RIKEN Announcement: Succeeded in Developing Tech for HF Regenerative Medicine: Study to be Published Feb 10

Tom4362

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
チームによると、脱毛症患者に移植し安全性と効果を確かめる臨床研究の準備が既にできているという。ただ、実施予定だったベンチャー企業が新型コロナなどの影響で事業を停止したため、10日から協力企業や寄付金の募集を開始した。辻孝チームリーダーは「一刻も早く実用化し、脱毛に悩む人たちの生活の質を向上させたい」と話している。
Exactly

MrV88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Posted on Twitter

proved in mice and should work in humans, have fun, 5 more years

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
I hope I can maintain my hair for 10-15 years so then there's hopefully a "cure" around that time :(

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're conflating so many things, Riken is partially government funded.

Organ technologies recieved govement funding via the partnership with Riken (who founded it as a subsidiary).. When corona hit there's no doubt that the government had to offset allocation of funds and its more than likely that this would have been affected.

The notion that they hit a hurdle and just gave up and closed shop is nonsensical, the majority of r&d and pre-clinicals is to overcome obstacles. You don't just give up when you hit them.

Also ready for human trials means that they're ready for them, not that they've got the funding and are starting them. If Stemson was ready to start clinical trials, they would announce it in hopes of securing additional funding.
You are talking about things you don't know.

1. Organ had private investors.
2. Organ failed because the research failed.
3. If you say you are ready to start clinical trials but also need to secure capital, partners etc. etc. before first then you are not ready, no matter your excuse.

I'm sick of those BS. Back in 2016 they said they solved (or were really close to) solving the cell amplification problem. In 2018 they announced they started pre clinical studies. In 2019 Tsuji in a presentation allegedly said everything was fine and even gave us a ball park of how much the treatment would cost. In April 2020 Tsuji left the company and it goes bankrupt, he refuses to give any explanation for like a year.

Now they admit they didn't solve the amplification back then, only now they have a solution. Show us a small study in mice. Blame on Corona what happened with Organ. Claim to be ready to start clinical trials with no clinical studies being successfully done, also ask for donations and partners.

Reading between the lines, they are going for a hail mary strategy now. I wish them the best of luck, but I know that successfully doing hair cloning in humans is a HUGE challenge and trying to do it in an unstructured way will harm their odds of making it work.

GotHair?

Established Member
Reaction score
I have to say that this means they did the preclinical studies. Now they are ready to proceed to human trials which is great.
However they need funding to proceed. Which is not good. So when are they going to start in humans? When they get the money. Could take few months could take year or two...

MrV88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Next step is to start clinical trials...in what? hopefully not mice again, maybe next step pigs? best case scenario they start human trials and rich people can participate after a specific time due to Japanese fast approvement etc

jan_miezda

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
“The research results were published in the scientific journal Scientific Reports on the 10th. In 2012, the team created an organ that is the source of the "hair follicle" that produces hair by culturing mouse cells. When transplanted to a hairless mouse, it was confirmed that hair grows from the mouse. Now by culturing human cells, we succeeded in increasing one hair follicle about 100 times this time. Furthermore, the team found cells that were particularly necessary for hair to grow repeatedly. We found that cells with specific proteins on the surface hold the key to repeated hair growth. These cells were also found in natural hair follicles.”

frank33

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Next step is to start clinical trials...in what? hopefully not mice again, maybe next step pigs? best case scenario they start human trials and rich people can participate after a specific time due to Japanese fast approvement etc
Clinical trials for definition happen in humans

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Tenascin, Expression of tenascins around embryonic tooth buds

Teeh and hair have similarities regarding tenascin

Another player in the puzzle

Cymro27

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
but only 80 percent of the hair after 3 rounds. Who knows it looks like after three years?
80% regenerated for 3 cycles or more.
Mouse hair cycle about 3 weeks.
Human hair cycle about 5-7 years (according to that article).
If it translates to 3 human cycles, that's 15 years of hairs.
But as we've all seen before success in mice doesn't always translate to success in humans.

The big take away is that they've identified exactly what cells are needed for growth.. rather than just hoping dermal papilla or sheath cells alone will be sufficient to induce growth.

Gegen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Tenascin, Expression of tenascins around embryonic tooth buds

Teeh and hair have similarities regarding tenascin

Another player in the puzzle
Interesting paper. Thanks for share it.