Prolactin "minitherapy" with SMI-1 (novel protocol for lowering prolactin locally)

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Correct me if Im wrong. You guys are trying to get your hands on SMI and test your "method" right?

Throwaway94

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@FollicleGuardian what's the (biggest) difference between SMI-1 and the compound from Bayer?
The compound from Bayer is a monoclonal antibody that non-competitively inhibits the prolactin receptor. SMI1 and 6 appear to simply be competitive inhibitors to prolactin (attach to the same binding site as prolactin but don't result in transcription of the same genes that inhibit hair growth).

Andi0501

My Regimen
Reaction score
If this prolactin inhibiting drug from Bayer actually allowed hair to grow again on previously thinned or hairless areas, then the DHT theory that has been valid until now would definitely not be valid because DHD is then not the actual cause of hair loss?
What's your opinion?

Spanishboy97

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The result is probably a much greater inhibition of prlr with the antibody. There's no telling if SMI will work. It should be noted the inventor of SMI says that it will not, but she doesn't seem to be aware of the antibody study or the role of prolactin in Androgenetic Alopecia
You contacted her?

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
DHT is necessary for Androgenetic Alopecia. The AR is the first signal that stops cell proliferation. The PRLR apparently is responsible for keeping cells in a quiescent state after DHT shuts them down.
Do you think that anti-androgens will still be essential if this theory is true?

TurboFixer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No, another member did.

Depends on what you qualify as essential. If you want to stop the balding process and get maximum regrowth then you need AAs. Some people will choose just to take a course of this stuff every couple years and be happy with that.
so do you think that finasteride + SMI6/SMI1 is effectively a 'cure' then?

assuming that SMI6/SMI1 are working as intended as a weaker/localized BAY

FollicleGuardian

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The result is probably a much greater inhibition of prlr with the antibody. There's no telling if SMI will work. It should be noted the inventor of SMI says that it will not, but she doesn't seem to be aware of the antibody study or the role of prolactin in Androgenetic Alopecia
To clarify, the Inventor didn’t even think BAY works for hairloss lmao which it clearly does.

FollicleGuardian

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think we can say it clearly does. This has to be demonstrated in vivo. I think it probably does. The inventor wasn't asked about BAY. I don't think she is even aware they are using it for hair loss
@pegasus2 I will eat my hat if this doesn’t work bro

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
How hilarious would it be if a bunch of guys on discord + a forum found an effective and safe "cure" for hairloss from a google patent write up while pharma companies pour millions into ineffective compounds and growth stimulants. Obviously getting ahead of ourselves here but you guys would be immortalized after this spread onto youtube and outside of the forums/internet, even if not by name.

I wish you luck lol

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The compound from Bayer is a monoclonal antibody that non-competitively inhibits the prolactin receptor. SMI1 and 6 appear to simply be competitive inhibitors to prolactin (attach to the same binding site as prolactin but don't result in transcription of the same genes that inhibit hair growth).

Now I'm totally confused, I thought SMI was a generic name for antagonists.

Well, anyway, where would we get this stuff and at what cost?

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
DHT is necessary for Androgenetic Alopecia. The AR is the first signal that stops cell proliferation. The PRLR apparently is responsible for keeping cells in a quiescent state after DHT shuts them down.
So in layman's terms, DHT kills our follicles, and PRLR is potentially the reason they stay dead even if we're taking dutasteride? And you believe that if we inhibit both hairs will be able to grow back?

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So in layman's terms, DHT kills our follicles, and PRLR is potentially the reason they stay dead even if we're taking dutasteride? And you believe that if we inhibit both hairs will be able to grow back?
I think probably no one knows, but I don't think it's quite like that, because the monkeys got regrowth with the antibody alone, without addressing DHT. Certainly DHT has some role, but you can get regrowth by hitting PRL alone (at least if the monkey model translates).

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
My only reservation is that for stump tailed macaques RU at 5% regrew a ton of hair ... I won’t remind everyone it’s efficacy in those on the forum (myself included)

on a side note has anyone pieced together any decent theory as to how this ties into the whole equation and why the PRLR is deemed to be a significant component of a condition deemed entirely androgenic ?