Propecia

G

JB007 said:
Hi,

@basil:
I only heard about Finast from "Dr. Reddys" and that this drug doesn't work.

@speedy:
Probably yes, if the woman gets in touch with a broken pill and resorbs finastrid via skin. The finasterid concentration in the sperm is too small to cause birth defects, at least it is very unlikely

@all:
Anyone know the following study?
http://www.physics.upen.edu/facultyinfo ... index.html

If you take a look at the study, you should get away with less than 1mg/day, the important DHT concentration in the scalp is (nearly) the same
from 0,05mg-5,0mg, the DHT serum concentration is nearly the same from 0,2mg to 5,0,mg...

So why taking 1mg/day!?

bye

JB

Dr. Reddy say finasteride doesn't work?? Is that what you are saying.

The finasteride dosage study is posted on this website and is well known to most posters who have been here a bit.

JB007

Reaction score
Hi Bruce,

>> Dr. Reddy say finasteride doesn't work?? Is that what you are saying.

No.
I knew one person changing from Propecia to Finast resp. Finax from "Dr. Reddys" and his hairloss increased to the original level before the usage of Propecia, so it seems that Dr. Reddys Finax doesn't work. Other people reported the same on some german discussion boards.

>> The finasteride dosage study is posted on this website and is well known to most posters who have been here a bit.

Ok, no problem :)

bye

JB

itsgoingfast

Reaction score
a little feedback

Hello, since it seems that physicians are handing propecia out like candy nowadays, I hope I can get some feedback about my situation. I am 23 years old, and I have been losing hair since starting college. I have had such thick hair until recently, so I was never really concerned. However, I am now starting to see scalp pretty easily once I dry my hair, and it stresses me out. I started out on Propecia 5 months ago, and minoxidil. 5% about a month ago. I continue to see the same brown thick hairs on my hands after showering...sometimes less than normal (Usually 6-8).
-Has anybody been in the same situation, what have the results been? Am I shedding or continuing to lose hair. It is difficult to assess the situation since it looks like I'm losing hair still. I still have the appearence of a full head of hair if combed correctly, but have not noticed any improvement. Hope this sounds familiar to someone who has had success.
-Any Chance of ceasing this plague...or should I move quietly into the acceptance stage.

joe_mama

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey

Hey itsgoingfast, 6-8 hairs is not whats referred to around here as a shed. A healthy head of hair loses between 50 to 150 hairs per day. This is part of the normal hair cycle. I'm sure you are losing more than 6-8 hairs per day....you just notice the 6-8. But that's normal.
Joe

G

Re: a little feedback

itsgoingfast said:
Hello, since it seems that physicians are handing propecia out like candy nowadays, I hope I can get some feedback about my situation. I am 23 years old, and I have been losing hair since starting college. I have had such thick hair until recently, so I was never really concerned. However, I am now starting to see scalp pretty easily once I dry my hair, and it stresses me out. I started out on Propecia 5 months ago, and minoxidil. 5% about a month ago. I continue to see the same brown thick hairs on my hands after showering...sometimes less than normal (Usually 6-8).
-Has anybody been in the same situation, what have the results been? Am I shedding or continuing to lose hair. It is difficult to assess the situation since it looks like I'm losing hair still. I still have the appearence of a full head of hair if combed correctly, but have not noticed any improvement. Hope this sounds familiar to someone who has had success.
-Any Chance of ceasing this plague...or should I move quietly into the acceptance stage.

-You are not shedding. That type of hair fall out is normal for anyone.

-Stay on the propecia and minoxidil. The odds are strongly that these will work.

-add nizoral shampoo every third day.

-Stay the course.

Reaction score
results

OK...I am back and need some more advice.

I have been on Propecia for a year and three months now. I went through all the cycles that most people are posting about on here. After about 4 months I didn't see much results and actually started to feel like I was losing hair (which was probably the shedding). Then it eventually slowed to a stop (or at least not nearly as bad as it was), or slowed enough that I didn't notice it all that much. My brother and many other friends told me it looked like the crown was filling in a lot more. after the first few months I started buying Nizoral and using it every three days like this site says. That helped stop the itch and minor flaking.

So, a little over a year now I have at least maintained what I had...or that's what people still tell me. But that's not how I feel. It seems like over the year I could see my scalp a little easier. Standing under a light in front of a mirror I can tell that it is still slowely falling out.

?Is this normal?

Family say it's not as bad as I am making it out to be, and that they can't tell. That they think it's looked better and better over the year.

Anyway, now I have started to notice over about a week there will be hair in the drain. Hair on my hands after shampooing it...and after I get out and push it back. Do I need to relax? Do we go through these cycles while on Propecia?

Oh, I was also advised to not take Rogaine and wait this out to see if I get some regrowth. Coupled with Nizoral. I don't think I have gained hair, but people tell me it looks like I have. (At least on the crown where it started).

Should I still wait it out? Or is it about time for me to try some regrowth with the propecia and Nizoral?

If so, what should I use? Revivogen/Folligen/Tricomin?

Thanks in advance,
Terry

robbalis

Reaction score
propecia .5mg or 1mg

ok i want to buy propecia but im confused which is better .5mg or the 1mg, also which one is the generic and the real thing. And if somebody can send me a reliable link to where i can buy propecia (non generic) at a good price please post the link. thank u

hairdude

Reaction score
began losing hair :19
propecia 1mg since march 2003 (6 month)
Minoxidil 2x daily since march 2003 (6 month)
Nizarol 1 every 3 days (6 month)

symptoms: hair line still receding, shedding continues, itchy scalp, flaky scalp.

questions:
1, are itchy scalp and flaky scalps signs that this regiment is working?
2, when can i expect the shedding to stop?
3, how can i tell if i am insensitive to propecia?

any help would be GREAT

bombscience

Reaction score
hairdude said:
questions:
1, are itchy scalp and flaky scalps signs that this regiment is working?
2, when can i expect the shedding to stop?
3, how can i tell if i am insensitive to propecia?

any help would be GREAT

1. You need to get your scalp in good condition dude. Itchy & Flaky are not a good thing in most cases. I would suggest trying another shampoo such as TGEL or TSAL for 2 weeks instead of Nizoral and see how that affects things. You may also want to look into Folligen (http://www.folligen.com or on this website). It has help many overcome the itchiness and flakes caused by Minoxidil.

2. Shedding stops at different times in different people... its a strange phenomenon. read this for more info: http://www.minoxidil.com/Shedding.htm

3. You can tell that you are not responding sto propecia if after 18 months of use your hairloss has not slowed down at all. If you hair loss has slowed or stopped that is considered a "response" to propecia.

itsgoingfast

Reaction score
How come 18 months

Hello,

This is a really important question that I have had for a while. I've been on propecia for about 9 months now, and have never really had a distinct shedding phase. Hair loss has slowed some, but could be atrributed to minoxidil or having less hair in general. Are you saying that after 12 months, results (hair loss ceasing) are still possible or observable. This would seem to contradict what propecia has on their website. I missed a couple doses throughout my course maybe about 3 days a month...would you think this might have an impact on the lack of results I am currently observing? thanks...

bombscience

Reaction score
Re: How come 18 months

itsgoingfast said:
Hello,

This is a really important question that I have had for a while. I've been on propecia for about 9 months now, and have never really had a distinct shedding phase. Hair loss has slowed some, but could be atrributed to minoxidil or having less hair in general. Are you saying that after 12 months, results (hair loss ceasing) are still possible or observable. This would seem to contradict what propecia has on their website. I missed a couple doses throughout my course maybe about 3 days a month...would you think this might have an impact on the lack of results I am currently observing? thanks...

I would say that based on the graphed data that Merck has provided from it's studies, propecia was most effictive between 9-15 months into use.

Skipping 1 or 2 days per month of Finasteride will not have a direct impact. It takes about two weeks for your DHT levels to return to normal after discontinuing use of Finasteride so missing 1 day every so often will not have a large impact.

NeedAdvice

Reaction score
Please help

Here is my situation, I am 27, and just started noticing that my hairline is beginning to recede and I am getting some baldness in the temples. It is beginning to be noticeable andI want to stop it. I have not tried any treatments, and seem to find the a combination of proscar (1/5th), rogaine, and nizoral shampoo is a popular treatment option. I am a bit nervous about proscar (given the price, and sexual sideeffects). Do you think it makes sense to start with rogaine and see the effect after 3-4 months and if there is still worsening to try proscar. Or DHT inhibitor is something that is necessary as soon as you notice beginning of baldness. Also, any recommendation of best sources to buy these products (i have seen dru-online.com,propecia-discount.com, http://www.crissywild.com). I want to start as soon as possible, so please offer some advise if you have some.
Thanks.

bombscience

Reaction score
Re: Please help

NeedAdvice said:
Here is my situation, I am 27, and just started noticing that my hairline is beginning to recede and I am getting some baldness in the temples. It is beginning to be noticeable andI want to stop it. I have not tried any treatments, and seem to find the a combination of proscar (1/5th), rogaine, and nizoral shampoo is a popular treatment option. I am a bit nervous about proscar (given the price, and sexual sideeffects). Do you think it makes sense to start with rogaine and see the effect after 3-4 months and if there is still worsening to try proscar. Or DHT inhibitor is something that is necessary as soon as you notice beginning of baldness. Also, any recommendation of best sources to buy these products (i have seen dru-online.com,propecia-discount.com, http://www.crissywild.com). I want to start as soon as possible, so please offer some advise if you have some.
Thanks.

Actually, to me, it makes more sense to me to start with Finasteride (Proscar) and Nizoral before starting minoxidil. For about $100 you can get a full years worth of Proscar that you would need to treat hair loss. This is about $40 dollars more than what it would cost for a full years worth of minoxidil.

If you dont see results of Finasteride stopping your hair loss 12 months down the road, you could add minoxidil and most likely regrow some of what you've lost.

Remember these facts:
83% of men who too propecia saw no visible hair loss or regrowth after 1 year

Less than 2% of men had side effects.

For the full effect the cost would be $200/year for minoxidil, nizoral, and finasteride.

dames147

Reaction score
shedding

I have been on Propecia for three months now and just started useing Rogains 5% twice a day along with Nizoral every three to four days. Since I started this reimine it seems that my balding has not slowed down. I can also see my scalp on the sides. I think I am shedding but not sure. I was wondering what shedding exactly looks like or can be described as. Possiblly give me some tell tale signs and what to look for

AZJ

Reaction score
I'm 21 years old and have been losing hair since I was 18 or 19. A month ago, I finally started taking Rogaine (5%) and Propecia.

Since taking the medicines, I have been losing hair much more rapidly than before. I have TGel Shampoo, but as silly as it sounds, I don't wash my hair often because I hate to see all the hair I lose. I feel as if I don't have much more to lose, and washing it seems to make it all fall out.

Some days are worse than others, and my hair loss is all over the top of my head. In fact, it seems as if I even lose hair on the side of my head as well sometimes, but that isn't noticeable.. it just comes out when I run my hands through my head sometimes.

How long will I be shedding and at what point should I see results? I realize I need to wash my hair and use shampoo more often, but is the lack of it going to ruin any chance of me regrowing?

Is there anything else I should be taking besides these two drugs? Your help is sincerely appreciated, as I'm young and very upset over the hair loss. I feel as if I don't have much time for the drugs to work before it is completely obvious to everyone else. I don't even do my hair anymore because when it is wet, it is so obvious.

Thanks for your help!

itstimeforhelp

Reaction score
advice...

i'm 25 and mean no offense to other readers if my problems seem minimal... i'm thinning. wake up in the morning and have to deal with a bed full of hair. shirts and computer are covered by lunch, then again by quiting time. i guess i run my hands through my hair when i'm stressed at work, but i don't pull it out or anything. i wear hats to cover it when i'm out, but i bet that makes it worse... i havn't tried any type of treatments before, but the past 6 months its gotten much worse. i always knew it would be gone, but hoped to make it a little longer. the loss is only from the middle to the front. either i shave it now or start a program... i'm ready for advice.

G

Re: advice...

itstimeforhelp said:
i'm 25 and mean no offense to other readers if my problems seem minimal... i'm thinning. wake up in the morning and have to deal with a bed full of hair. shirts and computer are covered by lunch, then again by quiting time. i guess i run my hands through my hair when i'm stressed at work, but i don't pull it out or anything. i wear hats to cover it when i'm out, but i bet that makes it worse... i havn't tried any type of treatments before, but the past 6 months its gotten much worse. i always knew it would be gone, but hoped to make it a little longer. the loss is only from the middle to the front. either i shave it now or start a program... i'm ready for advice.

Sugest you read the entire HairLossTalk.com web site introduction which has a very nice overview of male pattern baldness. Then come back here with questions you may have.

Good luck