RIKEN Announcement: Succeeded in Developing Tech for HF Regenerative Medicine: Study to be Published Feb 10

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Look guys, i will try saying it again.

I'm happy Tsuji is still in this fight and he made an important step in the right direction. That's the tone I'm finishing with as of now.

I promise that I WILL resist the temptation to reply to every gullible non sense I read here, for the greater good.

We need just a little more patience but good times are coming guys, and this is what matters. Go Tsuji, go Stemson :)

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Corona?

Incidentally, the article was submitted in May 2020. Accepted in Dezember 2020 and now published.

Unfortunately only on mice. Monkeys with human cells would be great
Interesting. Nice catch. I wonder why Organ couldn't raise additional funding on those findings. Hair cloning is hard hard stuff

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This serves as a cautionary tale for Stemson. They should make CRAZY efforts to raise as much money they can while they have momentum on their side. You never know when you are going to hit a road block with this kind of research.

jan_miezda

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
This serves as a cautionary tale for Stemson. They should make CRAZY efforts to raise as much money they can while they have momentum on their side. You never know when you are going to hit a road block with this kind of research.
the really good thing is the published research by tsuji will help stemson derive human EC cells. now they know the important membrane protein markers and the culture conditions needed.

Tsuji really said 2020 was the goal from his own mouth https://www.gov-online.go.jp/eng/publicity/book/hlj/html/201810/201810_10_en.html

Last edited:

jan_miezda

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did anyone notice Riken official Twitter retweeted the announcement but then deleted it. That’s suspicious

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There are too much idiots on internet. Why disappointment?

This research done by RIKEN and Tsuji is groundbreaking for hair loss industry. What did we know about hair loss 20 years ago? Basically nothing.

Now we have more than 10 companies working to cure hair loss and every year we have more than 10 papers published in scientific journals regarding Androgenic Alopecia. Failure doesn’t mean always bad things. From failures we learn what works and what not works in science.

The only bad thing about science and hair cloning in general is that stem cells/iPSCs are still very expensive to produce and expand them with same quality. Companies are working to produce technology for massive production of stem cells, but that it will take a while.

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score

A recipe for regenerating bioengineered hair​

February 10, 2021

Researchers at the RIKEN Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research in Japan have discovered a recipe for continuous cyclical regeneration of cultured hair follicles from hair follicle stem cells.

Scientists have been making waves in recent years by developing ways to grow a variety of useful items in laboratories, from meat and diamonds to retinas and other organoids. At the RIKEN Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research in Japan, a team led by Takashi Tsuji has been working on ways to regenerate lost hair from stem cells. In an important step, a new study identifies a population of hair follicle stem cells in the skin and a recipe for normal cyclical regeneration in the lab.

The researchers took fur and whisker cells from mice and cultured them in the laboratory with other biological "ingredients". They used 220 combinations of ingredients, and found that combining a type of collagen with five factors--the NFFSE medium--led to the highest rate of stem cell amplification in the shortest period of time..

Hair growth in mammals is a continuous cyclical process in which hair grows, falls out, and is grown again. Growth occurs in the anagen phase and hair falls out in the telogen phase. Thus, a successful hair-regeneration treatment must produce hair that recycles. To test whether stem cells cultured in the NFFSE medium produce hair that cycles, the researchers placed bioengineered hair follicle stem cells in NFFSE medium or in medium missing one of the ingredients and observed the regenerated hair for several weeks. They found 81% of hair follicles generated in NFFSE medium went through at least three hair cycles and produced normal hair. In contrast, 79% of follicles grown in the other medium produced only one hair cycle.

Knowing that stem-cell renewal can depend on what is attached to the outside of the cells, the researchers next looked for markers on the surface of cells cultured in the NFFSE medium. In addition to the expected CD34 and CD49f markers, they found the best hair cycling was related to the addition of Itgβ5. "We found almost 80% of follicles reached three hair cycles when Itgβ5 was also bioengineered into the hair follicle germ," explains first author Makoto Takeo. "In contrast, only 13% reached three cycles when it was not present." Analysis showed that these important cells are naturally located in the upper part of the hair follicle's bulge region.

"Our culture system establishes a method for cyclical regeneration of hair follicles from hair follicle stem cells," says Tsuji, "and will help make hair follicle regeneration therapy a reality in the near future." As preclinical animal-safety tests using these cultured cells were completed in 2019, the next step in the process is clinical trials.

"RIKEN is primarily an institute that does basic research," explains Tsuji. "And clinical trials usually require outside collaborators. We are therefore looking for a partner company to help develop the clinical applications and welcome donations to promote the R&D."
-end-
The article, "Expansion and characterization of epithelial stem cells with potential for cyclical hair regeneration," was published in Scientific Reports at DOI: https//:doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-80624-3.

RIKEN

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm surprised there are people here so optimistic about Tsuji. All Riken did was release another redundant mouse study with stuff we assumed they had figured out years ago to hype themselves up for investors again, and that implies that's all they have to show for the past few years. Hair cloning is a huge challenge and all but 3+ years and they figured out how to get hair to survive for three cycles in mice, whoop de doo.

It might not even hold true that it's better for them to be in the hair cloning race than not, as they could just be a cleverly disguised scam stealing resources from other companies actually trying to find a cure.

I'm as desperate for a cure as anyone else here but it's obvious that they're very very far away from a cure, if they're even seriously working on one.

Last edited:

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm surprised there are people here so optimistic about Tsuji. All Riken did was release another redundant mouse study with stuff we assumed they had figured out years ago to hype themselves up for investors again, and that implies that's all they have to show for the past few years. Hair cloning is a huge challenge and all but 3+ years and they figured out how to get hair to survive for three cycles in mice, whoop de doo.

It might not even hold true that it's better for them to be in the hair cloning race than not, as they could just be a cleverly disguised scam stealing resources from other companies actually trying to find a cure.

I'm as desperate for a cure as anyone else here but it's obvious that they're very very far away from a cure, if they're even seriously working on one.
It’s like you fell out of the dumb tree and hit all the branches on the way down.

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
I hope the Japanese Govt gets this over the line soon just so we don’t have to read entire pages of you fanboying (creaming) over stemson and dissing on everything else.

And by read, I mean read over / skip.

MrV88

My Regimen
Reaction score
"just" 4.8mil for such a treatment? Couldn't be that hard to find someone for cloning hair and teeth for this amount, still interesting that Organ didn't make it till now in this context.

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Somehow I feel like the research is only half done. Either because there is not enough money or no more solutions were found
Yeah, that seems blatantly obvious considering how they kept posting years old material on their Twitter and hyping everyone up with a big announcement only to show success in mice...again.

FollicleGuardian

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The thing with Tsuji/Riken I don’t get is this. He says the model is ready to deploy for clinical trials in humans. Well, he/riken atleast has the money to do a successful cloning in just 1(!) human. By doing that it’s much easier to get a partner on board. But no he has to collect million on millions of dollars to test it out. Makes me skeptical, and doubtful this will ever get to market.

Also, the donation thing just makes the whole thing ridiculous really.. :(

FollicleGuardian

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Riken also need to give incentives for us men to donate to them. The men who donate needs to be prioritized in the treatment queue.

MrV88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Use the guys from the Forum, 10k people equals to a laughable amount of 480$ per Person for the 4.8mil and you get your clinical trials subjects did they forgot a or some zeroes or how's this even possible?

frank33

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I'm surprised by people not being so optimistic.
I don't know if it's clear enough: they did it.
They managed to create hair that 80% of the times complete 3 or more cycles, that grow in the right direction, pigmented and natural looking.
Hair cloning is a thing.
Can't believe how much undervalued this findings are!

czecha

My Regimen
Reaction score
You can cosmetically cure male pattern baldness but have to ask for a 5 million donation? Jfl, they could get 5 billion out of investors if they were convincing