Prolactin "minitherapy" with SMI-1 (novel protocol for lowering prolactin locally)

TurboFixer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The speculation in this thread is funny. Prolactin's protective effect on sperm is mediated by the AKT pathway, which is also required for hair growth. The fact that the antibody grows hair proves that it doesn't shut down the AKT pathway.
Thanks for the clarification

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would assume so if the small molecule drug reverses miniaturization to the same extent as the antibody. The antibody is out of your system a few weeks after you stop using it and hair growth stops but doesn't reverse, so it seems unlikely that it's having any residual effect on the receptor. If it was then wouldn't hair growth continue? It's more likely that it simply reverses miniaturization to the point that normal Wnt signaling is fully restored, and the balding process has to start over again from the beginning.
And before the balding process can even properly begin, we can try to prevent it as much as possible :)

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
For male mice, no prolactin receptor no problem.

Mice with a targeted disruption of the prolactin (PRL) receptor gene were used to study the physiological role of PRL in the control of the male reproductive function. Fertility parameters as well as body and reproductive organ weights (epididymis and testes) were unaffected in PRL receptor knockout mice. Testicular histology and sperm reserves were also normal. Compared with wild-type animals, [PRLR] knockout mice had no significant difference in basal plasma LH, FSH, and testosterone levels, and the weight of seminal vesicles and prostate was unaffected. Moreover, no alteration was detected in human chorionic gonadotropin-induced testosterone levels. It is concluded that the absence of PRL signaling is not detrimental to male testicular function and to fertility in the mouse.

Zon Ama

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For male mice, no prolactin receptor no problem.

We are always talking about how bad mice are as a reference for humans regarding hair loss.
All human diseases in mice are cured.
I would not compare the impact of prolactin in mice vs humans tbh

Gegen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
We are always talking about how bad mice are as a reference for humans regarding hair loss.

This model is a good indicator despite everything, especially when the data is very significant.

Charger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you're worried about side effects, wait for others who aren't concerned to share their experience with it and then decide whether you want to try it for yourself.

Will Be an Egg in 5 years

My Regimen
Reaction score
As far as I understand you won't need to take this long term, the study from Bayer with the macaques showed prolonged results years after stopping treatment:

So let's hope prolactin levels return to normal when you stop the treatment. But of course we're talking about a different compound than the Bayer one here...
So this is basically a cure?

Zon Ama

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There are reasons mice are bad models for diseases, it's not just mice bad. Mice don't have androgenetic alopecia, but they are good models for receptor function. I wouldn't be paranoid about sexual functioning when mice without prolactin receptors function normally. Half the guys freaking out about it are probably virgins anyway.

This thing isn't a lifelong commitment like finasteride or minoxidil. It's something you take for 6 months, or until you regrow as much as you can, and then you stop. Worst case scenario your libido takes a hit for six months. If you can't deal with that for 6 months to get your hair back then what are you even doing on this forum

Okay, I understand. I am not freaking out tbh, I am just asking out of curiosity. I am just not that deep into all the science behind hair loss/hair regrowth and am trying to understand the mechanisms behind it.
Obviously everyone wants (in the best case) regrowth with minimal/no side effects.

Anyway, when do you guys plan to start this protocol? Is there any estimation?

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not the mouse that's a "bad reference", it's that the models built for mice can usually only encapsulate a few variables of disease biomarkers and they are done so with almost absolute precision. The human body is more complicated and usually the results aren't replicated because you can't properly target the same factors with the same strength or accuracy without affecting other functions or producing toxicological effects.

And all diseases are not cured in mice, that's not how this works as mice generally cannot have a 1:1 copy of a human disease. They look at individual expressions of disease pathways and try and correct them, many of which have success with single pathways involved, but the reality is that there are not many diseases that actually involve 1 pathway or gene. The ones that to are having rapid progress from animal models to humans.

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would assume so if the small molecule drug reverses miniaturization to the same extent as the antibody. The antibody is out of your system a few weeks after you stop using it and hair growth stops but doesn't reverse, so it seems unlikely that it's having any residual effect on the receptor. If it was then wouldn't hair growth continue? It's more likely that it simply reverses miniaturization to the point that normal Wnt signaling is fully restored, and the balding process has to start over again from the beginning.
Sorry I'm a bit behind on the science here. So hair cloning companies talking about hair loss being caused by DP cells being killed, is that reversed by a prolactin inhibitor? How exactly would the inhibitor reverse miniaturization?

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
BAY doesn't prevent PRL from binding to the receptor. It increases prolactin levels by inhibiting negative feedback mechanisms which limit prolactin production

In other words, when the receptor is activated by PRL there's a negative feedback telling the body to produce less PRL or that PRL production is sufficient since the receptor is being activated?

Spanishboy97

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If results on monkeys were so good why do you guys think this hasn't been advertirsed as much as other future treatments in specialized pages like it usually happens??

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
If results on monkeys were so good why do you guys think this hasn't been advertirsed as much as other future treatments in specialized pages like it usually happens??
Rights held by a smaller Chinese company, I would assume. They don't even have a live website, and crunchbase lists them at 1-10 people employed and series A financing raised in 2019.

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Spanishboy97

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Rights held by a smaller Chinese company, I would assume. They don't even have a live website, and crunchbase lists them at 1-10 people employed and series A financing raised in 2019.
But in this business we even hear a lot even about small start ups like Replicel I don't know... Besides arent they working with Bayer?

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
But in this business we even hear a lot even about small start ups like Replicel I don't know... Besides arent they working with Bayer?
Yeah but Replicel is a public North American company that published articles to generate hype and funding, even if it's worth under 15m. We're basically talking about a private Chinese company valued at even less then that given a patent to work with. I'm not really surprised, I bet there are many similar studies/compounds/patents that have never been pursued that showed early promise in animal models.

If they do initiate phase 2 trials this year, whether in China or anywhere, I'm sure this will explode in mentions & hype.

Last edited:

Zon Ama

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah but Replicel is a public North American company, even if it's worth under 15m. We're basically talking about a private Chinese company valued at even less then that given a patent to work with.

Thats what I dont understand.. why is a big pharma company like Bayer giving away a promising hair loss treatment with the potential of billions in revenue? Seems like they are not convinced? I read that Hope Medicine gave them "an offer they could not reject", still this is suspicious af.

Same goes with SHT and J. Hewitt.. what or who is J. Hewitt? Jon Knight (is this even a real person?) talked about how he will deliver before Tsuji. Nothing. Nothing but talk. Such a promising technology thrown away.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thats what I dont understand.. why is a big pharma company like Bayer giving away a promising hair loss treatment with the potential of billions in revenue? Seems like they are not convinced? I read that Hope Medicine gave them "an offer they could not reject", still this is suspicious af.

Same goes with SHT and J. Hewitt.. what or who is J. Hewitt? Jon Knight (is this even a real person?) talked about how he will deliver before Tsuji. Nothing. Nothing but talk. Such a promising technology thrown away.
They didn't give it away, they made a strategic partnership that shifts the development costs onto another company but retains the potential for revenues. Literally, HopeMedicine could have offered Bayer 70% of profits for 10 years post commercialization or something ridiculous.

Regardless of how big a pharma company is, they still might not have the resources to spare to push something into clinical development at any given time, or simply don't think it aligns with their current portfolio or R&D targets. We are talking about Bayer here, a company that just settled multiple lawsuits for billions because they lied about not knowing a chemical caused cancer. They might not want to pursue compounds that could behave similar to finasteride (another lawsuit machine) for a cosmetic purpose. In addition, maybe they have something more/equally promising/profitable in the development pipeline in the same area that they'd rather focus on themselves while allowing another company to assume the costs associated with this antibody.

Last edited: