage to heart/ arteries?

I don't really know how effective it is. When I started treatment 6 years ago with minoxidil, I got massive regrowth, but now I'm beyond baseline. But without RU or minoxidil I would be slick bald by now.

No I don't have regular check ups. Had a lot of blood work down recently because I had an operation because of a tonsillar abscess and everything was fine even liver and so on.

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't really know how effective it is. When I started treatment 6 years ago with minoxidil, I got massive regrowth, but now I'm beyond baseline. But without RU or minoxidil I would be slick bald by now.

No I don't have regular check ups. Had a lot of blood work down recently because I had an operation because of a tonsillar abscess and everything was fine even liver and so on.
Thanks for this reassurance- I'm probably just being paranoid! Great to hear that you have more than maintained on this combo!

FCKW36

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this reassurance- I'm probably just being paranoid! Great to hear that you have more than maintained on this combo!

No worries, being sceptical has nothing to do with being paranoid. We are talking about a research compoind which is produced in Chinese backyard laboratory. But from my experience it's well tolerated. I have absolutely no side effects.

Ausgebombt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think their application vehicle is potentially a variable to account for, also of course having ACTUAL ru lol. I've been using chemyo up to this point as my supplier, will be purchasing from science.bio this week. Will monitor for any changes accordingly.

If you have some science ability and about $800, you can purchase the equipment to test RU beyond reasonable doubt. Look into a UV-Vis spectroscopy, thin layer chromatography, and melting point tests. Then cross reference your results with the RU scientific literature.

Last edited:

ryan r

Established Member
Reaction score
I am back on it. I don't know what caused the extreme fatigue. I know for a fact that the fatigue wasn't in my head, but did RU cause it? Lets hope not. I really need something besides RU to keep my hair in the long term. Using both RU and dutasteride seems like an amazing combo to me.

BTW I am only using a 3 percent solution, I see people talking here about effective dosage, I drop 1ml of liquid on my scalp. Thoughts?

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am back on it. I don't know what caused the extreme fatigue. I know for a fact that the fatigue wasn't in my head, but did RU cause it? Lets hope not. I really need something besides RU to keep my hair in the long term. Using both RU and dutasteride seems like an amazing combo to me.

BTW I am only using a 3 percent solution, I see people talking here about effective dosage, I drop 1ml of liquid on my scalp. Thoughts?
I'm guessing it's different for everyone but I didn't see a decent reduction in shedding until i hit 5% and it seems that 5% of 1ml is pretty standard for most people. Worked up from 2%. If anything changes my next step will be twice a day i think

ryan r

Established Member
Reaction score
I am quitting again...I just cant seem to handle it....Maybe I will try again in a couple of months but for now I need my sleep and my energy.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am quitting again...I just cant seem to handle it....Maybe I will try again in a couple of months but for now I need my sleep and my energy.

You had sleeping problems and lethargy on RU? were you needling along with it? strange you go those sides but can handle dutasteride.