Propecia

Design

Reaction score
Following up from what i was talking about in my above post i have done some very preliminary research and now my head is dizzy :)

Like i was talking to HairLossTalk.com about, i am looking for an alternative to minoxidil and was suggested to perhaps use Tricomin in addition to Propecia, however after having a short browse thorugh the proven and non proven treatments within this site, I liked the look of folligen cream because it says you only have to apply it 4 times a week and it is also costs less. I must say i like the sound of that. But is it effective? It says that it is good to use with minoxidil because it combats the skin irritation which minoxidil might cause.

Just how effective is Folligen when used on its own?

Design

G

Propecia vs. Topical spironolactone

Rocky and others who have used both Propecia and topical spironolactone. I have been on Propecia for about a year and have to admit that I think it has helped me regrow hair on the crown.

However, I also think I have some minor side effects; weight gain, slight loss of muscle tone, in spite of much exercise and stringent diet. Also, a bit less energy. Hey, it could be age too (53!).

Wondering what the experience might be if I drop propecia and add topical spironolactone. I would be fine if the status quo was maintained.

Opinions welcome. Research too!

Thanks

brucelee

richlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
how much weight did you gain bruce?

Any frontal growth? What Norwood were you before.. and have you jumped up at all? or is it only crown regrowth?

G

I don't know what Norwood I was, as I was never interested in that per se. Good crown fill in and fill in behind the hariline. No lowering of hariline though.

Brucelee

G

Re: weight gain about 10lbs. not a ton but given my routines, I don't think I should be gaining anything. As I said, may be a coincidence, so I dont' want to indict Propecia as if I knew it was a fact.

Brucelee

richlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bruce for answering the questions.

If i can just get my hair density up i'd be happy.. it's getting awfully thin now.. i don't care much about the hairline, i just need the thickness back.

How long did it take for you to see some results? Are things still improving?

G

How long did it take for you to see some results? Are things still improving?

Took about 4-6 months to actually see more hair back there. I believe it has continued to improve.

Brucelee.

Baldude

Reaction score
help please

Hi. After i've started losing hair (age 21) I began treatment with Propecia.
I am currently in my second month of treatment, and have some questions
about it:
1. Is it neccesary to combine an anti-inflammatory shampoo to my treatment,
and is it very expensive?
2. What are *really* my chances of regrowth and after what amount of time?
3. Is it possible to add Minoxidil to my treatment for a certain amount of
time, then after regrowth stop using it, and maintain it only with Propecia?
4. Since at the present my condition is not that bad, I started growing my
hair, and it looks quite good and somewhat covers the parts I don't wish to
expose. Does it affect the treatment if I don't cut my hair?
5. Is it really possible to use a 1\5 amount of Proscar as a substitude to
Propecia? My skin doctor says she doesn't know about it so she can't
prescribe it to me. If so, is it possible to purchase it without a
prescription anywhere?
6. Are there preffered hours of consumation for Propecia? And is it
neccesary to use it at EXACTLY the same hour every day?
7. Went to cut my hair today, and my hairdresser told me dryness had a lot of effect on my shedding. She told me to start using a hair moisturing cream, and shampoo my hair less often than once a day. How much of this do you think is true?
8. Any tips about what would make my treatment more effective, and no-nos
about stuff I should avoid (hair conditioners?) would be highly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

willstar

Reaction score
More questions

I also have some questions about using Propecia....

1) Does anyone know where I can buy it in the UK?
2) UK based doctors seem clueless or reluctant to advise on it, anyone had the same experience?
3) I have questions such as what are the Dangers to a) my health now/longterm and b) if I want to have kids how will it effect them?

If no one can advise anyone know of any good sites I can get advise from people in the know??

Any help would be appreciated! 8O

StoneCold316

Reaction score
Balddude:

Anti-inflammatory shampoos are almost a must. if you have an itchy or irritated scalp, Propercia or any other treatment wont work as well. I recently began using Nizoral 1% regularly (2-3 times a week...I use Tgel and other mild shampoos on off days). big help so far, i even noticed a some regrowth on the crown the other day.

Nizoral 1% you canget OTC. If you need the 2% version, you will need a Rx for it. Tgel is available OTC as well.

Nizoral will dry out your hair and scalp somewhat. I highly recommend you use the Nizoral conditioner (or other conditioners) after the Nizoral shampoo.
I like the Nizoral conditioner cuz it rinses clean and doesnt weigh down the hair.

Cheers,

StoneCold316

Reaction score
Guys:

well I am thinking of takling the plunge and trying Propecia. I have wantedto avoid it by using Topicals but I dont think its been that effective.

Based on my reading, I think Iwill split the tabs in half (.5 mgs) as I am very worried about side effects.

any body else here on a lower dose?

hairbear

Reaction score
Should I Sheddn't I

I've been using Revivogen/Tricomin for over 1 year and I'm getting positive, but SLLLLOOOOWWWWW results. Should I add Propecia, or will I shed like crazy and regret it?

How come the Emoticons have NO hair!

straycat

Reaction score
jello c*m?

hi guys.
i know wattery semen is a propecia side effect but what about the opposite? i'm having jello-like semen (you know, like, when you don't have sex/masturbate for some time).
perhaps the opposite solution will be in order: increase the dosage (i take 1mg)?
anyway, i'm fine with it, no pain, no hassle, just wondering...
:roll:

halcyon

Reaction score
I thought t-gel and nizoral perfomed similar functions? You mean it wouldn't be rough on my hair and scalp if I used t-gel between nizoral days? I read the boxes in the pharmacy for t-gel and nizoral and both suggest using it for a certain period of time. To me, that almost suggests that you shouldn't use it continously for the rest of your life....

Any thoughts...?

Gatorfreak

Reaction score
StoneCold316 said:
Guys:

well I am thinking of takling the plunge and trying Propecia. I have wantedto avoid it by using Topicals but I dont think its been that effective.

Based on my reading, I think Iwill split the tabs in half (.5 mgs) as I am very worried about side effects.

any body else here on a lower dose?

I'm taking the half dosage (.5 mg). My doctor actually suggested that I might want to try that. She said that many of her patients have good success with the half dosage. I've only been on it about a month and a half so I can't say anything regarding results.

StoneCold316

Reaction score
Gator:

Thanks for the tip. ALthough it may be a bit early to see results, have you experienced any side effects??

Gatorfreak

Reaction score
StoneCold316 said:
Gator:

Thanks for the tip. ALthough it may be a bit early to see results, have you experienced any side effects??

The first two weeks or so I had an acne breakout and really oily skin. That has since completely gone away. I haven't noticed anything else.

willstar

Reaction score
Question for anyone who wants to give feed back

Hi,

I am considering the following regime.....

Minoxidil 5% in the evenings only (already using)
Propecia 1 mg daily (yet to buy)
Revivogen Shampoo every morning (yet to buy)
Some sort of face wash to prevent oily skin?

Has anyone tried the above?
Can I buy Propecia/Revivogen in the UK?

I have tried the Minoxidil and Revivogen in the past with limited success...Understand the Revivogen Shampoo does not work alone but it does make your hair feel a lot better!

Basically I am looking for the best treatment I can fit into my routine (aren't we call)

I am concerned about the side effects of Propecia, I am also a bit relectant to take it considering Daustride may be here soon? :cry:

If anyone at Hairlosstalk is interested I am willing to take pics for the site of my results...good or bad! But would like a bit more advise first....

Can you contact me?

I am based in the UK and the docs over here are pants at advising on hairloss......any feed back would be great!!!!!!

P.S something to make you all smile, my bald friend tells me that his bald head is a "Solar Pannel for a love machine" now he is never short of a woman thats for sure! - made me laugh.... :lol:

Looking forward to any feed back.... :roll:

Wills. :mrgreen:

G

Re: Question for anyone who wants to give feed back

willstar said:
Hi,

I am considering the following regime.....

Minoxidil 5% in the evenings only (already using)
Propecia 1 mg daily (yet to buy)
Revivogen Shampoo every morning (yet to buy)
Some sort of face wash to prevent oily skin?

Has anyone tried the above?
Can I buy Propecia/Revivogen in the UK?

I have tried the Minoxidil and Revivogen in the past with limited success...Understand the Revivogen Shampoo does not work alone but it does make your hair feel a lot better!

Basically I am looking for the best treatment I can fit into my routine (aren't we call)

I am concerned about the side effects of Propecia, I am also a bit relectant to take it considering Daustride may be here soon? :cry:

If anyone at Hairlosstalk is interested I am willing to take pics for the site of my results...good or bad! But would like a bit more advise first....

Can you contact me?

I am based in the UK and the docs over here are pants at advising on hairloss......any feed back would be great!!!!!!

P.S something to make you all smile, my bald friend tells me that his bald head is a "Solar Pannel for a love machine" now he is never short of a woman thats for sure! - made me laugh.... :lol:

Looking forward to any feed back.... :roll:

Wills. :mrgreen:

I would add Nizoral ever third day and swap NANO for Rev. Has Copper Peptides and NANO.

Brucelee

jtpal

Reaction score
I'm 24 and my hairline is starting to recede. I'm just interested in keeping the hair I have. I've read the last couple months of conversation and I have one question. Is anyone having positive results over a period of more than 2 years without any side effects on propecia? It seems like everyone has something to complain about it. If I take it and then start losing my hair in a couple years anyway, what's the point?