Ru58841 - Poll: Why Haven't You Tried Ru58841

What does prevent you from trying RU58841?

• Total voters

Nostro100

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This poll is specially designed to hear the reasons for people which haven't tried RU. So if you havent tried RU, I would love to know why!
Why a poll and not a comments thread? Because I want big volume of quick and simple answers. There are already enough threads for ru with complex theories behind it.

Ru58841
is one damn controversial drug on this forum even tho it doesn't reach the levels of controversy of Finasteride and Dutasteride.
For instance, for and against points (not laid in any particular order) for the drug that may had influence your decision into taking it (or not).

• It's on the Sticky Threads of the "Antiandrogens - propecia, Dutasteride, etc." section and that tells a lot of the forum's administrator/founder position on this drug.
  • It's not an FDA approved drug (can be sold only under the pretext of research)
  • The amount of side effect stories for Ru58841 is not as much as for Finasteride/dutasteride (but then again, fewer people use it)
  • It as been shown to work when Finasteride/dustasteride failed.
  • It as been claimed to give shedding (It's questionable if this is directly caused by Ru58841 or the vehicle used, which is the same as Minoxidil)
  • It's relatively expensive ($79 for 5000mg +$35 shipping, on anageninc) only Kane is the other option with the same price.
  • There are success stories (like irishpride86's success story)
  • There are unsuccessfully stories of people who tried it and had no regrowth or maintenance
  • It doesn't lower androgens like Finasteride/Dutasteride (just protects the hair follicle from them)
  • It goes systemic just like other drugs and has the same side effects as finasteride/duta once systemic
This are just some of the things to take into consideration.

PS: I will leave all options of vote open. We aren't children so I ask for the good of everyone to not vandalize the poll by "voting" on all options for no reason, and as a matter of exclusion, dont vote if you already tried RU (doesnt matter if it ended well or not)

2nd PS: Just another Poll here questioning the fundamental reason of hairloss

Last edited:

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
No long term research, inadequate and varying results. Finasteride/Dutasteride and minoxidil have much more info on them and PLENTY of success stories. I don't personally use minoxidil because of sides but i would definitely use it if i didn't get them. The big three still reign supreme imo.

Nostro100

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No long term research, inadequate and varying results. Finasteride/Dutasteride and minoxidil have much more info on them and PLENTY of success stories. I don't personally use minoxidil because of sides but i would definitely use it if i didn't get them. The big three still reign supreme imo.

Oh boy, the "no long term research" Applies 100% to Ru58841, but "Inadequate and varying results" can just as much apply to Minoxidil and Finasteride. Lots of people not having success with it.

Who ever studied 10 grade math, knows about Gaussian distribution. The basis of it are simple, the more data you have about something, the nearer you get to the true result. I'm just saying that when compared to Finasteride, we dont have a clue of how effective it can be to the general population, precisely because the only people that know about it are people on forums AND even then, as we can see here, Not a hole lot are willing to try it.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Here is a simple fact. The more people using anything the more issues like sides you will hear about and find. Why is RU not as controversial as propecia? its not FDA approved so its not being prescribed to the general public to treat hair loss. Its way way way less commonly used than finasteride so much less talk and sides are known.
If everyone used RU it would have the same arguments over sides and safety as finasteride does right now. Its just numbers. Nothing works for everyone.

Sliceofbread

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh boy, the "no long term research" Applies 100% to Ru58841, but "Inadequate and varying results" can just as much apply to Minoxidil and Finasteride. Lots of people not having success with it.

Who ever studied 10 grade math, knows about Gaussian distribution. The basis of it are simple, the more data you have about something, the nearer you get to the true result. I'm just saying that when compared to Finasteride, we dont have a clue of how effective it can be to the general population, precisely because the only people that know about it are people on forums AND even then, as we can see here, Not a hole lot are willing to try it.

Worried about shedding... pretty much why I’m scared of starting any treatment

Nostro100

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Nostro100

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here is a simple fact. The more people using anything the more issues like sides you will hear about and find. Why is RU not as controversial as propecia? its not FDA approved so its not being prescribed to the general public to treat hair loss. Its way way way less commonly used than finasteride so much less talk and sides are known.
If everyone used RU it would have the same arguments over sides and safety as finasteride does right now. Its just numbers. Nothing works for everyone.
Yea , Ru58841 isn't available to the public because it wasn't FDA approved ... Because the company that bought it (ProStrakan) stopped the clinical trials.
From Wikipedia " RU-58841 It was under development as a topical medication for the treatment of acne and pattern hair loss but its development was discontinued during phase I clinical trials."

There is tons of speculation for why the drug was never commercialized, from it not being profitable enough to not being stable enough, to the results being close to finasteride results (some say they were better) BUT never from safety issues.

No one knows for sure how would Ru58841 side effects reveal to be in %, to the general public. Could be worse or better than finasteride...or equal. It blocks the DHT receptors of our follicules and so it could block of other things in our body if it goes systemic, but thats me speculating again.

el_duterino

Reaction score
Why do people think it is expensive ? I paid 250 for 20g and I use 20mg day so it costs me 0.25 USD per day
its by far the cheapest part of my combo
In the freezer this powder lasts for years

but now that we have good data on CB I would use CB instead..same type of drug but about double the price..still cheap

Nostro100

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why do people think it is expensive ? I paid 250 for 20g and I use 20mg day so it costs me 0.25 USD per day
its by far the cheapest part of my combo
In the freezer this powder lasts for years

but now that we have good data on CB I would use CB instead..same type of drug but about double the price..still cheap

You use 20mg a day... I see other posts claiming 50mg twice a day, or 100mg daily... So 20g gives 200 applications. It's $1.25 a day.

I think 100mg is exaggerated so 50mg, ($0.63 a day) is more realistic. (PG and ethanol are cheap so i dont count them)

I guess the main problem here is that we don't have "a trial price" and hardly there can be one because it takes months for the thing to take any effect, right? I guess 3g (60 days at 50mg) would be enough to tell if it works or not. As in everything, you buy less weight, you pay more per gram!

In my country I can buy 60x5mg pills for 16€ ... thats 0.05€ per 1mg, dirt cheap, but the main attractive thing is that you dont shell out a ton of money to try the damn thing (that as far as you know MAY NOT EVEN WORK!) Imagin if there was only 360ml flanks of Minoxidil and each one was 200USD

el_duterino

Reaction score
any topical anti-androgen does not take months to work, as soon as you apply it and the drug makes it to the AR your hair are protected from androgen and no further hair loss can happen... provided you use the right vehicle and absorption is good, which can vary with hair length, scalp thickness and porosity, method of applying.

Sliceofbread

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
any topical anti-androgen does not take months to work, as soon as you apply it and the drug makes it to the AR your hair are protected from androgen and no further hair loss can happen... provided you use the right vehicle and absorption is good, which can vary with hair length, scalp thickness and porosity, method of applying.

So what’s the best vehicle for ru or cb?

el_duterino

Reaction score
it dissolves in ethanol and un-dissolves in water..if you add water the powder re-appears as flakes

so anything that has enough ethanol and very little water. PG has no effect so its ok to add ...but not good to the skin and has some side effects such as being ototoxic, and PG makes hair greasy

make sure you have a dry and clean scalp before applying

I have been using Neogenic or the garnier green bottle cheaper version - works fine and stemox helps as well

before that i used ethanol and 1/3 pg

Sliceofbread

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
it dissolves in ethanol and un-dissolves in water..if you add water the powder re-appears as flakes

so anything that has enough ethanol and very little water. PG has no effect so its ok to add ...but not good to the skin and has some side effects such as being ototoxic, and PG makes hair greasy

I have been using Neogenic or the garnier green bottle cheaper version - works fine and stemox helps as well

Thanks for help. Do you use Kane for both?

Nostro100

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I just checked K&B ingredients: 27% Demineralized water, 63% Ethanol (96%), 5% K&B emulsifiers

kashmoney

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

How have you been holding up with RU? Recently finasteride stopped working for me and I've been steadily losing ground these past 2 months. Have been considering RU since I don't really have any other option at this point. Also would it mix in minoxidil well?

Recon_s

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just look at the state of my hair while on RU for 10 months vs 3 months on finasteride it’s night and day that’s solid proof not many success stories of RU out there sounds great on paper just like Daro but practically it don’t work

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score

@el_duterino do in theory if RU fundraising work on a few applications it isn’t going to work? I had a good slow down after 2 weeks, went to hell 2 months later.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
RU is garbage. Only person I've heard of who got positive results was @hellouser and his results were average at best.

furrydome

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
PG has no effect so its ok to add ...but not good to the skin and has some side effects such as being ototoxic

PSA: Propylene Glycol is toxic to the inner ear. Gonna be fun in a few decades when the people now blowing sick vape clouds start going deaf in middle age.

RU is garbage. Only person I've heard of who got positive results was @hellouser and his results were average at best.

Lots of people claimed at least maintenance with RU... off the top of my head: @IdealForehead, @el_duterino, maybe @hemingway_the_mercenary? It (and similar drugs) are without question making my regrowth more effective. Not that they're safe, but they do work.