Propecia

Jack_the_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
WiseJoeyD said:
Thanks Jack!

I'm sorry to keep coming up with questions (hmm....how about the age of the universe? or better yet, vanilla ice crfeam or strawberry?!)

Does oestrogen or other female hormones levels in fact rise drastically when Propecia is taken?

This is my last concern, and probbly most important health-wise.

People complaining of sore testes suggests it's this high level of that hormone. This would, I'd've thought, be detrimental to long-term sexual health?

female hormones won't rise dramatically, the pains in the testes are probally due to a hormonal cahnge in the body. The enzyme 5AR2 is supressed by finasteride which means that this enzyme is no longer binding with testosterone. This means that there is more free testosterone (T) going around in the body. This extra testosterone can be converted to some more estrogens and androgens(male hormones). I don't know how to give you a definate answer on that yet, I have a medical journal too look-up and will post an answer as soon as I can.

Jack

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Finast and testicle pain, conversion to other hormones

Hey guys, me again. Sorry for not mentioning this before, but I experienced some pain in my left testicle 3 weeks ago, 2 months after beginning propecia. It only lasted for a week, and was so slight that it diden't bother me. I am pretty sure it was from finast, though not positive, simply because I never experienced that before. But again, it was slight, tolerable, and never constant- went in a few spurts a day for roughly 5 minutes every time. And I noticed it more when I wore boxers, probably because of the less comfortable "placement" of my boys when I sat down.

But I think we can all agree that with anything like this, you just have to patiently ride it out. This goes for any treatment, and any side effects- shedding, slight pain or discomfort, sexual disfunction- as long as it is tolerable, and doesn't last too long. And this is, of course, a personal decision.

REGARDING TESTESTERONE CONVERTING TO ESTROGEN and other hormones, I didn't like the thought of this either, which prompted me to see an endochrinologist to tell me I wasn't getting gynechomastia when my hypochandriac-self thought I was experiencing fat build-up in the chest, and sporadic pain in my nipples. I am not a doctor either, but what makes some sense to me is going to the gym and throwing the weights around to lessen the quantity of "free testosterone" in the body. Every source I have ever read or heard says that testosterone helps build muscle: more testosterone = more muscle. This being said, I didn't like the idea of just sitting in a chair, thinking (actually imagining) that the extra testosterone was being converted into more detrimental hormones. So that got me going to the gym more. That got me feeling better, worrying about it less, and it even burns fat, which was probably all that might have been making my chest flabby.

Going to the gym might not decrease enough of the testosterone that could possibly convert to other hormones. But it can't hurt.\

Just a thought.

Later guys!

G

propecia void

hey, i messed up my delivery of propecia. if i miss 2 weeks will it mess my regime up too badly. ive been on it for about 1 year. thanks

Cassin

Reaction score
Re: propecia void

scottfish said:
hey, i messed up my delivery of propecia. if i miss 2 weeks will it mess my regime up too badly. ive been on it for about 1 year. thanks

Might go through a little shed. Who knows? But your not going to have to start over. And don't stack up by doubling your dose or anything. Grapefruit juice is "supposed" to help with absorbing Propecia, so when you get your Propecia in the mail, you might want to polish off a glass of grapefruit juice for a few weeks with your dose. It may not help at all, but that is something I read a few months ago.

fuzzball

Reaction score
I took the plunge 3 weeks ago and started using Propecia. By the second day I noticed a total loss of libido and haven't had an erection since then. I've also had some testicular pain. Starting 2 days ago, I began to feel really really bad. My symptoms included a headache (which has not gone away yet despite lots of pain relivers), back pain and some chest pain. Also, I'm having problems peeing. That is, I always feel like I need to go pee and when I do pee, only a little bit comes out and then there is a burning sensation and then pain in my kidneys (similar to the pain when you have to go pee but don't for a long long time). I don't know if this is related but I go to the gym a lot and the day before this started, I was in a particularly pissed off mood and did cardio really hard. Tomorrow morning I have an appointment with the Dr. I did not take my propecia this morning and I'm feeling a bit better.

Do you think the propecia is responsible for my pee / kidney problems? The total loss of libido is terrible, I'd rather be hairless. Should I stop taking propecia or try cutting the pills in half?

-fuzz

Jack_the_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
fuzzball said:
I took the plunge 3 weeks ago and started using Propecia. By the second day I noticed a total loss of libido and haven't had an erection since then. I've also had some testicular pain. Starting 2 days ago, I began to feel really really bad. My symptoms included a headache (which has not gone away yet despite lots of pain relivers), back pain and some chest pain. Also, I'm having problems peeing. That is, I always feel like I need to go pee and when I do pee, only a little bit comes out and then there is a burning sensation and then pain in my kidneys (similar to the pain when you have to go pee but don't for a long long time). I don't know if this is related but I go to the gym a lot and the day before this started, I was in a particularly pissed off mood and did cardio really hard. Tomorrow morning I have an appointment with the Dr. I did not take my propecia this morning and I'm feeling a bit better.

Do you think the propecia is responsible for my pee / kidney problems? The total loss of libido is terrible, I'd rather be hairless. Should I stop taking propecia or try cutting the pills in half?

-fuzz

I can't understand how propecia is making your peeing even worse, the drug was specifically designed to relieve urinary problems. By lowering DHT it makes the prostate smaller. An enlarged prostate can squeeze up against the bladder causing difficulty in peeing, this is nothing to do with your kidneys. To answer your question I don't think propecia is causing peeing problems, and yes it is possable that it's causing a loss of libido. Everybody's is different and some men depend more on DHT for libido than on testosterone, but it's usually a small percentage of men.

I myself had testicular pains a week into taking propecia, but it went away a few days later, and I haven't noticed any side effects since. I'm taking 0.5 mg of propecia e.g(half a tablet). Maybe you should see a doctor about the headaches and the likes.

Jack

Jack_the_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Finast and testicle pain, conversion to other hormones

elguapo said:
REGARDING TESTESTERONE CONVERTING TO ESTROGEN
Going to the gym might not decrease enough of the testosterone that could possibly convert to other hormones. But it can't hurt.\

Just a thought.

Later guys!

This is something I don't fully understand myself i.e(wheres the extra free (T) going).I'm using the gym and running to burn the extra testosterone also, not sure how crediable that theroy is, but I'm looking into it. It's not going to do any harm, thats for sure

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Regarding frequent peeing, side effects

I hope I don't come off as being too flippant, as I keep on adding new things to my history. I just forget some of these things, because it happened a few months ago, and went away. But...

When I got back from Europe, and realized that I was losing hair, I also noticed that I was urinating a lot. Told this to the doctor, and since I am only 28, he said there is no way in hell I have HPB (enlarged prostate), which can result in an effectively small bladder, and more frequent urination. He said it was because this whole things was really getting to me, which it was, and that I was just not at ease overall- excited all the time, essentially. Kind of like when a child is excited a lot (mentally), or even a dog when you come home for the first time (like cocker spaniels). I took his advice, waited it out, and realized he was right when it went away. It went away 3 weeks into taking propecia, because I was more relaxed thinking that I was going to grow more hair.

I don't know anything for sure, but I could be that being tense or uneasy mentally is causing the frequent urination.

As far as the doctor goes, I always hesitate to tell him about any side effects, just because in the beginning he told me flat out that he didn't notice a problem, that "if he were a girl, he would find me attractive, ha ha", and that balding wasn't a clinically harmful desease- it isn't affecting my overall health. I told him that I am not BALD, I am baldING, and he agreed to prescribe propecia to me after a friend recommended it- he had never even heard of it before.

My advice is to 1) carefully monitor other factors in your life and with your health, 2) use less than the full pill (0.5mg for example), as a test, and 3) try the propecia off and on a bit, to see if the same symptoms keep coming back. This will tell you if it is indeed the propecia causing this, and how much finasteride is best.

It's hard to do all of this when you want hair NOW, you know? I have one bottle of every damn treatment you can think of in my closet, and tried each for a week or so, until I realized it would take 4 hours to put all that crap on my head day and night. I've convinced myself to use just the big three- finasteride, nizoral, and minoxidil- for at least 8 more months before adding more ammo.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Jack_the_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
misegutjoe

I've found some facts as too way finasteride causes a pain in the nuts

Q: What kind of side effects can you get with finasteride or other systemic DHT inhibitors?

A: Finasteride is the best documented of the DHT inhibitors and most people notice no side effects from it. Some people do, however, experience a reduction in libido or notice more watery semen. Some get some noticeable hyperandrogenicity, as evidenced by increased facial oil, pimples or unusually high libido. Testicular ache is occasionally noted, probably due to increased testosterone output, and the body takes time to adjust to this. (Increased T levels--15% on average in finasteride users--are likely in large part a compensatory response to reduced DHT.) Most often any side effects dissipate within 2 or 3 months. If they do not, things should return to normal after discontinuing finasteride, although this may take a couple of weeks, as finasteride has a relatively long biological effect, although a short serum half-life.

Cassin

Reaction score
Re: misegutjoe

Jack_the_Lad said:

Q: What kind of side effects can you get with finasteride or other systemic DHT inhibitors?

A: Finasteride is the best documented of the DHT inhibitors and most people notice no side effects from it. Some people do, however, experience a reduction in libido or notice more watery semen. Some get some noticeable hyperandrogenicity, as evidenced by increased facial oil, pimples or unusually high libido. Testicular ache is occasionally noted, probably due to increased testosterone output, and the body takes time to adjust to this. (Increased T levels--15% on average in finasteride users--are likely in large part a compensatory response to reduced DHT.) Most often any side effects dissipate within 2 or 3 months. If they do not, things should return to normal after discontinuing finasteride, although this may take a couple of weeks, as finasteride has a relatively long biological effect, although a short serum half-life.

That is the first reasonable post I have ever read concerned the"nut pain" from finasteride. Good Find!

Jack_The_Lad, could you PM me or post where you found that?

Jack_the_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: misegutjoe

Cassin said:
Jack_the_Lad said:

That is the first reasonable post I have ever read concerned the"nut pain" from finasteride. Good Find!

Jack_The_Lad, could you PM me or post where you found that?

I found it on a general advice page regarding finasteride the link is below

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/html/faq.cfm

best of luck Jack

nittny84

Reaction score
Propecia - side effect

i've been on propecia for 3 months and i normally masturbate once a day......but i took three days off and i had a definite pain in my testes that did not go away, but i noticed once i got back into my normal routine of "relieving myself" i no longer had the pain in the testes.........is there some scientific explanation as to this problem as far as i don't have pain in my testes when i masturbate on a regular basis?

thanks for your input!

morpheus

Reaction score
Re: Finast and testicle pain, conversion to other hormones

Jack_the_Lad said:
elguapo said:
REGARDING TESTESTERONE CONVERTING TO ESTROGEN

Just a thought.

Later guys!

This is something I don't fully understand myself i.e(wheres the extra free (T) going).I'm using the gym and running to burn the extra testosterone also, not sure how crediable that theroy is, but I'm looking into it. It's not going to do any harm, thats for sure

apart from the fact that hormones are in maintained in equilibrium by the body, the more testosterone that is removed, the more the body produces to replace it, to ensure a static level, so wether you do wieghts or not, the testosterone level maybe onm the whole unaffected, if you suddenly stop doing weights you mayhave a temporary surge of testosterone until the body regulates production back down to a baseline level, this is all conjecture as i cannot say if testosterone is used to help build muscle.

my affects from 9months of finasteride
1mg daily. The initial effects of lower libido and ball ache went, and then i felt randier than before etc for a while
after 6months, 3 months ago i started to get a cold then flu, then diarrhoea, these subsided, then iget an abscess in my chin, whichhasnt gone away despite 3 courses of antidiotics, its still there now, and painful. I get tummy ache when i wake up, and my balls ace mildly most of the time. also my hands feel hot a lot, and the veins stick out like ive been pumping weights but actualy havent
Also whenever i have sex or wank etc, just as im coming theres a very strange almost uncomfortable feeling down below, and the orgasm is spoilt a bit by that. over the last month, ive been increasingly tired, and ill feeling, like ive got mild flu, i get tired much easier than before which is begining to affect my work. finesteride is like chemotherapy, i dont want to but im going to have to quit, as i think my immune system is supressed, ive got a few spots which i dont normal have, im 30 btw
So i will have to quit, as im worried about what finasteride is doing to me.
going to have find alternative safer treatments

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There might be alternatives to quiting...

Morpheus, I don't want to defend finasteride, as I know that some people simply react poorly to it. But 9 months into it, and you are experiencing these things? I would think, and hope (as I am on my 3rd month and it could be workig already) that whatever side effects might come from using this drug would have presented themselves by at least the 3-month mark. You know your body best, but might I offer a few recommendations:

1) Go see a doctor. maybe you already have, but didn't mention it. He can give you better advice than I. I hope he doesn't immediate blame finasteride as the cause, but he might.

2) And dispite what he says, maybe just a little more time might be necessary to find the cause of your symptoms, if it isn't propecia. Try herbs of some sort, like green tea, and vitamins and healthy supplements. I am taking flax seed oil from time to time, which helps the immune system, as does garlic, and vitamin C, which helps circulation, and the immune system. MSM/L-lysine is supposed to be good for the body overall, too, I think. I believe I read that MSM helps the body regenerate/rejuvenate tissue, including skin. Working out might give you more energy as well, though it may not fit into your routine right now.

Maybe the weather has made you feel a little ill, and your diet might be making your stomach ache in the morning. Try eating something "mild" before going bed.

If all else fails, there are other treatments against male pattern baldness, and you can always take a break from finasteride, and see if that helps. It's just too bad that you are 9mo into it, and just now experiencing these symptoms. You have my sympothy.

Most of this is just pulled out of my ***, but you get the general idea- there are alternatives to quiting propecia. Cut it in half and take 2xs daily, take every other day, take a break for a week. Whatever.

Hope you decided to fight through these bad times, and that they pass if you do. But you do what you have to do. Good luck either way.

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
elguapo pics

I posted these on my own thread in the general section, but thought I'd put it here for more to see, since I am on propecia (currently the 1mg, going by the books for the first 6 months). I promised the pics (not that anybody cares), and here they are. I'm defninitely a diffuse thinner.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/imlosinhair/album?.dir=/elguapohairstatus

Comments were made that it could just be that I am pulling my hair apart to see the scalp. Wish it were so. I had such a thick head of hair 6 months ago, you wouldn't believe. Nope, I've thinned out.

I've been on propecia and nizoral/TGel for 3 months now. On Rogaine for a week. Hopefully I will see some results within the next 6-9 months, and can post some good after photos.

Good luck to all.

Jack_the_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
That would be covered up if you combed it differently, doesn't look like something to freak out about.

wmiller

Reaction score
Hair Loss Test?

A couple of months ago I got “the†haircut……the one you get that makes your mouth drop and your feet scurry to the nearest hair doctor. While the writing has been on the wall, I was praying this day would never come. I’m 25 now and have noticed a very gradual thinning on the top of my head over the past couple of years. However, this time after the barber was finished I discovered that my hairline was beginning to recede. In a state of panic, I rushed to a doctor to get some advice, and he handed me a Propecia prescription as well as a one-month trial sample. Before doing any research myself, I took the Propecia plunge this month. Like a lot of people on these posts, I have experienced the common sexual side effects…ie loss of libido, troubles maintaining an erection, and some aching in my testicles. I told my doctor this and he gave me another one-month trial sample so I could see if the side effects would subside before I bought some for myself. Before I use finasterside for another month, I wanted to ask this simple question. Is there any scientific way to determine the extent of how bald someone is going to become? The reason I ask this is because I started to go gray on the sides of my head when I was 20, and at 25 there is a lot of gray there now. However, on the top of my head where some thinning has occurred, there are only trace amounts of gray hair. When my doctor saw this, he couldn’t give me a definite answer. The only response he had was that some people that go gray at an early age retain most of their hair, even if they have seen some thinning. I want to know for sure before I continue taking Propecia. I’ve never had a strong sex drive to begin with, and I’m afraid that Propecia may take whatever I do have away. I’ve read a lot of these posts, and you guys have been very helpful on all aspects of hairloss. Any advice you can give me on this would be greatly appreciated.

20something

Established Member
Reaction score
wmiller - there's no definitive way to tell, although looking at the males in your family is usually a good indicator. If your Dad, grandfathers and uncles are all norwood 2's then that's likely where you'll end up. But I wouldn't bet on that outright, because in my family some men have slight recession, others outright bald, and some thinning diffusely. So I'm not sure what my ultimate prognosis is, but I'm not going to wait and find out without a fight :)

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think (and hope for all our sakes=) that what he meant to say is that is where we WOULD end up, had we not done anything to combat male pattern baldness. Do something to fight it- minoxidil, propecia, nizoral, combo- and you can maintain what you have, hopefully. I know my dad didn't do a damn thing about it, because he figured that with a wife and kids, thinning/balding at age 35+ wasn't a big deal. I agree, sort of, but 1) I don't have a wife yet, and 2) if I can fight it, why not give it a shot, in hopes that a cure will come along in 5-10 years.

But I agree with the rest- greying and balding don't go hand in hand. Or at least I've never read anything saything otherwise.

Ask your family members when they started thinning, and compare your hair pattern to theirs. It seems logical to me that you will follow the pattern of your immediate family members, but also those whose hair pattern most resembles yours.

I also advise you to stay on propecia, give it some time. People are saying l-arginine (I think) can help with sexual side effects. And give your Doctor a hug for the free propecia. That sh*t's not cheap, lucky bastard!! =)

Good luck.

golferpga10

Reaction score
7 Month Mark on Propecia

I have been religiously taking Propecia for 7 months now. After 2 months of taking the drug, I started noticibly shedding. I did not panic because the same shedding happened when I was on Rogaine for the first few weeks...HOWEVER, I have still been shedding for the last 5 months on Propecia. Just wondering if anyone can relate to me and if results might be in the near future. I will stick it out for the full year, but any suggestions are appreiciated. My regimine is 1mg in the morning, and nizoral every 3 days. I quit Rogaine 1 year ago b/c the oily scalp and twice a day application didn't fit into my busy schedule. Although I had great response on Rogaine. I hear lots of stories about people shedding on Propecia until they are really thin, I don't want to be one of those people, but I don't want to give up yet....so what do you say?