Oral Steroid Made My Hair Grow Back Thicker!

ChemHead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is the diet supposed to block DHT?
Not at all. It's firstly meant to accelerate your body's own ability to heal itself, but it will also cause higher expression of steroid metabolizing enzymes like 5AR and aromatase (increase in areas of the body where they belong and decrease in areas they don't). It will also increase steroid synthesis.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not at all. It's firstly meant to accelerate your body's own ability to heal itself, but it will also cause higher expression of steroid metabolizing enzymes like 5AR and aromatase (increase in areas of the body where they belong and decrease in areas they don't). It will also increase steroid synthesis.
Ok so sort of like equol

ChemHead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You don't want to get rid of 5AR expression. In fact, if you could flip a switch and increase expression of 5AR in the brain, this would cause an increase in steroid synthesis, an increase in aromatase expression, and would likely have a very positive effect on hair growth. 5AR is only a problem when it's overexpressed in places we don't want it (like the hair follicle). However, it's an absolute necessity in many other areas of the body which include sexual tissues, mucosal and digestive tissues, and kidney and liver tissue.

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This original thread was by Davy Weir I believe 4 years ago & 20 thread pages ago. He last messaged 4 years ago. The thread has since been taken over & diverted to countless rabbit holes.
He stated he used Anavar (Oxandrolone for 7 weeks. Instead of losing hair he thickened hair by his reckoning. This is ALL he used. So the natural question is has anyone else noticed the same thing?
I started reading the posts & quickly realized even the original poster lost interest in the discussion.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
This original thread was by Davy Weir I believe 4 years ago & 20 thread pages ago. He last messaged 4 years ago. The thread has since been taken over & diverted to countless rabbit holes.
He stated he used Anavar (Oxandrolone for 7 weeks. Instead of losing hair he thickened hair by his reckoning. This is ALL he used. So the natural question is has anyone else noticed the same thing?
I started reading the posts & quickly realized even the original poster lost interest in the discussion.
Yeah. There is no flow or anything to threads that nobody writes on because no body has a thread that's just up sort of without answering questions and there's enough on here that some of what I try to do is repetitive and Janey is sort of a different thing on this end than that end. There is a joy to all of this long hair but there's also the notion that I finally won after 37 years so now what? I don't know. I was actually in a conventional situation during my marriage and got plenty out of it but some times events conspire more against me or others than anyone intends.

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So,I was fascinated about Anavar/Oxandrolone. Why did Davy Weir report hair thickening.
Anavar is a DHT-derivative, so it doesn’t convert to DHT, however it can still cause hair loss in sensitive individuals. Some users however notice the OPPOSITE and that their hair actually grows thicker on anavar.
Why?
Because anavar is classed as a very mild steroid, in a study performed in 1999 it was shown that just 15mg of the drug decreased natural testosterone levels by nearly 40%.
Maybe because it decreases Testosterone by 40% while building muscle & decreasing fat..
Hmmmmmm…

ChemHead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So,I was fascinated about Anavar/Oxandrolone. Why did Davy Weir report hair thickening.
Anavar is a DHT-derivative, so it doesn’t convert to DHT, however it can still cause hair loss in sensitive individuals. Some users however notice the OPPOSITE and that their hair actually grows thicker on anavar.
Why?
Because anavar is classed as a very mild steroid, in a study performed in 1999 it was shown that just 15mg of the drug decreased natural testosterone levels by nearly 40%.
Maybe because it decreases Testosterone by 40% while building muscle & decreasing fat..
Hmmmmmm…
I already explained it somewhere lost in this thread. Since Anavar isn't DHT, it won't have the same exact physiological effects as DHT... the genes transcribed when complexed with the androgen receptor will not be the same as DHT. However, since Anavar does still have anabolic and some androgenic properties, you won't notice the typical signs of androgen deprivation.

The second aspect of this is that by adding another competing AR ligand into the mixture, you are creating an acute spike in testosterone concentration (as well as DHT, androstenedione, etc.) which will create a subsequent increase in estrogen synthesis. So, a combination of "DHT replacement", eliminating the transcription of the genes it transcribes that cause hair loss, and increase in local estrogen synthesis (albeit, possibly short-term).

Same thing happens with nandrolone except that nandrolone can also be 5AR reduced. So, it's competing with T and DHT for the AR, but also competing with T for 5AR. So, more T left to be aromatized.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anavar (which is already much less androgenic than T) is already 5 alpha reduced, and therefore it does not have any metabolites that are more androgenic. Synthetic steroids are generally more tissue selective IIRC. So essentially what happens is that it can sort of take the place where DHT would normally bind to AR. In effect, it operates as an anti androgen in that sense.

ChemHead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anavar (which is already much less androgenic than T) is already 5 alpha reduced, and therefore it does not have any metabolites that are more androgenic. Synthetic steroids are generally more tissue selective IIRC. So essentially what happens is that it can sort of take the place where DHT would normally bind to AR. In effect, it operates as an anti androgen in that sense.
It's just an AR agonist that lacks the ability to cause transcription of the same genes DHT does that contribute to hair loss.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's just an AR agonist that lacks the ability to cause transcription of the same genes DHT does that contribute to hair loss.
As well as T! It seems promising if microdosed and cycled.

Jake is referring to temporary endogenous suppression, which may not necessarily be good for hair - as less T may very well mean less E. But this comes from taking too much of the drug for too long.

ChemHead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As well as T! It seems promising if microdosed and cycled.

I actually don't believe that T influences hair loss at all. I think it's more of a neutral bystander. But if you can find a study that shows 5AR knockout mice lose hair via T, I might reconsider. My personal experience has proven to me that very high levels of T are completely harmless to hair.. Necessary, even, for estrogen synthesis.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I actually don't believe that T influences hair loss at all. I think it's more of a neutral bystander. But if you can find a study that shows 5AR knockout mice lose hair via T, I might reconsider. My personal experience has proven to me that very high levels of T are completely harmless to hair.. Necessary, even, for estrogen synthesis.
What do you make of guys on big doses of dutasteride and still seem to lose hair? Or the anecdotal reports of hairline shedding on dutasteride? Does the receptor upregulate and still attract enough DHT to trigger miniaturization?

ChemHead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What do you make of guys on big doses of dutasteride and still seem to lose hair? Or the anecdotal reports of hairline shedding on dutasteride? Does the receptor upregulate and still attract enough DHT to trigger miniaturization?
I think we all know that each of us often responds differently to the same drug and this comes down to genetic differences in enzyme expression, enzyme structure, and receptor expression and structure among a few other variables.

It's my opinion that people who experience sheds on either finasteride or dutasteride fit into one of the following categories:

1. Susceptibility to HPTA dysregulation caused high serum estrogens caused by lack of 5AR expression, ultimately causing reduction in steroidogenesis and aromatase expression which results in an insufficiency of estrogenic activity in the skin and hair follicles.

2. Difference in gene expression that causes finasteride or dutasteride to be ineffective at binding 5AR in the skin/hair follicle (whether protein structure differences in 5AR enzyme or some other interfering influence). So, imagine that maybe for some reason, dutasteride is ineffective at binding SRD5A2 due to some unique genetic difference in enzyme structure (or some other external influence which regulates the ability of a ligand to bind SRD5A2), but dutasteride is still effective at binding type 1 and type 3 5AR... then you would still experience a systemic increase in testosterone from inhibition of those isoforms, but in the skin/hair follicle you would actually be experiencing higher than normal DHT synthesis since the dutasteride is ineffective in binding 5AR there (for whatever reason that may be).

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just wanted to update…ordered some anavar per original poster … see if it comes. ..I’m such a nerd I got 10% off..
See if it grows hair..