Reality check for bald or balding folks here

not_bald

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I read all your replies. I just wanted to share and not to preach. There is no text that can magically shift one’s beliefs when he’s predisposed to ignore anything contradictory. Medication under the care of a psychiatrist can help kickstart the healing process and yes, they carry their side effects. As does this ridiculous obsession over baldness, self-loathing, medication, future cures and putting all your life on hold over this. It’s your choice, your life. I only wanted to share because I’ve been though it all, I’m a high Norwood and I just shave my head once a week.

If your looks is the leading factor to make decisions, you will find it very difficult out there. Looks deteriorate every day and can be even in a split second. Instead of fighting the inevitable, focus on other areas of yourself that can be much more rewarding than a few strands of hair, both short and long term.

It won’t be easy. It won’t happen in a day.

justinbieberscombover

My Regimen
Reaction score
Realizing that you are worth more than your hair is not incompatible with nevertheless wanting to preserve it as much as you can.
Everybody is different. I know someone who went to NW7 in his early twenties and never had any problems accepting the fact. That is great. But for other people it’s more in their nature to want to go down fighting. For me it is.

And, speaking as a woman, no psychiatrist in the world could ever convince me to abandon treatments and go for antidepressants instead.

For a lot of people, being on this forum and looking into treatments will also be a necessary step towards some kind of acceptance.
Beautifully said! All of my friends and family fully understand it. Absolutely no one ever tells me to just shave it bro. That's some Internet meme bullshit.

justinbieberscombover

My Regimen
Reaction score
I read all your replies. I just wanted to share and not to preach. There is no text that can magically shift one’s beliefs when he’s predisposed to ignore anything contradictory. Medication under the care of a psychiatrist can help kickstart the healing process and yes, they carry their side effects. As does this ridiculous obsession over baldness, self-loathing, medication, future cures and putting all your life on hold over this. It’s your choice, your life. I only wanted to share because I’ve been though it all, I’m a high Norwood and I just shave my head once a week.

If your looks is the leading factor to make decisions, you will find it very difficult out there. Looks deteriorate every day and can be even in a split second. Instead of fighting the inevitable, focus on other areas of yourself that can be much more rewarding than a few strands of hair, both short and long term.

I asked a lady friend if I should buzz my head and she replied with: "NOOOOOO!!". LOL

I also used to take antidepressants and long term they didn't do much except lowering my sex drive.

NAVI

Established Member
Reaction score

Many acid attacks victims have killed themselves over change in looks .would you go and tell them disfiguration is nothing . Because It is not. And people commit suicide because of disfiguration because its life changing because it affects self esteem in a huge way. Physical attraction is a major component of our self esteem and as humans we worry about how we look. In fact baldness has been considered an issue since time immemorial. People get wrinkles grey hair but baldness is a different animal. And it's the degree of change of face it causes. Some thinning is acceptable but complete baldness can get the strongest of strings on antidepressants.

Catagen

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

You wouldn't be saying that if you were a high norwood at 17 lets say. There are good reasons to delay your hair loss until your 30's at least. How many men do shave their head slick bald when they are 18 - 21 because they are NW4+ or extremely diffused, almost none. I do see some guys around 25 being NW3+ but its still very rare and dont have to shave it and im not sure if I ever saw a student with only a horseshoe left. Also death is inevitable, you might as well kill yourself now, you are just hanging on to existing. Hair loss even ruined you, you had to get a psychiatrist, then he deluded you.

justinbieberscombover

My Regimen
Reaction score
Many acid attacks victims have killed themselves over change in looks .would you go and tell them disfiguration is nothing . Because It is not. And people commit suicide because of disfiguration because its life changing because it affects self esteem in a huge way. Physical attraction is a major component of our self esteem and as humans we worry about how we look. In fact baldness has been considered an issue since time immemorial. People get wrinkles grey hair but baldness is a different animal. And it's the degree of change of face it causes. Some thinning is acceptable but complete baldness can get the strongest of strings on antidepressants.
Look no further than Lebron James. One of the most successful athletes in the world, a living legend admired by millions and he's a Toppik prisoner.

justinbieberscombover

My Regimen
Reaction score
You wouldn't be saying that if you were a high norwood at 17 lets say. There are good reasons to delay your hair loss until your 30's at least. How many men do shave their head slick bald when they are 18 - 21 because they are NW4+ or extremely diffused, almost none. I do see some guys around 25 being NW3+ but its still very rare and dont have to shave it and im not sure if I ever saw a student with only a horseshoe left. Also death is inevitable, you might as well kill yourself now, you are just hanging on to existing. Hair loss even ruined you, you had to get a psychiatrist, then he deluded you.
Yeah, I'm in my late 20's and only now I see some dudes my age starting to bald. Just starting so they still look OK. Those dudes already have memories from hanging out with hot girls, socializing, partying, getting one night stands. A lot of them have had the same girlfriend for some years now, maybe getting married. All I want is to reverse it and have 2-3 good years. I think (hope) it's not too late.

justinbieberscombover

My Regimen
Reaction score
Young bald dudes don't hit the clubs, they stay at home and look for a long term relationship through work and school. Except for the outliers who are like club promoters and have a huge social circle, and those usually run clown game (act like the funny/ridiculous guy).

NAVI

Established Member
Reaction score
Look no further than Lebron James. One of the most successful athletes in the world, a living legend admired by millions and he's a Toppik prisoner.
Even andre agassi wore wigs at a time nadal had a transplant Beckham is helpless about his hair loss many are opting hair transplants. Because hair matters.

Catagen

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm in my late 20's and only now I see some dudes my age starting to bald. Just starting so they still look OK. Those dudes already have memories from hanging out with hot girls, socializing, partying, getting one night stands. A lot of them have had the same girlfriend for some years now, maybe getting married. All I want is to reverse it and have 2-3 good years. I think (hope) it's not too late.
Imagine being 20 and slick bald. You will never hear the end of it because you are most likely the only bald person in your social circle for a long time and you will look 40 at 20.
Young bald dudes don't hit the clubs, they stay at home and look for a long term relationship through work and school. Except for the outliers who are like club promoters and have a huge social circle, and those usually run clown game (act like the funny/ridiculous guy).
Yeah only very tall guys with size can truly pull it off but even they are impacted.

Reality check will be that if you think you are going to start losing hair, its time to settle down and start a family ASAP. If I could go back in time, I wished I had not screwed around so much in my 20s with the great relationships I had. When I realized at 31 I was already a thinning NW2, I panicked and settled down and had a child with someone I probably wouldn't have.

Having a child does indeed eliminate the shame and dread of male pattern baldness, but I could have just done so much better (partner wise) if I was more aware and educated about this disease in my 20s.

That's pretty selfish, now if you have male kids they will likely have pattern baldness. You are just making more suffering like that.

Last edited:

goku_black

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

Psychiatric medications do not work you fool. Read about the placebo effect.

not_bald

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
- you have hair loss
- you will go bald
- you are worth more than your hair and looks
- there are people out there who appreciate more than just hair
- there are people out there with actual bad diseases, such as multiple sclerosis, or psychological diseases such as insomnia

There is no such thing as “cure”. You are just torturing yourself over nothing, in a marketing field that will only produce fancy lotions for the desperate ones.

You can be free from this. No one said it will be easy. It’s natural to tell me to go to hell as a first response.

Good luck

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why do you have to shave it? Why not just grow out whatever you still have? It's just hair bro, no point in being so insecure that you have to shave your head to try and hide the fact that you're losing hair. That's not really confidence, is it?
EXACTLY. It's funny because shaving and buzzing is a hell of a f*****g lot of work and is really just a way of camouflaging it lol

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

Meanwhile a full head gets a haircut once a month casually. And when they forget to get a haircut it's "lol looking a little caveman like har har" . Meanwhile when we do the same we look like we're 70

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
- you have hair loss
- you will go bald
- there are people out there with actual bad diseases, such as multiple sclerosis, or psychological diseases such as insomnia

There is no such thing as “cure”. You are just torturing yourself over nothing, in a marketing field that will only produce fancy lotions for the desperate ones.

You can be free from this. No one said it will be easy. It’s natural to tell me to go to hell as a first response.

Good luck
Insomnia you consider a real disease but not baldness? Lmao

justinbieberscombover

My Regimen
Reaction score
EXACTLY. It's funny because shaving and buzzing is a hell of a f*****g lot of work and is really just a way of camouflaging it lol
Yeah when I was buzzing it, it was hell.

Getting a quick haircut every 2-3 weeks for $14 is much easier.

- you have hair loss
- you will go bald

Good luck
"Just accept that you're disfigured and move on bro, it's that easy"

Catagen

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't wish my parents would have aborted me because of hair loss. It sucks a lot but there's more to life.
Its different because the guy does this knowingly and with a motive, a vast majority of guys are clueless about this and just go by their gut.
"Just accept that you're disfigured and move on bro, it's that easy"
In my opinion the guy is sort of right. Its unhealthy to be realistic about things, but id rather be mentally unhealthy than "healthy" and deluded like OP, which is a bad option to be honest. Most people who have good mental health are either living in blissful ignorance or they actually have things going for them or they have good coping mechanisms.

OP knows the truth every time he shaves his head and has to use "therapy" i.e. delusion to cope with the loss.

justinbieberscombover

My Regimen
Reaction score
Its different because the guy does this knowingly and with a motive, a vast majority of guys are clueless about this and just go by their gut.
I would put my sons onto finasteride from an early age. Maybe try to consult with a specialized doctor and find some hormonal therapy thing if they get sides. I believe that there'll be way better solutions until then though. We're talking 2 decades from now.

In my opinion the guy is sort of right. Its unhealthy to be realistic about things, but id rather be mentally unhealthy than "healthy" and deluded like OP, which is a bad option to be honest. Most people who have good mental health are either living in blissful ignorance or they actually have things going for them or they have good coping mechanisms.

OP knows the truth every time he shaves his head and has to use "therapy" i.e. delusion to cope with the loss.
Well if you're on this forum you're already the realistic type. He's preaching to deaf ears lol and I'm still pretty convinced that he's an attention seeking troll.

Honestly I'm a pretty reasonable guy. It's unlikely that I'll ever be completely bald which is a great thing. I'm gonna get one more transplant and then just deal with whatever hair I have left. Now that I'm older with a matured face, beard, muscles (which I'm currently working on, got a personal trainer 2x a week rapidly seeing growth).. having thin hair isn't that bad anymore but I just really need that low hairline.