Propecia

fro

Established Member
Reaction score
I've read some posts where an individual has had success with 1mg 2x/day. This seems possible due to the short half life of finasteride. I realize that studies have shown that higher doses are not any more effective than the standard 1mg dose, and that even lower doses may work just as well as the 1mg dose. However, I believe this was shown to be true in single dosing trials. I also have seen the effectiveness of the 1mg dose gradually wane over the past year or so. Would it be wise to attempt a 2mg dose split, 1mg in the morning, 1mg at night? Or maybe switch to dutasteride?
I have been using the minoxidil 5% and propecia 1mg for nearly five years. Recently began nizoral 1%(2% was too harsh).
Thank You

G

fro said:
I've read some posts where an individual has had success with 1mg 2x/day. This seems possible due to the short half life of finasteride. I realize that studies have shown that higher doses are not any more effective than the standard 1mg dose, and that even lower doses may work just as well as the 1mg dose. However, I believe this was shown to be true in single dosing trials. I also have seen the effectiveness of the 1mg dose gradually wane over the past year or so. Would it be wise to attempt a 2mg dose split, 1mg in the morning, 1mg at night? Or maybe switch to dutasteride?
I have been using the minoxidil 5% and propecia 1mg for nearly five years. Recently began nizoral 1%(2% was too harsh).
Thank You

I would suggest that you may want to add spironolactone and/or folligen spray to your routine. Perhaps after 5 yrs you have gotten all you are going to get from systemic depression of DHT levels (law of diminishing returns) and a slightly different approach is called for.

Remeber, DHT is only part of the male pattern baldness equation.

Good luck

George Costanza

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm considering finasteride because I seem to be allergic to topical solutions containing alcohol. I'm a little worried about the sexual side effects though. Does anybody know if herbal sex enhancers or v**** can offset these side effects?

Also, for you guys that use Proscar, how hard is it to accurrately cut those pills into 1/5 ths. Thanks.

SmilenJack

Reaction score
Howdy just one ?

Hello, all

First of I am in my mid 20's and my hair has been thining for the last year and pushing back. I went to my Dermt this morning and he proscribed Proscar cut into 4ths, I read a couple post hear and a couple post ther 65 pages would take me awhile. I was wondering whats the percent that this is gonna actually work, I mean the doctor tells me he has also proscribed it for his Nephew, and he can see the difference. I just wish I had the truth you know I don't want to spend the little money I have on something that more than likely not work. Well any help would be greatly helpful.

Thanks Again

Jack

Stinger122

Established Member
Reaction score
Considering Propecia.. Please help!

Hey everybody.. Well im an 18 year old male and I have been suffering from hair loss for the past 2 years... I have tried Saw palmetto (for 4 months) and just been trying Fo-Ti for about 3 months...

I saw my docter a year ago, he just laughed and took my blood test.. Nothing wrong there thats what he said and then he basically told me that there is nothing he can do..

I think Propecia is my only option, I dont know what else to do really.. Everything is so pricey and im a god damn student(which means im poor).. My hair has gotten thinner over the years and when a really bright light shines on my head, my scalp is see through.. Its so god damn deppressing. I dont want to have a bald patche by the time im 20... It just kills me inside what im going through.. Im only 18 and I started losing it at 16... I just can't believe it, its like my worst nightmare coming true

Should I give Propecia a shot? It wont affect me badly will it? And if I discontinue the side effects will go away right? I cant really go to my docter, cause he doesnt even know what it is!

Im considering trying Finpecia (Its made in India and it looks really cheap) Has anybody else tried it? Or is it just a fake? Im going to order from this website.

http://www.inhousedrugstore.co.uk/hair- ... pecia.html

Thanks for your help guys... Look foreward to hearing from people!

mashiara

Reaction score
You guys have had luck with the "generic" finesteride? I've seen it listed on several sites and the price is so incredibly low compared to the real deal that I have a hard time believing it. I'd love to hear someones real results from ordering from any of these overseas sources.... Thanks much!

Axon

Reaction score
mashiara said:
You guys have had luck with the "generic" finesteride? I've seen it listed on several sites and the price is so incredibly low compared to the real deal that I have a hard time believing it. I'd love to hear someones real results from ordering from any of these overseas sources.... Thanks much!

Generic works fine for me.

licht

Reaction score
I've been on Propecia for a while and...

I'm experiencing heavy, heavy shedding. Same old story hey? At any rate, I have the same old question -- apologies, I know it's been asked many, many times, but read on anyway. Should I keep it up?

I'll give a little bit of background:

I'm 24, and I've been losing my hair relatively slowly for about seven years. It still isn't noticeable to most people, but it's getting there, and so I decided I ought to do something about it.

About a month and a week ago, I started on Propecia, and a week after that, Minoxidil 2%. About a week, perhaps a little more after I started on the Propecia, I started to experience heavy, heavy shedding. It hasn't really gone down at all in the insuing month, and I'm worried that this pill is just doing me bad. If I wear a cap for example, when I take it off at the end of the day, I have to sit and pick out the dozens of hairs in it.

I know there's always this issue of initial shedding, but the onset was really quite quick, intense, and hasn't let up. So, does anybody have any ideas?

straycat

Reaction score
hey licht.

i've been away from these boards for quiet a while now.
but regarding your story, i think the "if it's not broken, don't fix it" rule applies a bit here. and i'm talking about minoxidil.

as you said, you are losing hair relatively slowly for about seven years and it still isn't noticeable to most people. well, if it ain't noticeable it seems to me you only need propecia as it maintains and offers a chance of regrowth, while minoxidil is "heavy stuff", and is advised to people with an urge need of regrowing (if you have or are developing bald areas fast) and is probably the reason why you're shedding bad. propecia takes between 6 to 12 months to start doin its business (although i say the minimum is 12 months).

if you are right and the shedding is caused by propecia, then it's a good thing. it's replacing weak hairs for stronger ones already 'cause believe me, finast won't make your hair fall out.

one thing i never understood is,,, you guys really *count* your shedded hairs? what an hobby. 8O

straycat

Reaction score
by the way, to all the diffuse thiners, i've been on Propecia and nizoral for 1 year and 4 months now, and my advice is keep it steady,,, don't quit after a while and then come back and then switch to other stuff. i regrown (still light colored and thin) new hair but it's there and my hair in general is growing longer. a year ago, most of it would shed at 2mm long. i kept my faith in this sh*t and in december (1 year and 6 months) i'm posting pics.

stay strong,,,[]

Jack_the_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
Generic Finesteride

Ok guys I've been reading this forum for the past month and it really is addictive, theres also alot of information here.

well first things first I'm 28 years old and I've been slowly losing hair since I was 25. Looking back at it now it probaly started before that. over the last year it has got noticable mostly on the Vertex of the head, with some thinning on the temples. I'd say that I'm between a norwood 2 and 3. Anyway I used some Rogaine(mainly because it was the only thing I'd heard about) last year, but stopped using it after 3 months because I found it hard to stick to the twice a day regime. I've still got a box of Kirklands minoxidil(which I might add is exactly the same as rogaine except cheaper).
So the main thing about this post which is long(I'm sorry about that) is that I'm going to try Finasteride from a generic website

http://generics-online-pharmacy.com/index.htm

along with the nizoral shampoo, mainly because bruce got v**** from them and that seemed to work. I've started the Nizoral shampoo(not a problem with it either) already but still waiting on the Finesteride, which I ordered last week. Since yeah guys have been a help to me with the wealth of information I'll keeps yea's all posted on my progress :roll:

mark

Jack_the_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
same as above

Oh yeah I forgot to add that I've also got some hormone checks done for estrogen and testosterone. I've also got a slight case of gyno, which I only realised from been on this web site and have read up on since. I'm alot more knowledgeable about hair loss now than I was a month ago. This forum seems genuine, and it's great to see some discussion on the subject, so thats why I've decided to keep every one posted on my progress before I start the generic Finestride. I don't have a libido problem now and I don't expect it either, I'm going to take a positive approach to the whole thing, instead of ben psycosemhatic about it.

Talk too yee all later Mark

joe_mama

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey

Jack, you have gyno right now? What's the problem exactly? Do you have elevated estrogen?

Jack_the_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
tests

Joe I don't know yet weather I have elevated estrogen yet. I've have a blood test on friday for the estrogen hormone won't be able to answer that for sure for another week. I've had a general check from a doctor last week and he doesn't think I've got an estrogen problem, he didn't want to test me for estrogen but I made him do the test. He told me that I'm slightly overweight and that most of it will disappear with exercise. I pretty much have been like this for a few years now but only thought about it after visting this forum.

straycat

Reaction score
jack, go for it,,, keep us posted, best luck and stay strong.

jpmorgan

Reaction score
lots of shedding

I started taking Propecia (.83mg/day - 5mg split into 6 parts) about four months ago. Like someone that posted above, I started to notice a very large increase in shedding after about a week of starting it. My hairline has been gradually receding since I was about 18 or so (I'm 24 now), but until now I didn't have large amounts of shedding on a daily basis.

My hair is shedding uniformly now, too. Just as many shed from the back (closer to the neck than the crown) as from the front and top of the head. I'm trying my best to stick with it, but I'm concerned that this is simply speeding up my hair loss or making it go beyond where it would have gone had I not started using Propecia. My hair seems to have thinned out as much since I started it (within 4 months ago) as I had in several years without any treatment at all. Any chance this could be a good sign, that hair will indeed regrow and is just falling out as part of the normal cycle associated with hair loss treatments?

joe_mama

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey

I have a similar situation to jpmorgan. I have been shedding for a long time and need to find something to stop it. I have added folligen to my regimen over a month ago and nothing seems to stop the shedding.

oaslam

Reaction score
Shedding on Propecia

What kind of shedding can be expected when beginning Propecia? That is, if anyone has experienced any.

O.