Really Want To Take Finasteride But Horrified Of The Sides

Jack Burt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello, I am 20 years old and I am in the very early phases of diffuse thinning in my hairline area. Barely noticeable if not in the bathroom mirror under bright lights. I would really like to go on finasteride to freeze my hair loss but I have seen so many people, in threads here too, report bad side effects like depression and persistent erectyle dysfunction. It makes me think that the statistics claiming that only 2-3% of people on finasteride are effected by sides are false. It sounds more like a 50-50 to me, I don’t know. I am in a relationship so sexual issues would cause a lot of problems in my life. Is it worth the risk?

Attachments

• 52784436-59E3-4989-8FA4-4888408010FA.jpeg
    52784436-59E3-4989-8FA4-4888408010FA.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 581

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you're horrified of finasteride dont ever use it. You will develop PFS (Post Finasteride Syndrome).

Jack Burt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you're horrified of finasteride dont ever use it. You will develop PFS (Post Finasteride Syndrome).
Doesn’t developing pfs have to do with your hormones getting screwed up? Damage to neurosteroids that can cause depression and damage to hormones that affect libido? I mean I could get nocebo but not pfs.

megadyptes

My Regimen
Reaction score
Chances of sides are pretty low, and in most cases reversible by stopping the medication or subside after continued use. However, you should take care if you want to have children in the future and there is still a chance of persistent side effects.

But is it really worth going on finasteride if there is no visible hair loss? I'd say wait until you know for sure you are balding or at least visit an expert to evaluate your situation. Just consult your Doctor.

Jack Burt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Chances of sides are pretty low, and in most cases reversible by stopping the medication or subside after continued use. However, you should take care if you want to have children in the future and there is still a chance of persistent side effects.

But is it really worth going on finasteride if there is no visible hair loss? I'd say wait until you know for sure you are balding or at least visit an expert to evaluate your situation. Just consult your Doctor.
my train of thought is that since I have some mild miniaturization at the hairline area and some inches backwards that I should tackle the problem before the diffuse thinning becomes noticeable, meaning that if I tackle this early I can have the best results. Losing my libido though would be much more catastrophic than losing my hair. I can live without hair, not without my sexual health.

Jack Burt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I had a scalp scan with a microscope and I am thinning

megadyptes

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why not try minoxidil first then? It has shown to be effective in some people for quite some time; couple of years. If you do try finasteride: perhaps you could consider a low dose of finasteride (around 0.05mg - 0.2mg) to lessen the chances of adverse effects. However, consult a dermatologist, they should know.

Jack Burt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Consult a dermatologist, they should know. Why not try minoxidil first then? If you do try finasteride: perhaps you could consider a low dose of finasteride (around 0.05mg - 0.2mg) to lessen the chances of adverse effects.
is it true that minoxidil can make all the hair follicles dependent, even the healthy ones that might naturally die in years from now? Also a reason I am hesitant about using minoxidil for hair is the shedding phase, I have been growing my hair out for a year and a half and would not like to lose all my progress. Of course losing progress but having healthier hair is more important. Another issue is that I have been using minoxidil to thicken up my facial hair (for three months and I still have to use it for at least six more months to see how well it works so using it for my hair too, at this moment, would mean I would be applying 4mg a day

megadyptes

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've never read somewhere that healthy follicles become dependent on minoxidil (but if someone has a source, please do provide it to me). Most of the claims are made by people that are scared it does, or its nature is anecdotal. However, you use minoxidil for the long run, you should only start if you are dedicated to it and intend to keep using it.

Shedding phase sucks, but trust me, I've got like this very long curly hair and even though I shedded a lot, never did it become "visible". As in, I have been growing it out since I was like a kid ;-) But yeah, my hair covers my temples, so it's not noticeable (yet, yikes).

4mg is a lot though, not sure if it is wise to use even more to be honest. I mean, recommended dosage is 1mg, so using four times that already... I don't know. Maybe slap a little less on the face and more on the hairline?

By the way, for me at least, finasteride does seem to slow down facial hair growth (in fact, finasteride is sometimes prescribed to women with excess bodily hair growth.) So it's not like finasteride wouldn't set you back.

Jack Burt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've never read somewhere that healthy follicles become dependent on minoxidil (but if someone has a source, please do provide it to me). Most of the claims are made by people that are scared it does, or its nature is anecdotal. However, you use minoxidil for the long run, you should only start if you are dedicated to it and intend to keep using it.

Shedding phase sucks, but trust me, I've got like this very long curly hair and even though I shedded a lot, never did it become "visible". As in, I have been growing it out since I was like a kid ;-) But yeah, my hair covers my temples, so it's not noticeable (yet, yikes).

4mg is a lot though, not sure if it is wise to use even more to be honest. I mean, recommended dosage is 1mg, so using four times that already... I don't know. Maybe slap a little less on the face and more on the hairline?

By the way, for me at least, finasteride does seem to slow down facial hair growth (in fact, finasteride is sometimes prescribed to women with excess bodily hair growth.) So it's not like finasteride wouldn't set you back.
Well the instructions say use 2mg, 2half caps of minoxidil per day. So by using 4mg I would be using twice the recommended dosage, which obviously is still quite risky. What I have though of is to give the facial hair nine more months, or 12 if the results aren’t satisfying, and then start using it one the head. My thinning seems to be happening quite slowly since I first noticed a difference in a density four years ago, at sixteen. That means that in one year I probably won’t have lost too much hair, but with hair loss you never know.

megadyptes

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well the instructions say use 2mg, 2half caps of minoxidil per day. So by using 4mg I would be using twice the recommended dosage, which obviously is still quite risky. What I have though of is to give the facial hair nine more months, or 12 if the results aren’t satisfying, and then start using it one the head. My thinning seems to be happening quite slowly since I first noticed a difference in a density four years ago, at sixteen. That means that in one year I probably won’t have lost too much hair, but with hair loss you never know.

Good idea, I hope it works out for you!

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you take it make sure you get bloods before hand. I had sides on finasteride and had i put them on here people would have said PFS. For me it was my prolactin and E were way out from my own homeostasis.

Dont think bloods during and after finasteride will suffice because natural 'range' doesn't mean sh*t when you're trying to work out whats normal for you as an individual.

I now still take finasteride but manage me E and Prolactin and have no sides.

Jack Burt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you take it make sure you get bloods before hand. I had sides on finasteride and had i put them on here people would have said PFS. For me it was my prolactin and E were way out from my own homeostasis.

Dont think bloods during and after finasteride will suffice because natural 'range' doesn't mean sh*t when you're trying to work out whats normal for you as an individual.

I now still take finasteride but manage me E and Prolactin and have no sides.
so before taking accutane one should take general blood tests in order to know what is going on with their body and what could be affected while on finasteride. makes sense

Jack Burt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
well i
have seen many videos with absolutely normal people describing their pfs, I believe that it’s just some very unlucky people