Propecia

golferpga10

Reaction score
Daily Regimen of Propecia

I have been using Propecia for close to 6 months. I have been shedding for the last 4 months approx. I take the pill daily usually in the morning. I take it sometime between 8AM and 1PM. I never really thought about taking it at the exact same time everyday. Do you think that would have an affect on Propecia's benefits? Also, I take a Centrum multi vitamin, should I be taking that w/ Propecia or later on in the day?

golferpga10

Reaction score
Re: Shedding on Propecia

I have been on Propecia for close to 6 months. I have been shedding for the last 4 months now. I have heard stories of shedding lasting up to 8 months. I have also heard of shedding lasting a couple weeks. Really, it's different for everyone. The only definate with taking Propecia is the fact that if you decide to start, you have to give it one full year of dedicated administration for one to judge its effectiveness. I think most people would agree with this. The shedding definately exists, but I am not concerned about it b/c it hasn't been one year yet. I like to think of shedding as the drug getting rid of weak hairs and replaced them with strong ones.

G

golferpga10 said:
I have been on Propecia for close to 6 months. I have been shedding for the last 4 months now. I have heard stories of shedding lasting up to 8 months. I have also heard of shedding lasting a couple weeks. Really, it's different for everyone. The only definate with taking Propecia is the fact that if you decide to start, you have to give it one full year of dedicated administration for one to judge its effectiveness. I think most people would agree with this. The shedding definately exists, but I am not concerned about it b/c it hasn't been one year yet. I like to think of shedding as the drug getting rid of weak hairs and replaced them with strong ones.

What else are you using?

golferpga10

Reaction score

BruceLee said:
What else are you using?

I am only using Propecia to slow my hairloss. I take 1mg daily between 8AM and 1PM. In addition though, I also take Centrum Performance multi vitamin daily. I was on Rogaine last year for about 5 months. I had great results w/ Rogaine, but discontinued it b/c I am young and I hated walking around with that oily stuff in my hair all day long. I switched to Propecia about 6 months ago. I don't know why I am still shedding unless the hair that Rogaine grew (which was quite substantial) is falling out now cause its been about 8 months since I quit using it. What do you think?

G

golferpga10 said:
BruceLee said:
What else are you using?

I am only using Propecia to slow my hairloss. I take 1mg daily between 8AM and 1PM. In addition though, I also take Centrum Performance multi vitamin daily. I was on Rogaine last year for about 5 months. I had great results w/ Rogaine, but discontinued it b/c I am young and I hated walking around with that oily stuff in my hair all day long. I switched to Propecia about 6 months ago. I don't know why I am still shedding unless the hair that Rogaine grew (which was quite substantial) is falling out now cause its been about 8 months since I quit using it. What do you think?

Hard to know about shedding, it is very confusing with much theory and little data. We do know that using propecia and minoxidil tends to work much better than either one alone.

Nizoral also adds some synergy.

What do you think?

golferpga10

Reaction score
Propecia Dosage

Does anyone know if taking Propecia at the same time everyday increases the benefits? The directions on the bottle say 1 tablet daily, so is it important to take it at the same time??

G

Re: Propecia Dosage

golferpga10 said:
Does anyone know if taking Propecia at the same time everyday increases the benefits? The directions on the bottle say 1 tablet daily, so is it important to take it at the same time??

Take it any time.

WiseJoeyD

Reaction score
UK private health care

Hi there. New to these boards.

i've been reading around and found out loads of info about everything and anything from proscar to chanting three times and hanging upside down!

Now, though, I was eager to find out about tried and tested forms of treatments. i've settled on the shockingly expensive, but supposedly effective, Propecia.

This is after 2 years of my hair very slowly thinning all over the top (still a norwood 2...if that's the correct term). Recently (4 months or so) my fringe area was becomming diffuse at a slightly faster rate leaving me with a more and more trasnlucent patch of hair. This has been the main reason for my current fretful search for information about, and treatments for, inherited hairloss.

So, living in the UK I now have to find a way to get it.

Is Propecia perscribed on private health services in the uK (namely Northern Ireland). forexample, does BUPA perscribe it?

It's particualrly important for me to have it perscribeed because my Mum (VERY opinionated woman!) isn't willing to get it for me unless it's perscibed by a Doctor. Now, I DO (or more accurately NEARLY) have the money, but sadly don't have a credit card so I could do it fro the internet myself. Sadly that honour falls to my mother (do you see how I'm a big Mummy's boy!) so for the time being we're trying it her way.

Her Way (TM) involves seeing a private doctor (unless the appointment is too expensive.makes you wonder why she's not that reluctant on $500 a year drug...oh wait..thats cause I'm paying for it!) and seeing if he'll perscribe the thing for me..if not then i'm going to do an Elton John beofre 20! Obviously not best pleased with the last part of the plan but am really eager to hear some good news regarding getting Propecia prescribed in the UK...

On that note is there any reliable sites in the UK (such as ukmedix.co.uk//or is that a con?) and indeed any CHEAP sites in the UK(?!) if I were unable to get it prescribed?

G

WiseJoeyD

http://www.qhi.co.uk should sort you out.

£31.00 for 28 tablets of PROSCAR (5mg finasteride) (PROPECIA is 1mg finasteride)

or

£20.75 for 15 tablets of PROSCAR

As these are 5mg and you want to be taking 1mg they will need to be cut into 5 parts, that will give you around 5 months supply for £31 (28 tablets chopped in to five parts = 140 doses of 1mg finasteride)

The division of the tablets need not be perfect.

I also have not got a credit card, but QHI take International money orders (from the post office) or I just send tham cash through the post.

You say in your post that you are not yet 20, this is a little young to be playing with your hormones, maybe do a few days of reading all the various posts here, old and new and try and get as much good advice as possible, maybe a topical DHT inhibitor might be prefreble for a younger person?

Good Luck

P.S Elton did all his best stuff when he let some cool air get to his head.

djdomcapello

Reaction score
Hi everyone i frequently read your boards and i decided its time to post because im really getting scared here. I am 21 years old and i have always had thick hair. The problem is I would always use a lot of stuff in my hair to mold it and shape it, waxes, pomade, gel , mousee, etc. Over the past year i have noticed my hair thining a lot along my hairline and in the middle of my head.

I have been on propecia 1mg every day for about a month now and i have to go back to my dermatologist for a refill.. i also use rogaine 5% basically in the places that i noticed the thinning. I wash with nioxin shampoo and cleanser every other day for the past 5 months. I noticed many of you use nizoral, is that better?? How can i regrow and/or stop my hair from falling out. it seems like it has gotten worse in the last month. If i need to change up my treatment let me know please.. i am open to any suggestions.

Another problem that i am having is that i have to keep going back to my dermatologist that i think is a clown every month to get a new perscription. so it costs 20 a visit plus 60 for the propecia. he also is giving me injections in my head which i am not so comfortable with... please educate me on these too. i noticed you guys talk bout vitamins and flaxseed oil and stuff like that , can you advise me what to take?

please help

domenick

some dude

Reaction score
count me in

As of Monday I too have started on Propecia. It was comforting to hear the pharmacist say "quite a few men take this now," as I was wondering why I haven't heard anything about Propecia, except for on the internet. The next day my barber said his son is on it, and is quite pleased with having more hair than he had before. Good, because my doctor hadn't even heard of it.
I'll let you guys know how it goes. For what its worth, 3 days into it I feel totally fine. Before i sign out I wanted to leave you with 3 things you should all take into consideration.
1. Propecia may be expensive, but in one year their patent runs out, so it will be significantly cheaper.
2. Don't be alarmed about the side effects, as the VAST majority of users have none.
3. It's almost 2004...Something tells me an even better cure from male pattern baldness is just around the corner.

WiseJoeyD

Reaction score
Thank you very much Ty.

You are indeed correct about Elton John!

Though, I was still wondering about it (Proscar/Propecia) being available for perscription on private medical services here in the UK? Indeed, in relation to the MUCH cheaper Proscar, is it still as effective AND would it be perscribed without raised eyebrows at the pharmacy?!

Pharmacy: [whisper]...the boys clearly a hypocondriac[sic]....pass me the sugar pills instead...

Also, in relation to my age, yes it does seem young, and I understand the concern expressed by some people, though I do feel that I'm well past any hormonal upheavel, and hey, having man breasts can't be all that bad can it?!!

By the way, is this site, qhi.co.uk, reputable (ie they're not all rolling in heaps of money screaming "The fools!!! THE FOOLS!!") and how exactly would you go about cutting the wee tablets into 1/5ths without sending them flying down the drain(!)?

G

WiseJoeyD

QHI are legit (as far as I can work out)

You pay your money, they send you the medication.

You have to sign a disclaimer first (sent in with your first order).

I chop my proscar in to quarters (1.25mg finasteride)

but if you do go for the intended 1mg dose chop the pill into 5 parts as best as you can, finasteride hangs around your blood for a few days so once your daily avarage intake is around 1mg that's ok.

djdomcapello

try posting your questions on the 'Men's General Hair Loss Discussions' board you will get much more info there.

that needle in the head stuff sound really freaky, and those prices are way high for propecia!

cheers

Ty

Jack_the_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
Finestride

Ok just got the results fo my blood tests, and it's showing that my estrogen levels are normal.
The generic finestride arrived last week all 60 tablets of 1mg. It took about three weeks to arrive. I'm using the stuff about a week now, and I don't have any side effects that I can comment on yet. I hope this is genuine stuff, the packaging looks genuine and it's manufactured by CIPLA ( which is an Indian manufactuer ). I was checking out there website and it seems that they do actually manufactuer finestride. I all hard to know yet I'll keep ye all posted.

Jack :roll:

Jack_the_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
Finasteride

I forgot to mention theres actually one thing that I've noticed from taking this Finasteride, it's a bit easier have a piss, I'm not sure if that's a side effect or not maybe BruceLee can help me on this one

Jack

Redbone

Reaction score
I am not Bruce but I can try- As a weightlifter certain supplements prohormomes etc raise testosterone, which makes the prostate very tight and hard to take a squirt. I have heard many a body builder on juice complain that it hurts when they piss or they cant piss freely- that is from the buildup of DHT. By supressing DHT with propecia the prostate is relaxed and the urine flows easily.

I recall being in urinals next to old guys and they moan and scream when they urinate because their prostate is so tight and enlarged. Prostate problems usually happen to men in their early 60's and up.

Dont know the methodology but propecia lowers DHT which helps the prostate function normaly.

Jack_the_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
Prostate

Cheers redbone, I think that explains it then. I couldn't belive the water just started flowing out of me 2 days into the medication, and I'm not an old guy(28 yrs old). So maybe this sh*t is actually good for me.

Jack

Jack_the_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
Pain

I'm getting a little pain in my nuts, I hope this isn't going to go on forever. Can those FDA trails be true, that only 3% of the people taking the drug experience side effects

Jack