RIKEN Announcement: Succeeded in Developing Tech for HF Regenerative Medicine: Study to be Published Feb 10

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Please show me a biotech startup that doesn't require funding for every new round of studies. Not a single one of these companies has money until they commercialize a product.

This isn't going bankrupt, and it isn't starting from scratch.
Organ went bankrupt.

They can't do much now without a new partner and a a fresh new injection of money. They need money they don't already have.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
I do know what phase 1 is, it still have different timelines. And they still need to see for how long it works. Sure you can do a short period but if you are looking into for how long it works, then it makes no sense to do a short period. Its not a topical they are doing. So the effects could be different and show later.

If we use Replicel as an example for human trails, they did a check up at 6 months and 24 months. It would be beyond amazing that Riken did it at 3 months and closed phase 1
Of course they will be scheduling follow ups for something like this, but that doesn't mean they can't move to phase 2 trials within that time frame.

MeDK

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Of course they will be scheduling follow ups for something like this, but that doesn't mean they can't move to phase 2 trials within that time frame.
they need a conclusion from phase 1 before they can move on to phase 2.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Organ went bankrupt.

They can't do much now without a new partner and a a fresh new injection of money. They need money they don't already have.
Fine with me. If the science in that paper is legit they will get funding and a partner if required. I wasn't very hyped on this at all because of the lack of published studies, now that they have one and pending peer review, this is actually a "real" thing.

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Fine with me. If the science in that paper is legit they will get funding and a partner if required. I wasn't very hyped on this at all because of the lack of published studies, now that they have one and pending peer review, this is actually a "real" thing.
Agreed.

There were people here saying that they wouldn't need money or partners because Riken was just a powerhouse and blablabla. Nothing further from the truth as per their press release.

The main objective of they hyping this study up is because they need money and a new business partner.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wonder how the scientists want to judge that? There were only a few pages where they say they solved the problem. How does a scientist know if this is true? (Question out of curiosity)
That would just be a press release. The study would be published in a scientific journal. I'm sure it says somewhere in the release which one.

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
can someone estimate how much money is needed?
It depends on the scale of the trials they are planing to do. If they are planing a small one that works more like a proof of concept thing it won't cost much. Hard to guess a number though.

Also, the stain on their records caused by what happened at Organ will not make things easier to raise funds. Still prossible though.

jan_miezda

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Agreed.

There were people here saying that they wouldn't need money or partners because Riken was just a powerhouse and blablabla. Nothing further from the truth as per their press release.

The main objective of they hyping this study up is because they need money and a new business partner.
They improved their cell processing method much more from the publication before.
“This update apparently represents a substantial improvement on their past work. The Riken team managed to multiply hair bulge-derived cells 4,000 times from one hair follicle. Dermal papilla cells were amplified in vitro about 100 times, so that from one hair follicle they could create 100 hair follicles. Key quote: “We have made great strides toward the realization of clinical application of hair follicle regeneration medicine.”

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
They improved their cell processing method much more from the publication before.
“This update apparently represents a substantial improvement on their past work. The Riken team managed to multiply hair bulge-derived cells 4,000 times from one hair follicle. Dermal papilla cells were amplified in vitro about 100 times, so that from one hair follicle they could create 100 hair follicles. Key quote: “We have made great strides toward the realization of clinical application of hair follicle regeneration medicine.”
Yea, I mean their last published study on that subject was 9 years ago. One would expect they would show some improvement by now.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
It depends on the scale of the trials they are planing to do. If they are planing a small one that works more like a proof of concept thing it won't cost much. Hard to guess a number though.

Also, the stain on their records caused by what happened at Organ will not make things easier to raise funds. Still prossible though.
It'd still be several million for staffing, equipment, etc etc. It's defiantly a small trial, though. Most phase 1 trails are under 20 people.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
doesn't sound like much to me now. They want to treat 10,000 people a year. If they each make a profit of 10,000 euros per person, that would be 100 million.
That's just for phase 1 trials. Much higher for full phase 2/3.

MeDK

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
doesn't sound like much to me now. They want to treat 10,000 people a year. If they each make a profit of 10,000 euros per person, that would be 100 million.
Its a lot of millions if all you do is research for years if not decades, and you only get profits if it actually can be commercialized. (its a big risk, with a big profit) But is requires people have money to put into it, and even more money if they need to apply for patents and so on.

jan_miezda

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did tsuji ever announce himself he was planning on doing trials in 2020? Or what that something made up? I can’t find it

this is his first true time now saying they are ready for clinical trials

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The irony of you telling people they are talking about things they don't understand is hilarious.

Also, just because Organ had private investors doesn't mean it wasn't mainly funded by the government - odds are the investments were coming from partners such as Kyocera. Also if you lose the majority of your funding, don't be surprised if sh*t hits the fan.

The difference between you and I, is that I know I'm not an expert. You think you are, despite not even knowing that the cells had to be cultured in vitro.

So now you're expert in tissue engineering, business and clinical trial strategy! surprised you haven't came up with the cure, patented it, gained funding, devised and completed trials all by yourself!

Just admit it, you have no idea what you're talking about - its as if you have an inferiority complex which makes you act like you know (when you don't) all while regurgitating information you've read but don't fully understand.
oh man you are trying to complicate and become philosophical about something that is so simple

Organ is a private company that had to close shop because the research failed, not because the corona virus. It's simple as that.

Tom4362

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
oh man you are trying to complicate and become philosophical about something that is so simple

Organ is a private company that had to close shop because the research failed, not because the corona virus. It's simple as that.
You keep telling the same sh*t while we now have a new paper and confirmation that human trials will start soon. What is it that you want exactly?

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I say Organ failed, which made Tsuji start looking for funding and partners again, which is a relevant setback, and that's completely understandable, and people get mad a me lol I don't get what's so blasphemous about that?