RIKEN Announcement: Succeeded in Developing Tech for HF Regenerative Medicine: Study to be Published Feb 10

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Could they cut a lot of corners and jump directly from mouse to humans? They could, and I actually wish for it. But I'm not getting my hopes up about the outcome if that happens.

jan_miezda

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
This would mean that yadonkey was right!
“On the 10th, research teams such as RIKEN announced that they have developed a regeneration technology that cultivates hair cells collected from mice, grows them in large quantities, and transplants them into the skin of mice to regenerate them periodically. did. Until now, the mechanism of re-growth was unknown, but the cells essential for re-growth and the optimal culture conditions were identified and realized. They are also ready for clinical research on humans

Animal hair is made by an organ called the root hair follicle, and mouse hair grows in a cycle of about 3 weeks and human hair grows in a cycle of 5 to 7 years. So far, the team has succeeded in experiments to grow hair by culturing the cells that are the source of hair collected from mouse hair follicles and transplanting them into the skin to create new hair follicles.

The team individually cultivated cells that are the source of hair of multiple types, and found that cells near the surface of the skin were essential for the formation of hair follicles. In addition, we compared about 220 nutritional components given during culturing and clarified the conditions under which the ability to make hair follicles lasts the longest. When a large amount of these cells were cultured and transplanted under these conditions, about 80% of the formed hair follicles were regenerated three times or more.”

this is what we were expecting

frank33

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Could they cut a lot of corners and jump directly from mouse to humans? They could, and I actually wish for it. But I'm not getting my hopes up about the outcome if that happens.
Yes, they can, but this article doesen't fully convince me.

Incredible news btw

Tom4362

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

jan_miezda

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
About organ technologies. They already commented that it hurt there timeline:

“According to the team, they are already ready for clinical studies to transplant into patients with alopecia to confirm their safety and efficacy. However, since the venture company that was scheduled to be implemented stopped its business due to the influence of the new corona, etc., it started soliciting cooperating companies and donations from the 10th. Team leader Takashi Tsuji said, "I want to put it to practical use as soon as possible and improve the quality of life for people suffering from hair loss."

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
“On the 10th, research teams such as RIKEN announced that they have developed a regeneration technology that cultivates hair cells collected from mice, grows them in large quantities, and transplants them into the skin of mice to regenerate them periodically. did. Until now, the mechanism of re-growth was unknown, but the cells essential for re-growth and the optimal culture conditions were identified and realized. They are also ready for clinical research on humans”

this is what we were expecting
In that case, this is amazing!!!! I think we need a proper interpretation of the implications of this study before making judgements about progress.
I still believe that speculating about the status of the company is pointless as they are things that we dont know and are beyond Tsuji's control. Theres a lot of bureacracy that we have little insight about. Id stave away from putting a timeline on anything but the study speaks for itself.

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
チームによると、脱毛症患者に移植し安全性と効果を確かめる臨床研究の準備が既にできているという。ただ、実施予定だったベンチャー企業が新型コロナなどの影響で事業を停止したため、10日から協力企業や寄付金の募集を開始した。辻孝チームリーダーは「一刻も早く実用化し、脱毛に悩む人たちの生活の質を向上させたい」と話している。
"According to the team, they are already ready for clinical studies to transplant into patients with alopecia to confirm their safety and efficacy. However, since the venture company that was scheduled to be implemented stopped its business due to the influence of the new corona, etc., it started soliciting cooperating companies and donations from the 10th. Team leader Takashi Tsuji said, "I want to put it to practical use as soon as possible and improve the quality of life for people suffering from hair loss."

So they are trying to save face saying Organ closed because of the rona. Lol, ok

And then they say they are "ready" for human clinical trials but then beg for money and partners (but according to Pegasus, Riken was so rich that Tsuji didn't have to raise any funds lololol)

But ok, good that they are going to try clinical trials in some way, even it if they are going to cut a lot of corners and it's going to be a weak attempt. Better than nothing.

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
これらの細胞を大量に培養し移植したところ、形成した毛包の約80%が3回以上、生え替わった。

Sounds negativ,e ?
Im confident sure these trials weren't meant for optimization but to prove the possibility of hypothesis. So Id say not bad news at all.

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wait, so the newly transplanted follicles will most likely stop producing hair after 3 cycles? Did I understand that correctly??

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're conflating so many things, Riken is partially government funded.

Organ technologies recieved govement funding via the partnership with Riken (who founded it as a subsidiary).. When corona hit there's no doubt that the government had to offset allocation of funds and its more than likely that this would have been affected.

The notion that they hit a hurdle and just gave up and closed shop is nonsensical, the majority of r&d and pre-clinicals is to overcome obstacles. You don't just give up when you hit them.

Also ready for human trials means that they're ready for them, not that they've got the funding and are starting them. If Stemson was ready to start clinical trials, they would announce it in hopes of securing additional funding.
I agree with yadonkey here. Furthermore, potential investors will be much more apprehensive due to COVID so RIKENs excuses are very valid. Human trials are naturally the next step since theyre technology is proven in mice. Further optimization in the mice model, in my opinion, will not trump that of the human model. So they would not be cutting corners.