Propecia

jtpal

Reaction score
Avacor

I would also like to get everyone's opinion on Avacor. I can't find any information on this website about it. Just wondering if anyone has tried it.

kilimanjaro

Reaction score
Confused:

I am confused about whether Propecia and/or Proscar require prescriptions in the US. If not, can anyone recommend a place/website where I would get a good deal for these drugs?! I am tired of waiting for Dutasteride to come out. What is the best amount of Propecia pills to buy to get a decent bargain if I am just starting on the pills -- keeping in mind that Duta might be out in a few months. I assume one fourth that number is ideal if I buy Proscar?

I was also thinking that if Propecia works for me, I won't swith to Duta until the effects of Propecia start wearing out in a few years.

Thanks.

StoneCold316

Reaction score
Stone Cold here:

Well, I guess I have some bad news to report. I started Propecia just over a week ago and I started to experience some bad side effects..., some decreased libido but perhaps more annoying was soreness in my tit area. I really was bugging me. So I wrote Dr. Lee (who prescribed me the Propecia) and he told me it that the soreness is likely to continue. He advised that I stop using it and look into spironolactone and Xandrox/Azelaic acid.
as an alternative.

I am dissapointed cuz I thought the topicals werent doing the job: but it could have been that I may not have been applying then properly or whatever. They can be a pain..especially with longer hair.
I have tended to take weekends "off" from using topicals w/the exception of Rogaine..maybe that was the cause.

Has anyone else out there in my situation regarding Propecia side effects???

I would like to really give DHT and male pattern baldness a big " Stone Cold Stunner" but I guess Propecia isnt it. I didnt think the side affects would happen that quiick.

richlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Stone Cold, I'd give it some more time.

If anything , cut the dosage in half, but don't quit.

I dunno what's up with Lee lately.. he use to be a proponnent of sticking things out.. now everytime people complain about propecia side effects he just replies "Drop it and buy my products"..

I don't know if he's starting to get sick of people running and crying to him (I'm one of them), but I think his advice lately may not be as golden as it use to be.

Stick it out man, a week is nothing. Cut down the dosage if you have to.. but at least give propecia a full shot. Then you'll never wonder or regret quitting in the future.

G

StoneCOld

I backed down to .25 mg per day. Based on that one study, I feel that I still get some significant DHT suppres. and I have had the side effects that I was getting at 1mg disappear.

I am going to add some sprio to help with DHT suppres.

What do you think?

brucelee

Hairy Krishna

Reaction score
Propecia side effects

Stone Cold, you should hang in there for awhile with the Propecia. I also had side effects when I first started using Propecia, and Dr. Lee basically told me the same thing: quit using it and instead use Xandrox. My problem with that solution is that, although I've used Xandrox, I'm not completely convinced that Azelaic Acid actually inhibits DHT in humans. The experiments conducted thus far have only been in vitro. Anyhow, I stuck with the Propecia and the side-effects went away after a few weeks, and I've had no problems thus far, and pretty good success with the medication. Hang in there!

StoneCold316

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the response!

I was using it at .5 mg a day...I guess I could try the .25 route or stick it out with the .5 mg.

The reason I freaked out is because i havent heard anyone really report feeling pain in the breast area and I thought I was one of the few who were going to have a really rough time on the medication.

Plus, I thought I was gaining weight despite working out and no change in diet ( odd...I havent had nearly as many Steve-Weisers in the past like I used to ) I work out a lot so I didnt want to put my progress in jeopardy.

StoneCold316

Reaction score
Brucelee:

I use the spironolactone solution a few times a week...i believe I had some minor success with it. I sued to use the 5% cream but found that too difcicult to apply..so I use the 2% liquid now.

richlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
StoneCold316 said:
Thanks guys for the response!

I was using it at .5 mg a day...I guess I could try the .25 route or stick it out with the .5 mg.

The reason I freaked out is because i havent heard anyone really report feeling pain in the breast area and I thought I was one of the few who were going to have a really rough time on the medication.

Plus, I thought I was gaining weight despite working out and no change in diet ( odd...I havent had nearly as many Steve-Weisers in the past like I used to ) I work out a lot so I didnt want to put my progress in jeopardy.

Weight gain after one week? It's hard to believe, altho i've been noticing a few things like a flabbier body. But this didn't start until 1-2 months into the medication. If it's happening only after 1 week, either you are extremely sensitive or it's psychosomatic. Either way, stick it out and reassess your situation in a few months. I may also be going into the lower dosages as well.

wadecz1

Reaction score
After 2 months of being on propecia:
The only side affects that I have noticed have been watery sperm :? ..libido has been the same,which is good! The first month my face and forehead were greasy,and my skin broke out a little..but none of that now.I make sure and drink alot of water--which is good for you either way!

A good thing:
The lady that cut my hair the other day noticed that on the top-back of my head my hair is getting thicker. My hair,there,has always been ok..it just looked a little thin because,at that spot, it parted in differant directions..this made it look thin.But,hey,I checked after she told me..she was right! I'll take it! I basically have male pattern baldness..my problem is my temples. The dr. that gave me the Rx. said that there is a good chance that propecia could actually thicken my hair at the top,front. *Fingers crossed*. But,if I can just keep what I have then it will be worth it!

What I use:
1mg Propecia/daily (I bought some generic minoxidil. at the supermarket once--stuff was like water torture-feeling it drip down my scalp and sides of forehead..no thanks..i'll stick to my one morning pill)
I use Nizoral shampoo about twice every 8 days..inbetween I use Nioxin (if you guys haven't tried it,then get a bottle--its wonderful..it reminds me of paul mitchell t-tree shampoo <----think thats the one?..I bought it at the salon that does my hair..about 8$ for a 5oz. bottle-use sparingly)..I also use T-gel and Suave..
I keep my hair short so I dont need to add anything after it is dry.IMO,guys that have thining hair should always keep their hair short..it looks so much better..as opposed to trying to screw with it too much,ya know?Anyway,I don't put anything in mine...keep it short-no mouse,spray,etc.

Thats about it for me. I try to eat well(not always easy),and exercise(probably not enough)..I take a multi-vitamin daily(can't hurt)..and drink alot of water..Good luck to all you guys..I'll give another update in a month or so

kevinv

Reaction score
Propecia and Odor

Everyone,

I am on my second week of Propecia. The tablet itself seems to have an odor. I notice it when I open the sealed little foil bubble package.

I also have a bunch of Proscar but can detect no odor on these pills.

Is this propecia odor common?

Please comment and THANKS!

betteroff

Reaction score
One Year on 0.5 mg propecia and better off for it

Hi guys,
Like many of you, I was reading posts and getting educated about hairloss treatments around a year ago. Right now, I have noticably thicker hair all over my head than I did then. The only thing I've used is 0.5 mg propecia.
Here's how my experience has gone. When I first got the stuff, I hit up the full 1 mg dose daily. After about a week, I could feel that I was a bit less horny, wasn't waking up with as much wood, and my scalp felt a bit tight and more dry than it normally is. I expected the loss of libido, and had read that it was temporary, so didn't trip on it. But I did notice it, and let's face it guys, that's not a good feeling. What bothered me more, was that my scalp was getting so dry and feeling stretched. I literally could feel the drug going to work on my dome. I'm a tall, athletic guy with a really fast metabolism. Can eat like a horse and not gain weight, I actually lift to stay heavy, otherwise I get too skinny. I've always noticed I am pretty damn sensitive to drugs. I've dabbled with enough illegal substances like LSD, Ecstacy and cocaine to know it usually took me about half of what my buddies were hitting up to get the same effects. Funny enough, I could always smoke them under the table with the killer wheezy, so I think metabolism is a huge factor in how this stuff (finasteride) hits you. But don't take this the wrong way - I'm not a drugged out freak. I'm actually in a top law school and doing better than a lot of private-school, HAVAHD-types who have "never touched the stuff."
Stone Cold - I'll bet you're a big athletic guy, more bulky than I am, but all that exercise probably has your metabolism revved up and you're probably just sensitive to any new drugs that mess with your system.
Anyway, you all hear about these "sheds" people get. Well I noticed about two weeks in at 1mg that if I ran my hand through my very dry hair, a lot of hairs were coming out, and from places like the sides where male pattern baldness doesn't occur. I freaked at this and stopped taking the pill. I think I figured this out later though - I read that big hormone shifts can cause this kind of general, all over the head shed. Pregnant women get it, when their hormones bug out. I had just started too aggresively for my system and metabolism. My body was shocked that I was so DHT free all of a sudden, or more likely that I had such increased testosterone due to the balancing effect of losing that DHT - you can read up on this. At first upon suppressing DHT your normal testosterone levels increase - this is what causes the acne some get (I noticed it slightly, and I almost never get acne, chose my parents wisely...). SO...I got off it for a week or so, and everything went back to how it was before. Morning wood, scalp felt normal again, but the same slow hair loss kept going. By the way, my hair loss has been very slow but steady. I had noticable temple loss. Was getting a LITTLE thin in the back dome, but not too bad. I was just starting to get the "Hey man, you're receding" comments. Like Norwood 1.5 or so.
After some time went by, I repeated this process again. Finally, I decided to try out 0.5 mg per day. I didn't get the loss of wood. I didn't get that overly dried out feeling in my scalp. I really didn't feel anything. After a few weeks, I noticed my hair was combing better or something - kind of hard to explain, but just a general improved feeling. Couldn't point out any new hairs or anything, I just seemed to have "better hair days" than I'd been having. More time went by and I kept religiously taking my half a propecia pill every morning.
I began noticing that when I woke up in the morning, my hair was less greasy and more manageable. Like it wouldn't get all matted down and look so bad I HAD to take a shower to make myself presentable to hide the temple loss. Just generally looking and feeling better.
Which brings me to the present time. I did not really gain back hair where it was already gone, but what has happened is wherever I did still have hair, even up front, it seemed to stay in longer and grow out more. It looks a lot better than it did. My good old mom, who I had begun bitching to about my hair, saw me the other week for the first time in about three months and thought I looked great, and told me "Good for you that you figured something out." I don't stress about it like I used to, and my mind is a bit more free to focus on other sh*t. THis is the first time I have checked back into the boards here, and I'm just doing it because I saw a similar encouraging post once and told myself I'd pass on the good word myself if I had any success, because otherwise all you guys will read are people who are having problems - those of us who feel better don't hang out and post anymore. I don't care who you are, if you lose hair, you deal with some confidence issues. It isn't right, but it's true for most of us. I take my hat off to the guys who don't stress on it, but I'll bet even they get sick of the comments from their "friends." It's funny, the same strength those guys have is the same reason it's still okay to make fun of the bald guy, as opposed to the fat guy, just plain ugly guy, guy with a hair lip, on and on...
So....all I can say is give your system a chance to deal with this stuff, try to introduce it to your system gradually. Start out with a low dose and let yourself see how you feel. All I need is 0.5 mg, but maybe that will chance with time. After a year on this, maybe I'll up a little and see how it goes, but so far no need. I'm not a topicals guy- too much to deal with for me, so I am stoked I started on propecia when I did. I actually wish I had done it sooner. Now my only problem is I can't remember which pharmacy I ordered online from - they were awesome and much cheaper than anything I am finding now - so I've gotta go browse now. Give this stuff a try guys - don't sweat the effects for a while, let your body adjust and try to find your right dose. Stone Cold - the sore tits would concern me too, but again I think it's a hormone change thing and you should hang tough with at least 0.25 dose for a month. Things will balance out, you'll start to notice good things on your dome in about 2-3 months, and especially after six, and being at the one year mark, maybe a little shy of that, right now, I can say I have more hair than I did last year this time. Stuff works - it keeps the DHT poision away from your follicles, and that's just science. Whatever amount you can use probably helps. Take care everyone,
-better off

kevinv

Reaction score
betteroff, I got my propecia here at HairLossTalk.com. It was a pretty decent price. Then I got into Dr. Lee's stuff and he gave me a prescription for Proscar.

Hey- does your propecia have any odor? Mine stinks... not sure if that is normal.

Thanks.

NewPropGuy

Reaction score
betteroff (and anyone else),

When you did your initial shed from all over your head. Did you regain those hairs that "shock shed"? I'm nearing the end of my 2nd month and believe I've had the shock shed. I thinned enough on the top of my head since my treatment started such that now you can see my scalp a bit between my vertex and my crown. I'm wondering if these were early dht affected hairs that will grow back stronger after the shock. Any ideas fellow forumners? 8O

Nelson

Reaction score
I've going on my 1 year anniversary with Propecia. I'm not sure if I've had any side effects. I may seen a drop in sex drive but maybe it's in my head. Plus women are getting fatter and fatter every year, so who knows?

It definitely helps maintain my hair and it improved the quality of existing hair.

January of 2005 the patent expires on Propecia so it will be much cheaper, so hang in there.

Ormond

Reaction score
Where have most of you been getting Proscar? Is it true that it is the same chemical makeup just different dosage? So hypothetically there should be the same results?

klpyip

Reaction score
Stopping Propecia

I have taken Propecia for about half a year now. My hair loss is M-shape hair loss so the effect has not been obvious (does anyone know of any scientific way of measuring how much hair one has? Probably not).

Anyway, I am thinking about stopping the drug altogether because increasingly I do feel that I am losing my libido (so it is not as the others describe - that it is only temporary since I hardly noticed this at all at first).

I just wonder if stopping the drug at this stage is going to undo all the benefits (if at all) I might have gained from taking the drugs for the last six months? Would my hair loss worsen dramatically? Would resuming the drug later on prove ineffectively? Does anyone know of any webpage that deals with any side-effect of stopping the drug?

Many thanks for any info.

Jiale

G

You might want to look a moving the dosage down, say to .5mg and see how your libido responds.

Brucelee

PS-this may be an excuse to try v****!!!!!

dante80

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I would like to ask your opinion on this matter.

I have been taking Propecia/Proscar for the past year and a half (stop earlier this month). I don't really know if it has done me any good. :roll: I still shed like a bastard and thinning, but I'm not sure if it was helping me keep my hairline. Should I continuing taking it?!? Or wait for Dutasteride?

And is there anything to help slow down the shedding :cry: ?

I'm using the lasercomb and tricomin, and various other vitamins/supplements)l-lysine, green tea(drink), multi-vitamin, biotin, pantheonic acid. Is there anything I should add? MSM perhaps?!?

Your opinions are greatly appreciated!
Fight the good fight!

Be well