Please Keep This Thread Alive With Pictures Of Your Hair System

WheeljackG1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am just coming up on my one year hair-anniversary - so still relatively new to this. But I was adamant in how I wanted the density of my hair to be. The salon I used started me off as a Medium density - and I lost my sh*t at the results. WAY too thick! So they thinned it out a lot, and from that point, I moved to a Medium-lite density. From here we thin it out to where it needs to be. I wanted to move to a lite density, but I am always talked out of it for that very reason - it will thin and not hold up.

(My profile photo is my first system after we thinned and shortened out. It looks good, but still a tad too thick overall.)

I just moved back up to replacing the system every 8 weeks - and it seems to hold up well. I don't know that I can get another month out of it though.
Wow, amazing results. Pardon me if it's obvious or if I missed it, but what base do you use?

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Diesel guy you have nailed the look -- it is amazing.

I am in my 40s and I find my density is too high as well, and the salon always tries to talk me out of lower densities. My pics are earlier on this thread and I will also put my latest (new system) pics up soon.

The benefit of a bit more density is of course that the system lasts longer. I got 8 months out of my last system, though it did need some extra maintenance in the last 3 months or so. Actually my systems are probably in the "perfect" stage from month 2 to month 5, approximately. They shed just that 'right' amount and leave me with a lower density and flatter hair. I really don't like 'bouncy' hair!

The other thing is that I wear UTS. It's incredibly easy to maintain and really comfortable, but it seems that lower density and non-bouncy hair isn't possible with UTS. I would love to be corrected on this!

@Diesel guy is yours a lace system?

Deg_dilemma,

It took a while, but I finally ended up with a hybrid system. Lace in the front, and on the top of my head - picture a light bulb. The light bulb shape is all lace, and the perimeter around it is poly. I use glue and tape on the poly so I don't get lifting - and the Delyn on the lace.

I hear people talk about UTS - what is that?

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah my temple points were gone before I was even a norwood 3!

Nope. This is where I feel that hair transplant surgeons are dishonest with young men - sides and back hair does thin significantly in many men when they get older. Look at bald men in their 50's, 60's and 70's and many of them only have a 'horshoe' of hair that is so thin and fine that a transplant scar of any kind will be highly visible.

For that reason I think it's more likely than not that, at some point in your life, you will become unhappy with the results of even the best hair transplants.

The salon I use for my system also does transplants, so there are several people walking round with systems, and transplants both. What hair I have left is very thin, and my fear is I would have a head full of thin hair I can't do anything with - and over time not get any better. I made the right decision to go with a system.

firewatch9999

My Regimen
Reaction score
Custom system from SlyHair company in NYC. Custom curl and color match, color has faded a bit so it’s even closer now (and back on my head for anyone who saw my panic thread last week)

How long have you had the system for and how well have the curls kept in that time. Is there a scale or number for the type of curl you got in your system. Also any further info on it would be fantastic, base type, tape all around or tape + glue, and a picture from the back if possible.
Also since your hair is longer in the back have you found it to be easy to blend the system with your regular hair

It looks really good. When i do eventually bite the bullet and get a hair system I would like something similar. Thanks

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. So I suppose it's not as durable as a full lace? Maybe more durable then a normal poly though?

I run into my issue on the front of the system - where I comb it over from right to left. That is the part that takes all the strain - and I tend to thin out there a bit. The rest of the unit doesn't really get much stress on it.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My new system can be seen at:
<removed>

Pics taken mostly in strong/harsh lighting so that you can see the detail.

Not liking it yet but it does take a couple of weeks to settle in. At the moment it feels too dense and bouncy, and too black.

The styles in the pics are just me experimenting.

Last edited:

DavidBelfast

My Regimen
Reaction score
The salon I use for my system also does transplants, so there are several people walking round with systems, and transplants both. What hair I have left is very thin, and my fear is I would have a head full of thin hair I can't do anything with - and over time not get any better. I made the right decision to go with a system.

Agree - since you have the 'temple triangle' (that I drew on your photo) intact, there is no reason for you to get a transplant. A transplant would not get you a better result than a system currently gets you and comes with long term risks that a system does not.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Agree - since you have the 'temple triangle' (that I drew on your photo) intact, there is no reason for you to get a transplant. A transplant would not get you a better result than a system currently gets you and comes with long term risks that a system does not.
Have to chime in and disagree. A hair transplant is not for everyone and I myself decided against one.
However the risks associated with transplants are only short-term risk, regarding infection. Yes scarring is a risk but that's not really long term in the sense that it wouldn't progress, get worse, or cause further issues. The long-term risk comes with a hair system. We have no idea what the long-term effects are of these glues and adhesives on our scalp nearly 24/7. If you read an MSDS sheet for any acrylic hair adhesive it clearly states if it gets on your skin immediately wash it off
Science tells us that anything we apply to our skin, 60% of it will be in our bloodstream within 26 seconds, moving through every one of our organs! The scalp is one of the most vascular parts of our body too.

It's scary and I wish it weren't that way.... Because I'm in the same boat as everyone else on here with exposure to glues and adhesives

Hope it's safer than all the bootleg toppik I was breathing for years

I am a very critical person, and Diesel guy, you've got it nailed!!

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Have to chime in and disagree. A hair transplant is not for everyone and I myself decided against one.
However the risks associated with transplants are only short-term risk, regarding infection. Yes scarring is a risk but that's not really long term in the sense that it wouldn't progress, get worse, or cause further issues. The long-term risk comes with a hair system. We have no idea what the long-term effects are of these glues and adhesives on our scalp nearly 24/7. If you read an MSDS sheet for any acrylic hair adhesive it clearly states if it gets on your skin immediately wash it off
Science tells us that anything we apply to our skin, 60% of it will be in our bloodstream within 26 seconds, moving through every one of our organs! The scalp is one of the most vascular parts of our body too.

It's scary and I wish it weren't that way.... Because I'm in the same boat as everyone else on here with exposure to glues and adhesives

As long the glue is just acrylic polymers and water, what could absorb? Macromolecules and water -- like milk. Prohairlabs' glues are just like this. The others don't name their ingredients, though, so yeah, I wouldn't use anything else but Ghostbond.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
As long the glue is just acrylic polymers and water, what could absorb? Macromolecules and water -- like milk. Prohairlabs' glues are just like this. The others don't name their ingredients, though, so yeah, I wouldn't use anything else but Ghostbond.
There is no water in acrylic.... lots of Real Deal chemicals.

If there were no risk they wouldn't say not to get it on your skin. That's a liability... CYA

Fanjeera

Reaction score
There is no water in acrylic.... lots of Real Deal chemicals.

If there were no risk they wouldn't say not to get it on your skin. That's a liability... CYA
https://prohairlabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Ghost-Bond-XL-MSDS.pdf

"3. Composition/information on ingredients 3.0 Chemical characterisation (substance): Dispersion of acrylic polymers in water. Also contains: Preservative: Blend of Parabens and Phenoxyetanol. ___________________________________________________________________"

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Thank you for the compliment. I will make sure I pass on the positive feedback the stylist who makes the magic happen.

New question. Does anyone besides myself prefer synthetic Gray hair over natural? I as because my salon moved me to natural gray hair, and it was a disaster. Light would reflect off the individual strands, and it looked like I had flashing lights on my head. They ended up replacing that system after 2 weeks and three visits to tamp it down.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
https://prohairlabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Ghost-Bond-XL-MSDS.pdf

"3. Composition/information on ingredients 3.0 Chemical characterisation (substance): Dispersion of acrylic polymers in water. Also contains: Preservative: Blend of Parabens and Phenoxyetanol. ___________________________________________________________________"
Ghost bond is not acrylic....
I specifically stated acrylic because acrylic has the highest risk.

Look up the most common and popular formulations. Ultra hold, davlin green, davlin black, super tape, ultrahold tape.

You will see heptane, ethyl acetate, toulene.... just to name a few. Some are classified as carcinogens others are just flat-out known to be toxic to some degree.

I would also not be so Cavalier that it's just polymers. Look up what chemicals are combined to create those polymers. There's a risk to everything.

Last edited:

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wouldn't be worried about the health risks associated with transplants. I'm more bothered by the issue that they don't always take.

They're also costly and it seems like the only way to get impressive results is to have multiple surgeries. The fact that it also takes 12 months for the hair to grow in is just too long for me. I like instant gratification.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wouldn't be worried about the health risks associated with transplants. I'm more bothered by the issue that they don't always take.

They're also costly and it seems like the only way to get impressive results is to have multiple surgeries. The fact that it also takes 12 months for the hair to grow in is just too long for me. I like instant gratification.
I agree 100%. This is why I went with a system for gratification. However we cannot turn a blind eye to the health risks associated with it.